Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Well there seems to be enough interest in doing it so its official. My house next Saturday i'll be hosting a CEG maintenance/mod meet. I don't have the greatest collection of tools yet so bring what you'll need. I'll be grilling burgers, dogs, chicken, or whatever you guys bring. I also have a ping pong table that I can dig out of my basement if anyone is interested. I live in Herndon VA and if you're interested in coming PM for directions
i might be able to come, ill find out this week.
I'll most likely be there around 1-ish...going racing in the morning....
I'll be there at whatever start time you suggest...please PM me your address and/or directions from Alexandria.
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
I'll be there at whatever start time you suggest

Originally posted by Tony2005:
I'll be there at whatever start time you suggest

11AM looks like it's gonna be the time.
11AM looks like it's gonna be the time.

I would suggest starting earlier (9am-ish) based on the # of cars needing UIM, LIM cleaning, and the very long cooldown time for the engines on hot days.
I might come just to say whats up to everyone . I already done my cleaning.
can i just bring my tb, uim, and lim??? im trying to make its but itll be w/o the car (bad rear springs)
pm sent, no reply still
Originally posted by SVT PETE:

I would suggest starting earlier (9am-ish) based on the # of cars needing UIM, LIM cleaning, and the very long cooldown time for the engines on hot days.

As Pete suggests maybe we should start at 9am instead of 11. If you guys can make it at 9am thats cool with me otherwise just come when you can.
Originally posted by JeSuSToUr:
can i just bring my tb, uim, and lim??? im trying to make its but itll be w/o the car (bad rear springs)

Yes. Are you going to optimize your tb?
no but it needs some love from some cleaner like the rest of the intake stuff.

if gas prices dont go down i wont be able to make it.

btw anyone know how to release the fuel pressure w/o starting the car and taking out the fuel pump fuse??
Psh, I'd love to pay the cost fill the might 13 gallon tank!

You can release the fuel pressure via the schrader valve under the TB....

Who's gotten their stuff already? Has it been easy to find everything you needed?
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

elaborate plz
25 gallons X ~2.50 = ~$55 (~12mpg)
And, look under the TB for something that has something that looks like a valve stem cap on it, then once you unscrew that it looks like a 'valve stem'. Get a towel, put over it and push down the 'tit' with a standard screw driver = fuel pressure relieved.

elaborate plz

btw anyone know how to release the fuel pressure w/o starting the car and taking out the fuel pump fuse??

well, all these guys told you pretty good ways, but if all else fails, just pop off the fuel filter and then pop it back on. should release pressure, might lose a few oz of gas though

And, look under the TB for something that has something that looks like a valve stem cap on it, then once you unscrew that it looks like a 'valve stem'. Get a towel, put over it and push down the 'tit' with a standard screw driver = fuel pressure relieved.

and that wont get it all over the place??
hence the reason for a towel
I'll be there.
Test-Dr you have a PM!!!
went to advance auto, here's wat I got:

manifold gasket set (should be upper/lower)

fuel pressure regulator

TB gasket

EGR gasket

PCV valve
(some of the stuff wont be there til friday though, picking up that morning, this totaled to $125 or so)

here's what they didn't have:

injector nose and upper injector O-rings

fuel rail - intake manifold seals

IMRC linkage grommets

UIM plastic retainer grommet

IAC gasket

guess I'll be going to the stealership tomorrow but the guy at advance auto said some of it might come w/ the "manifold gasket set"
Originally posted by platinum_drew:

fuel pressure regulator

TB gasket

EGR gasket

PCV valve
(some of the stuff wont be there til friday though, picking up that morning, this totaled to $125 or so)

IMRC linkage grommets

IAC gasket

guess I'll be going to the stealership tomorrow but the guy at advance auto said some of it might come w/ the "manifold gasket set"

Danger danger Will Robinson...the fuel rail to manifold seals are hard to find. I cleaned out Jerry's Ford of them today, and they still had to get one sent in from Battlefield. He said Battlefield Ford was the only place in the area showing them in stock now, and they're not cheap, something like $8 apiece.
Jeb you talking about the little orings for the injectors?? Just get those suckers from Advance
No, these are 95-97 parts, just under 1" in diameter with a stepped lip. I asked about them at Advance and the system just shrugged.

From the how-to:
Quote:

Remove the fuel rail to intake manifold seals. You will need to replace these seals if they are older than 2 years! They become hard with time and fail to seal the fuel rail to the lower intake manifold, causing unmetered air to enter the head.

