Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BStoneMega 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/26/02 11:30 PM
Hey fella's, I just noticed this the other day. On my stock setup my boost gauge reads 10 psi around 7k rpm. Passengers have told me I hit 10 but I'm too busy paying attention to the road to look. I figured it was just the angle they were seeing the gauge at. So I gunned it and looked myself, sure enough I hit 10psi right before i shift out. Do you think I am really hitting 10 psi or is the gauge reading wrong?
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 05:05 AM
i've heard that on vtech kits with the alternative pulley. . .
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 03:14 PM
The Vortech blow off valve is a preset 10 pound unit that usually varies from 8-10 pounds from what I've seen. Other variances in intake and exhaust mods change boost pressure too (usually they drop if done after the SC unit in the flow path). In short, you're fine and you have a good bypass valve...
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 04:26 PM
10-4 Thanks alot!
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 04:55 PM
I can't beleive that duratec's handle 10# of boost, most cars can only handle 5-7psi on stock guts, good to see the ole duratec is a tough ole mule!
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 06:14 PM
man, I'm kinda itchin to see what kind of boost I'll hit with the other pulley? I probablly won't do it though, I have a feeling I'm on the threshold of blowing something up as it is.
Posted By: Faboo Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 06:32 PM
what is your current pulley size, and what were you thinking of changing it to???

hmmmmmmm, talking about boost
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 07:14 PM
Originally posted by BStoneMega:
man, I'm kinda itchin to see what kind of boost I'll hit with the other pulley? I probablly won't do it though, I have a feeling I'm on the threshold of blowing something up as it is.

The smaller pullies will not get you more boost unless your bypass is faulty, allowing higher than the 10 psi it's preset at. The smaller pulley will just bring on the boost sooner in the RPM range for your car. The smaller pullies can also be used to restore lost boost from adding things like an exhaust, ported intake or heads, or a 3L, etc... The most boost does not always mean the most power...

By the way, you're about 20-30 HP from being on the edge of a really serious 2.5 SVT. There have been several in the 295 range...
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Faboo:
what is your current pulley size, and what were you thinking of changing it to???

hmmmmmmm, talking about boost

I don't even know what the pulley size is, whatever vortech gave me. I'm pretty sure there is a smaller one available though.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 08:30 PM
So Bnoon, are you saying a catback exaust may not give me as much power as it would on a N/A engine? Also when I do put on a cat back I could actually lose boost?
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 08:54 PM
So Bnoon, are you saying a catback exaust may not give me as much power as it would on a N/A engine? Also when I do put on a cat back I could actually lose boost?

On the SVT cams there is a little overlap where the intake AND exhaust valves are open, what will happen is the boost will come in and go right out. If you have a free flowing exhaust it will go out easier and faster losing boost, if she's all bottled up then it will slow and you build more boost..simple explanation for a complicated process but you get the idea. Cat backs are always a good idea though.

You have the 3.33" 6-rib pulley and Vortech offers 3.125" (what I'm running my 3L) a 2.87" and a smaller one yet. You won't get any more boost unless you surpass the flow capabilies of that bosch bypass, then you'll get boost creep and it will creep up from 10psi. Run the 3.125" that will bring boost sooner and you won't out flow the bypass.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 09:35 PM
cool,I take it I can order up the 3.125" pulley from vortech and not run into any problems. That sounds good, I wonder why they don't give the smaller pulley in the first place?
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 09:53 PM
So they get another $60 from you!
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 10:25 PM
hahaha that makes sense.
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 10:35 PM

No, that's not it at all... Even though the boost may go down, you're still gaining HP because your over all flow is going up. Boost is only airflow vs. restriction... Lower the restriction, boost goes down, but air flow can go up = HP goes up. Want more boost after removing a restriction, such as exhaust? Spin the SC faster to bring up the pressure ahead of the engine again. That's why Vortech gives you the smaller pulley to start with on a stock car, then sells you the smaller ones to bring the boost back up once the rest of the car is modded. Find the smaller pullies on Ebay for $20 or so...
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/27/02 10:39 PM
wow...I really am learning quite a lot, You guys can really explain this stuff so a guy with little knowledge on cars can understand it. Thanks alot fellas, it feels good to get a non sarcastic, non bashing answer. Mucho gracias!
Posted By: Faboo Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/28/02 07:35 AM
wow...I really am learning quite a lot, You guys can really explain this stuff so a guy with little knowledge on cars can understand it. Thanks alot fellas, it feels good to get a non sarcastic, non bashing answer. Mucho gracias!

