Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Expectations - 12/26/02 08:59 PM
Well guys, I did it. I bit the bullet and got myself a Vortech kit for my SVT. I should have it in my possesion in a few days. It is the upgraded kit that has the "fix" to the shaft. What type of things should I expect with the install? I know that they (Vortech) say that it is an 11 hour install, but I am wondering what else is needed to make it fit/work properly. I still need to get the battery relocation stuff. I have a very qualified shop doing the install. I have the Fuel Return system, so I will use the stock injectors, for now. Any other advice? What type of numbers (Dyno) should I see? I hear that I should see 265FWHP and 200-205FWTQ. Is that accurate?
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Expectations - 12/26/02 09:06 PM
You're pretty much right on for expectations and such. As far as install time goes, pretty much throw that out the window. Usually by the time everything is said and done with the battery relocate you're looking between 20 and 24 hours install time. The only easy way I've seen to do the install is when the engine is out of the car, but then again the last two we did we put on 3 liters anyways.

Rick
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: Expectations - 12/26/02 10:21 PM
I can't wait to feel 300 ponies on the 'Tour! I am gonna love spanking all the stock Stangs and hooked-up Hondas. Should make a true sleeper. I get people revving at me all the time! What is it? I don't have a checkerboard banner or NAAWWWS on the plate.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Expectations - 12/26/02 11:22 PM
Congratulations brutha! Be very carefull with the installer and make sure they know what there getting into. The install is no joke, just call ShoShop and see. Once its in your gonna like it, you wont get any traction, for sure gonna need the LSD. I'm saving for it right now. You can see my dyno chart if you search for it. I have a completely stock svt with only the resonator removed and the vortech. Kickin out 274 ponies with 203 ft-lbs tourqe! Let us know how everything goes and be safe.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Expectations - 12/26/02 11:38 PM
Check his signature he has the trans already.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Expectations - 12/26/02 11:40 PM
I'm not to bright , Dude is gonna be rippin hard!
Posted By: TGO Re: Expectations - 12/26/02 11:58 PM
Bstonemega...how much boost are you running? Those are pretty good numbers for just slapping on a SC!
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Expectations - 12/27/02 04:28 PM
well, I hit 8-10lbs. look at my post here in forced induction for a explanation.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Expectations - 12/27/02 04:42 PM
Hey, Congrats! Keep us updated! I'll be checkin out a school in Glendale sometime in the spring, and I want a ride.
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: Expectations - 12/27/02 08:50 PM
Ok. I will be here. I figure it will be a month or so before it is in and nailed down. I am very excited!
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Expectations - 12/27/02 08:59 PM
Buckshot is right I have no idea how hard this would be with the engine in the car. 11 hours is for the contorionist vortech mecahnics! Another thing that is very important is to make sure the alignment of the shaft mounting points are right on, there isn't much slop but before torqing the brackets on the trans and the bracket on the pulley side make sure they are even so that shaft is perfectly horizontal, we did this on mine and measured from the ground when the engine was out. If its out of alignment it could cause troubles after extended usage.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Expectations - 12/27/02 09:39 PM

The shop I had do my install took 40 hrs for the supercharger! This shop does upwards of 60 superchargers a year too. This was the first contour they have done. They said they will never ever touch a contour again! real professional huh? If I could do it all over again I would put it in myself.
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: Expectations - 12/28/02 03:28 AM
I will be willing to bet that the Turbo install is more labor intensive and I have been there for several of those... I am not looking forward to being without my car for that long of a period of time though. Oh well. All in the name of progress. Thanks for the heads-up.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Expectations - 12/29/02 02:27 AM
This makes me soooo jealous. BStone...I must have looked at your dyno graphs 100 times, no joking.
Too bad I have the 2000 SVT. It's got all the interior upgrades and higer compression, etc...but I can't get no S/C. I'm very hesitant to modify modifications (i.e. what Kinger and bnoon are doing). Can't wait to see more dyno graphs to drool over.
Posted By: TGO Re: Expectations - 12/29/02 07:11 AM
You can make the SC work on the returnless...i say go for it.
Posted By: mcon99_dup1 Re: Expectations - 12/29/02 03:09 PM

ya seriously making the Vortech work on a returnless fuel system is, well, pretty much trivial now that it has been done and proven. That is not a reason to hold up on doing it.

you need three things to make it work - injectors, chip and a MAF. Thats it....

Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Expectations - 12/29/02 06:52 PM
It's the whole "modding the mod" thing I'm afraid of. Is Kinger's car up and running? If so, I should pick his brain more (I already have ) about his install.
How much have people paid for their S/C installs? I'd like to have someone do it who's familiar w/ the Contour.
Brad, Jesse, you guys wanna install another S/C on a returnless car?
There is one more thing holding me back from this whole forced induction thing...Grad School. Dang!

Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Expectations - 12/30/02 03:08 AM
Jesse's car has been on the road for a few weeks now. He has yet to get the chip dyno tuned and I don't know yet if he has had his laptop hooked up to be able to make a safe full RPM run yet. As far as S/Cing a returnless car, the install is pretty much the same with the addition of the larger injectors and then installing the custom chip versus the stock vortech chip. Brad is done with the install stuff and I think Jesse is probably done, but I'm interested in it if you want to have someone do it. If you need any recommendations just PM Brad or Jesse.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Expectations - 12/30/02 04:00 AM
Hey guys,

My car is running but not very well yet, the warm idle map on the chip is messed up, so I'm waiting for the new program. Once I get that puppie back and I can drive it with out it killing I'll get everything dyno tuned. As far as the returnless SC its a peice of cake, you actually don't even need a MAF on a 2.5L. We used the MAF just because we installed huge 42# injectors, to feed that sucker and felt that the MAF was a neccissity and it helped the chip guys too because they could calibrate off of the spec sheet from Pro-M. On a regular 2.5 you can adjust for larger injectors with the chip. So all you need is a a dyno tuned chip (must be dyno tuned IMO) and 24# injectors.

Only draw back is it's not plug and play, you'll have some down time, until that chip get dyno tuned. Either way not a bad price to pay, I hope to be FULLY functional by the end of the month and will have bragging rights on my dyno sheet ......That is until Rick gets his baby done

© CEG Archives