Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: GilNewball Drivers in Florida... - 11/16/05 05:31 AM

How do you drive?
I drive to the full extent of the law
So I speed occasionally, and I may forget to use the turn signal. Innocent Mistake!
You mean that blue I-95 sign is NOT the speed limit?
Who needs a speed limit? I don't!

Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/16/05 03:57 PM
You need a category that says I speed occasionally but always use my turn signal. I hate drivers around here who never use their turn signals.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/16/05 05:18 PM
So far, I'm the only one who drive according to the laws...
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/16/05 06:20 PM
You and me, both!
Posted By: svttour_dup1 Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/16/05 08:49 PM
I chose the first one too
Posted By: gulfcat Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/17/05 04:53 AM
Well, I chose the second, but I too nearly always use a turn signal. (Ihe driving instructors of a 1-day course I took got their biggest laugh of the day when I went through a "chase" using signals at every turn, & didn't even know I'd done it.) I really hate that using turn signals isn't required by FL law.

The amount I speed depends on the season: more tourists = lower safe speed, in my experience. (By March each year I'm tempted to buy one of the bumper stickers that say "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?")

I'm also a fanatic about NOT running red lights or stop signs & am always wary of those who do.
Posted By: TjZ Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/17/05 11:29 PM
Who needs a speed limit? I don't!
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/18/05 03:22 AM
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:
You need a category that says I speed occasionally but always use my turn signal. I hate drivers around here who never use their turn signals.

I do the exact same thing, the only time I don't use my turn signal is when I am in my subdivision and there are no cars behind me, but that is very rare to see nowadays.

-KJ
Posted By: zetec herman Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/18/05 03:33 AM
Seems safe to me to go about 5 MPH over limit. I always use my turn signal.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/18/05 05:08 AM
This morning, I was driving my mon's Montero to school, and a woman ON HER PHONE flew past me at at least 85 mph. Another motorcyclist cape between me and another car and Lord knows what speed.

Another time, a truck was completely stopped in the middle of the I-95. Lights off, ALL OF THEM.

Florida has some really inept drivers.
Posted By: reyesy13 Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/18/05 07:14 PM
Florida, specifically MIAMI is possibly the worst place in the world to drive...coming from NY where people say it's crazy up there, they haven't seen nothing yet with the drivers down here...
Sometimes I wonder if southern hospitality stopped at the GA state line...
Either way, I speed like crazy, use my turn signal NONSTOP, and try not to get hit...Defensive Driver all the way...
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/19/05 02:48 AM
It does stop at the GA line. Above that, people marry their cousins. Below it, people marry their kind.

Just tonight, I was driving down A1A,and some bastard passed me, simply because I was driving too slow. The speed limit is too slow for people.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/19/05 05:36 AM
Originally posted by gilroynewball:
The speed limit is too slow for people.

Why are you mad? The speed limit is too slow. Speed limits really haven't changed in forever, while cars have become safer and whatnot.
Speed doesn't kill, bad driving does.
Posted By: GIT-R-DONE Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/19/05 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
The speed limit is too slow for people.

Why are you mad? The speed limit is too slow. Speed limits really haven't changed in forever, while cars have become safer and whatnot.
Speed doesn't kill, bad driving does.

im with him!

i may speed but with the driving that i do, people who ride with me are comfortable riding with me at speeds 100+. But being that i dont drive the tour anymore, im forced to drive normal, which means being a defensive driver first.
Posted By: jthursby Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/29/05 05:19 AM
I thought Tampa was bad but I'm stuck in the Miami area for a few months and it's insane how they drive here. But you know what I've learned? You can't spank a baby for sh!tt!ng it's diaper! Best you can do is be defensive.

Jim
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/29/05 06:02 AM
Originally posted by jthursby:
But you know what I've learned? You can't spank a baby for sh!tt!ng it's diaper!

[rant(well sorta)]Well, although that may be true, that is not the case in Miami. I learned to drive in that hell hole of a city(as far as the driving is concerned) and the biggest problem is people's ignorance for the law, which is not a defense. I'm in no way saying I'm perfect, nor do I drive like I am. For the most part I only want people to keep up with the general flow, use turn signals, and NOT CUT ME OFF! [/rant]

Robert
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/29/05 04:06 PM
As you drive south on I-95 from say, Georgia, the supid meter reads relatively normal until you reach the Palm Beach County line. Within a few miles the needle is pegged on 'BRAIN DEAD MORONS !!'

Posted By: GilNewball Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/30/05 04:10 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
As you drive south on I-95 from say, Georgia, the supid meter reads relatively normal until you reach the Palm Beach County line. Within a few miles the needle is pegged on 'BRAIN DEAD MORONS !!'

WORD!!!!!!!!!

The Floridiots are concentrated here.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/30/05 04:42 PM
Gets even worse as you go south. Trust me on that one.

I look at driving in PBC as a challenge - sorta like in Boston or Quebec. In Miami, it's a NIGHTMARE!!
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/30/05 05:26 PM
I drive the turnpike down from orlando once or twice a month. And what tourdeforce said is aboslutely true. You hit that Palm Beach County line, drives go from normal to complete morons in an instance. Hit the Broward line and it goes from complete morons to inconsiderate @$$holes. At the Dade county line it just goes to hell. I don't know how they do it. I've seen people that have driven all the way down from orlando with me change completely as soon as they hit Palm Beach. It's CRAZY!

