Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Just wanted to make an official thread to find out who is coming. Looks like we are planning to meet somewhere around 10:00am on Sunday, February 16th. Pleas post the directions here (it will be easier to sort through this then the 6 page thread). Also everyone check in who is coming that way we can arrange caravans and have a head count. If you plan on doing any maintenance please post that in your response as well. If it isn't too much to ask too, could you all post your real names, that way we know who we are speaking to.

PLEASE, keep this thread as simple as possible and use the other thread located here.

Thank you.
I'll start this off. I'm attending coming from Portland, so anybody south of Seattle that wishes to caravan, feel free to message me.

I might have a DMD to install, but other then that I would like to attach a loose ground wire I found back by the rear precat. Looks like it was never attached from the factory.

Robert
I'm coming via Vancouver, BC.

DMD to install.

I'll just meet at the meeting spot at 10am, wherever that is!

- Kerry
I'll becoming from around the Tacoma area. Anyone want to meet up, let me know.

dmd is going in.
I'll be there with DMD in hand. I live about 10 miles from Darren, so I won't be in any caravan

-Lance
I won't be able to make it but..

I do have a puller that you guys can use.. of course Qbert would have to pick it up..

Let me know

and someone buy my X-box!
Easiest thing to do is meet at a big public place that everyone can find.

I suggest that we meet at the Marysville Wallmart at 1000. The wallmart is located on the west side of I-5 at 88th street in marysville. From there we can caravan to my house.

Any problems with this, please let me know.

Directions:
From I-5, take the 88th Street Exit.
Head East to 67th Ave NE, Turn Right
At next Stop sign (golf course)turn left onto 84th St NE
Follow 84th up hill and over SR-9 and keep going till you get to 123rd Ave NE, Turn left.
Follow 123rd to the end and turn right. At gate use the keypad to find My last name (Naekel) it should dial my house and we will buzz you in from there.

There will be no detours onto the runway for any highspeed passes. (Sedeeq i'm glad your not coming)
Can you provide your address so that anyone who misses the 1000 meet can still find your house? I remember it's in a pretty cool neighbourhood with planes and runways.
Sorry, once in development, stay on the main road till you get to the runway. Follow around to the right till you get to the very end. By this time you should see my parkinglot.

BTW, Sedeeq, i'm just kidding.
I am most likely going as well. Trying to set plans in stone with friend. Would be fun to install my passenger lockless (green)door handle (if that makes sense) Anyway! A most likely from me. I hate waking up early though.

Chris
We might want to keep an eye on the weather for sunday. Possibility of rain. I will have one side of the garage cleaned out so if it does rain we have someplace to put one car to work on. So we can play it by ear for the time being as far as the weather goes.

So far this is who will be attending:

Robert (Qbert)
Lance
Kerry
Mike
Jaxo

I will have Johnsonville Brats, chips and soda available for lunch. If you want something else, feel free to bring it.
Well, at this point I don't know if I'll have my DMD in hand. It hasn't showed up yet. The CustomCougars guy hasn't been forthcoming about the exact day it shipped and he posted earlier that most DMD's won't arrive until Tuesday.

That probably means Mike won't get his either.

Shall we reschedule this since Kerry will be the only one that has everything he needs....? Just a thought! Discuss, discuss.

-Lance
Bummer for you guys.

Doesn't sound like much of a meet if no one has a DMD. We probably should reschedule. I'm not crazy about crossing the border these days, but I would for a meet.

I've got until Saturday 7:30am to decide if I'm going anywhere or not.

Kerry
If we postpone, then the Portland guys can come too...
Originally posted by Darren:
There will be no detours onto the runway for any highspeed passes. (Sedeeq i'm glad your not coming)

You know I don't need a runway!
I'm still willing to come up. Even if we don't install DMD's we could hang out and go for a drive somewhere.

