Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Derk-xB I'll be in Portland - 05/07/03 05:29 PM
Hello NW folks. I'm coming up to Portland w/ my girlfriend the last week of May. I'm flying out to CA and we're taking her parents' Jeep up to Portland. We're checking out grad schools - PSU for her; OHSU, and Pacific U (Forrest Grove) for me.

Anyway, my girlfriend isn't a huge car nut...but I think she could stand one evening of car talk. Anyone want to get together?
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/08/03 02:40 AM
I'm up for it! Just post here and arrange a time to meet.
Posted By: GrooveNerd Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/08/03 06:42 AM
If I don't have something going, I should be able to stop by and say "Hi" too.

Marty
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/08/03 07:42 PM
Once I get a few more details ironed out like hotel, asking the girlfriend , etc, I'll post here.
Any suggestions for a hotel?
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/19/03 11:48 PM
Alright, I have a couple more details ironed out.
1) Girlfriend says it's ok.
2) Booked a hotel near the airport (NW part of town, right?)
3) We'll arrive on Sunday night, and stay until Friday night, possibly Saturday night. We're pretty much playing it by ear, but we're both waiting to hear back from schools. We'll know by mid week when/where.

Does dinner and chatting on a week night sound alright?
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/20/03 01:07 AM
Dinner on a week night is fine with me.
Posted By: GrooveNerd Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/20/03 11:03 PM
That should work for me too. BTW, the airport is in NE Portland.

Marty
Posted By: Shaun G_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/21/03 04:09 AM
The airport is about 15-20 minutes outside of town.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/21/03 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Shaun G:
The airport is about 15-20 minutes outside of town.

The airport is on the far NE corner of Portland. To get to OHSU and PSU you'll have a 5 mile drive down I205 then about a 6 mile drive on I84, a quick jump onto I5, and then a very short trip on I405 to get to an exit that will take you around were you need to be. It does sound very confusing and it probably is a little bit. You may stay there the first night or two and then you might want to find another place a little more centrally located so you don't have to jump onto all those freeways.

Heading north onto I5 or I205 during nightime rush hour is a nightmare along with heading east on 84 out of town. Basically I think what we are trying to say is you might have some issues with traffic. However, you can always ride the MAX (train) around town, but that does take quite a while to get from downtown to the airport (approx 45minutes).

A hotel in Beaverton would probably be much easier on the traveling. Try and find something on the 217 or the 26 if at all possible.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/21/03 07:14 AM
Quote:

You may stay there the first night or two and then you might want to find another place a little more centrally located so you don't have to jump onto all those freeways.

Maybe so. Thanks again for all the info!

I have Robert's phone number and he has mine. I'm guessing my last internet access before the trip will be Sat. night. How does a tentative Wed. evening sound for dinner?
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/21/03 03:59 PM
Wednesday sounds good to me. Just give me a call sometime earlier in the week to confirm that.

Robert
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/22/03 03:24 AM
OK, one more change in plans:
Changed hotels. I'll be in Hillsboro instead. It's about 2 miles from OHSU and 10 from downtown and PSU. I'm going to check out Pacific U as well, so the new hotel is a little more centrally located.
Still haven't heard from the schools via email, and didn't get a chance to call 'em today (I was cleaning my intake manifolds! ). I'll call tomorrow and set up visits.
So far, Wed. night is still on. If anything changes, I should know soon.
Can't wait to be up north!
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/23/03 01:07 PM
Going to Forrest Grove (Pacific U) on Friday. OHSU is getting back to me, PSU is getting back to my girlfriend. It's been slow getting responses. But, I don't see any reason why Wed. night wont work, so it's still on.
Can't wait to be up there! Can't wait to meet some more CEGers!
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/23/03 03:38 PM
Cool. I look forward to meeting you and hopefully all the schools get back to you in a timely manner.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/24/03 12:03 AM
If you like micro brews, welcome to HEAVEN.

Other than just being in Portland to check out schools, you might stop at the Cornelius Pass Roadhouse in Hillsboro on Cornelius Pass Road, north of Cornell, Cornell is that road that goes east-west past the local Hillsboro airport, Cornelius Pass Road goes north-south and links up w/ US Hwy 26 to head toward Portland and Oregon route 217 (except when traffic is at a dead stop.)
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/24/03 12:28 AM
Originally posted by PDXSVT:
If you like micro brews, welcome to HEAVEN.

I love Portland! MMMM, BEEEEERRRRRR

I was thinking about Rock Bottom Brewery for dinner on Wednesday night. Good food, descent prices, and lots of beer!
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/24/03 01:08 AM
PDX - thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out. I love trying new beers. Porters are my favorites.

