Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/23/03 06:02 AM
Today I was bored and figured why not, I'm on a roll. Got the car out of storage last week, then:
- got a new Sears DieHard battery
- new tires
- DMD

so today I installed the TH fix. The revs hunted for about 10 seconds and then the idle settled.

I went for a drive and WOW, big difference! The revs drop when they're supposed to, which just feels right with an engine that revs up so easily. And I now have engine braking! I love it. As far as FTD (fun to drive) quotient goes, the TH fix ranks even higher than the DMD in my book. I didn't know what I was missing for the last 4 years.

Thanks Lance for the pipe plug. I never would have done it if hadn't been given the thing.

Kerry

Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/23/03 06:38 AM
You guys have now seen the light! I did mine the first month I owned the car. I couldn't stand having the revs decrease so slowly, but I was used to a quick reving 4 banger also. Anyway, glad you tried it Kerry. It was really cool of Lance to bring all of those, for some reason I just assumed most everyone had done it.

Now for the real fun, get you guys out autocrossing or running a track day. If you think the car is fun to drive on the street wait til you get it on a closed course! mmmm, the smell of brakes on fire in the afternoon just does something to me
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/23/03 08:25 AM
Yeah, it's funny how we all were skeptical about it. I didn't want to do it, neither did Darren really. I figured what the hell...I can take it out later if I don't like it. No way now! I really like it. Darren did his just after mine and liked it as well! Glad to hear you did it too Kerry. The only thing I've found I don't like about it is when the car is cold it idles really low. That first start in the morning is a bit annoying, but I've got so many miles on mine now. I might enlarge the hole a bit, but I'm certainly not taking it out! Do you guys notice the cold start thing?

Posted By: Darren_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/23/03 02:51 PM
I'm in the same boat as Mike. I have been toying with the idea of enlarging the hole just a skoosh and see if that is more to my liking. In the morning on the first start the idle is way to low for mike liking (400-500 RPM). Sometimes it just plain stalls. I'm glad i'm not the only one that has noticed the low RPM on the first start.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/23/03 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Darren:
I'm in the same boat as Mike. I have been toying with the idea of enlarging the hole just a skoosh and see if that is more to my liking. In the morning on the first start the idle is way to low for mike liking (400-500 RPM). Sometimes it just plain stalls. I'm glad i'm not the only one that has noticed the low RPM on the first start.

Yeah, I'd probably enlarge it a VERY small amount...mine idles at no less the 6-650 every morning
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/23/03 05:26 PM
Originally posted by shotwell:
Do you guys notice the cold start thing?

Nope, the car idles and starts just as before. Could it be that you guys park your cars outside?

I'm in a heated garage, so maybe that's why?

In any case, enlarging the hole sounds like it may help.

Kerry
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/23/03 08:24 PM
Hmm, a day later I am finding that cold starts result in the rpms being at 1000 rpm instead of 1500 rpm. Not rough or anything, but I wonder if this is bad for the car, or just worse for warm-up time and emissions?

The car seems a bit stinkier when idling cold but I could be hallucinating. I think it may be worth making the hole a tad bigger to see if I can get the cold idle rpm up a bit.

Kerry
I'm glad everyone likes it! I've run into a lot of skepticism, but overall everyone is very happy with them once they relent.

The holes are all 3/16". You could enlarge it up to 15/64" (that's what mine is). It was found that 3/16" or 7/32" was optimal for SVT's.

My idle wasn't affected, but I did notice that it doesn't jump up the revs as high on initial start.

-Lance
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/23/03 10:20 PM
My whole is at 15/64ths...hmmm that doesn't sound right

Yes my car is parked outside. I've actually had in a variety of climates. Anywhere from 0-100+ degrees and it definitely likes the warm days better for starting, but it never really gave me any big fits at 0 degrees either.
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/24/03 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:
I'm glad everyone likes it!
... everyone is very happy with them once they relent.
... It was found that 3/16" or 7/32" was optimal for SVT's.

Lance:
I missed the meet, and now I want one too!!!
What do I have to do to get you to come down here and show me?
If you don't want to wait for the next meet... go buy yourself a 1/2" copper pipe cap a Lowes (around 10 cents), and drill a 3/16" hole through the middle of it. Then place the cap in the intake bypass hose right where it goes into the upper manifold. Pics here:

If you're willing to wait, I'll be bringing more to the next meet.

-Lance
Posted By: SVTweeter_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/24/03 07:41 PM
Hey Lance ... do you mind enlarging those images and sending them over to me at jared@dialupusa.net or post them up so I can see what to do to fix the TH.

Thanks
Jared
SVTweeter
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/24/03 07:51 PM
...If you're willing to wait, I'll be bringing more to the next meet.

For fear of screwing something up... I'll wait
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/24/03 08:11 PM
Take a look in the how to section right here. The pictures can be enlarged from there.

Now Sadeeq your tube is going to look a little different then the one pictured, though I believe SVTweeters will look the same (they changed between the 98's and 99's). Basically both of your tubes will come out of the intake tube (the ribbed rubber thing). The tube one the 99's and 2000's come out about 1.5 inches then make a 45 degree turn towards the intake manifold for about 4 inches and then another 45 degree turn for about 1.5 inches and then they plug into the intake manifold.

Where the tube meets the manifold, undo the hose clamp and insert the throttle hang fix. Put the hose back on and you're ready to drive! Now I know Mikes 98 had a pressure clamp fitting by the manifold so we put his throttle hang fix where the hose meets the intake tube. Same difference, just at the other end of the hose. YOU CAN'T SCREW THIS UP!

