Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/08/03 02:18 AM
How's it going, all.

Good new 1st:
I'm alive.

Here's the bad news:
A few weeks ago, I had my 28th birthday.
It seems that I've reached the age at which inability to pay attention when driving is beginning to get the best of me.

I was headed home after work on a kind of mental cruise control.
I hit a seem in the road where asphault makes way for a cement overpass.
The bump caused my already lazy foot to press down on the accelerator. (Wait: it gets worse...)

I thought to myself, "Oh sh!!, I better slow down".
I hit what I thought was the brake pedal.
It felt a little soft.

Off she went, galloping galantly to the right side of the road.
I started to correct, and she sped up still....
"What the heck!!"

Next thing I knew, I was looking at the airbag exploding into my face as I hung helplessly in the clutches of a locked seatbelt.

My car crossed the oncoming lane and collided head on with a concrete barrier.
Then it took me for one last merry-go-round before coming to rest in the direction that I started in.

I am lucky that I was not seriously injured, and that nobody else got involved in my self-created chaos.
My car was not so lucky.

She served me well from the day I got her off the showroom, until today, when she gave her life to save mine.

Goodbye, Black Beauty.
God Bless.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/08/03 02:31 AM
D@MN!
Glad your alright though.
Hope insurance covers it.
Posted By: Outback Gal_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/08/03 03:04 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh Sadeeq, I'm so sorry. I'm glad that you are doing okay as I have been in a bad car accident myself and was not able to walk away from it.

Any thoughts as to what you are going to do for a replacement?

-Christy
Posted By: 95Mike_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/08/03 03:42 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that. You seemed to take a lot of pride in the SVT. At least you were able to walk away, which is more than a lot of people can say. These contours seem to prove themselves over and over again as a very safe ride.

Again, sorry about your car.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/08/03 03:43 AM
Glad to see you're ok Sadeeq. Sucks about the car but that is easily replaced. Let us know what you plan to do with your next mode of transportation.
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/08/03 05:10 AM
Sadeeq, I'm so sorry to hear that. You walked away, that's all that matters.

Take care,
Kerry
Posted By: auiotour Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/08/03 01:10 PM
man, it is truely sad about your car, i loved your car, it was very nice. I will miss seeing you and your car at meets here on out. I hope you deciede to get another contour down the line. They have proven to be very safe cars. And you prove it once again. Dont feel bad about the hitting the gas pedal, i have done that before and I only got two pedals to mix up, small and big, lol. Done it many times, and when you do it, you are only thinking about looking at your pedals to make sure you get the right one. When I first started driving I did almost the same, except I was a little bit lucker. I would love to type more, but its 620, and i should have left for work already, but had to reply and give you my wishes. good luck man.
Posted By: Kung Fu Troll Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/08/03 02:40 PM
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/08/03 04:04 PM
Thanks for all of your kind words.

Regarding:
Originally posted by Outback Gal:
...Any thoughts as to what you are going to do for a replacement?

I was thinking about the new Mazda 8, but had planned to wait a few years for a Turbo if possible.
I'll probably take this year's model for a test drive to see if it'll do.

I'm also looking into an identical twin to my car (minus the door ding on the rear passenger door).

Not quite sure what the insurance is going to say because the cop said he'd site me for 'going too fast for conditions'... of course I was!!! I was still on the accelerator while the car launched into a 4-wheel drift and took on the concrete barrier!
Sorry, ... I am still a little pissed at myself... just when I thought I'd learned how to drive.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/08/03 04:47 PM
Sorry to hear that, Sadeeq. I am glad you are OK though.

"I hit what I thought was the brake pedal.
It felt a little soft."

At least you were not driving through a farmer's market.

Posted By: skeeter99_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/08/03 06:59 PM
Sorry about your beauty. Glad to hear you're OK. That's the most important.
Posted By: Woogieman Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/08/03 11:35 PM
I'm sorry to hear about that Sadeeq. However, I'm glad to hear that you are okay & no one else was hurt. Now there's one less Black CSVT for me to steal ideas from.
Take care & stay in touch.
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/09/03 08:28 PM
WOW

Good to hear you're ok. Sounds like a wild ride. Any chance they'll fix it? From the sound of it it's totaled. Don't worry...there are many other Contours out there, especially on the east coast. You've still got that Mustang to cruise in right?

Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/10/03 05:56 PM
Originally posted by shotwell:
... You've still got that Mustang to cruise in right?

Yup.
We're back to a 2-car family.