Robert
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Drivers in Florida... - 11/30/05 08:23 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

I look at driving in PBC as a challenge - sorta like in Boston or Quebec.

That's because of all them snowbirds coming down. Today, I saw about 10 Canadian plates, most from Ontario, some from Quebec.
Posted By: StealthWyvern Re: Drivers in Florida... - 12/07/05 10:04 PM
Eh... try driving in Orange Park Jacksonville... morons cant drive thier what so ever. You can be sitting at a light being the first one to make the left turn and not be able to make that turn because everyone is running the damn red light! Man that pisses me off. Oh on the other hand thier was a sting one day and the police gave out like 400 tickets in one day!!! Accourding to an officer who poltrolled the hotel I used to work at.

However I think people in Jaxs cant drive because NAS Jax and Mayport Naval Base! My gf hates it when i say floridaian can't drive. Ive even driven in Cali in the L.A. area and Las Vagas adn it not be that bad.

(however vagas you have to watch out for teh taxi drivers. They will run you over.)
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Drivers in Florida... - 12/07/05 11:43 PM
Originally posted by StealthWyvern:

However I think people in Jaxs cant drive because NAS Jax and Mayport Naval Base! My gf hates it when i say floridaian can't drive. Ive even driven in Cali in the L.A. area and Las Vagas adn it not be that bad.

I've lived in LA all my life until recently (unfortunately). At least people in other states know that traffic laws actually exist.

Besides, only in Florida will you find a temporary seat belt enforcement for minors. Heck, they don't even have seat belt laws. Apparently, using a safety belt is a recommendation.
Posted By: StealthWyvern Re: Drivers in Florida... - 12/07/05 11:54 PM

only in Florida will you find a temporary seat belt enforcement for minors. Heck, they don't even have seat belt laws. Apparently, using a safety belt is a recommendation.

They did that! Now I have something else to tease my gf about. lol ty
Posted By: GIT-R-DONE Re: Drivers in Florida... - 12/09/05 04:56 AM
i guess youve not heard of "click it or tick'it " ?

I didnt know that florida allowed drivers to not use their seatbelts? Although i do know that at least here in duval county, they could not stop you for only a seatblet violation. but that has since changed, and they are allowed to do so now.

Wherever you are, there will be plenty of dumb drivers. I drive on the road between jacksonville, ponte vedra, st augustine, and orange park everyday, i see plenty of thing that make you say hmmmm.... Will it ever end? No!

Found this

Florida laws

Safety Belts
The driver and front seat passenger must wear seat belts. This seat belt law applies to passenger cars manufactured beginning with the 1968 model year, and trucks beginning with the 1972 model year.
It is unlawful for any person to operate a vehicle in this state unless every passenger of the vehicle under the age of 18 is restrained by a safety belt or by a child restraint device, regardless of seating position.
If the passenger is 18 years of age or older and fails to wear a seat belt when required by law, the passenger will be charged with the violation.

The law exempts the following from the seat belt requirements:

Any person certified by a physician as having a medical condition that causes the seat belt use to be inappropriate or dangerous.
Employee of a newspaper home delivery service while delivering newspapers on home delivery routes.
School buses.
Buses used for transportation of persons for compensation.
Farm equipment.
Trucks of a net weight of more than 5,000 pounds.
Motorcycle, moped or bicycle.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Drivers in Florida... - 12/10/05 08:34 PM
Ah. Thanks.

But it still doesn't help FHP in enforcing the law. I have seen the "Click It or Ticket" signs. Nobody pays attention to them.

But I do recall seeing on the news that they began to ticket drivers carrying minors without their seat belts recently. That should have been done a long time ago.

And, one FHP dude was tailgating me from Jupiter all the way to Lantana on the I-95. I was at the speed limit the whole time. As soon as I change lanes, the guy floors it and passes me like a crazed man. Florida should be more strict on their laws.

Just a rant.
Posted By: StealthWyvern Re: Drivers in Florida... - 12/12/05 04:06 AM
hey chris whats up, yes ive heard of click it or ticket. Texas has had that saying for god only knows how long... I wounder who started the click it or ticket thing. Was it North Carolina?
Posted By: OB1 Re: Drivers in Florida... - 03/06/06 04:11 AM
I spent some time yesterday in Pensacola, I agree drvers there suck! It was saturday & bikes were everywhere, not the good guys either these guys were showing out & doing burnouts while sitting at stoplights! I was at a gas station & I saw three people get out of thier vehicles drinking beer while pumping gas( I was there for a couple of hours) & I saw one guy drive off jump the curb & spin tires through the grassy median. The whole time I was standing there like WTF everyone else was like no big deal!
Posted By: GilNewball Re: Drivers in Florida... - 03/07/06 03:57 AM
Yup. That's Flori-duh. Dem Floridiots run around.

I hope it sinks.

© CEG Archives