Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Keyser Soze V6 Turbo news - 08/29/02 08:53 PM
As most of you know I have been working with Street Flight on the V6 turbo kit. They realize that $5,000 is a lot of money to many people. Street Flight has told me that if a deposit of $2,500 is made on one of the first 20 kits, they will hold the kit in your name for up to 3 months after the kits have been produced. This may make it easier to get in on the group-buy-discount by being able to save up money over a longer period of time. They are also looking into some sort of easy bank financing. If you have interest please call Keith at Street Flight: (480) 615-4366.
Posted By: Chi-TowNSVT_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/30/02 06:23 AM
5 grand is still too much weather you pay it up front or over time. i mean look at other cars they make turbo kits for them for less than 3 grand, why is this kit so expensive? they make a kit for a stratus r/t for only $2800 and if you add $500 more you get a stage 2 kit, which also comes with a air/water intercooler. i know you guys worked hard on the kit and what not.... and made it possible for contour owners to have turbos on their cars and i give you props for that but there is no way in hell this kit is worth $5000. good luck selling the first 20 kits for that much cuz it wont be that easy.
Posted By: PXRacing Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/30/02 07:35 AM
Here's an IDEA Keyser, get a pic of all the parts, I mean everything from Turbo to nuts & bolts, put it on a work bench or better yet a nice white sheet, snap a shot and post the pic, Something like what Vortech does with there units. This will show exactly what comes in the kit and may help prospective buyers understand/justify the cost of the unit. Post it on the forums related to this, and any possible websites like Chris's.

Believe me this is better than showing it on the car, though it's nice to see it there.
Posted By: BurritaSVT_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/30/02 01:36 PM
Hey how many deposits are at 2500 so far I no mine is what the expected close> what are we lacking Keyser?
Posted By: TGO Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/30/02 02:56 PM
they will hold it for 3 months until you cough up the other $2500 right? Group buy price? Are you saying the price is going ot go higher than 5k!?
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/30/02 03:38 PM
Chi-town
Thank you for the appreciation and recognition for building the kit. When developing this kit 44 people said I'll take a quality kit for around 4500. That's what you are getting. 2800? The headers alone which are completely stainless mandrel are over a grand. You will be hard pressed to find anyone using 321 stainless in their kit. The turbo is a dual ball bearing T28. Ball bearings are a $500 option on top of the cost of the turbo. The kit you see is most likely a T3 which is 3 to 4 hundred retail and is mild steel tubing. I could have built that but that's not what was asked for and you(I) wouldn't have been happy with it.

Micah-
You are not the first one to have that idea. The fifth and final version of the headers is being completed so I can take the pictures. I don't want to post pictures and then it gets bought, shows up, and I hear 'hey that's not what it was supposed to look like.' Very soon and thanks for the suggestion.

Burrita-
You I owe thanks to among some others for having the stones to put down cash up front. I can't answer your question because I honestly don't know. The shop gets 5 calls a day on this so you will have to call Keith.

TheGreatOne-
Unfortunately it seems that SF will not be able to buy enough in bulk at a time and sit on it. None of the major manufacturers would do this kit so we did. SF doesn't have the resources to buy enough material and then stock it. The price will go up because SF's price will go up. To what is not known.
Posted By: jiako_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/30/02 04:08 PM
I think if you guys go out and price a "well engineered" turbo kit with quality parts u will see that the price isnt that far off. also u must go out and compare v6 to v6 not to a 4cyl. there is much more work done to get the v6 turbo to work. congrats to sf. when i can get a second car i will put this turbo on my 3L
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/30/02 06:28 PM
IMHYAEO (in my humble, yet appropriately educated, opinion) I believe the price for this turbo kit to be appropriate, considering the expected sales volume, the completeness of the kit, and the engineering having gone into the design and construction of the kit, including the use of high quality components.

Consider this, some recent research by a friend, put a similar kit for a 3-series BMW in the $9k range from a much larger turbo kit maker.

My concern, as a prospective buyer (too bad I'm too broke for this to be true) would be, to see photos/specs etc. for each component included, along w/ a complete list of said components. I don't think I've seen this stuff yet.