I don't know that it is totalled for sure . I'll find out early this week.
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/17/03 06:11 PM
Looks like I'm looking at a 2001 VW Jetta GLX (don't laugh).
I can't find any other suitable replacement for the 'Tour under 20K.

Any of you have any experience with the GLX Jetta VR6? Larson VW in Tacoma has one with a Neuspeed exhaust that's been lowered a little too. It's only 174Hp, but there's a turbo if I really feel the need (which I won't). Certified used, so it comes with a 2 year warrantee too.

The reality is that since the accident I'm starting to place more emphasis on things like side and curtain airbags. I work so much now, that it seems like the 200HP SVT only saw daily dashes between home and work (10 minutes away).

Anyway, just wondered what you thought.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/17/03 08:29 PM
my friend got the low end jetta, and he is happy with it, but, things are falling apart he comes over ever month of so and works on it at my house. its all under warranty but, he would rather do it, so he can make modification in the future and know what things are. overall, its a decent car. but its not gonna hold up in a car accident. not good at least, you hit someone or they hit you i promise your car will be totaled. and if you dont own it. you will be out all that money because you wont have time to pay even half of the car. well, probably but in my case lol. I just know they are put together crappy, and dont hold up in crashes. If you want to see some messed up jettas look at the junk yards at newer jetta, 93 an up. they smash bad. real bad. i have only saw 3 contours with major damage. the one in jack ass, one that was burnt to a crisp, and one that rolled over down a hill, and only the top was smashed up really bad.
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/18/03 01:10 AM
I don't know about this Sadeeq. I had my heart set on a certain black 2000 VR6 Jetta when I found my SVT. I had driven the 1.8T Jetta and decided the VR6 would be better, more reliable or whatever. Then I drove the SVT...the rest is history, and I don't even like Fords! It is a fact that the VW cars have a much better aftermarket, but even with many mods it won't touch the SVT in style or performance IMHO. On top of that, you could EASILY get a low miles SVT, whatever year, for under 20K. You could probably get it for under 10K! Another thing...Jettas are everywhere! I've seen less than 10 SVT Contours in Washington, including the meets! I don't know man, seems like a really simple decision to me. Whatever you do, just make sure you're happy with it. If you're looking for something specific let me know. I've got some hook ups in that department.

Mike

P.S. If you need to drive an SVT to get that fire back in your blood let me know. I'll be right up!
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/18/03 04:24 AM
... you could EASILY get a low miles SVT, whatever year, for under 20K... I've seen less than 10 SVT Contours in Washington, including the meets! ...
P.S. If you need to drive an SVT to get that fire back in your blood let me know. I'll be right up!

Dude!
I want a black on black car. Only b/b SVT I can find is Kerry's... (Kerry... you wanna buy a '01 Jetta?? ). All the black ones have Tan interior... that's just not me.
I loved my car (in case you couldn't tell). If you can find me a black/midnight blue SVT replacement, let me know.

Did you ever drive the VR6?? It's a slug, and needs suspension work. The one I am looking at has the sport suspension and has been lowered. It rides.... like my car, and sounds... like my car after I had the resonator taken out.... yummy!!!
Posted By: Woogieman Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/18/03 04:35 AM
Hey Sadeeq, don't forget to check down here in good ol Oregon. Every once in a while I spot one in the Classifieds or on a lot.
As far as the VW Jetta goes, my sister owns one & she has had a few problems with it too. It's a 2001 1.8T. I told her not to buy a VW, but she wouldn't listen. She plans on trading it in within the next year. Just something to think about.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/18/03 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Sadeeq:
... you could EASILY get a low miles SVT, whatever year, for under 20K... I've seen less than 10 SVT Contours in Washington, including the meets! ...

Dude!
I want a black on black car. Only b/b SVT I can find is Kerry's... (Kerry... you wanna buy a '01 Jetta?? ). All the black ones have Tan interior... that's just not me.
I loved my car (in case you couldn't tell). If you can find me a black/midnight blue SVT replacement, let me know.

Did you ever drive the VR6?? It's a slug, and needs suspension work. The one I am looking at has the sport suspension and has been lowered. It rides.... like my car, and sounds... like my car after I had the resonator taken out.... yummy!!!

might wanna talk to the ripper, (mike), he has been maybe looking into selling his 98, svt, its a EO, i believe, and he has a super charger already installed. he wanted around 12 or 13k for it. with the super charger. his is black.
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/18/03 07:41 AM
oooh..... supercharger
Sounds fun...