All is set for me. OHSU on Thurs, PU on Fri. Can't wait!
Oh, and I've heard a lot about the Portland microbrews...I hope the rumors are true. If I'm not mistaken, there's a Rock Bottom in Denver...is there a better "non-chain" place to eat? I know, I shouldn't be picky.

So, who's coming?
Me (Derek)
Ashley (girlfriend)
Robert

Anyone else?

Lookin' forward to it.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/24/03 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Derk2000:
Oh, and I've heard a lot about the Portland microbrews...I hope the rumors are true. If I'm not mistaken, there's a Rock Bottom in Denver...is there a better "non-chain" place to eat? I know, I shouldn't be picky.

Yeah, there is probably one in Denver and one in Northern Cal and a couple others. I'm sure we can come up with something. I only live about 2 miles from Cornellius Pass Roadhouse, they are good to eat and drink at.

I haven't been to any of the McMennamins establishments around town, are they any good to eat at?

I'm sure there is something I'm not thinking of that is good. If anyone else is coming feel free to chime in here and give some suggestions.
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/24/03 12:32 PM
Unfortunately I can't make it as I'm still in Virginia on business, but I can make some suggestions on where to get some grub and drink some beer. McMenamins is definitely a good place to eat. They also brew their own beer. Surprised I haven't heard BJ's mentioned yet...good pizza and beer! The first place I'm going when I get back though is Dots Cafe on Clinton St. They don't brew their own beer, but they have a good selection of the locals. The food is outstanding! I go for either of the melts usually, but I've never had anything bad there. It's on like 26th and Clinton, which is a block up from Division, across from the Clinton St Theatre. You can look it up on yellowpages.com. Wish I could be there...have fun guys!
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/24/03 09:34 PM
The Cornelius Pass Roadhouse/Imbrie Hall complex IS ONE of the several McMennamins' (sp?) establishments around the Portland area, and the food at all of them is pretty good. My significant other approves of the mixed drinks at CPR/Imbrie too.

Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/25/03 03:20 AM
Oh, wow. I wasn't aware of that. If the food is like the one by Mall 205 or the one in Vancouver I'd recommend it as well.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/25/03 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Derk2000:
PDX - thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out. I love trying new beers. Porters are my favorites.

All is set for me. OHSU on Thurs, PU on Fri. Can't wait!

So, who's coming?
Me (Derek)
Ashley (girlfriend)
Robert

Anyone else?

Lookin' forward to it.

I would recommend one of the Rogue Brewery places over the Rock Bottom...Rock Bottom is way to yuppie filled.

P.S. You must try Mack and Jack, Black Butte Porter and as many other local brews as possible. Avoid Red Hook as they are no longer as good as they used to be. Are you going to make it to the Seattle area? Snoqualmie Falls Brewery makes some great stuff.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/25/03 05:46 AM
Well, it's my last chance to post. I'm in CA and we're heading out tomorrow morning. Since we haven't really decided on a place to meet up, I'll call Robert and see what's up. Sound good?
Have a good weekend.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/25/03 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Beowulf:
I would recommend one of the Rogue Brewery places over the Rock Bottom...Rock Bottom is way to yuppie filled.

Lol...I've noticed this too, I just like the food . I'd say we should go to Cornellius Pass. I didn't even realize they were a McMenamins establishment...tells you how much I pay attention. I like the food there.
Posted By: GrooveNerd Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/25/03 10:28 PM
I'm planning on coming too -- burgers 'n beer works for me! Cornelius Pass is fine too, just say when, and I'm there!

Marty
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/26/03 07:17 PM
I work in downtown Portland and drive past CPR/Imbrie on my way home daily. I live in the shadow of INTEL's Ronler Acres. When's a good time to be there Wednesday PM?
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/26/03 07:39 PM
Originally posted by PDXSVT:
I work in downtown Portland and drive past CPR/Imbrie on my way home daily. I live in the shadow of INTEL's Ronler Acres. When's a good time to be there Wednesday PM?

Not sure on a time just yet, but I'm thinking we'll shoot for 6:30 or 7. Derek hasn't called me just yet, but I'm expecting he'll call me later today or tomorrow with the information. Check the boards before Wednesday again or if you can't do that and would like me to give you a call with the time and place then shoot me off a PM and give me your number and I'll be sure to give you a call.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/27/03 04:38 PM
OK, Cornellius Pass Roadhouse at 6:30 tomorrow (Wednesday) night! Try and be there. If you need directions you can give me a call at 541-840-4767.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/28/03 03:50 PM
Anyone else coming?
Posted By: GrooveNerd Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/28/03 04:09 PM
I'm planning on being there.

Marty
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: I'll be in Portland - 05/28/03 10:48 PM
I'll be there. I met you and Shaun at BJs one night, so I'm hoping we recognize each other? or everyone lucks out and parks closely together? or we get CSVT tattoos on our foreheads? (OK that's maybe a little extreme)
© CEG Archives