Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: HITMANinMI Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 08/31/04 09:41 PM
I seriously dont see how you Florida residents can stand it. Hurricanes all the time it seems.
Hurriance Francis, now Catergoy 4 winds at 140, gusts at 165mph. If it stays that strong it is going to be total devesation whereever it hits.
Good luck to everyone that lives there, hope nothing happens to you by the way.

Posted By: StealthWyvern Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 08/31/04 10:04 PM
thanks im gonna need it. This crap is going to drive me nuts. I just bought my first house and within 2 months two Hurriances have gotten me nervous. oh well.. just one of th perks of owing a trailor house.
Posted By: GIT-R-DONE Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 08/31/04 11:06 PM
dude , i feel more sorry for the fellow floridians down south that are still cleaning up from Charlie , but on the other hand, this is heading right for ME!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: StealthWyvern Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 08/31/04 11:17 PM
hey done, What side of jville are you in?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 08/31/04 11:34 PM
Holy poop, I'm gonna die. Man, somebody told me we have to evacuate campus if it comes here. Man screw that, Ima stay.
Posted By: SAV Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 08/31/04 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Holy poop, I'm gonna die. Man, somebody told me we have to evacuate campus if it comes here. Man screw that, Ima stay.

I'll come over! We can get drunk and party without the RAs there to say anything about it!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 08/31/04 11:45 PM
Sounds good to me.
Posted By: GIT-R-DONE Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/01/04 12:46 AM
danny, its chris!!
Posted By: StealthWyvern Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/01/04 01:44 AM
lol im a retard! Should of read the sig. Anyways man if your in the op area stop by my job some time and say hi.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/01/04 08:25 AM
looks like my parents in ocala are not going to be so lucky this time. i dont even think they got all of the sand out of our beach house yet from the last one!
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/01/04 01:03 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
looks like my parents in ocala are not going to be so lucky this time. i dont even think they got all of the sand out of our beach house yet from the last one!

Yeah, my mom is in Ocala too. I may have to drive down and get her and bring her up here, so long as this damn thing doesn't turn our way.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/01/04 03:36 PM
<--------- ( Cowering in corner sucking his thumb...)

Seriously, I've got a plan. Always got to have a plan, son.

PLAN:

Step 1 - Run away.

Step 2 - Return when storm has passed.
Tour, are you anywhere close to Stuart, FL? I've got a job we're doing at a retirement home down there.

Rick
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/01/04 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Tour, are you anywhere close to Stuart, FL? I've got a job we're doing at a retirement home down there.

Ya, it's less than an hour north of me & that's where I usually buy my cars (much more hungry than the dealers in Palm Beach County). One of my brothers lives in Palm City, which is just outside of Stuart.

The shutters have been put up on Town Hall & now I feel like I'm working at night - must get home to fix dinner... LOL!
It was a nice little city when we were down there a few months ago. I like Florida from what I've seen of it. I've been there on business 4 times in the last 2 years and had a nice time every time I've been there. I usually manage to sneak at least one full day of leisure time in every time I go. Last time my wife came with and we took a few days and went to visit her Grandpa up by Daytona Beach and did some toursity things as well.

Rick
Posted By: 2K SVT Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/02/04 12:42 AM
Neil, Brinn, & Roland....you guys hanging out are skipping town?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/02/04 02:07 AM
If anybody has to leave and doesn't have a place to stay, my dorm floor is open to you for the weekend.
Posted By: Renee_dup1 Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/02/04 11:57 AM
LOL Kremit, but it might be coming towards you.

Anyway, I would offer my home but we might have 7 people coming here already. BOY oh boy, gotta love the hurricane season.
Shoot, depending on what this thing might do in the next couple of days, we are looking at getting the heck out of Charleston ourselves.
Posted By: blake_dup1 Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/02/04 12:45 PM
Originally posted by 2K SVT:

i think brinn and family were hitting the road around midnight last night - they were already planning on heading north for the auburn/louisiana-monroe football game in auburn this weekend and decided to bump up the schedule by a day and a half.

wise move, imho....lotta unknowns w/ this storm, it would appear - considering the entire east coast of florida is a possible landfall target!
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/02/04 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Renee:
LOL Kremit, but it might be coming towards you.

