Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Smokeshow Turbo Contour? - 01/21/03 02:12 AM
Any one in here know of or have an Svt Contour with Turbo? I have seen S/C ones and nitrous ones.. but I haven't seen a Turbo one. If someone has done this let me know. I was curious as to numbers and such and what size turbo was used.
Posted By: fst4dr_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/21/03 02:19 AM
Try a search. Street Flight makes a turbo kit for the duratech. There are a few contours with it installed. You should be able to find all the answers to your questions.
Posted By: Smokeshow Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/21/03 02:39 AM
Thanks Alot!
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/21/03 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Smokeshow:
Any one in here know of or have an Svt Contour with Turbo? I have seen S/C ones and nitrous ones.. but I haven't seen a Turbo one. If someone has done this let me know. I was curious as to numbers and such and what size turbo was used.

yes there is a turbo svt running around right now as well as a turbo cougar. stazi the aussie just got his street flight turbo kit a couple days ago. mine will be here in may. cost is $5000 and best numbers are 292 fwhp and about 265 tq.
Posted By: Smokeshow Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/22/03 02:45 AM
$5000 sounds like alot... and those numbers were on a "Modded" 2.5L and not a 3.0L? Any numbers on a 3.0? Anyone using anything larger than a T28? Like a T3/T4?
Posted By: quickSVT_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/22/03 03:49 AM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:

yes there is a turbo svt running around right now as well as a turbo cougar. stazi the aussie just got his street flight turbo kit a couple days ago. mine will be here in may. cost is $5000 and best numbers are 292 fwhp and about 265 tq.

when i talked to kaiser if i remember correctly the 292 fwhp was at 10 psi with only 91 octane. thats IIRC. those of us that live in a normal state that sells 93 octane you could get a lil more juice out of her. and keith from street flight says "the kit comes with a flip chip so you could even possibly run 100 octane". which he feels could be at 300 fwhp. ohhh dady like
Posted By: quickSVT_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/22/03 03:54 AM
$5000 sounds like alot... and those numbers were on a "Modded" 2.5L and not a 3.0L? Any numbers on a 3.0? Anyone using anything larger than a T28? Like a T3/T4?

actually those numbers on the 2.5 werent modded at all. kaiser (chris) returned his car to stock other than the cat back, in order to do the project. now to me thats impressive. if u ask me i think 5g is plenty worth it. the only thing ive heard for the t3/t4 is that its going to be fitted on warmaonger and beyondloaded se's 3.0L.
Posted By: Smokeshow Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/22/03 04:03 AM
On a stock Svt-C yeah those numbers do sound impressive. So per se I did a T3/T4 or larger. I would be the first to do so?
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/22/03 04:11 AM
Any numbers on a 3.0? Anyone using anything larger than a T28? Like a T3/T4?

yup, ill be using a t3/t4 turbo on my 3.0L coming this may. hoping for 400 crank hp!
Posted By: quickSVT_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/22/03 04:13 AM
well per se yes. but would you want to? thats something to call keith about at street flight and hell probably talk you out of it like he did me. i was looking into that as well. the t28 is the ideal turbo for our car right now. it hits full spool at 2700 rpm. if u ask me thats bretter damn fast. on a stock setup they dont recommend running anymore then 10 psi. however with the right mods and a lil better octane more can be achieved. now not to say the t3/t4 is bad , its just not the right application at this point. keith at street flight did inform me that a guy in i believe texas is fabricating a larger turbo that will still spool up the same as the t28 but will be able to hold more boost. keih says that it probably wont be ready till next year. he also says that it will be a direct bolt on replacement meaning that u dont have to alter the kit at all. this "guy may even use the t28 as a core charge and just sell his turbo to you in exchange for yours. but thats another story for another time.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/22/03 05:01 AM
That 292 was NOT on 91 octane. That was summer blend 91 mixed with 109 to an estimated 93 octane.
Posted By: Dustyn_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/22/03 12:41 PM
Wasn't that in plus 100 degree weather also?
Posted By: quickSVT_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/23/03 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Keyser:
That 292 was NOT on 91 octane. That was summer blend 91 mixed with 109 to an estimated 93 octane.

thanks for clearing that up for me. like i said above i wasnt positive. but now we all know.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/23/03 03:12 AM
You too?

You'd better hope I get orders to ship out before I finish my install if you want to be the first one. I've already got pictures of it mounted to the up-pipe in my car as of last weekend!

