Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: svttour2002 NOS on a supercharged SVT - 12/04/02 02:34 AM
Would it be possible to do this and not blow everything to pieces? I am just curious cause I want to do the turbo but I am wanting the reliability of the supercharger, but I would also like to have that extra boost incase I start to get beat or something like that.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: NOS on a supercharged SVT - 12/04/02 02:41 AM
How is a supercharger more reliable than a turbo?

Posted By: svttour2002 Re: NOS on a supercharged SVT - 12/04/02 02:45 AM
I have more faith in the supercharger because it has been around for longer thus creating more time to work out all the problems.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: NOS on a supercharged SVT - 12/04/02 02:51 AM
You 'can' run nitrous on top of boost but it is a bit more complicated. You need one hell of a good tune to do it. How big of a shot are you talking about. I've seen too many plugs vaporize to do it myself.
Posted By: svttour2002 Re: NOS on a supercharged SVT - 12/04/02 02:55 AM
I am not sure cause I was wanting to know if it was even possible. I am thinking about doing a 75 shot or somewhere around that.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: NOS on a supercharged SVT - 12/04/02 03:02 AM
I would not do that to my car. Something about nitrous and hypereutetric pistons shattering that I don't like. You would also need to dump a mad amount of fuel on top and then you risk hitting the fuel cut out at the top and boom!

I suggest head work, boost and a good tune. Someone is always going to be faster than you.
Posted By: fst4dr_dup1 Re: NOS on a supercharged SVT - 12/04/02 03:19 AM
Something to remember is that putting nitrous on a forced induction engine will produce more power than the same size shot on a N/A motor. This is due to the cooling effect the nitrous has on the incoming air.

You might be able to run a small (30-50) shot at about 3000 rpms til about 5000 to help the vortech get into boost. It would require a window switch and some tuning to make sure it would be safe.

I would not recommend it myself.
Posted By: AirKnight Re: NOS on a supercharged SVT - 12/04/02 03:29 AM
Why not just up the boost?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: NOS on a supercharged SVT - 12/04/02 11:07 AM
heat is your enemy. the nitrous cools the intake charge. you can add boost all day long, doesn't mean necassiarly (sp?) you will g et more hp.

Originally posted by AirKnight:
Why not just up the boost?
Posted By: WorldTour_dup1 Re: NOS on a supercharged SVT - 12/04/02 03:24 PM
it would be safer to run an intercooler or even water injection.
-Mark
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: NOS on a supercharged SVT - 12/04/02 04:46 PM
true, but that doesn't help your down low power....does it? (i'm not on the up and up on Intercoolers or W/I)

Originally posted by WorldTour:
it would be safer to run an intercooler or even water injection.
-Mark
Posted By: WorldTour_dup1 Re: NOS on a supercharged SVT - 12/04/02 05:13 PM
They both can help, but the intercooler will be most noticable. The biggest torque robber is intake temp, it will hurt torque more then HP (although it does decrease them both)
-Mark
© CEG Archives