Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SILVER SVT What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/21/02 02:13 AM
I have a 2000 svt tour and going to put the bottle on it and wanting to know do i have a returnless fuel system and which kit is better for the fuel system wet or dry? thanks
Posted By: TommyBoy_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/21/02 02:39 AM
Yes, you do have a returnless system and a wet system is always the better option because a lesser chance of detination!! Although finding one may be a bit of a task!!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/21/02 11:58 AM
huh?

Wet = more backfire prone. But I love'em

Dry = safer, yet I dont' know if the zex will work. I think so.

Originally posted by TommyBoy:
Yes, you do have a returnless system and a wet system is always the better option because a lesser chance of detination!! Although finding one may be a bit of a task!!
Posted By: VenomSVT_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/21/02 02:04 PM
The ZEX kit will not work with the returnless fuel systems. The only dry kit that I know of that will work is the Venom kit.
Posted By: TommyBoy_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/21/02 05:56 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
huh?

Wet = more backfire prone. But I love'em

Dry = safer, yet I dont' know if the zex will work. I think so.

Originally posted by TommyBoy:

How do you figure the dry is safer???????
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/21/02 07:42 PM
Less likely to backfire.

Plus with a dual runner type intake, the fuel can also puddle, thus letting the car run lean. I think this is less of a problem with our style intake, as Doug Lewis, burnt up many pistons in his SHO with a single nozzle system.

Dry IS safer than wet.
Posted By: PhatSVT_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/21/02 08:52 PM
Dry is way safer than wet. If hooked up to your TB you have chances it will condisate, leaving puddles on the intake runners. I see a lot of people running the nitrous directly into their lower intake so less chances of this backfire happening. If the nitrous puddles onto the intake it causes it to all of a sudden charge and backfire which will lead to blowing your internals out your exhaust or wherever it may want to exit. Not a pretty site.

As for the dry system you are dealing with nitrous only and the only thing you need to do for fuel is upgrade the pump or run bigger injectors so you don't have any predetonation.

You can have a nitrous backfire with both systems but you are less likely with the dry.

Remember the more air you run in your motor you must compensate with more fuel too. Better to run rich than lean anyday.
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/21/02 08:53 PM
The only wet system that is safe on our intakes is the direct port type system due to the amount of turns and corners fuel can puddle in. The famed "Puff" popped one before going to a dry set up rumor has it. Wet is safer for preventing cylinder detonation though...
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/21/02 10:07 PM
How?

Originally posted by bnoon:
Wet is safer for preventing cylinder detonation though...
Posted By: TommyBoy_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/22/02 12:44 AM
Well, you of all people should know that nitro has a leaning effect on the fuel mixture and the gas richens the mixture!
The wet system I was speaking of in my previous post was the direct port system !!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/22/02 12:21 PM
thanks for the insight
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/22/02 02:27 PM
How?

Wet is safer because it doesn't rely on a vacuum bleed off to add fuel through the injectors by upping fuel rail pressure. Wet direct port also provides better fuel atomization through using the same merged nozzle as the N2O gas. Dry systems are limited by how far they can up the rail pressure, where as wet systems are limited only by the flow rate of their own pieces and the max flow of the fuel pump...
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/22/02 03:10 PM
Agreed Brad, BUT if you are NOT talking about direct port, dry IS safer than a wet single nozzle system. Tho I ran a wet single nozzle system on my car.

How?

Wet is safer because it doesn't rely on a vacuum bleed off to add fuel through the injectors by upping fuel rail pressure. Wet direct port also provides better fuel atomization through using the same merged nozzle as the N2O gas. Dry systems are limited by how far they can up the rail pressure, where as wet systems are limited only by the flow rate of their own pieces and the max flow of the fuel pump...
Posted By: PhatSVT_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/23/02 04:29 PM
Hey guys have you seen the new deal where the nitrous hooks right up to the fuel injectors? I don't remember where I read it or what brand makes this but I thought this was a killer idea. The injectors and nitrous all run together. If anyone knows what I am talking about and more info please share. I am curious.
Posted By: Stazi Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/23/02 04:50 PM
Yeah I have seen it, but I doubt it would be workable on the Duratec Contour, seeing as how the injectors are tilted. If you added this extra piece to the bottom of the injectors, the fuel rail wouldn't bolt up to the LIM or even allow the bolt holes to line up anymore, plus they'd probably causes the injectors to interfere with the UIM.
If the injectors had separate fuel rails for left and right banks that bolt to the LIM in the same plane (lengthwise) of the injectors it would be possible.

