Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I have a 1999 Contour SE with the 2.5L V6. I've changed the starter twice because of what I thought was a bad Bendix clutch (occasionally spins without engaging, making a big racket). The starter will engage on the second or third key turn and start the engine fine. It also does not have this problem every time....

I suspect the flywheel has lost a tooth or teeth? When I posted on the Troubleshooting forum, "Tony2005" had a suggestion:

Originally posted by Bill Santiff:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Tony, Now that I know that I can call around and see where I can get it changed most economically...

Sigh.

Bill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depends on where you are located, some CEGers might be able to do it cheaper than most shops. Post in the local forum/branch and see if you get a response there.

------------------------------------------------------------

So: any CEGers interested in changing a flywheel for a reasonable price? I live in norhtern Calvert Co. MD and work up by BWI but can bring the car anywhere in the metro DC Baltimore area. The flywheels seem to be around $100 on the internet and good old AAMCO wants several hundred dollars to change it (I have my third free AAMCO transmission in the car at the moment).

Thanks,

Bill
4 letters. DanG
Thanks,

Tony PM'ed me the same suggestion and I have PM'ed DanG....

Appreciate the help!

Bill
Responded...

Any clutch/flywheel work means the damn powertrain's got to come out of the car. I don't have a lift (keep in mind this is all done in my garage), and am not comfortable dropping the subframe. I may not be much (if any) cheaper, but the folks I've done work for will attest to my attention to detail during the work.
Originally posted by DanG:
Responded...

Any clutch/flywheel work means the damn powertrain's got to come out of the car. I don't have a lift (keep in mind this is all done in my garage), and am not comfortable dropping the subframe. I may not be much (if any) cheaper, but the folks I've done work for will attest to my attention to detail during the work.

Dan's a scam artist! He sabatoges your car so you keep going back to him!

Just kidding! Dan's attention to detail, knowledge and work are all top notch.
Originally posted by DanG:
Responded...

I can vouch for his attention to detail as this morning he spent about 15 minutes telling me that my car is missing X bolt, or the wrong bolt is in the wrong place :-)

And he may not be much cheaper, but, his specific knowledge can't be substitued.
Originally posted by Pete 6.0:
Dan's a scam artist! He sabatoges your car so you keep going back to him!

Bring me your GTO- You'll never get it back.
© CEG Archives