From what I know of this kit, the header design and construction, including material selection is top notch. The Turbo choice is excellent for proper size for this application, though it is also an excellent choice from an ugradability standpoint. The turbo itself is of excellent quality, and should provide a very long service life if treated properly.

Some of your points about price really aren't comparing apples to apples. Its kind of like saying, why the heck should I buy a $35k 2003 Cobra when I can buy a 2003 mustang for $17k paying no mind to the differences between the Cobra and the Base V6 mustang.

Bottom line, the kit price isn't unreasonable at all, especially when you consider the risk that StreetFlight is taking, especially considering the legendary fickleness of wallet from the Contour crowd in general.

Posted By: Terry Haines_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/30/02 08:02 PM
With respect Brian who in business would publish a parts list,specs & photos.......think about it from the competitions standpoint ...'yes please,now we can copy it all etc etc.......
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/30/02 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Terry Haines:
With respect Brian who in business would publish a parts list,specs & photos.......think about it from the competitions standpoint ...'yes please,now we can copy it all etc etc.......

The ideas that could be copied by pictures are already out of the bag Terry, i.e. turbo selection/placement/exhaust routing. If someone wanted to copy an exact design, all one needs is to make a jig from one kit. So what gives?
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/30/02 09:43 PM
and who in the hell would drop $5k on a kit where they don't know what they are getting?
Geez, its not like I'm talking about part prints etc.
Posted By: Ausgedient the Ninja Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/30/02 09:52 PM
It doesn't matter, he already said he is going to post pics...

Originally posted by Keyser:
The fifth and final version of the headers is being completed so I can take the pictures. I don't want to post pictures and then it gets bought, shows up, and I hear 'hey that's not what it was supposed to look like.' Very soon and thanks for the suggestion.
I also believe there have been a few "Complete List of Parts" around here somewhere.
Posted By: Terry Haines_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/30/02 10:11 PM
Well Brian I guess your the guy to get us all a $2000 kit for a V6 and stay in business more than 6 months eh!!!
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 12:20 AM
Well Brian I guess your the guy to get us all a $2000 kit for a V6 and stay in business more than 6 months eh!!!

where in the heck did that come from? you know, I'm just gonna assume you aren't trying to be an arse, and chalk it up to british humor that I apparently don't get . . .
Posted By: Eli_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Rara:
and who in the hell would drop $5k on a kit where they don't know what they are getting?
Geez, its not like I'm talking about part prints etc.

im with rara on this one. i dont know too much about turbos, but wouldnt it be possible to show the kit in pieces so you dont have to give away the plumbing ideas you used, while still giving prospective buyers an idea what kind of quality they are buying? i know i certainly wouldnt plunk down $5k without seeing the product in question.
Posted By: JVT_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 05:01 AM

With your business practices, tell me, how do YOU stay in business for longer than 6 months?

Czech humor.

-J
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 05:07 AM
Originally posted by JVT:

With your business practices, tell me, how do YOU stay in business for longer than 6 months?

Czech humor.

-J

I too would like to know how a person stays in business when he shys away from good customers??

Armenian humor
Posted By: JVT_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 05:13 AM
Chris, wow, tell me, how do I go about getting a frankentrans? Spill the beans on that top secret project!

But if you don't want to, I understand, the maker probably wouldn't want people to copy that HQ design.

-J
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 05:17 AM
Well John, since you asked (quick and dirty version) :

Frankentrans is what my trans is after after a certain someone worked on my car. He had installed the BD box on my car, it failed twice, first time at my emissions test in NJ, the second time on the way home from SZ2002 and I didn't want it anymore. As terms of our agreement, which that certain someone drew up, he would uninstall and replace my trans with a new one, which he never did.
Instead, I have a trans with brass bolts and plugs on it. The name Frankentrans was born. :/ All bow to the all-mighty and all-powerful FRANKENTRANS !!!!!!
Posted By: onosway Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 05:53 AM
ouch!