But I'm kinda lookin' fo' something with a warranty.... though I am really tempted by that prospect...
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/18/03 08:39 AM
Yep, drove the VR6 AND the turbo Jetta for that matter. Neither of them have got anything on the SVT...stock for stock that is. Hell, the SE sport is probably faster! I suppose anything can be modified, but with the SVT you're almost all the way there already! I agree about the Black / Blue preference. That's what my E0 is. I'll see if I can dig one up for you. How far are you willing to drive it back? Cross country road trips are fun, especially in a car like this! Also how many miles on the car is too many miles in your opinion?
Posted By: auiotour Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/18/03 01:15 PM
my 95 se atx keeps up with his manual 1.8T, but, never tried a VR6. Its pretty close. He is a tad bit faster. I raced a svt once, all stock. got stomped, raced a 1.8T, and I lost on a 2 mile stretch by about a half a car length.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/18/03 11:14 PM
They aren't close but there a couple here in Vancouver as I posted before, since you are looking
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/19/03 01:20 AM
The problem with the ones in Vancouver BC is that they have kmh speedos instead of mph. Also I heard it's difficult to bring a used car from Canada to the US.
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/19/03 06:04 AM
The problem with the ones in Vancouver BC is that they have kmh speedos instead of mph. Also I heard it's difficult to bring a used car from Canada to the US.

Yup, the KMH thing is a little deterant.
I also agree that it's more difficult to get across the border with cars these days too.

And the b/b ones are high mileage (over 50,000 miles) or $20,000 Can$$.

But thanks for lettng me know what up there!
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/19/03 06:52 AM
Yep, drove the VR6 AND the turbo Jetta for that matter. Neither of them have got anything on the SVT...stock for stock that is.

Agreed!! The SVT would kick the arse off of any stock Jetta...
but add a lowered suspension, to the climate control, heated seats (I know they are overkill for WA), autodimming rear view, traction control, rain-sensing wipers (all of which this one already has) and you have a decent family hauler...
then add a high flow exhaust (like the Neuspeed that's on it) to get rid of the girly sound...
then add a short-throw shifter to stop the 'rowing a boat' stock feel...
now you have a decent ride...
if you want the whole shabang... and the turbo ($3K-$5K)....

I agree that most Jetta's are .. well .. lame.
This one is deserving of a honorary Contour SE membership... really!

A-tour... I'll race ya once I get the shifter sorted out
It'll be a good fight.

Shotwell... can I borrow $5K for a turbo??
Posted By: auiotour Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/19/03 01:30 PM
Quote:

Fuel Type: Gasoline

Wow, they are smart. Why does everyone always put gasoline, instead of diesel, unleaded, plus, premium. I just dont understand it. that is what they mean. stupid people.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/19/03 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Sadeeq:

Yup, the KMH thing is a little deterant.
I also agree that it's more difficult to get across the border with cars these days too.

And the b/b ones are high mileage (over 50,000 miles) or $20,000 Can$$.

But thanks for lettng me know what up there!

It is KPH, not KMH. Kilometers per hour. as opposed to the proper MPH, MIles Per Hour.
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/20/03 09:22 AM
Let me check my wallet Sadeeq...is $14 a start? Sounds like a well optioned Jetta you've got there. Might even be fun to drive. I don't know man, it's that whole paying more for less thing. Put those same mods on an SVT and you've really got a car!

Have you driven this car? A guy I work with has a Jetta and says the gearbox is a nightmare. I don't really remember it except for reverse being in a weird place.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/20/03 09:41 PM
Yeah, VW's are like that. Reverse usually requires a push and a twist to get it in and then it is up my 1st. Annoying as hell...especially when you are trying to drive a theft recovery Wolfsburg with no gearshift knob.

Yeah, been there. Done that.

My Rabbit's gearbox always required more precise shifts too...I think i made me a better driver in the long run.
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Black Beauty R.I.P. - 08/23/03 06:40 AM
Have you driven this car? A guy I work with has a Jetta and says the gearbox is a nightmare. I don't really remember it except for reverse being in a weird place.

Yes I've driven it...
Heck... I bought it last night!!!

The reverse gear is (pressing down on the shift knob), to the left and up... not too bad.
When I took it home for an overnight test drive a week ago and knew then that the gearbox left a lot to be desired. It feels like rowing a boat between 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th. I think the transmission is a good one, but the shift linkage is whack... Hence my order of a Neuspeed Short Shift Kit.
© CEG Archives