If this is still on then I vote for the NW guys meeting somewhere just off of I5 in Vancouver at about 7am...perferably a Chevron so I can get some gas (it's cheaper up there). I think there is one on the west side of the 5 on 99th or something like that...do you know of one Mike?
One advantage to still doing this that I can think of is that Kerry could get his DMD done and we could do a Portland DMD install the next time around. That way, Kerry doesn't have to worry about huge travel plans from Victoria to Portland to get his done.

Kerry, I'm going to leave it up to you!

-Lance
Heh, I was assuming the next DMD meet wouldn't be in Portland!

I don't think it's fair if I decide this alone - though very considerate of you Lance.

Regardless, I have decided to go to Vancouver this AM. Gotta do some 'market research' (shopping) anyway, and some business in Vancouver on Monday. So I'll be available to come on Sunday should it happen.

So I'll let the discussion continue for a while longer. Perhaps Darren is all ready for us anyway, doesn't he have a DMD to install? Naturally, I'm game.

Kerry

OK, someone make a call on this...I need to know what we're doing.
What the hell, let's do it. If nothing else we can eat lunch and get Kerry's DMD installed. We can do Jaxo's door handle...we can change fluids too if needed. We could even get some tune up work in if we wanted to, especially since the Autolite plugs are readily available at any Schucks. I wouldn't mind doing the fog light mod (finally) like we did on Darren's SVT last time we were there. If it's wet, which the forecast says it will be, I won't mind showing off the Quaife a bit. What do you say?
Ok, sounds good to me. I'll show off my latest interior mods

See you there.

-Lance
I just got my DMD today. I wasn't expecting it for another 4 or 5 days. Dang it! I already have plans which I can't blow off so won't be able to attend the "installfest"

I don't have the necessary tools so I guess I'll have to head off to my mechanic. I figure the re & re is about an hour total?? Could you fellas let me know how long it takes? If I catch him on a slow day and have a bottle of good single malt scotch in hand, he may just let me use his shop or give me a break on the labour.

Cheers
Pete
I'm game! Give me a call tonight Mike, I just got done doing my front brakes on my car...need to take it out and test drive it!
I am ready for you guys.

Kerry, come on down and we will get your DMD installed.

Now that we know how to do the foglite mod, we can do that. Personally, I am having a problem w/the speaker in the drivers door. It keeps shorting out. And we can do anything else that needs to be done.

Yes, it will be raining. I have cleared one side of my garage for working. There should be plenty of room to work.

So come on down and up for this meet and we will see what we can get accomplished.

I'd say we still need to meet at the Walmart parkinglot at 10:00. and then head on out to my house.
I probably won't be showing up. My wife wasn't happy about me being gone all day as it was, so I'd better hold off especially if I'm not even going to install the thing. Have fun, and take pics for me.
Originally posted by Darren:
I am ready for you guys.

Kerry, come on down and we will get your DMD installed.

Now that we know how to do the foglite mod, we can do that. Personally, I am having a problem w/the speaker in the drivers door. It keeps shorting out. And we can do anything else that needs to be done.

Yes, it will be raining. I have cleared one side of my garage for working. There should be plenty of room to work.

So come on down and up for this meet and we will see what we can get accomplished.

I'd say we still need to meet at the Walmart parkinglot at 10:00. and then head on out to my house.

Sounds good! I'll make sure I'm at Wal-Mart in plenty of time.

Does anyone have some RTV sealant?

Eager to try out the new tires too...

See you tomorrow.

- Kerry
RTV, check!

-Lance

The only Wal-Mart I can find in Marysville is the following:
Wal-Mart SuperCenter
8924 34th Ave NE (Quilceda Blvd)
Marysville, WA

Is this the one?

I assume it's obvious to find if I just drive South on I-5.

- Kerry
Walmart is on the west side of I-5, you can't miss it. It is in Quilceda Village next to Home Depot.

I have everything here to do the install. Including RTV Sealant.

