Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 DMD install-fest - Sunday Feb 16 - 01/29/03 07:41 PM
Well, now that 95Mike and I have DMD's on the way, we really should have an install-fest for these! Anyone else?

-Lance
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/29/03 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:
Well, now that 95Mike and I have DMD's on the way, we really should have an install-fest for these! Anyone else?

-Lance

I'd love to install one on my car, but some of the SCCA people are giving me a little grief about it (not really a legal mod for stock). Anyway, I may try and find one and put it on anyway...they won't know the difference.
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/29/03 08:00 PM
I don't see why it would be a problem... it does NOT improve performance whatsoever. It might actually hurt it a little. It's purely for vibrations.

-Lance
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/29/03 08:04 PM
Exactly! Problem is convincing them.
Posted By: auiotour Re: DMD install-fest - 01/29/03 11:24 PM
Okay what is DMD? And what does it do, and how much will it costs me?
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 12:07 AM
Sounds awesome. Please not in Portland though!

When were you thinking?

Kerry
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 12:10 AM
Originally posted by kerrychin:

When were you thinking?

Kerry

HAHA...you Canadians just can't handle us Oregonians, eh?:D

No, that is fine, I wouldn't mind coming up there. Hopefully some of the other Oregonians will come up there too.
Posted By: 95Mike_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 12:21 AM
This sounds good. Name a date. Prefferably not a Saturday, I usually have to work those.
Posted By: Woogieman Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 12:32 AM
Qbert, I'm sot sure if it matters but the one I ordered from BAT had a freakin Ford stamp on it. You could say that it is a Ford product and that the Ford dealerships will install it without voiding warranty. It's worth a shot if you haven't already.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Woogieman:
Qbert, I'm sot sure if it matters but the one I ordered from BAT had a freakin Ford stamp on it. You could say that it is a Ford product and that the Ford dealerships will install it without voiding warranty. It's worth a shot if you haven't already.

Actually last time I knew it had the same part number, could be wrong. Anyway, I plan on going back to Nationals this year to race so I may slap it on for local events and then worry about it when it comes that time.
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Qbert:

When were you thinking?

Kerry

HAHA...you Canadians just can't handle us Oregonians, eh?:D

No, that is fine, I wouldn't mind coming up there. Hopefully some of the other Oregonians will come up there too.

Nah, it's just a bit faaaar, that's all. I love the fact that shopping is tax free!
Posted By: auiotour Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 04:40 AM
Originally posted by drajen:
Okay what is DMD? And what does it do, and how much will it costs me?

WTF? Does nobody know how to anwser or all you pretending you know what it is, and don't want to post incase you get it wrong. Lance, could you please tell me, or hell anyone. Thanks
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 04:47 AM
You could have searched for DMD on the forums...dozens of posts would have shown up!

DMD = Dual Mode Damper

It is a redesigned crank pulley that dampens possibly destructive crank vibrations. The theory is that crank whip due to harmonics causes the rod end bearings to spin. Buh bye bottom end, hello new engine.

They normally run $98 + shipping, so the deal today at $89 shipped was a good deal.

Since you have an auto, you don't need one. The torque converter does a good job of dampening.

-Lance
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 05:23 AM

When were you thinking?

Kerry

How about sometime in March? Not sure where, though. I suppose we could do it at my place, but I don't have a compressor yet. The crank pulley bolt really needs an air ratchet to get off with minimal frustration.

-Lance
Posted By: auiotour Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 05:51 AM
You could have searched for DMD on the forums...dozens of posts would have shown up!

DMD = Dual Mode Damper

It is a redesigned crank pulley that dampens possibly destructive crank vibrations. The theory is that crank whip due to harmonics causes the rod end bearings to spin. Buh bye bottom end, hello new engine.

They normally run $98 + shipping, so the deal today at $89 shipped was a good deal.

Since you have an auto, you don't need one. The torque converter does a good job of dampening.

-Lance

you gotta remember, I am going to be doing a conversion to mtx, that is if I cant find a svt. I won't be doing the conversion, I am currently working on a much larger engine swap with a local engine repair shop. I just need to get the engine and then the pieces, the rest will be taken care of by another company for 3500. So total price is going to be almost 5k. But when I get it done, everyone will [censored] a brick. lol gonna stick a brand new engine in it, and change to mtx. it will be a fast mofo.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 06:18 AM

When were you thinking?