Yeah, but other than heavy rain and some wind, I doubt it'll be anything too major here. We got plans for a hurricane party.
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/02/04 03:02 PM
whats up guys....i just heard here in south florida that the storm is taking a little shift towards broward county...man im so happy i did a full tune up, because the looks of hit, my house is gone.
Posted By: 2K SVT Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/02/04 06:53 PM
Hurrican Party at my house...PM if interested.
This crap is nuts...I hope everyone stays safe & dry

Wear your rubbers...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/02/04 08:08 PM

Will it be safe down there? You're more than welcome to come up here if you think it's gonna get too nasty down there.
Posted By: n4rb Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/02/04 08:30 PM
im stayin in my house here in charleston, sc, its gonna be safe here....
Posted By: BBorges_dup1 Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/02/04 08:35 PM
People are calling me NUTS here in the office.

I am flying TONIGHT to Tampa.

Apparently, Tampa airport is working normally. Hopefful i'll survive.

any Tampa area contour meetings going on this weekend???

Later
Posted By: n4rb Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/02/04 08:40 PM
ima call u nuts too, lol, the way it looks right now, frances will go thru florida, look at this image:

http://hurricane.wcsc.com/dyngraphic.asp?type=full&storm=06

or

http://hurricane.wcsc.com/graphics/showgraphic.asp?graphic=watchwarn&storm=6

Have Fun in Tampa, lol
Posted By: 2K SVT Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/02/04 08:44 PM

Will it be safe down there? You're more than welcome to come up here if you think it's gonna get too nasty down there.

It's gonna be bad here, but I'm not sitting on the parking lot called I-95 for days.

Tampa should see a lot of rain, but the winds shouldn't be too bad by Sunday.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/03/04 02:15 AM
Please careful down there everyone
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/03/04 06:36 AM
Yeah i saw on tellebvision the traffic is horrible. Ima chill here, actually looks like it's gonna hit just as hard/harder back home (inland) than it will here. I'll have fun somewhow i'm sure.
Posted By: Antiramie_dup1 Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/03/04 08:06 AM
If any Contours land in my yard I'll make sure to post the license plate/VIN numbers...

Stay safe, Jim, and everyone else down there.
Posted By: 2K SVT Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/03/04 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Antiramie:
If any Contours land in my yard I'll make sure to post the license plate/VIN numbers...

Stay safe, Jim, and everyone else down there.

Maybe you can trade up...find an SVT or a BMW.
Yeah i saw on tellebvision the traffic is horrible. Ima chill here, actually looks like it's gonna hit just as hard/harder back home (inland) than it will here. I'll have fun somewhow i'm sure.

You're in Albany, Georgia WTF do you have to worry about compared to the CEG'rs in South FL??? Post after post of how Kermit is going handle Frances; puh-lease.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/03/04 03:11 PM
How I'm gonna handle frances? You mean by drinking and doing nothing? Yeah, I guess I acted soooo hard. I am in Statesboro, about an hour from the georgia coast. And if it's strong enough it'll hit all of south georgia pretty hard. No I don't have anything to worry about compared to FL. Did I say I do? You are just trying to blow things outta porpotion so you can be an ahole once again. I offered my dorm up as a place for people to come to escape the hurricane if they have to, does it really look like I'm worried about it. You are a dumbass.
Azzhole? Most definitely. Dumbass? Hardly.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/03/04 08:23 PM
Originally posted by bigMoneyRacing:
Azzhole? Most definitely. Dumbass? Hardly.

Too bad your posts don't show any differently.
Posted By: 98SVT_LEO Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/04/04 04:40 AM
Thankfully Jacksonville has a warm jet stream that usually makes the hurricanes make the turn and head back to sea
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/04/04 07:03 AM
Category 2!!!!!! Looks like by the current path that our hurricane party won't involve much hurricane but just more party.
Posted By: SAV Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/04/04 03:47 PM
Category 2!!!!!! Looks like by the current path that our hurricane party won't involve much hurricane but just more party.

Hell yus!

On a side note, our "friend" a few posts above replying to Ross apparently doesn't know how incredibly easy SE GA floods. No, we don't have all that much to worry about as far as wind gusts and the like, but if there's any more than two or three days of constant rain, we're screwed. Consider this: we are 49 feet below sealevel, incredibly vulnerable to floods. Especially Savannah and some of the nearby inland areas...and yes, this would include Statesboro which is where Krem is living.

Next time, know your geography before you blow up on somebody.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/04/04 03:51 PM
When you coming up here? I gotta go get my car from where I left it last night.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Hurricane Francis: Damage thus far - 09/05/04 12:23 AM
Kremi, thanks for the offer of shelter, by the way. You've been pretty cool about everything & I think it's great!