It's interesting to see the parts that the pre-98s require that the 98+s don't...I can't decide if the difference is cost-saving changes or design improvement changes.

fuel pressure regulator

TB gasket

EGR gasket

PCV valve

IMRC linkage grommets

IAC gasket

Danger danger Will Robinson...the fuel rail to manifold seals are hard to find. I cleaned out Jerry's Ford of them today, and they still had to get one sent in from Battlefield. He said Battlefield Ford was the only place in the area showing them in stock now, and they're not cheap, something like $8 apiece.

crap. guess I'll see, the how-to says it's lke $13 bucks for 6, guess they were wrong. turning out to be a rather pricey day
Yeah, I flinched a little at the bill for 'em too, but I guess that's what I get for not getting off my duff and ordering through Bill J. Also, since it's just for 95-97 Duratecs, I imagine that these may not be in-production parts anymore. I guess we'll see. Anyway, just think of the money saved in labor and the fun of DIY!

One other thing...it's going to be a hot day on Saturday, so everybody remember to bring plenty of cold beverages. I think I'll stock up my cooler with iced bottled water.
Well I ordered my stuff from Bill Jenkins a few days ago and I should be getting it today or tom.

- $58.32 (IAC valve) (to stop the moose)
- $7.82 (Tube)
- $.78 (IAC gasket)
- $1.40 (EGR gasket)
- $3.37 (SVT TB gskt)
- $12.70 x 2 $25.40 (UIM gasket)
- $10.13 x 2 $20.26 (LIM gasket)

Add $6 for S&H.

Total = $123.35

On Saturday the meeting time is at 9am and i'll have coffee and donuts. I have chicken and hotdogs that i'll be grilling in the afternoon and anything else you guys want you'll have to bring. Its BYOB and Tony2005 said he'll bring sodas and ice. Can someone bring a large cooler?

I got everything except the "optional upper injector hose 0-rings". apparently they've been discontinued, and would've had to get the last of them from some other dealer (closest in AZ). I have to pick up some stuff from autozone tomorrow, and a few from stealership saturday morning before i leave.

total bill for everything was just over $200
I need to pay more attention to the threads here- Capital NECO is having a claybar/wax meet to clean our kitties from the trip to and from Indianapolis two weeks ago. We'll all be down in Gainesville at my place. What time are you guy s going 'till? What are you plans for afterward? We should get the groups together and see what all is new with whom. Reston's not too awful far from us (30 minutes?) maybe we can meet half-way for dinner or something in Fair Lakes.

Incidently, you can discharge the fuel system by pulling the fuel pump fuse while the car's running. The system discharges, and the car stalls out. Sure it runs lean as hell at the end, but you're not racing it like that...
Are you guys going to be hanging out all day? The thread mentions breakfast and lunch... I can stop by for a little while around lunchtime/early afternoon if people will still be around.
Originally posted by Viss1:
I can stop by for a little while around lunchtime/early afternoon if people will still be around.

O Viss1, , yes, I think we will be, I will be anyway. See you then.
when my garage is done if we have anything to do i may organize something down my way, prolly around when i fix my bumper and put the springs on.
Originally posted by DanG:
What time are you guy s going 'till? What are you plans for afterward? We should get the groups together and see what all is new with whom. Reston's not too awful far from us (30 minutes?) maybe we can meet half-way for dinner or something in Fair Lakes.

I have this feeling we will be there until at least 2 PM (maybe longer). Maybe you can call around then to see if there is interest on the joint meet. Yes, Fair Lakes has many excellent restaurants.
I definitely would love to see some cats rumble in. We CDW27ers have to stick together, ya know.
I have Tony's cell... Haven't seen the CEGers since John was still in the area and moxnix had an in-tact Contour! (Man, it's been a while).

Tony, I'll shoot you my cell # as well- If it's an "all-day" thing (as meets tend to become if not originally planned as such), then we'll be around. There was also talk about going to see "Dukes of Hazzard" afterwards! Regal in Manasses with the stadium seating and such- Or Fairfax Corner, but no freakin' Director's Hall tickets! ($13.50 each??!!)
We CDW27ers have to stick together, ya know.

Hey!

Any CD4Es there tomorrow or am I like the Lone Star.

Incidentally, Jeb, thanks for intiating interest for this meet.
I'll be there 9-ish until about 2-ish. I have other commitments with the "wife".
My wife is out of town this weekend so we can hang out at my place until whenever. Or at least until the neighbors complain or something.
any 1/4 tracks in that part of VA? i know i'm curious to see what my SVT can do pretty much stock
Nope- Manassas is the closest, and it's 1/8 mile. It's MIR or Capital Raceway for us... Anyone know of any closer?
C'mon, there's got to be a straight stretch of Rt. 7 we can block off.
Nope- Manassas is the closest, and it's 1/8 mile. It's MIR or Capital Raceway for us... Anyone know of any closer?

Ahh well, probably wouldn't be much interest in going to the track anyway...
Too hot. Rather run in cooler temps for better times.
then youll need 20 below huh pete
Car is acting up - again.