Kerry

How about sometime in March? Not sure where, though. I suppose we could do it at my place, but I don't have a compressor yet. The crank pulley bolt really needs an air ratchet to get off with minimal frustration.

-Lance

I have access to air tools, but that is down in Portland. I'm sure Mike (Shotwell) has access to them also, again, down in Portland. Hmmm, I have a feeling March is out for me though, getting married on the 9th and then honeymoon will be the week after that. So that pretty much takes care of my March. What about the weekend of Feb 15th?
Posted By: 95Mike_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 04:17 PM
I don't want to jump the gun, but my parents have air tools. I'm always using their garage. If everyone wouldn't mind meeting where I am, I could ask them.
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/30/03 11:11 PM
Sounds promising... let us know what they say!

-Lance
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 01/31/03 07:53 AM
The weekend of the 15th might be good for me. I might even be able to get shop access, but yes that's down in Vancouver by Portland. I'm currently out of town but I'll try and get something arranged if there is interest. The shop has lifts and air tools, essentially the whole nine yards. Let me know guys!
Posted By: Darren_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/01/03 07:23 AM
If you need a place to do the work, I have the tools and space for this undertaking. Some have already been to my place.

I have a decent amount of tools and a air compressor including a impact wrench.

Let me know if you want to use my place.
Posted By: 95Mike_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/01/03 04:20 PM
where are you located?
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/02/03 06:17 AM
He's in the Lake Stevens area.

Darren, that sounds great. If the others are receptive, I'm all for it.

-Lance
Posted By: Darren_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/02/03 05:33 PM
If there is enough interest, let me know and we can set up a meet point and we can caravan out to my house.

If someone can come up with a list of tools needed, I can make sure I have everything. What I don't have I can get from my brother and have here at my house.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/02/03 06:07 PM
I'd probably be willing to make the drive depending on the date.
Posted By: Jaxo_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/02/03 08:14 PM
Same here. Would love to come. All depends on date.
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/03/03 04:17 AM
Sounds good. Lk. Stevens isn't too far. The Contour is coming out of storage on the 13th (yippie!) so I'm game. The DMD is doing me no good in the closet.

BTW, where do you guys buy tires locally down there? I need some tires. Am thinking it'd still be cheaper to buy and pay taxes at the border for them than to get ripped off up here.

Got about 2/16ths tread left, so driving in the rain will be a tad slippery, I'd expect.

Kerry

Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/03/03 04:56 AM
BTW, where do you guys buy tires locally down there? I need some tires. Am thinking it'd still be cheaper to buy and pay taxes at the border for them than to get ripped off up here.

Call Eric @ Ballard Firestone 206 782-6563. He posted in the "End of February" Thread. He's offering tires at wholesale to us folks. I just ordered some Firestone FZ50EP's from him on Friday. The prices beat the heck out of Tire Rack! I paid $135/each for 215 45R17 sizes, $149 at Tire Rack.

-Lance
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: DMD install-fest - 02/06/03 11:54 PM
Is this install fest on for around 2/15/03? Where? My DMD just arrived in today's mail...

OOPS. Pardon the last typo about the date.
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/07/03 12:33 AM

Call Eric @ Ballard Firestone 206 782-6563. He posted in the "End of February" Thread. He's offering tires at wholesale to us folks. I just ordered some Firestone FZ50EP's from him on Friday. The prices beat the heck out of Tire Rack! I paid $135/each for 215 45R17 sizes, $149 at Tire Rack.

-Lance

Good info, thanks Lance. Now back on-topic...
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/07/03 04:09 AM
Looks like I need to get a DMD pronto! Have we decided on a date? Darren's is a good place to do the work. Maybe you can set up some drag races!
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/07/03 06:17 PM
Hopefully mine will arrive before then, it is set to ship on the 10th by priority mail. I'm all for doing it on the 15th. Darren? You still up for it?

-Lance
Posted By: Darren_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/09/03 03:09 AM
Yes, i'm still up for the install. The 15th is what I have been working around.

Kerry, why would you have to pay the border taxes? You came into the country with 4 tires and are going back with 4 tires. Who would know?
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/09/03 04:14 AM
Yes, I know.

BTW, who is going to the meet and who has a DMD to install and who should bring some tools, and all those associated questions.

All I've got is my $100 torque wrench that I use on my wheels. Are we gonna need to rent a pulley puller?

Kerry
Posted By: Darren_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/09/03 05:27 AM
All I need to know is what tools will be needed. I will check with a friend of mine on tools and est. time for this project and have all the tools ready. I have all of the common stuff. What I don't have, I have access to.