Took my family safely to Charleston with my Brothers. There are 12 of us added into one of the in-laws houses. We made the local paper if n4 was reading the paper yesterday, you'll remember Mr.Hay & his interview.

Two of my Brothers stayed in West Palm to weather it out & the report is not too bad so far. My Moms house is fine, we all pitch in to make sure her place is always tip-top. My girls put up most of the shutters & my Brothers finished the job. My Brothers have lost a few shingles, but other than that, they're OK.

My house has been hammered, I have a northern exposure and an empty lot across the street. Some of my facia is gone & I expect the interior will be saturated by driving rain. We'll see for sure in a few days when I get back. The roof should stay on since it's concrete tile & I've been treating it to liberal amounts of elastometric sealer. The big deal is the rain. With the storm stationary, we've gotten 20 inches in West Palm so far & the storm hasn't even made landfall yet.

I never got the starter fixed in the Contour in time, & my daughters car has been totalled by the ins company, so I'm in a rental & the Contour is sitting out front.

I'll keep you all updated over the next few days.
Posted By: Blk560_dup1 Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/05/04 03:50 AM

My bad, Jim. Didn't notice this thread till after posting in Common Interests.

We ran. After living through the east eyewall of Opal and feeling its 120+ mph gusts as it roared through LA in '95, I had no interest in finding out what those or worse winds would do in an area where there's a whole lot more stuff to get flying around.

We had travel plans for this weekend for months, anyway, but this weather sitution certainly added to the stress level.

After 14 years, I suppose it was time for a new roof job and new screen around the pool cage...maybe a whole new cage, depending on what the rest of the night brings.

You guys hang tight down there and be safe. We're about to be on the run again in Andalusia as Frances barrels our way...hopefully we can sidestep him once again.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis: Damage thus far - 09/05/04 04:17 AM
DOoo led lemt know if there is anytthing i can do fur u. If you need help rebuliding or sommething and can give me gas mneyoney/ pick me up i can domce down and help. I know this post sucks, bnut it is still serious. Just let me know.
Posted By: svttour_dup1 Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/05/04 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
It was a nice little city when we were down there a few months ago. I like Florida from what I've seen of it. I've been there on business 4 times in the last 2 years and had a nice time every time I've been there. I usually manage to sneak at least one full day of leisure time in every time I go. Last time my wife came with and we took a few days and went to visit her Grandpa up by Daytona Beach and did some toursity things as well.

Rick

never visited me
Posted By: 2K SVT Re: Hurricane Francis: Damage thus far - 09/05/04 12:33 PM
DOoo led lemt know if there is anytthing i can do fur u. If you need help rebuliding or sommething and can give me gas mneyoney/ pick me up i can domce down and help. I know this post sucks, bnut it is still serious. Just let me know.

How much have you been drinking?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis: Damage thus far - 09/05/04 03:03 PM

How much have you been drinking?

The game started at 3pm yesterday.
First of all my beef was the comparison of the â??plightâ? faced by Kermit and the real challenges faced by the people of Florida. His â??woe is meâ? tale, however jokingly he says he may have intended it, was a poorly timed and blatant search for attention all too typical of the poster who clogs countless threads with his mostly useless, self-centered drivel. This thread specifically started as a well wishing thread for the folks directly in the past of the then Category 4 storm. The people to which this thread was intended was in real danger of losing their entire home and possibly the lives of their family and friends. It starts downhill with Kermitâ??s â??holy poop weâ??re going to dieâ? comment and degenerates further into a juvenile exchange of getting intoxicated. If CEGâ??s resident immature poster can suck it up to start a heartfelt thread of concern in a regional forum very far away from his own youâ??d think Kermit could do the same. That was obviously too much to ask of him.

Hmm, geography, geology and flooding; did you know that when Albany flooded due to a hurricane in â??94, Alberto IIRC, it received over a foot of rain? Americus flooded too, after receiving over two feet of rain. As of Saturday afternoon the most rain recorded in the Frances impact-zone of Florida was just nearing that. (How far south is that again???) When the Southeast was hit with flooding in â??98, (when 2,000 people in Elba, Alabama made national headlines because they had to be urgently evacuated after a levy failed) it was due primarily the unusually wet winter where grounds were already saturated. You probably recall the *slight* blizzard that year? There has been no such accumulation of rainfall (or snow) in the Southeast this summer, in fact double-checking the almanac for that region indicates that rainfall is nearly 10â? below normal for the year. Your biggest threat from Frances comes from flash flooding and quite frankly there is hardly a region in the US immune from such conditions. I agree that two or three days of heavy rain in this region probably will result in flooding, but it will be localized and hardly on the scale of the devastation faced by Florida at the moment. Which gets me back to the whole point of my first post, the folks in Florida are/were facing real, massive, life-ending threats on an incredible scale; any impact on South Georgia would be miniscule in comparison and Kermits attempt to conjure up such (and make light of the danger in Florida) was ridiculous.

