Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Here we go again! Let's hope nothing comes of it. Nothing serious.

There's a big time system that has the possibility to grow into another H-word. Yes, Floridarians, you know what it is.

Here's to another season!!!?!
I don't think it will match last season. You know the taking out an entire city thing.

But who knows, "hey, it can happen"
Meh. Saw it earlier, looked like a big rain storm. We'll see what happens.
That storm is now Tropical Depression 1. I'm not sure of a big time storm coming around like Katrina (and we all certainly hope not), but as far as numbers are concerned, it may be another heavy-hitter. Let's wait to survey the year until November 30th when all this is over.
Oh yea, the money tree about to shake. Bring on the big wind please.

Jim T.
It'll be nuttin'. Gonna bring us some much needed rain to replenish Lake Okeechobee and curb the drought fears. No biggie, I promise.
Seriously. Its getting DRY around here.

Bring on the rain!
Yeah, we really do need the rain.

Tropical Storm Alberto will hopefully stay what it is: a tropical storm.

Wow, 12 days into the season and we already have our first named storm. Let's see what the season holds for us.
It just rained where I live late yesturday and early this morning. Wasn't much, but I think the plants loved it.
Originally posted by KerryKool:
It just rained where I live late yesturday and early this morning. Wasn't much, but I think the plants loved it.

Umm, you were saying?

Jim T
Okay, today I had a least 6". Is the tropical storm now a hurricane? I heard it from a friend and haven't been keeping up with the news.
Be safe everyone!
Last I heard they were thinking it would barely make Cat. 1 hurricane just before landfall. Landfall was looking like the "armpit" area of FL. After landfall its supposed to lose strength quickly.

They are still just expecting this to not be much more than a rain maker. And man has the rain been nice so far!
The rain is good, but hopefully its in sessions, we don't want a flood. Besides, in the next few days I'll have to drain my pool if we get more than 6" inches.
I just hope it keeps going mainly east and doesn't head too north, like the TN/NC border.
At 70 MPH! Just a little more windspeed, and he's a hurricane.

I can't wait to get out of here!
...I'll have to drain my pool if we get more than 6" inches.

Why so?
It will over flow if I don't. But I don't think I'll need to do that now. Its not raining as heavy as I thought it would.
It will over flow if I don't. But I don't think I'll need to do that now. Its not raining as heavy as I thought it would.

Assuming yours is in-ground (as opposed to above ground where you *might* have a concern with base erosion from overflow), the only reason it flowing over (or, more simply, shedding rainwater once it fills) will be of any concern is if your deck and drain system isn't capable of rejecting the water...i.e. either it's badly designed or improperly maintained. If your deck can't shed rainwater impinging on its entire area including the pool, you need to be looking for a drainage solution, not risking pump and/or shell damage by draining your pool partially or more. After all, your pool shell is simply a concrete boat and, if partially drained, it would be more than happy to crack or float itself from the hyraulic pressure aroud it at a time when you may need to be concerned with roof, soffit, landscape, or other wind-damage repairs.

Otherwise, just shock it and enjoy the storm. You or the kids will have fun splashing the extra water out once the weather system blows through.

The property we just sold in Melbourne rode out Erin, Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma, each of which doled out between 6" and a foot of drink, topping the pool each time. We never drained it one bit, and the deck drain system did its job, dumping runoff into the yard. We didn't have the best draining yard (it was still positive drainage, but only marginally so), but even then it wasn't a problem for the deck.
We just moved into the house with the pool, we are not sure how well it drains on its own. There is a skimmer and the pool is built in the ground but we never had a pool, so we just take extra precautions, just in case. But I know what your getting at.
They normally say not to drain your pools before a hurricane. Here's why:

When you get that hard amount of rain coming in, soaking into the ground, sure, it'll fill up slowly, but the aquifer several feet below you will put pressure against your pool, changing the shape of it, and possibly making it spring a leak into the ground worsening the situation (having your pool in a "pool" of mud), costing you more in maintenance and water costs.

Whatever you do, don't get into your pool even a week after the hurricane passes even if you have power. That water is so cold, your balls will jump into your throat before you're knee-deep in the water.
"If" I need to drain the pool, we have a setup that makes the excess water run straight to the street and then to the sewer system.

Friday, I had some heavy rain, but it didn't bring the pool water level high enough to worry about it. But I did find out there is some thing wrong with our skimmer(drain on the patio.) I need to find out whats wrong w/ it soon.
© CEG Archives