I'm thinking a really big prybar to get em off and a "BMFH" to get the new ones on will work just fine. ya think heheheh

Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/09/03 06:17 AM
15th sounds good to me. If you do need a pulley puller, one of you could go to autozone and rent one for free. You just have to ante up for a deposit and return it when we're done. I'm not doing anything to my car, but I'll come up just to visit.
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/09/03 06:55 AM
FAQ says RTV sealant. Anybody got some?
Posted By: Darren_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/09/03 07:11 AM
A friend of mine is going to e-mail me with all of the specifics of time and tools and I will go from there.

Chime in and let me know who all is going to be attending. That way we can account for everyone before we all head to my house. And I can make plans for snacks and stuff.

BTW, lets make this an early start on Saturday. I would say meet I the wallmart parking lot in Marysville at 0830. be at my house by 0900. This way we can get a good jump on the instalation(s). Any problems with that let me know. We can work something out.

How many of these are we going to try and do anyway?

I will probably be different and drive my 67 mustang on Sat. This is just so I can get some miles on it. Still trying to break the engine in. Although this plan might change in the next couple of days. I'll see.
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/09/03 07:48 AM
I think that early is a bit unfair to the people coming from Oregon and BC. They would have to leave at 5:30am to get there in time!

I have a Craftsman pulley puller from my UDP install 3 years ago. I'll make sure I have all of the needed bolts still...

From the howtos:
DMD Install Howto

This has a list of needed tools. I have the puller and the 3/8" breaker bar. The installer tool would be very helpful, I had to, um, coerce my UDP on 3 years ago.

-Lance
Posted By: 95Mike_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/09/03 04:47 PM
As I said before, I have to work saturdays and the 15th is too soon for notice. If you guys wouldn't mind making mine last I could jet up there straight from work, but I don't get off till 1800.
Posted By: Darren_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/09/03 04:57 PM
Ok, Meet at 0930, be at my house by 1000. I am willing to work with you guys on this on this. If anyone else has a recomendation, you need to chime in.

Would there be an issue if we did this on Sunday to accomadate 95mike. I am open to this but it really is up to the rest of you who are attending.

I will have all the tools available here. So that won't be an issue.
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/09/03 07:39 PM
I have no problem with Sunday...it actually sounds better to me. I'll bring some extra tools as well so maybe we can do two at the same time. Somehow I envision working on cars all day...who all is actually installing a DMD?
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/09/03 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Darren:
Ok, Meet at 0930, be at my house by 1000. I am willing to work with you guys on this on this. If anyone else has a recomendation, you need to chime in.

Would there be an issue if we did this on Sunday to accomadate 95mike. I am open to this but it really is up to the rest of you who are attending.

I will have all the tools available here. So that won't be an issue.

If you are set on starting that early, then Sunday would be better for me, as I can't get there by 10am Saturday! Catching the 7am ferry from Victoria puts me in Vancouver at 9am. Also cool because I can get new tires Saturday to avoid doing the trip south on KDW slicks.

For whomever is counting, I've got a DMD to install. Sounds like a great time for those of you needing a new belt to change it too.

Should I bring some jack stands? Sounds like 2 at once is a good idea so we can still go for a drive and eat...

Kerry
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/09/03 10:48 PM
Sounds like Sunday will work better for several people. Sunday works fine for me, too. Sunday it is!

I will bring my puller and other tools as well. Hopefully we can get a couple going at the same time.

Kerry, make sure you have a new bolt! These are torque to yield, and are not technically reusable. The washer is supposed to be replaced, too.

-Lance
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/10/03 12:24 AM
Sounds like Sunday will work better for several people. Sunday works fine for me, too. Sunday it is!

I will bring my puller and other tools as well. Hopefully we can get a couple going at the same time.

Kerry, make sure you have a new bolt! These are torque to yield, and are not technically reusable. The washer is supposed to be replaced, too.

-Lance

Yep, thanks for the reminder. I have a new bolt and washer, which may or may not been needed. It has a rubber gasket thingee, so probably best to replace it.

See you guys Sunday!

Kerry
Posted By: Darren_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/10/03 01:14 AM
I have three (3) sets of jack stands and one set of ramps.