In the end what was a nice, meaningful gesture begun by the unlikeliest of sources was ruined by an immature punk, trying to show what a big boy he thinks he might be because heâ??s gone off to college and can drink without mommy knowing.

Glad you folks in FL have fared better than anticipated and hope life returns to normal ASAP.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/05/04 09:32 PM
I THINK you are just trying start crap with me. Anyways, everyone in the SE-CEG knows when I'm kidding. We are a humurous group down here. Sorry that you aren't like that. Also, my concerns for my fellow SE-CEGers are more than you will ever know. I offered my place up if anyone needs it and I also offered to help anyone in Florida in any way I can. I'm very serious about this.

I know damn well that Florida is getting hit hard. I only was trying to simply show that where I live may also get some serious flooding too. Research Albany's flooding some more both in 1994 and 1998. It really hurt the city and required lots of work to rebuild and save buildings (some of which I helped with). But yeah Florida is gonna be hurt a lot more, doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that.

And I'm sure my mommy knows I drink. That doesn't have any effect on my caring for my fellow CEGers.

Quit focusing on my post count (I could care less about it, reset it or something).

If you don't like the ways things are in the SE forum, stay outta it. I have met many of these people and would do almost anything for any of em.

You wanna start [censored] with me, just PM me. Leave it outta this forum.

Every CEGer in Florida I'm sure knows how much I hope everything turns out good for them. I'm sure they also appreciate your well wishes. And I'm sure many of my posts are immature. I don't really care. Internet posting isn't what life is about.
Posted By: SAV Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/05/04 10:41 PM
Ross and I have both been a part of the SE GA region (him in Albany and now Statesboro, and I've been in Savannah) for quite some time now, so I think we know a thing or two about the weather down here, as evidenced by Ross' previous statement.

I for one care incredibly for the residents in Florida, particularly a lot of my family is down there. I have no problem with anybody coming up if they need a place to stay, and right now any facts of flooding for the rest of the area is irrelevant for two reasons:

1. Florida has the most to worry about right now.

2. I don't care.

I don't know how you guys do it where you're from, but SE CEG is run the way we want it to be run. If you don't like it, then it's your choice to leave because nobody's forcing you to stay.
Posted By: Blk560_dup1 Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/06/04 01:50 PM
BMR -- Thank you for your genuine concern for those where the real devastation would be occuring if Frances had not gone limp on us. Many of us here were leaving our homes Thursday fearing we'd come back to nothing.

No rest for the weary, it seems, though, as once we make it back to Melbourne everyone may be fidgety about Ivan churning our way.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/06/04 04:24 PM
OK then, we're back on topic.The storm has passed my area, the eye just north of West Palm (although it sat just off the coast from my home for a day or so). The amount of rain was mind boggling, but the effect was relatively minimal thanks to the beach sand that much of Palm Beach County is built on. Just minor damage to the 5 homes of my family, mine having been hit hardest with its northern exposure. Turns out the electrical feed was completely ripped from my home, weather head & all, when a neigbors tree branch fell across the lines.How to get home is the big concern now. Gotta get electricity working in the major Interstate corridors so the gas staions can pump fuel & keep food cold. I could fuel up in GA, but if I get stuck in traffic, I burn off my fuel before I get home & I'm stuck on the road with no where to stay. I could sleep in the car, but I can't put my family through that. Soon as the all clear is given, The Brothers plan to drive back to begin repairs & most of the women will stay behind until Ivan passes & things are more stable down there.**sigh** What a hassle.
Posted By: 2K SVT Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/06/04 04:46 PM
I made out very fortunate. I had power the whole time and never even lost Direct TV. There are a few trees around here ripped up or dammaged, but thankfully nothing major.

If any of the Florida guys need anything let me know. Just call or PM me, my phone is hit and miss as far as a signal goes, but I'm here if you need me.