But of course if you have enough time, money and desire, you could probably make it work on the Duratec if you wanted too.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/NOSNS/NOSzle.html
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/23/02 05:23 PM
The injectors aren't tilted, they're raised up by about an inch or so. Raise the UIM to compensate, then you touch the hood... not workable on our cars...
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/23/02 07:37 PM
unless, you get a cowl hood? always wondered what that would look like.

The injectors aren't tilted, they're raised up by about an inch or so. Raise the UIM to compensate, then you touch the hood... not workable on our cars...
Posted By: PhatSVT_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 10/23/02 09:12 PM
Just thought it was a cool idea. If someone were o try it and get it to work. I could guarentee some sweet numbers out of it. The Venom kit showed it produces some sweet torque.
Posted By: AirKnight Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 11/19/02 07:10 AM
Can you inject N2O directly into the fuel rail via the schrader valve instead?
Posted By: Stazi Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 11/19/02 01:53 PM
Originally posted by AirKnight:

Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Can you say engine bay fire?

Plus the pressure of the nitrous (1000psi~IIRC) would overcome the fuel pressure(40-60psi) and probably lean out the mix = BOOM! and then it's bye bye engine!!
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 11/19/02 05:43 PM
take the fuel from the scrader, but don't add anything. Stazi is about right.

on a single nozzle set up, put the nozzle right before the TB (though IIRC there is a NX kit that has a ring that wraps around the front of the MAF, to 'trick' the MAF to seeing the 'cooler denser air' if you will.)

Posted By: fst4dr_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 11/19/02 05:51 PM
Doesn't the Venom kit work on returnless systems?

Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 11/19/02 08:21 PM
yup.

Originally posted by fst4dr:
Doesn't the Venom kit work on returnless systems?

Posted By: Trapps_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 11/20/02 03:38 PM
V E N O M
Posted By: AirKnight Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 11/22/02 07:25 PM
Yeah, but my plan is on 100 shot so I really think I should run direct port kit.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 11/22/02 08:46 PM
I'd say direct for 125hp + shots.

Doug Lewis and his old N2O Setup on a wet kit (IIRC) would go lean (i'm going off memory so don't quote me)on a 125hp shot, due to the fuel falling out of the air. IMO, the Duratec intake (2.5) doesn't have as aggresive bent runners so this would be less likely a problem until maybe 150+

guess I'll just have to find out

Yeah, but my plan is on 100 shot so I really think I should run direct port kit.
Posted By: AirKnight Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 11/23/02 04:37 PM
I'd say direct for 125hp + shots.

I can't though... I'm going to be running stock 3L internals, can't really spend that much time and money pulling the engine and rebuilding it again.
Posted By: SAFD1450 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 11/27/02 09:22 PM
Im not sure if we are talking the same kit, but i also have seen a kit that hooks the nos right up to the fuel injectors and I believe that kit would work. I dont have alot of experience with this engine YET! but the kit I seen only needed about 1/2inch more room from the injectors. I could be wrong though, somebody correct me if im wrong.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 11/27/02 09:54 PM
NOSzle system...

Originally posted by SAFD1450:
Im not sure if we are talking the same kit, but i also have seen a kit that hooks the nos right up to the fuel injectors and I believe that kit would work. I dont have alot of experience with this engine YET! but the kit I seen only needed about 1/2inch more room from the injectors. I could be wrong though, somebody correct me if im wrong.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 11/28/02 03:38 AM
Originally posted by SAFD1450:

It will not work. The fuel rail will hit the UIM.

Now if you fabricated a phenolic UIM spacer (good luck!) you could get enough clearance. However then you would be hitting the hood so...

I've thought about it a bit myself. If I did nitrous it would be a direct port injection wet system & I don't want to tap into the UIM.
Posted By: Brandon Mendenhall Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 12/04/02 08:20 PM
yeah, it's a Noszle system your talking about. You can check the NOS website to see if they make them for the duratech, but it's unlikely. I'm going to put a Noszle system on my Z in the spring. I'll post pics when it's installed if anyone's interested.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: What KIT IS NEED ON OUR SVT's - 12/04/02 09:17 PM
"Universal 6 cylinder Kit"

Originally posted by Brandon Mendenhall:
yeah, it's a Noszle system your talking about. You can check the NOS website to see if they make them for the duratech, but it's unlikely. I'm going to put a Noszle system on my Z in the spring. I'll post pics when it's installed if anyone's interested.
© CEG Archives