Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SILVER SVT Vortech supercharger? - 10/25/02 01:12 AM
I was wondering if it is worth the money for the s/c and If any one is interested in selling theres off there car will give up stock parts if need....
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/25/02 01:18 AM
Running a returnless system will make it a bit more difficult. It will take some McGyverism of your own.
Posted By: brian8064_dup1 Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/29/02 02:25 AM
This returnless fuel is really messing all your plans up huh??
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/29/02 03:46 AM
Ya the 00 can't run it without some silly mods.
Wait for the turbo if im not mistaken you can run that
Posted By: Stazi Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/29/02 01:13 PM
Yes, the Turbo-kit was designed to run on a returnless car, using the injectors' pulse width to control fuel increase rather than upping the fuel pressure (as the Vortec does). Thus it will run on both return AND returnless cars.
Posted By: BDR Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/29/02 04:11 PM
yeah but not all of us have $5k to drop on a turbo!
Posted By: Stazi Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/29/02 04:16 PM
That may be true, but if you wait long enough, Street Flight may offer a lower cost kit without the Water-to-Air intercooler to make it more competitive with the Vortech unit, or so I have heard.
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/29/02 07:25 PM
You can make the SC work on returnless 2.5L for less then $300 on top of the kit, then sell the Vortech FMU and fuel pump on Ebay and it damn near paid for the injectors.
Posted By: brian8064_dup1 Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/30/02 04:16 AM
I'm all over that if its true..
Posted By: 98c70turbo Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/30/02 07:13 AM
damn that would be great if thats all you need to do to make it work
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/30/02 03:34 PM
Yeah on a 2.5L order the Vortech kit and ask for a BLANK SUPERCHIP (make sure to ask for a superchip otherwise they will give you a autologic) Then find some 24# injectors from a early Tarus and they'll drop right in. (bnoon knows what years work) Then take that blank chip and send it to fordchips.com and tell them what your doing. They will calibrate it to work with the injectors, fuel, timing, etc. They also are the only ones that have a neat little trick to put the IAT after the blower so it can measure the 'boosted' temperatures so when its hot the PCM will retard timing and on those cool winter days it will advance it. Very cool and more safe then doing as Vortech reccomends. Bnoon or I can fill you in on all the goodies required to make it work, its not tough at all, and don't worry about warranty because Vortech will still honor the kits parts. I asked them myself.
Posted By: hydro Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/30/02 08:25 PM
How fast in the 1/4 mile do you guys think a SVT can hit with the Vortech installed and a quaife along with the necessary mods to handle the power?
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/30/02 09:07 PM
Originally posted by HellaHydro:
How fast in the 1/4 mile do you guys think a SVT can hit with the Vortech installed and a quaife along with the necessary mods to handle the power?

Provided you can get any semblance of a decent launch. A Vortech'd SVT should easily be in the 13's.

I've seen Sam run 2.6x 60' times and run 14.1-14.2 @ 102+mph on the POS track we have here. (he spins through 3rd all the time!)

Knock out a good 2.2x 60' or better and that's well into the 13's. With a LSD & Drag radials and at a decent track it should be mid 13's with some practice! Then try out a smaller pulley and....
Posted By: hydro Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/31/02 05:00 AM
see thats all the answer i needed to hear. With that said, I will be purchasing the Vortech if can find someone to install it correctly and for a reasonable price on my 2000 SVT. thanks for the good info Demon
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/31/02 05:52 AM
Originally posted by HellaHydro:
see thats all the answer i needed to hear. With that said, I will be purchasing the Vortech if can find someone to install it correctly and for a reasonable price on my 2000 SVT. thanks for the good info Demon

What? No love for the turbo??

Just for comparision, you get a $3500 supercharger with no intercooler and no headers. For $5000 you get a turbocharger WITH an intercooler and WITH headers. Not to mention no parasitic loss to run the thing. Just baffled.

Oh, don't forget MUCH more TORQUE!
And, good luck getting it to work with your returnless fuel system. Turbo is already proven on 2000 SVT with XGT1 computer.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/31/02 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Chris Hightower:
What? No love for the turbo??

I have all the love for the turbo.

It is a superior package and performer; no question.

I'm sure the initial buy in cost vs the S/C is it's main detraction. (+$1500)
I even will agree that the extra components included with the turbo kit exceed the price difference (SS Headers, Exhaust piping, Intercooler, A/F tuner, etc)

It's still $1500 now vs later...

Either way I'm jealous of the power either one gives you...
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/31/02 06:10 AM
Don't forget the MPG boost you get. Craig Flango got 35 MPG driving from PA to ATL for Nopi Nationals. Not that a "serious modder" would care
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/31/02 04:44 PM
i didn't know you get boost on boost. . .that means a turbo pays itself off over the years in money spent on gas. . .hmmm, this might work in convincing a certain significant other. . .
Posted By: hydro Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/31/02 05:37 PM
Chris, how far are we away from seeing Track Times on a turbo'd Cougar or SVT? I want to know how fast my car will be running with turbo. I am still very interested, but I want to know what type of realistic track times to expect with a quaife and the other necessary mods to make it work well with the Contour.
Posted By: fst4dr_dup1 Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/31/02 06:18 PM
Of course you have to keep your foot out of it to get the mpg boost

If you dont the mileage will go the other way

The vortech is the same way, but not quite as much as that mileage. On the Highway, where you are only cruising, the mileage is better than stock, but around town it is a little less. I used to get about 280/tank mixed driving, now it is around 240-250. On the highway I can get about 300, if I take it easy.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Vortech supercharger? - 10/31/02 06:36 PM
The first set of mandrel bent pipes are coming off today. I should get mine back and be able to hit the track within a week or two. Not sure if I'll have time to do the quaife.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Vortech supercharger? - 11/01/02 01:23 AM
Don't forget the MPG boost you get. Craig Flango got 35 MPG driving from PA to ATL for Nopi Nationals. Not that a "serious modder" would care

I care...are you calling me not serious?
35mpg is amazing! He got that on a TC contour? Wow...I'm sold. I just need to remember where I planted my money tree.
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Vortech supercharger? - 11/01/02 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Derk2000:

I care...are you calling me not serious?
35mpg is amazing! He got that on a TC contour? Wow...I'm sold. I just need to remember where I planted my money tree.

He has a Cougar with lots of body work and 18's. Street Concepts.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Vortech supercharger? - 11/02/02 07:21 AM
Oh...I just didn't recognize the name "Chris Flango."
That's awesome, though. 35mpg is my personal best in my 'tour. If I could get that w/ a turbo strapped on...wow.
Posted By: PhatSVT_dup1 Re: Vortech supercharger? - 11/03/02 07:24 PM
Supercharger rules!!!!

Wouldn't mind trying the turbo out though too.

Don't let my 1/4 mile times influence you. LOL!
© CEG Archives