Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Denzo Iridiums??? - 01/11/03 08:10 PM
I have been told that Denzo Iridium plugs are the ones to go with on any supercharged set up. What does anyone think? I will S/C my SVT next week and I need new plugs...
Posted By: TheGSRGuy_dup2 Re: Denzo Iridiums??? - 01/11/03 09:08 PM
Don't waste your money. NGK's website (a large spark plug company) has said that Iridium on a street machine is overkill and a huge waste of money. Platinum plugs should be fine.

BTW, it's Denso, not Denzo.
Posted By: Rogerm60 Re: Denzo Iridiums??? - 01/12/03 12:54 AM
Platinum is not recomended for high boost as the platinum tips can fall off into the engine.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Denzo Iridiums??? - 01/12/03 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Rogerm60:
Platinum is not recomended for high boost

Exactly

NGK TR6's are a good choice.
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 01/12/03 07:12 PM
This is my understanding so don't shoot me if I am off a bit...
Platinums last so long because the tip stays really hot and nothing can/will stick to it in between cycles. Unfortunetly they can stay hot enough to cause combustion in the chamber inbetween cylces due to the hot tip. Irridiums are supposed to ignite at a cooler (hence a colder plug) temperature and do not cause the detonation (ignition between cycles). Again, the turbo/supercharger crowd has been using these for a while... My part number is IT16 for the Denso's. I would like to hear some feedback. Maybe Warmonger, Rara, Kinger, DemonSVT, or any of the guys with experience... Any feedback is welcome...
As a side-note: I am not concerned about plug cost. The few dollars that will be spent over and above the cost of Champion Coppers will be worth it. ANY improvement is worth it, IMHO. I don't have deep pockets, but this is insurance, guys.
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 01/13/03 12:54 AM
Terry emailed me and made a pretty cool and inexpensive suggestion. You can take a regular large diameter copper electrode plug and gap to .035. The ground electrode (the arm) is then filed down to half the width of the main electrode. You also file the sides of the ground electrode square. Terry has a ton of eperience with this type of thing, so I may be doing just as he suggests. The entire plug set will cost about $6.00. A bit better than the $100 that the Irridums would cost. If it would be better I'd do it, but it sounds like this may be a better avenue.
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 01/13/03 03:33 AM
Damn, three posts in a row.

Anyway, what does everyone think??? Should I go with the NGK TR6's or get the run of the mill copper (ala Champion/Autolite) plugs and do this mod? Maybe I can spend a bit more cash and do the mod to the NGK's... Hmmm.
The Iridium's are about $12 each. Doesn't sound like the benefit would warrant that purchase...
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 01/13/03 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Rev. Po-Jay:
Should I go with the NGK TR6's or get the run of the mill copper (ala Champion/Autolite) plugs and do this mod? Maybe I can spend a bit more cash and do the mod to the NGK's... Hmmm.
The Iridium's are about $12 each. Doesn't sound like the benefit would warrant that purchase...

NGK plugs should be like $1.50 each. They won't break the bank.

You could even do it with a Motorcraft if you want like a AWSF22C or yes the Autolite equivalent.

DO NOT use Champions!
Posted By: Stazi Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 01/13/03 03:00 PM
NGK make Iridium plugs to if you MUST have them (and they are only $6 each - much cheaper than Denso). I had them on my car and they didn't feel any diffrent, really. I am now using the cold Motorcraft plugs that Demon suggested. I forget the number, but I had to order them special.
When I install the turbo I will be using NGK TR6's though.

If you want I still have the iridiums and can send to you for $10, if you wann try them. They are still perfectly fine.
Posted By: WorldTour_dup1 Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 01/13/03 03:35 PM
Tr55's in cold weather
Tr6's in warm weather
gapped to .045... no filing, no BS
-Mark
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 01/13/03 04:49 PM
TR6's it is. Sounds like it is a resounding "Get the TR6's and shut the fvck up!"