I thin i'm just going to aim to beat CB99SVT in the N/A SVT category 14.538@94.15

Soon enough...soon enough...
Posted By: Chi-TowNSVT_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Chris Arslanyan:
Well John, since you asked (quick and dirty version) :

Frankentrans is what my trans is after after a certain someone worked on my car. He had installed the BD box on my car, it failed twice, first time at my emissions test in NJ, the second time on the way home from SZ2002 and I didn't want it anymore. As terms of our agreement, which that certain someone drew up, he would uninstall and replace my trans with a new one, which he never did.
Instead, I have a trans with brass bolts and plugs on it. The name Frankentrans was born. :/ All bow to the all-mighty and all-powerful FRANKENTRANS !!!!!!

i wonder who it is
Posted By: PXRacing Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 06:48 AM
Personally I think a little bit of competition is good for BUSINESS! It keeps prices competitive and FAIR.

Now looking at the turbo kit from "Well this is what I Read standpoint," it really isn't offtrack for a customer to question the price.

Terry, Chris & Keyser, a visual aspect will be a heavy load of your shoulders, Trust ME!!
If someone see's the kit as a way to make one of there own, IMO I'd say GOOD FU**IN LUCK, that's all! You guy's know the blood and sweat that went into fabricating this, we also know it wasn't easy to do. We've told quality was not forsaken, we've seen dyno #'s on a non-svt, engine bay shots we're shown, it's time for the kit to be seen in all it's glory. It's more unlikely that anything will happen in doing so, except maybe some smilie faces!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 01:43 PM
We all have a tremendous amount of time, money, and effort into this project. Being possesive of something that you have a lot of everything in is understandable. I have already said that I would post pictures and I will. All I ask is that you allow the final welding on the headers. We are talking days here. If you can be patient, I will get them as soon as possible. I have a job that puts food on the table that gets in the way of being there every day.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 04:08 PM
ok, i think this post may be getting a little off topic.. id hate to see it turn into a bashing post.

anyways, keyser can u please figure out how many deposits have been made.
Posted By: Slimshady Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 07:23 PM
WOW fill me in on this so called mechanic?

I would not want him to work on my Transmission, O wait isn't there only ONE guy that solicits work here on the CEG for tanny work?

Hmmmm Doesn't he say If it ain't broke bring it to me and I'LL BRAKE IT then try to fix it?
Posted By: TGO Re: V6 Turbo news - 08/31/02 07:46 PM
In reply to:

Doesn't he say If it ain't broke bring it to me and I'LL BRAKE IT then try to fix it?

You forgot to add..."And then blame it all on you"
Posted By: Journie Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/02/02 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Slimshady:

I would not want him to work on my Transmission, O wait isn't there only ONE guy that solicits work here on the CEG for tanny work?

Hmmmm Doesn't he say If it ain't broke bring it to me and I'LL BRAKE IT then try to fix it?

I dont get it...whats going on with this transmission story?
PM me or email me if you dont want to post it here.I might need some work done and might want to know this.
Posted By: onosway Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/02/02 03:10 PM
double ouch!
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/02/02 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Journie:
Originally posted by Slimshady:

I dont get it...whats going on with this transmission story?
PM me or email me if you dont want to post it here.I might need some work done and might want to know this.

Man, don't worry about it, its a customer service problem between a business and one of thier clients, and the only reason it came up here, is because someone involved in the business came in here and made himself look like a jerk, prompting additional replies, unrelated to the original thread.

Added on Edit - a reminder, the transmission discussion does not belong in this thread. If you wish to continue said discussion, take it offline, or even start its own thread in the appropriate place. This thread should go back to its regularly scheduled topic of the V6 turbo kit developed by StreetFlight.
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/02/02 08:36 PM
Agreed. I will make a post, in the appropiate section.
Posted By: StreetConcepts_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/03/02 03:26 AM
I can vouch for the turbo being worth the money. My car is so fun to drive now and noone expects this car to run like it does. It makes for alot of jaw dropping looks from people that thought they would make easy work of the 170hp stock Cougar performance #'s.
Posted By: Brokk_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/03/02 04:49 PM
Personally I have to agree.. that this kits price is refected in its products and the people who have designed it. A friend of mind has a Nissan Nx2000, up until the yr or so there has not been a kit for that vehicle, there is ones for the sentra etc. but the application would not fit due the design of the vehicle. It took him 3yrs to finally build a kit on his own and close to 8000G, the easiest part was replicating the kits online etc. The hard part is to have someone who understands the vehicle and who can troubleshoot and tune the vehicle. So IMHO when you dish out the cash for this SF kit.. at least you know what your getting. Which is more that what I can if you get one online like a greddy etc.. with no tuning.

and every good tuner knows he who makes the most out of what you gots.. wins.
Posted By: PPC-Racing Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/04/02 06:17 PM
Chi-town
The headers alone which are completely stainless mandrel are over a grand. You will be hard pressed to find anyone using 321 stainless in their kit. The turbo is a dual ball bearing T28. Ball bearings are a $500 option on top of the cost of the turbo. The kit you see is most likely a T3 which is 3 to 4 hundred retail and is mild steel tubing.