Tour De Force - I'm right off 95, about 2-3 traffic free hours north from West Palm, if you need a place to stay, rest, or eat let me know.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/06/04 05:05 PM
Glad ya'll are ok. Sucks you have damage though and still gotta see what Ivan is gonna do.
Posted By: SAV Hurricane Ivan? - 09/06/04 05:12 PM
Floridians shouldn't have very much to worry about with Hurricane Ivan on the way; its projected path is well south of the Keys and even Puerto Rico. The US destination for Ivan is Mississippi and Louisiana. Unfortunately, Ivan is set to be yet another Category 4 hurricane when it makes landfall.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Hurricane Ivan? - 09/06/04 05:16 PM
We can only hope it misses Florida and doesn't do too much damage wherever it does land. I don't really believe in forecasted hurricane paths too much anymore.
Posted By: Dragonfly Re: Hurricane Ivan? - 09/06/04 06:39 PM
Posted By: SAV Re: Hurricane Ivan? - 09/06/04 09:42 PM
Hence the reason I said shouldn't instead of will not.
Posted By: GIT-R-DONE Re: Hurricane Ivan? - 09/07/04 12:59 AM
let there be light!!!!!, i just got power back on its been out for 24 hours. i hope others down south are doing well, being without power sucks. hope youll have generators for those who dont have the power. stay safe. we are pretty much done with the storm but now we have twistys poppin up all over town. it sucks. let it be over. STAY AWAY IVAN!!!
Posted By: Blk560_dup1 Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/08/04 01:41 PM
We made out pretty well, too, unlike many others in our neighborhood. Where many of the 10-15 year old homes in the area that had not had recent roof jobs were stripped clean down to the decking on their east faces, we suffered only a dozen or so broken tabs, no exposed felt, and no water damage.

Only other carnage is about half the screen panels on the birdcage are ripped out or punctured...but the structure is fine. Of course, the pool is now the gathering place for a fine assortment of oak, indian hawthorne, coleus, shingles, and a number of other tree, shrubbery, and roof from somewhere east.

A bit of a mess, but I'm more than happy to suck it up and start the cleanup -- many of those around me were much less fortunate.
Posted By: blake_dup1 Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/08/04 05:28 PM
cool - glad to hear y'all made it back down there to find things relatively intact. how bad was the traffic on the way back? didn't get stuck in any of those 15 mph logjams, did you?

i suspect we got *maybe* an inch or two of rain here yesterday...nothing more than a stiff breeze and a steady drizzle, really. guess it decided to stay in georgia for the most part instead of riding I-65 north to b'ham.

hope ivan changes path and decides not to continue the attack on florida!

Posted By: Blk560_dup1 Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/08/04 07:15 PM
Originally posted by blake:
cool - glad to hear y'all made it back down there to find things relatively intact. how bad was the traffic on the way back? didn't get stuck in any of those 15 mph logjams, did you?

For the going up and coming back trips, we departed late night/early morning. It's a pleasure to have all 3 lanes of I75 to yourself at 2AM. Gassing up was drama-free on the way back, at least as far down as Ocala, where we parted ways with I75.

I95 traffic got a little tight on our final DeLand-to-Melbourne leg yesterday around noon, after visiting Ashley's folks. But it never crawled.
Posted By: T-RedSVT Re: Hurricane Francis bearing down... - 09/08/04 09:01 PM
Sorry it took so long to post guys...just got power back on.

I rode it out here in town. Was not about to leave. I faced a few tough ones back i nthe day and had a safe shelter to go to, so we stuck it out. Helluva an experience.

We got hit hard as hell. Trees down everywhere in my neighborhood, power out, no cable, no water.

I work in Cocoa Beach and it was hit really bad. We ran on generator power until this morning when we finally got power back on at the store.

I lost power on Friday and have been without since. Just hoping this next one steers clear to give us time to clean up.
Posted By: TourDeForce TourDeForce update - 09/09/04 02:19 PM
Although the house is fine (except for the minor damage & the electric being ripped away) my property has devastated. My big trees have all been ripped appart & twisted.

I'm at work now, & when I'm done I've got to put the starter into the Contour to get that back on the road. Then I'm gonna start the cleanup by borrowing my brothers chain saw & going to town on what's left of my trees. I should have everything in the yard wrapped up by Monday. Sad part is, yard waste pickup is Fridays for me. If the City doesn't come by after the weekend, all my yard stuff could get tossed around by Ivan.
© CEG Archives