I will be parked at the South end of Walmart in my SVT.
Great meet guys. Kerry got his DMD installed (very nice!) and I finally got the fogs with parks mod done. We also did some throttle hang fixes courtesy of Lance. Darren cooks a mean bratwurst! After all that we drove around a bit, chased the Miata club 20 miles or so, then played some musical cars and drove some more! It rained a lot but that just made it more interesting. I know Lance took some pictures, and I believe Qbert and Kerry did also, so expect to see photos. Hopefully we can get enough DMDs together for an install party down here sometime soon. Thanks very much Darren for hosting and everyone else for coming!

Mike
So, how do you guys like the TH fixes?

Kerry, how's the DMD feel?

Sounds like chasing the Miata club was fun! We'll have to do the musical cars thing sometime when I'm in the pack

-Lance
Yes the meet went well. Thanks again for the GREAT food Darren!

We had a fun drive behind the Miata guys and an even better one when we turned off from following them (I can say there was 2 times I was wondering if I was going in the ditch...WHAT A BLAST). After driving everyone else's SVT's it is incredible the differences between them all even though 3 of the 4 were stock.

What kind of differences?

Would it be tires?

I'm curious.

-Lance
We all put in the TH fixes. I liked mine a lot, so did Darren. I think Kerry liked his, but I don't remember him saying for sure. I gave Darren my extra and he's going to put it in his wife's Taurus. I guess it does the same sort of thing.

As far as differences in the cars, the clutch and shifter feel were different in each of them. Darren said mine was notchy. Kerry's felt like what I would consider a new car! It was really refined...that DMD really does a wonderful thing to the higher RPMs. We didn't really drive that far in each other's cars, except when Darren and I went out in mine. We went out 5 or 6 miles just playing with the quaife. I think he likes it!

I expect that Rob's is the fastest. We found so many things decontented that its bound to be the lightest! Darren did say that mine felt heavy to him, but I think it might have to do with the mileage.

I showed Kerry and Darren my "vibration" at around 2400-2600 RPM. It's kind of disturbing. I might have some main bearings going out or something similar. None of the other cars experience this. I forgot to mention it to Lance at the meet...do you experience this? 5th gear at 60MPH in umbearable. I have to either speed up, slow down or shift to fourth. The oil pan will be coming off if the DMD doesn't solve it.

I'll get everything arranged for a Sunday meet here for DMD installations etc. We'll probably go after some tune-ups as well. Can't wait to get that DMD!
I'm glad you like the TH fixes... I haven't found many that don't like it. Many are skeptical at first, but usually like it right away!

I'm interested in having someone's thoughts on my car. It isn't quite as fast as the SVT's, but with the new manifold and throttle body, I shouldn't be far behind!

I, too, can't wait to get the DMD on! I'm a little scared of the decrease of performance in losing the UDP, but I want the smoothness.

-Lance
Yeah, the main difference I felt between all of the cars was the clutches. Kerry's felt stiff (but acceptable), while Darren's engaged about 1" from the top, and Mike's felt incredibly nice (I loved the firm feeling that the centerforce clutch gave). Mine clutch feels pretty light and engages about 1/2 to 2/3's of the way up.

Kerry's car felt very refined and incredibly smooth in the upper revs, no vibration when the clutch was depressed at high revs. One of the oddest things about Kerry's car was driving a car that showed KPH instead of MPH. I went to heel-toe into first and took a peek down at the gauges before I did and saw 45 and almost freaked until I realized it was KPH.

As far as Mike's car feeling heavy, I would guess that would be old suspension components. Bushings, shocks, and possibly springs all showing some age. It probably wasn't a snappy as the others, which all had 34K - 45K miles compared to 100K+

I wouldn't worry so much about a performance decrease Lance. I think the biggest thing you'll realize is the abilitly (or lack there of) to rev quickly in 1st. But as a daily driver smoothness should far outweigh the loss. I would bet that with the SVT intake manifold you'll be really close to us. The SVT manifold will flow almost 20% better (99-00 manifold) then the stock Contours. To get the most out of it I would recommend getting a new exhaust and intake (I know you have the SVT exhaust, but it has limitations). Borla would probably be a good choice for that, not loud but flows much better. I seriously wouldn't doubt if your car could keep up with an SVT fairly well due to the weight advantage.