I appreciate the feedback and will let you all know how it goes. I may still do Terry's trick though. Smaller gap = less chance of plug failure.

Tomorrow is the date that I drop the car off. I am very excited.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 01/13/03 06:29 PM
Jason, who is installing it for you, Keith?
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 01/14/03 01:15 AM
No, he is too busy with the Turbo Kit prep. He has been welding like a freaking madman for days now. Dave is doing my install. He is the guy that they hired to run the shop while Keith dedicates his time to the Kit and Welding the Exhausts.
Posted By: ViggenPower Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/12/06 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Stazi:
NGK make Iridium plugs to if you MUST have them

NGK and others who clame iridum plugs are crap. NGK has approx 20% irdium content compared to denso's.

Give me 12 hrs so i can go into work and get all the data, but I just did a 400 hr long durability test on the 3 types of iridum plugs and denso ow3z.

-Tim
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/12/06 03:00 AM
Originally posted by ContourPower:
NGK make Iridium plugs to if you MUST have them

NGK and others who clame iridum plugs are crap. NGK has approx 20% irdium content compared to denso's.

Give me 12 hrs so i can go into work and get all the data, but I just did a 400 hr long durability test on the 3 types of iridum plugs and denso ow3z.

-Tim

And that is why I use copper plugs.
Posted By: ViggenPower Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/12/06 05:45 PM
Ok I was wrong. NGK builds good plugs. bosch sucks at iridium.

that is all, and I'm sorry that i brought up a 3 year old discussion.

stupid pete.

-Tim
Posted By: Stazi Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/12/06 06:10 PM
NGK is the best plug mfg co, IMHO, but Denso is pretty damn good too, just more expensive. Denso's O2 sensors OWN NGK's (aka NTK)
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/12/06 07:14 PM
Holy old post!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: ViggenPower Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/12/06 11:45 PM
Ya, old post because Pete sent me this to read, and I responded w/o even looking at the date.

NTK and Denso are real close w/ Iridiums but Denso platinum are the best imo. Denso platinum contain the same amount of iridium of Bosch's 'iridium' plug.

-Tim
Posted By: texasmerc2000 Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/13/06 04:55 AM
Old post or not the new guy's love the read, myself being one of them. I just bought the NGK Iridium IX from Napa. They have a 0.06mm center electrodes Denso's are 0.04mm. Right now Denso, Champion and NGK are the best performance plugs on the market. Autolites has put out a so called enhanced iridium plug but the content of iriduim is soo low you can't really call it an iridium plug.
Bosch makes an iridium plug under HKS Super Fire Racing which are a serious racing plug but don't know much about them other than they also have a 0.04mm center as Denso. NGK makes another iridium under Blitz that are 0.06 Though the plugs start at 25$ a piece from what i gather. Though i dont think either make specific plugs for the SVT, CONTOUR OR MYSTIQUE.The do it yourself'ers may find it interesting though.
I settled with the NGK Iridium IX and not the Denso for two reason's, Cost and their noted recommendations specs: NGK plugs are specially made for the Duratec.Plus they are fine wire Other than that i would have gone with the Denso's which are ultra fine wire. Champion's are a 0.07 with a iridium center THOUGH has a platinum tip.
I figure save a few bucks and hold on to ol' faithful NGK, which i run on all my motorcycles.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Denzo Iridiums??? - 05/13/06 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Rogerm60:
Platinum is not recomended for high boost as the platinum tips can fall off into the engine.

Well what is "HIGH BOOST" defined as? The lightning uses platinums and it is as high as most contours go, so I just used plats and had great luck.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/13/06 06:33 AM
NGK make Iridium plugs to if you MUST have them (and they are only $6 each - much cheaper than Denso). I had them on my car and they didn't feel any diffrent, really. I am now using the cold Motorcraft plugs that Demon suggested. I forget the number, but I had to order them special.
When I install the turbo I will be using NGK TR6's though.