(Just a little friendly competition, you know)

warmonger
Posted By: Smokeshow Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/23/03 04:15 AM
The way I see it is, if it suffers to much from boost lag just add some juice... and your problem is solved... But the ability to drive it under normal conditions might suck.. things to look into... and thoughts to process.. just picking everyones brains and thoughts.. doing my best to find out some info on this topic... still debating on what to do... I seen post on S/C... dont like the numbers.. and I already have a S/C vehicle.. looking for something different... any more thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Smokeshow
Posted By: AirKnight Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/23/03 04:35 AM
Full boost before 2200 is a big turbo lag?
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/23/03 04:52 AM
Originally posted by AirKnight:

IMO thats too small of a turbo.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/23/03 06:07 AM
Originally posted by warmonger:
You too?

You'd better hope I get orders to ship out before I finish my install if you want to be the first one. I've already got pictures of it mounted to the up-pipe in my car as of last weekend!

(Just a little friendly competition, you know)

warmonger

dont worry, i wont be getting my kit until may. im sure youll have yours before then. plus i still have to get some parts made. hopefully it will be done in august. as for competition, dont worry...youll have plenty of it, hehe.
Posted By: AirKnight Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/23/03 06:23 PM
DOH! I meant large... emm... huge... emm... errr!
Posted By: Smokeshow Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/24/03 03:08 AM
Originally posted by AirKnight:

I was speaking about the post where no one was using a T3/T4 yet because supposedly the T28 was large enough.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/24/03 03:45 AM
The T28 is sized for tremendous midrange torque on the 2.5L, making it the best all around package for the street. The T3/T4 would work fine on a 2.5 if the piping were suitably modified to accept it. The spool up time on the T3/T4 could be raised or lowered depending on the size of the exhaust housing. I am using a T3/T4 with an exhaust hausing of 0.82 for my 3L application and with the intent of spooling around 3500 rpm. By comparison, a civic 1.6L in the bay next to my car and being outfitted with a turbo is using the same T3/T4 I am but is using a (i think) 0.35 housing that will alow it to spool about the same rpm. The 1.6L is about half the size of mine so the housing must be smaller to all the exhaust to quickly spin the turbo yet not restrict too much. 0.35 would be very restrictive in my car since it moves much more exhaust than the civic.
The guys at streetflight have done a great job at sizing the turbo based upon my desired power and operational rpm range.
The t28 would end up melting the tires on my 3L at low rpm ranges and choke the motor at high rpm.

There is not one-size fits all turbo, even among owners of the same engine type due to the driving habits of the drivers.

warmonger
Posted By: quickSVT_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour? - 01/24/03 04:02 AM
Originally posted by warmonger:
The T28 is sized for tremendous midrange torque on the 2.5L, making it the best all around package for the street. The T3/T4 would work fine on a 2.5 if the piping were suitably modified to accept it. The spool up time on the T3/T4 could be raised or lowered depending on the size of the exhaust housing. I am using a T3/T4 with an exhaust hausing of 0.82 for my 3L application and with the intent of spooling around 3500 rpm. By comparison, a civic 1.6L in the bay next to my car and being outfitted with a turbo is using the same T3/T4 I am but is using a (i think) 0.35 housing that will alow it to spool about the same rpm. The 1.6L is about half the size of mine so the housing must be smaller to all the exhaust to quickly spin the turbo yet not restrict too much. 0.35 would be very restrictive in my car since it moves much more exhaust than the civic.
The guys at streetflight have done a great job at sizing the turbo based upon my desired power and operational rpm range.
The t28 would end up melting the tires on my 3L at low rpm ranges and choke the motor at high rpm.

There is not one-size fits all turbo, even among owners of the same engine type due to the driving habits of the drivers.

warmonger

well put, this is why keith explained to me that the t28 would be the best all around package for the average driver wanting to improve their car. obviously you can do whatever you want when it comes to going fast. we all know it just takes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Turbo Contour - 01/24/03 06:41 AM
I'd still love to see a T04B S-3 trim dyno plot though.
Posted By: quickSVT_dup1 Re: Turbo Contour - 01/24/03 10:22 PM
" WHO WOULDNT..."
Posted By: Smokeshow Re: Turbo Contour - 01/25/03 06:11 AM
Very well put and explained and I agree with you. So, when you going to be a man and put on that T-76? J/K... Anyone have pictures of their Svt-C turbo?
© CEG Archives