This job including getting the drill out, putting the bit in, drilling the cap, putting the drill away, undoing the hose, putting the fix in, putting the hose back on, and starting the car will take under 5 minutes.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/24/03 08:25 PM
Here, I froze my butt off to get a couple of pics of the newer hose.

Posted By: SVTweeter_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/25/03 12:01 AM
NICE PICS ... thanks for freezing your nutz off Qbert!
Posted By: SVTweeter_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/25/03 11:06 PM
did the fix,
thanks for the pix,
started real quick,
revs drop as low as my d***

As you can tell I'm pumped!

Jared
SVTweeter
Posted By: Beowulf Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/25/03 11:18 PM
Stop talking about this! Everytime you guys starting talking about the TH fix, i start noticing the damn throttle hang again!

Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/26/03 05:06 AM
So do it! It's really a cake job.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/26/03 03:19 PM
Can someone take a picture of what the piece looks like or hell, Lance can you meet me sometime in the next couple days, I know you aren't to far out from me. I am in Kent most of the time. I could just drive over or meet you somewhere and get it. If you get this in the morning call here: 253-941-4787. Otherwise call my cell at 253-217-6020. Thanks man.
Dude, it's a 1/2" copper pipe cap with a hole drilled in it. If you can visualize that, I can't help you.

I'm in Snohomish, that's an hour away from Kent. That's not close in my book.

-Lance
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/26/03 04:59 PM
Send one in the mail! It would only cost like $.50 to send. Just a suggestion!
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/27/03 02:37 AM
Why should he?

It's impossible to screw up with the photos provided and a plethora of helpful CEGers here.

Give it a try auiotour and let us know how you make out.

- Kerry
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/27/03 03:05 AM
Originally posted by kerrychin:
Why should he?

It's impossible to screw up with the photos provided and a plethora of helpful CEGers here.

Give it a try auiotour and let us know how you make out.

- Kerry

Yeah, I'm with Kerry on this one...here's some more instructions for you Auiotour:

Go to Home Depot, Loews, or any other hardware store that sells plumbing (Fred Meyer, etc.). Ask the sales person for 1/2" copper pipe cap. They will take you right to it. It should be about 5 cents or so. Then just take it home, drill a hole in it and install.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/28/03 12:48 AM
It looks easy enough to me, but I dont even have a drill anymore.
Posted By: Shaun G_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 02/28/03 06:11 AM
Dude, it's a 1/2" copper pipe cap with a hole drilled in it. If you can visualize that, I can't help you.

I'm in Snohomish, that's an hour away from Kent. That's not close in my book.

-Lance

lol
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 03/02/03 03:09 AM
Q,
Thanks for the pics. I'll post when it's done.
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 03/02/03 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Beowulf:

If you want, you can use mine... but you'll have to spend an hour driving to Tumwater

Buy a drill. They are not expensive, and they really do come in handy. It'll cost you less than the gas you spend coming here, especially if you got one at a pawn shop.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 03/03/03 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Sadeeq:
Originally posted by Beowulf:

If you want, you can use mine... but you'll have to spend an hour driving to Tumwater

Buy a drill. They are not expensive, and they really do come in handy. It'll cost you less than the gas you spend coming here, especially if you got one at a pawn shop.

I'll put that on my list.

These are the times I regret my dad and his tools being in Southern California.
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 03/04/03 03:53 AM
Did the mod. Took a little time to ge used to it, but a definite improvement.
B: If you want, I can drill one for you. I have an extra cap in the garage.
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 03/04/03 06:10 AM
Welcome to the TH fix club, Sadeeq!

Does anyone else think that they lost a little oomph at small throttle openings?

It seems to me that throttle tip-in is a little weaker than before. I actually like it, but the car feels a little more Audi-like (sluggish) at low rpms in 1st gear.

I'm still running the 3/16" hole. May be time to go a little bigger to get the cold idle up a bit.

- Kerry
Posted By: Beowulf Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 03/04/03 07:52 PM
Well, I dont feel like driving to Tumwater right now...perhaps at the next meet?

Right now, my number 1 priority is finding the opportunity to drop my tank to clean out that damn fuel blockage device....
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 03/04/03 08:11 PM
I drilled a larger hole and have not noticed any loss of power anywhere.
Some, but not a lot, have reported part throttle power loss on SVT's. Try a larger hole.

-Lance
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 03/06/03 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Sadeeq:
I drilled a larger hole and have not noticed any loss of power anywhere.

I have now witnessed the RPMs dropping during cold starts twice. It seems to last about 1 minute. Not too bad.
Still well worth it.
Next stop... DMD
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: Installed TH fix - thanks Lance! - 03/17/03 05:36 AM
I was concerned about the low cold idle (1000 rpm) so today I yanked the pipe cap out (was surprised...but maybe it shouldn't surprise...it got sucked to the other end of the tube near the EGR valve) and drilled the hole out from 3/16 to 15/64ths.

Perfect. Now the semi-cold idle is up at 1250 rpm (good compromise), and the revs drop properly still. Maybe they drop a tad slower, but I don't care. Maybe I'm making this up, but I also think throttle-tip in is a bit more responsive.

I'll see what the cold idle is for real tomorrow morning. Happy as heck. Great mod, and essentially free too.

Kerry
© CEG Archives