If you want I still have the iridiums and can send to you for $10, if you wann try them. They are still perfectly fine.

I ran Tr6's for two years, and STILL have them in the tool box. They look fine,; good plugs.

I also run the plats as stated above and they are a bit better on overall hot/cold-winter/summer driveability I think. No problems and I assume Ray isn't having any problems still. Anyway, they are stock plugs so the ignition system runs just like stock so that is a plus.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/13/06 06:35 AM
Originally posted by ContourPower:
Ok I was wrong. NGK builds good plugs. bosch sucks at iridium.

that is all, and I'm sorry that i brought up a 3 year old discussion.

stupid pete.

-Tim

Ha! YOu suck. I hate getting suckered into an ancient post because I didn't read the date.
lol

Bad Tim
Posted By: tropictour Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/13/06 07:46 AM
Autolite just came out with an iridium plug. Around $7 a plug.
-tropictour
Posted By: DanG Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/15/06 11:04 AM
TR6s here, too- almost 15k miles on them, they look great... Tuned up to 342fwhp, just got my SVT cams to replace the 3L/Mazda 6 combo that ran out of steam around 4500RPMs...

400fwhp should be reachable with the SVTs in there... I know the turbo's up to it, and I know the engine will hold.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/15/06 02:30 PM
Originally posted by DanG:
TR6s here, too- almost 15k miles on them, they look great... Tuned up to 342fwhp, just got my SVT cams to replace the 3L/Mazda 6 combo that ran out of steam around 4500RPMs...

400fwhp should be reachable with the SVTs in there... I know the turbo's up to it, and I know the engine will hold.

D'oh - you were warned!!!

Oh yeah, I am going to run TR6's too. (THey're gapped and installed)
Posted By: DanG Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/15/06 09:13 PM
Bull$h!t! Those cams were RECOMMENDED to me by a noted member of both boards. I'm a mechanic, not an engine theorist... So I took it at face value!

Caveat emptor.
Posted By: gotapex Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/16/06 04:45 AM

And if you find those to one day be insufficient for you, don't forget there are other options:

Posted By: DanG Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/16/06 07:18 PM

How much, where to get, and what are the specs? Should I be checking out the Noble boards???
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/16/06 08:11 PM
Bull$h!t! Those cams were RECOMMENDED to me by a noted member of both boards. I'm a mechanic, not an engine theorist... So I took it at face value!

Caveat emptor.

Who Demon? Put some sweet MTL in the trans too?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/16/06 10:18 PM

Caveat emptor.

Hey, I got your TB's in the mail yesterday.
I think the prognosis looks good, depending on how pretty you want it.
Posted By: DanG Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/17/06 02:24 AM
Originally posted by warmonger:
Hey, I got your TB's in the mail yesterday.
I think the prognosis looks good, depending on how pretty you want it.

Hmmm... But what do you mean "pretty"? The outside didn't look too hacked up, the inside just looked like it needed some TLC, but those screws have GOT to go! As long as the cam swaps over and the thing doesn't look like a total kludge, I'm happy. You put a backing plate on the thing too, right? Seeing as how the bigger TB doesn't have a cam stop...

PM if you need any more info or have questions..

</hijack>
Posted By: stilov Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/17/06 02:43 AM
ANyone have the actual specs on the different cams. SOme say this, others say that. Yet there has never been ANY dyno info on many debates...2ndaries, cams, even there is little info on how much the stock rods can handle.

Oh but there is plenty speculation!!!
Posted By: gotapex Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/17/06 09:26 AM

How much, where to get, and what are the specs? Should I be checking out the Noble boards???

We had those ground for us to help spool twin GT2871R turbos. Rollhard over at NobleForums knows more about em.
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: Denso Iridiums??? - 05/26/06 02:54 AM
Holy [censored]! This is a true Resurrection! I though I was the Reverend!
© CEG Archives