[bashing&sarcasm]dude, muchas gracias...come on now..this is 2K2..ignorance isn't an option[/bashing&sarcasm] sorry...it's late
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/29/02 04:51 PM
haha thanks for bringing me back!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/30/02 12:58 AM
You really are producing nice numbers from just a basic install. What exhaust system, are you mystery modded or not?

warmonger

Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/30/02 08:36 PM
I am running the stock svt exaust with a straight pipe in place of the resonator. Other than that the engine and exaust is stock. I'm not mystery modded, tell you the truth I don't even know what it is. I always thaught that my car produced slightly higher numbers than whats the norm. With just a bat intake and k&n filter I hit 174 hp. so the supercharger was bolt on 100 hp at the wheels, i was suprised at that too.
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/30/02 10:52 PM
It does sound as if you have a factory freak of sorts, considering the Vortech claims of 254 at the wheels were with an aftermarket cat back on the car!!! How's it doing in the cooler winter air? That normally turns the Vortech into a monster!
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/30/02 10:55 PM
Originally posted by bnoon:
It does sound as if you have a factory freak of sorts, considering the Vortech claims of 254 at the wheels were with an aftermarket cat back on the car!!! How's it doing in the cooler winter air? That normally turns the Vortech into a monster!

The little freak runs like a maniac! I get no traction at all, it'll roast em just pushing the gas first thru third gears with all the salt on the roads. I need the lsd bad before I try to get anymore power.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/31/02 12:39 AM
Wow. Thank the car gods. You couldn't hope to do better than that. If I were you I would plan out a nice exhaust system to see if you can improve your power. Don't wreck your stock pipes, just set them aside, just in case! lol

warmonger
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/31/02 03:06 AM
Originally posted by warmonger:
Wow. Thank the car gods. You couldn't hope to do better than that. If I were you I would plan out a nice exhaust system to see if you can improve your power. Don't wreck your stock pipes, just set them aside, just in case! lol

warmonger

I hear that. I was hoping I could get a borla, at least a y-pipe to start with considering its semi-cheap. I really need that LSD though. As far as the car gods go, I praise them everytime I hop in the SVT
Posted By: Faboo Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/31/02 05:02 AM
General ??:

why aren't LSD's available for ATX's...other automatic cars can have them.....why not us??????
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/31/02 02:52 PM
General ??:

why aren't LSD's available for ATX's...other automatic cars can have them.....why not us??????

It doesn't fit the ATX housing. The only reason the MTX-75 has one is because of the Focus having the same trans and a huge aftermarket support group. Otherwise we'd be SOL too... Since the ATX performance junkies are in very short supply, plus don't share trans with the unsupported ATX Focus (your only hope), you get nil.
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/31/02 04:09 PM
General ??:

If it makes you feel better I love my Quaife!! Sorry that was horribly mean uhh?
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/31/02 07:00 PM
So what do you guys think could give me 20 more HP than its supposed to have? Thats alot of horsepower.
Posted By: Faboo Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/31/02 07:16 PM
are u complaining??? 20 extra hp is 20 extra hp....no need to ask for plus...is everything corrected, and do u have significant mods, that could be it.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/31/02 07:38 PM
are u complaining??? 20 extra hp is 20 extra hp....no need to ask for plus...is everything corrected, and do u have significant mods, that could be it.

I'm not complaining at all. I just want to know how this could be. 20 hp is ALOT more than vortech claims, I don't even have a exaust on this car. just the Vortech, so what could make this so? The internals are all the same as every other svt. So I'm pretty much amazed. No complaints at all. I'm extremely excited to see what future mods will do. I'll post dyno charts with every mod I get just to track the performance increases or decreases to find out what makes this car unique.
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/31/02 07:51 PM
An instant 20-30 hp would be the Intercooler buckshot77 is developing for his SC 3L and will probably talk me into when I recover a bit from this last mod He is willing to sell the design once it works well on his car. A True Dual exhaust with gutted pre cats (mystery mod) will help a lot as well, probably 5-10 hp right there. A free mod would be Throttle Body optimization following the How to on the site or send it to Buckshot77 again and he will do it for a small fee.

Eitherway though man you have A LOT of HP there! I am hoping for just over 300 FWHP on my SC 3L! Of course I'll clobber you in TQ, but I bet our HP won't be far off! That's amazing from a 2.5!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/31/02 08:00 PM
Some engines are just better from the factory. Every now and then the parts on the assembly line sort of 'line right up' and you get good stuff. Maybe all your intake ports were lined up good. Perhaps the extrude hone job was better, maybe you just got a good y-pipe and exhaust manifolds (meaning less welds sticking up in the flow area).

Keep in mind that the 'effects' that helped you be 7-10HP better in N/A mode are now being magnified by the vortech. Double the base power over your counterparts.
warmonger
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/31/02 08:14 PM
If you're looking for simple bolt ons (or even FREE mods) I'd say:
Optimize your ypipe,
Optimize your TB,
Brullen exhaust.

That'd be minimal work on your part (in terms of fabrication), and I'd bet you could pull at least 10-15 fwhp.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 12/31/02 09:51 PM
I think I'll do the TB optimization this weekend and see how it feels. I'm going to rotate the tires to, mabey i can get better traction then. All this talk makes me want to order up some mods . I want tax season to come!
Posted By: TGO Re: 10 lbs. of boost? - 01/01/03 08:34 AM
{{Fiendish Grin}}
I also put down 175.3hp with only a kkm and deleted resonator - 155.5tq, peak numbers of course.
© CEG Archives