And Sunday works for me.
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/10/03 01:43 AM
Excellent! Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to get a DMD before then! Anyone have the part number off hand? I'll do some searching as well. If it's readily available in the area than I'm good. They are around $100 right?
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/10/03 02:18 AM
Sunday works for me. Everyone going north on 5 should caravan up that morning. It's going to be an early start, but should be fun.
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/10/03 07:09 AM
Sounds like a plan. I've got you (Qbert) on ICQ which is probably the best way to get me, so let me know where to meet. I'll PM you my home and cell numbers as well. Should be great!
Posted By: SVTweeter_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/10/03 05:56 PM
DMD install fest ... yes!!! hey where can I get a dmd at a good cost around here that can be shipped within the week? How long does the install take, anyone know? I have a funeral next weekend, geesh I hope its on Saturday!

Jared
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/10/03 08:52 PM
Sorry man, if you are looking to get a DMD before this weekend, it probably isn't going to happen.

I ordered mine at the end of January, and it is coming this week. It is on backorder at most places.

Several of us just got lucky with CustomCougars.com bringing several into the country. They all have to be imported from Europe.

You might try here. He might still have some left.

-Lance
Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/10/03 11:45 PM
Try ctamotorsports.com. They're in Toronto. $85. You may not be able to get the bolt or washer though.

Posted By: tgrimes Re: DMD install-fest - 02/11/03 06:24 AM
Guys:

There are still plenty of DMD's in stock. If you want one, go to Grimes Motor Sport

All DMD's come with new bolt and washer. Shipping is included in the price.

Shipping takes about 10 working days or less.

I installed mine not too long ago, and you can really tell the difference.

Posted By: kerrychin_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/11/03 04:02 PM
Well, what can I say, your post addresses an on-topic question... Good to know some may still have a chance of getting a DMD in time.

Kerry
Posted By: Sadeeq_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/11/03 05:28 PM
Have fun guys,
I'll be out of town, so take lots of pics so I can drool sufficiently.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/11/03 05:55 PM
I'm trying to get one right now, we'll see if I can get it here by Friday.
Posted By: Beowulf Re: DMD install-fest - 02/11/03 08:35 PM
Too bad I am busy all weekend...it would be nice to drive by and say Hi to all of you greasemonkeys.

Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - 02/12/03 07:41 AM
Looks like I've become a maybe on attendance. I might be flying to Portsmouth on business...dammit. I hate missing meets. I don't have a DMD to install, but I'd really like to see it done. I'll know for sure by the end of the week, so I'll post again when I'm sure.
Posted By: PDXSVT Re: DMD install-fest - Sunday Feb 16 - 02/12/03 11:31 PM
My DMD arrived, but I don't see that BAT included the attaching bolt with it when it was shipped out. Anyone got a lead for getting the attaching bolt and washer in a hurry?
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - Sunday Feb 16 - 02/12/03 11:41 PM
Call a local dealer and tell them you have to have them by Friday. The part numbers are F5RZ-6A340-B for the bolt, F5RZ-6378-A for the washer, and F5AZ-6700-A for the crank seal. Someone is bound to have them in the slew of dealerships we have around here. Good luck!
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - Sunday Feb 16 - 02/13/03 07:29 PM
I was just on Fastcougar.com and noticed that there is a guy on there installing a 3L this weekend and was wondering if anyone wanted to come by. He's in Bethel, Washington. I posted asking if it was ok if we swung by, it might give us something else to do. Just an idea.

Posted By: PDXSVT Re: DMD install-fest - Sunday Feb 16 - 02/13/03 10:01 PM
Thanks for the idea Shotwell, but the area dealers have only the crank seal in stock locally. Looks like the bolt and washer won't be here in time for an install this weekend. If there ends up being another DMD install get together for those that could not make it this weekend, I'll be a candidate if I'm around. My 9mm wires are still on back order too.
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - Sunday Feb 16 - 02/14/03 01:27 AM
Well, the good thing about that is you can still install the DMD. You can use the old bolt and washer temporarily. When you get the new bolt and washer it will be a cake job to install it since it won't involve pulling the belt or the DMD. Just a thought. It's what I would do. The DMD is in no danger of falling off even without the bolt since it is pressed on.
Posted By: Qbert_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - Sunday Feb 16 - 02/14/03 05:06 AM
Either that or in a month have a DMD install down here in Portland since neither Mike, or I have DMD's as of yet.
Posted By: Jaxo_dup1 Re: DMD install-fest - Sunday Feb 16 - 02/14/03 07:59 AM
I also have a DMD on my "must have list" to purchase within the next month. Portland DMD install g2g sounds very possible.
© CEG Archives