It's occassionally hesitating when I shift and start to accelerate. Feels like when I had FMS wires and car was misfiring. ABS and all lights pop on gauges and car gets herky jerky before smoothing out.
Damn that sucks Pete! sell me your motor and all your mods...
well i was getting a bog and a bucking from mine, found out when intake tear down that the secondaries werent opening on the front side

Hah... the tank in my truck is 37 gallons...
Thanks for coming out to the meet yesterday. It was great to finally meet you guys and I had a good time wrenching on our cars. Pete I looked all around and couldn't find your keys. However after everyone left I drove my car and my check engine light came on blinking which means there is a misfire, so maybe you dropped your keys in my manifold and thats where my problem is . If you guys want to get together again when its cooler i'd be more than happy to host another CEG meet. BTW anyone know why my car is misfiring now?

Steve
Originally posted by Silversvts:
Thanks for coming out to the meet yesterday. It was great to finally meet you guys and I had a good time wrenching on our cars. Pete I looked all around and couldn't find your keys. However after everyone left I drove my car and my check engine light came on blinking which means there is a misfire, so maybe you dropped your keys in my manifold and thats where my problem is . If you guys want to get together again when its cooler i'd be more than happy to host another CEG meet. BTW anyone know why my car is misfiring now?

Steve

Sounds like a fouled plug! or maybe one of the spark plug wires aren't firmly seated, either way sounds like a quick fix. Thanks again for hosting Steve, that was a awesome meet and it would good to finally get to meet some of you guys. Also big thanks to Ryan and Pete for all the help, it was quite a learning experience although i think the most important thing i learned was to never work on a contour in 90+ degree weather
. BTW anyone know why my car is misfiring now?

Steve

LOL. Our standard reply. Scan the codes, then post it. LOL. In the meantime, check to make sure the spark plug wires are not loose at both plug and coil ends. You have a PM.
Originally posted by Quick_SVT:
although i think the most important thing i learned was to never work on a contour in 90+ degree weather

LOL. With heat index we were looking at 100. But a good time was had by all!
yeah check the code...

im in for the next one
Steve:
I have to check the post office to see if maybe I left my keys there - I'll let you know. (Keep an eye out at your place too though!)

Get the code pulled and post them.

How's the car running? Any difference now than before cleaning?

To tell you the truth, I was pretty out of it/delirious by mid-afternoon.
Steve, you have a PM.
Start with the plug wires and coil pack. IIRC, you and Pete were starting to try to put the plug wires to move them...or that could have been on someone else's car.
In the meantime, check to make sure the spark plug wires are not loose at both plug and coil ends.

speaking of CELs...

I had an intermittent code for EGR flow, commonly caused by the DPFE sensor or something related to it (this is why my EGR was so shiny, I replaced it before searching around on the site). but since the meet I haven't seen any CELs . maybe the EGR path was just too clogged up, or maybe it'll come back
Originally posted by SVT PETE:
Steve:

How's the car running? Any difference now than before cleaning?

The car is idyling a little bit rougher and the rpm's are at 800 instead of 750. Throttle response seems to be quicker but my excelerator is sticking on take offs. I drove it for about 15 mins. on Saturday and 20 mins. Sunday but it drove the same both days. How about Jeb, Drew, and Lamond have you guys noticed any difference since the cleaning?
I haven't driven it since I got home, but it felt like there was a little more pull in the midrange. Idle needs a little more time to re-learn itself, and I've got to replace that throttle body gasket (got the wrong one AND put it in upside down...I rock), so technically I'm not finished yet.
After the drive home, i noticed mine feels a tad bit quicker when the secodaries open. The intake also seems a bit louder. Jeb, be glad you just have to replace the throttle body gasket! mine will be ripped apart early saturday morning to replace that broken clip on the injector harness
The CEL finally popped up this morning, which I'm assuming is throttle body-related. Definitely have more pull in the 2K-4K range.
Good freakin' Lord, guys- What the heck did you do to your cars??!! Next time have the meet at my place where I have the Autotap and a buttload of tools for troubleshooting...

But oh, that's right- I live in BFE Gainesville...
Drew said he's had a CEL since he's had the car...
Jeb has the wrong TB gasket one and thus a vacuum leak...
Steve's 'misfire' I'm figuring is a loose plug wire since I remember him and/or Pete fiddling with the wires. Which it seemed to run fine when I was there.

The sticking throttle cables though has me perplexed since it happened on both Drew and Steve's cars...

The other misc minor broken things are just, IMO, due to the cars never being apart. :-)
Good freakin' Lord, guys- What the heck did you do to your cars??!! Next time have the meet at my place where I have the Autotap and a buttload of tools for troubleshooting...

