Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BStoneMega Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/23/02 09:20 PM
Can anybody tell me what kind of plugs you should use on a Vortec supercharged csvt?
Posted By: WorldTour_dup1 Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/23/02 09:27 PM
Copper plugs!
Platinums have a tendency to glow and break under boost. Last thing you need is a piece of the electrode falling into the combustion chamber.

I use NGK TR55's gapped to .045
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/23/02 09:30 PM
Alright! thanks alot.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/23/02 09:31 PM
Originally posted by WorldTour:
Copper plugs!
Platinums have a tendency to glow and break under boost. Last thing you need is a piece of the electrode falling into the combustion chamber.

I use NGK TR55's gapped to .045

I second the motion. Believe me, Mark knows what he is talking about as he was one of the few that had the answer to my spark problem with my SC'd SVT.
Posted By: fst4dr_dup1 Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/23/02 09:48 PM
I use autolite 764's. guess it doesn't matter too much, just stay away from platinums!
Posted By: PhatSVT_dup1 Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/24/02 07:30 PM
Autolites are the cheaper way to go and work just as good as the NGK, but what I did find out is they tend to not last as long as the NGK-TR55. Both a good plug.
Posted By: Chris@CTA Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/24/02 08:51 PM
Not sure what you folks pay for your NGK TR55's but I paid $4.00CDN each, or about $2.50US each. Having no other pricing to follow by, is this high or low compared to current US pricing?
Posted By: fst4dr_dup1 Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/24/02 09:14 PM
Can you get NGK's anywhere other than the internet? Only place I have seen them is on the internet and from mailorder places.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/24/02 09:37 PM
I got my NGK TR6's from GI Joes for $1.49 each on sale.
Posted By: PhatSVT_dup1 Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/24/02 11:18 PM
Originally posted by fst4dr:
Can you get NGK's anywhere other than the internet? Only place I have seen them is on the internet and from mailorder places.

I bought mine at Oreilley's Auto Part store here in my hometown. I am sorry I can't recall how much I paid for them a piece.
Posted By: VenomSVT_dup1 Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/25/02 04:06 PM
I paid about $2.00 a piece for my TR6 plugs. They worked great. I started with the TR55, but later found out that they are the wrong heat range for a 2000. If you need an example of what happens when plugs get too hot, here you go. This is what happens when you get to much nitrous and not enought fuel.

Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/25/02 04:29 PM
did it hurt?

Originally posted by VenomSVT:
I paid about $2.00 a piece for my TR6 plugs. They worked great. I started with the TR55, but later found out that they are the wrong heat range for a 2000. If you need an example of what happens when plugs get too hot, here you go. This is what happens when you get to much nitrous and not enought fuel.

Posted By: VenomSVT_dup1 Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/25/02 04:34 PM
Not to bad. I'm lucky the Venom kit has so many fail safes that it shut everything down before it went BOOM. I lost these spark plugs and had to change the oil. So I was very lucky! But that is one reason why I bought that kit, for all the safety features.
Posted By: ScarContour_dup1 Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/25/02 05:53 PM
What about Iridium plugs? I need new plugs and was concidering getting iridium plug.
Posted By: PA 3L SVT_dup1 Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/27/02 01:53 AM
Originally posted by fst4dr:

The NAPA I work at has TR55 sitting on the shelf. TR6 would show up on our overnight truck if you asked for it.

I second the longevity of the NGK plugs. I ran TR6 for 12k and although they did wear (especially the ground on the rears), they were nowhere near as bad as I expected.
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: Platinum plug's w/ a Vortec? - 10/27/02 05:06 AM
Originally posted by ScarContour:
What about Iridium plugs? I need new plugs and was concidering getting iridium plug.

If they have "Iridium" on both sides of the arc and your are not running forced induction, then they should be fine. However, I would save your money and just get the Autolite or Motorcraft double plats.

If you're running boost, then copper. Take that as gospel.
© CEG Archives