Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
This is the work a local machine shop did for my SC's ddriveshaft, I know one of the main guys at the shop and he can do others. More info on that later;

Pic 1 - shows the standard vortech outer shaft which we shortened.

Pic 2 - this is the bearing case they made, it has a bearing encased in the aluminum (i think that what he used) and capped to retain the centering embossment (sorry I may be killing some of the tech. terms)

Here is the SC side of the case

Pic 4 - This is the female spline end that connects to the SC drive shaft. From Vortech it is merely pressed on (NO Pins) Well that did not go over well with the machine guys. So they pressed off the end, machined the outer end to fit the bearing, pressed it back in place and pinned it. The spline was made of hardend SS.

Pic 5 - Close up on the shortened outer sleeve with the female spline exposed. This is how vortech ships these (except its longer ), there is absolutly no way to know the female end is centered in the outer sleeve when mating to the SC. The bearing inside the SC itself is the only thing keeping it true.

Pic 6 - Shows the machined female end fitting the new bearing casing. This ensures the shaft is centered at the SC and is a very precise fitment.

Pic 7 - The outer sleeve is back on and is centered in the new bearing case. Picture 8 shows the stock Vortech mounts are still used throughout the revised bearing assembly.

pic 9 - The female spline drive shaft is centered and ready to be mated with the SC's drive shaft. Notice the bearing assembly and SC centering "ring"

And finally the last two pictures show the new bearing assembly on the SC itself

The location of the new bearing is right on the female spline exactly where the SC drive mates to it. Keeping the jackshaft true is the problem with this kit. Before this was done the female spline was off center in the outer sleeve by a good 3/16's, that will cause excessive stress on only a portion of the male and female teeth causing the extensive wear (after all the SC shafts are spinning at 10-15k rpms).

The one in the pictures is a prototype, if anyone does want this done for them, the new bearing casing will be polished (or at least have a nicer finish) and may also be "cut" to match the other bearing case at the pulley end. I an not sure about the latter though.

Cost, you ask?? Obviously you will need to supply your complete shaft assm, but total with shipping back to you is looking like $275 (includes credit card or paypal fees) The cost is high due to extensive labor, each one takes about 8 hours to complete. Included in price is the hardware (4 screws), bearing, new bearing assembly, machine work to the female spline end (with pins), and the shortening of the outer sleeve. If your female splines are already damaged I will have to contact them about cost for that piece.

Bill

WOW thats beautiful!! That is definitly going to eliminate the shaft wobble that occurs by just letting them center themselves.

What kind of turnaround would you expect on something like this?
He picked mine up on Monday and had it done Thursday, so with time in transit on UPS I would figure 2 weeks.
Originally posted by kinger:
WOW thats beautiful!! That is definitly going to eliminate the shaft wobble that occurs by just letting them center themselves.

What kind of turnaround would you expect on something like this?

Here's my attempt to push you over the edge... do it Jesse... Do it! Rick, are you listening??? You too!
Originally posted by bnoon:

Here's my attempt to push you over the edge... do it Jesse... Do it! Rick, are you listening??? You too!

Lol, you just reminded me of Reese Witherspoon in election.
Really nice work, good design concept too.

warmonger
sweet!

You will be hearing from me this summer
can you contact them about my damaged female splines? As you know I am very interested in getting this done asap. My car feels like a dog without my s/c
Sent you a PM on the setup. BTW, I was planning something very similar using the bearing case from the pulley end and then remachining the other end, but since you've got the homework done, I'd be more than happy to pay you for the effort.

Rick
all i know is this, I want one. If and when they are available i'll take it or mabey talk to my mechanic and see if his machine shop can do it.
Originally posted by BStoneMega:
all i know is this, I want one. If and when they are available i'll take it

That makes two of us. Please keep us posted!

Jim
Just need your shafts and outer shaft case assm. and we can get it done, these made specifically to your shaft. As for the female end, sorta bad news, the guy is checking but it may be pricey. His best guess was $50-100 for that end alone. We'll wait and see what he comes back with. I'll know more by the weeks end.
Now I am interested in getting a Vortech SCr. Will this void any warranty by Vortech though? I know they have been pretty good about it when THEIR stuff went out, but what about with this? I know it shouldn't go out anymore now, just wondering.

Mike
Boss,

This will surely void the warranty on the shaft due to modifying it. The warranty on the unit as far as seals and such go shouldn't be adversely affected though. Of course this is just my opinion.

Rick
Hey dude,

I would love to get the shop info. from you. I haven't had any problems with my s/c yet but would be interested in avoiding any potential disasters buy getting the shaft and splines reinforced. Do you think the turn around time could be even quicker? Do you think any machine shop could make these upgrades?
Courtney
Originally posted by KnuKonceptz:
Just need your shafts and outer shaft case assm. and we can get it done, these made specifically to your shaft. As for the female end, sorta bad news, the guy is checking but it may be pricey. His best guess was $50-100 for that end alone. We'll wait and see what he comes back with. I'll know more by the weeks end.

so $375 total for a "rebuild" and new female end? Thats over $125 cheaper than vortech for a far superior product

Warranty from Vortech - I'm not sure exactly how they would handle the shaft, but I really think this is the best solution. As for the unit itself, rick summed it up in his post.