Well, i'm glad everyone had a good time. Next time I will have the wife cook the food so I can mix and mingle more instead of spending valuable time in the kitchen.

The TH fix is hard to get used to. Now when I shift the RPM's drop faster than what I am used to. I almost like it better w/o but I do like the fact that when I let off the throttle the car slows down now. I'll give it a couple of weeks to really get used to it.

Running down the Miata club was fun, but the Ben Howard road was the most fun I think I have had in a car. Surpasses the open track I did in the Mustang. The SVT is a much more fun car than the Mustang ever was. Mike hit the nail on the head with his comment when we stoped. We have to do the Ben Howard rd when it is dry. It is awsome. Next time we can go all the way to the end.

The quaife in Mikes car was very nice. I want one now. As everyone else said, Kerrys car was very refined, and Rob's car seemed to be the quickest feeling.

All in all it was a productive and fun day. When we do the next DMD install day, I expect to have a fun road to run when we get done.

Thank for coming.
Whew, glad to hear everybody got home safely. What a crappy drive with the rain and poor headlights. I think I went the wrong way home because I started seeing signs for Redmond (I made the connection...Redmond = Microsoft = Seattle! = $#@&*%!) which freaked me out so I got onto I-405 North and eventually got home. (I need an in-car compass.) One reason I love going into the US is because I get to drive fast! Our highways here on the island are generally limited to 50 or 55 mph, that's it. Down there, I get to go 80 or more, which is where the car starts settling in. The ride is not supple until 70 mph.

Darren, thanks very much for hosting and for the use of the tools. Thanks everyone for helping out. I can talk about cars, but I'm not very experienced in working on them.

I would say the DMD makes a subtle to large difference depending on what you are looking for. I'm not that used to the SVT (drove it for 1 day before the meet, and about 2 days a week earlier) so I couldn't actually do an accurate comparison.

It makes a subtle difference from 2500 and up when you tip into the throttle at highway speeds to pass. From 4000 rpm under hard acceleration, I don't notice much difference until 6000 when it's obvious that the engine is smoother.

I never hit the rev limiter, but I did today a few times for fun. During the fun run, I did find that the engine was noticeably smoother under engine braking at high rpm. Less vibrations in the clutch pedal. No, I still haven't done the TH mod.

By the way, the fun run was fun, and I'm glad I brought up the rear because I would have held you guys up. When we ran to the cars to chase the Miata guys down, I had my own fun trying to get the camera back in the case and secured so I could drive properly. I think I hit 95 mph on the straights trying frantically to catch up to you guys. I had visions of a night behind bars or upside down in a ditch.

Lance, too bad you couldn't stay longer. I think there were 10-12 Miatas that we chased around. I have pictures from behind the wheel with everybody in front of me. Will post tomorrow. Naturally they are a bit blurry.

Note to self: driving by looking thru the LCD screen on a digital camera is NOT safe!

- Kerry
I know I got talking about those quad beem projector headlights at the meet and most of you if not all of you had not seen them. I figured I'd present a couple links for you guys to take a look at them...they are expensive, but they look like they are well constructed and would be incredible on the contour.

Pics of the lights on a desk

Pics of the lights on the car

Some pics about half way down of the lights projected onto a wall

Just thought I'd bring this up here...

Here are some pics.

Here we are hanging out taking some pics.

Then the Miata club roars by, about 10-12 of them.

We jump in the cars and the chase is on! I'm bringing up the rear.

After, we hanging out and play musical cars.

- Kerry
I am SOOOO SORRY that I missed that meet!!!!
© CEG Archives