But oh, that's right- I live in BFE Gainesville...

LOL. No Dan, most of the "little" problems only showed up after everybody went home. The throttle body gasket was a wrong part number (which explains Jeb's P0171 and P0174). When he gets that, everything should be fine. Drew already had the pedal issue before showing up. Steve is probably the not starting issue which resulted in flooding (I think the problem was due to the injectors not being pushed in properly), then it started and I am sure once he scans it, it will probabably be P0172 and P0175 (probably will go away when it is deleted). LOL. There were enough tools to go around. It was just a little hot 100 F or so. Hey, if you do offer your place next time, I'm sure those who wanted to come but missed it will be most glad to come. Gainesville isn't that far. Plus, I'm sure most would like to see your "facilities" where mods are done. Let us know and maybe we can set up another one (maybe next month?). Thanks for the offer.
no no, I had no pedal issues before showing up. I had that CEL, which seems to have vanished though. considering I probably would've spent a lot of time and money trying to eliminate it, when all it wanted was to be cleaned out, I'm still plenty satisfied with the outcome . AND I found out what that horrible whine coming from the car was (power steering pump ). I'll figure out something w/ that throttle cable
Originally posted by SHO_man93:
The sticking throttle cables though has me perplexed since it happened on ........Steve's cars...

Hmm, did Steve have the sticky pedal too? I thought it was only Drew's. I could have sworn Steve's was because the FI wasn't seated right. But it was hot and maybe my brain got fried and I can't remember anything now.

Ok, so I got everything mixed up. Damn heat. I'll return to my banishment.
no no, I had no pedal issues before showing up. .....I'll figure out something w/ that throttle cable

All this time, I thought you had that problem before your showed up. Drew, I am really sorry.

Guys, Maybe another meet soon as the weather is probably going to be cooler in a week or two.
no no, I had no pedal issues before showing up. I had that CEL, which seems to have vanished though. considering I probably would've spent a lot of time and money trying to eliminate it, when all it wanted was to be cleaned out, I'm still plenty satisfied with the outcome . AND I found out what that horrible whine coming from the car was (power steering pump ). I'll figure out something w/ that throttle cable

Hey Drew shoot Matt an email to check to see if he has a power steering pump from his parts SVT. matt_vinkler at yahoo.com
Originally posted by SHO_man93:
Ok, so I got everything mixed up. Damn heat. I'll return to my banishment.

But just so that there is no misunderstanding. We are all really grateful to Ryan and Pete for taking time out to assist us. Without them, I doubt we would really have gone so far with what we did (LOL. All our Contours would probably be still sitting in Steve's Parking Lot today. LOL)
Your in luck drew! I spoke to Matt and he has a power steering pump!

Heheh, I was wondering when you were going to show up! At one point I was thinking I'd offer you $40 to button mine up while I stuck my head in the cooler. But you never showed. Alas.

There were 6 Contours that were having maintenance done and none of the owners had ever done nor knew very much about cleaning the manifolds. I did the best I could running between each car. That and I was feeling like crap and lightheaded all day, so I wasn't at my best. Drew's pre-98 was in pretty bad shape with 175k on the clock. We really could have used your expertise Dan!
When I called after us NECO guys were all finished doing our thing, Tony gave me the brush off! Said that you were all "tired and hot" and were dispersing shortly. That was at 5:47pm...
When I called after us NECO guys were all finished doing our thing, Tony gave me the brush off! Said that you were all "tired and hot" and were dispersing shortly. That was at 5:47pm...

Hey, I wasn't giving you the brush off . I checked with everyone around and everyone indicated that dinner and movies were not on their plans (100 F weather with humidity does suck the life out of you.) And so I relayed the message to you. And I don't recall you asking if we needed help.

But what about another meet soon if a place is available?

Ah, didn't realize you guys were going so late. I think by that time I was back in Alexandria.
My place is available, provided I clear it with the wife in advance. I have my 24' 2-car detached garage, plus a whole lot of nuthin' around my house (don't have neighbors yet).

Just say when... You MD'ers can jaunt down Rt. 15 if it works for you - Rt. 15 spits you out within 1/2 mile of my house (before you cross I-66).
Should have had the " " after "brush off"... 'Twas a joke...
Should have had the " " after "brush off"... 'Twas a joke...

I'm slow today. Maybe the effects of Saturday's heat is still with me. Let me check ..... Yep, still is.
Well, at some point I would like you to take a look at my SVT, Dan. I've mentioned to you in the past about doing a once over, but life's been pretty hectic.

Sometime when the weather is a little bit cooler would be good.
im in for that dang if you make it either beginning or end of october. my october project is getting my damned bumper fixed.

on a side note:
is it just me or does pete have something different to sell every week???
© CEG Archives