Regarding turn around time, I did mention that several people were interested to my source. I told him it may be wise to make a few of the housings in advance, but he still has to modify your outer shaft casing, as I said it takes 8 hours per unit.

Also the time frame includes shipping time. So depending on how fast you ship and how far from Ohio you are also will play a role.

Another shop could do the work, but they would have some leg work to do, which could cost you more and you may not get the same results.

BTW- I am not profiting from this, I am just offering this solution because Vortech has done nothing for me. Companies who show little to no support to customers deserve to go bankrupt.........
For those interested, I'm sending my shaft out tomorrow and I'll let you know my impressions as soon as I get it back. The car should hopefully be running the weekend of the 3rd.

Rick
I'm in dayton and would have no problems driving tp there to have it done. Would your source accept pre-pay to expedite things? Thanks for the help!
Courtney
Anyone have a donor shaft to start a mini-core return? Just don't want to take mine out of commission that long.
Sounds like I should get this done too.
yup, add me on the list. Mine will be sent out next week
I just got my rebuilt supercharger and shaft back from vortech! If everybody aggrees this is a GOOD fix for our S/C problem I am willing to do this ASAP. Everybody agree this is a good fix? I know the logic is there but has it been tested?
Originally posted by caholland:
I'm in dayton and would have no problems driving tp there to have it done. Would your source accept pre-pay to expedite things? Thanks for the help!
Courtney

Lots of things have to be done with your shaft alone, I have talked with Mark ( the guy doing the work) He is going to make a few of the bearing casings so that will shave some time off. But the main work has to done to your unit. Most of the time is freight time in transit, Rick is using second day air, so thats 4 days of time in shipping alone. If your in OH or South MI shipping is one day on UPS, meaning you ship Friday, we get it Monday and can have it back to you the following Monday.

Rick will be the first to get this besides me, I am sure he will agree this is quality work. He'll also be the first one with it operating (my motor is still on the stand )

My honest opinion about this upgrade - After getting shafted by Vortech (pun intended ) I was seriously rethinking this SC kit and the TC was looking mighty fine. So I talked to my partners friend, Mark. He works for a very good machine shop ( they have several military contracts and make things that cost several thousands of dollars ) So I showed him the kit, the result is in the photos. When I got it back I was very impressed on the work he did, so much that it convinced me to go ahead with the SC install after all.
Originally posted by BStoneMega:
I just got my rebuilt supercharger and shaft back from vortech! If everybody aggrees this is a GOOD fix for our S/C problem I am willing to do this ASAP. Everybody agree this is a good fix? I know the logic is there but has it been tested?

I cant guarantee this fix, but my kit's drive shaft was 3/16" off center in the sleeve, at 14k rpms it will fail and fast. This is the best solution to this problem. As for a core exchange, unless everyone knew for sure they had the exact same spec shaft, I would use mine for exchange as it is out of comission for another few weeks. But with Vortech's background on this kit, I feel more comfortable keeping things simple.

When I change my clutch this summer and have the motor pulled I will have a few weeks while the motor is pulled so the turnaround time doesn't bother me.

Never checked how far off center mine was, but I want to have this for peice of mind. As I said before you will be hearing from me this summer
Originally posted by kinger:
Anyone have a donor shaft to start a mini-core return? Just don't want to take mine out of commission that long.

I've got a spare outer tube, but not the shaft, I've also got the black bearing case.

Rick
Do you have the hardware on the tube as well? If so that may be usefull. The black bearing assm is not altered, so I dont think he'll an extra one of those.
I shipped my shaft out this afternoon to knukonceptz. I should have the car up and running within a month. I will let everyone know what myself and my mechanic think of this shaft upgrade.
knukoncepts, I just had a thought on this that should be taken into consideration. With the beefcaked drive shaft did your machinest leave enough play in the fit to allow for expansion/contraction of the metals used in the assembly. I wonder because as the underhood temp rises things are going to slightly change, without an allowable play tolerance I would assume that the shft or s/c could seize. does his sound right or is this point void?
The only thing shortened is the outer case, no moving parts have been cut aside from the outer end of the female spline so that it fits the bearing. Temp should not have any negative effects on this as this type of bearing setup is used in many automotive applications.

The drive shaft and meeting point are not altered, just supported.
perfect!
hey guys-
How many of your sc fella's have done this yet? Increased reliability?

Just trying to ssee what else would be needed to keep the sc running. . .

Suneil
I've got mine and it has about 375 miles on it. Everything looked great on dissassembly, but it's really hard to tell at that low of mileage. Should be getting more miles put on it after this week.

Rick
Three units have been made including my original, one to Buckshot the other to BStone, who is awaiting some other parts before reinstallation.

Currently I have to fix my oil pan, seems to have been mishandled while off the car Should be back later this week and the motor and tranny will be mounted up together. Then back into the car she goes
Were do I need to send my shaft and how quickly could it be finished?
Is it a brand new shaft or has it failed? Shafts in working condition take about 3-4 days to complete and then add transit time to and from Ohio (from cali thats about 9-10 days on UPS ground) So call it two weeks start to finish. PM me for more details.
Could you please PM me with the information. I have sent you two PMs. Please contact me. Thanks
© CEG Archives