I'm new but I had to jump in on this as I see some serious design flaws, ( I am building a TT kit for the duratec so this may come across as a slam but it's direct questions to the builders of the product and the chioces they've made)

I build kits for a few cars, in fact I have a nice BIG turbo on my supra, at peak boost of 16 psi, with my foot pushing the go pedal through the firewall I can just reash 1480F on the manifold.. now I don't know where your boys get thier metal info from but 321 is good for sustained use at 1850F and 304 is good to 1400F. I also don't know about your welders but I'm sure you've been told that mixing very different alloys like 321 and 304 is not a good idea as even TIG welds will be compromised. 321 is vastly overkill and silly, the reason you don't see people using it is becuse it's not required. my kits are all 316 which is good to 1700F sustained, however I also have the option of using 309, 310 and 421 alloys as well, all are 5x easier to work with and take manderl bending much easier.. I'm sure that $1000 is becuse you've got to send your 321 sent out to be done somewhere on the coast.

the water/air IC is an odd chioce given the very low boost levels your working at, adding more complexity to a design is a Jr. Eng. students folly. a simple air/air IC will do the same job with less parts to go worng.

I noticed the dyno info was done with the upgraded BB T28, not the bushing model. I'd like to see those numbers..

E manage is overkill, nice, but over kill, I use that in my full race kits for 400hp zetecs. Thier are better products for the boost level your working with.

Overall I don't see $5000 US in cost.. even with the extra T03 (new) and extra wastegate I can project @ the same price Canadian.

Personal thoughts..

It nice that your building kits and offering up solutions to power up the duratec.. but in the end, your overbuilding your way out of exsistence..

Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/04/02 06:27 PM
interesting, im sure this will stir up some discussion. btw, will your TT kit for the duratec go into production?
Posted By: PPC-Racing Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/04/02 08:24 PM
Yes, the TT will go into production and be sold through Performance Fords.

I've been in discussion with SF on a different board for a week or so discussing the merits, (or issues ), with TT vs. T, but this is the first time I've actually seen a parts listing.

Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/04/02 08:34 PM
good deal...any ideas of what the TT setup will cost?
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/04/02 09:17 PM
PPC Racing-

Either you have not looked under the hood of one of our cars or are just talking out your proverbial behind...

A water to air intercooler was needed to put boost on the high compression engine and choosen over a air to air unit becasue of size, effeciency and pipe routing. (BTW 9-10psi on 10.25CR is NOT low! I don't know where you learned math; must be those conversion rates?)
Routing the piping to the front of the car for an air to air unit would add lag time to the turbo and drop significantly more psi from the turbo to the TB. This would make the turbo have to spin faster just to achieve the same psi level which in turn would add a substancial amount of extra heat to the incoming air temp. That's 3 strikes against it right off the bat!

The E-manage is overkill? For ~$400 total for all the tuning capabilities it offers that is a great choice and price. More is needed than simple A/F tuning. Please explain this statement if possible.

The turbo choice is fair. Ball bearings were chosen to help eliminate lag and increase longevity of the turbo due to the exceptionally high heat work environment. Yes they could have used a lesser turbo and could "possibly" offer one in the kit I suppose.
They may have more info on why it was chosen over other units.
Posted By: PPC-Racing Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/04/02 10:08 PM
wow, Mr. aggressive comes out of the wood work, nice attitude bub.

In reply to:

"Either you have not looked under the hood of one of our cars or are just talking out your proverbial behind..."

I'll answer this once then don't talk to me again, people with attitudes like yours I can do without.

In reply to:

A water to air intercooler was needed to put boost on the high compression engine and choosen over a air to air unit becasue of size, effeciency and pipe routing. (BTW 9-10psi on 10.25CR is NOT low!

So you've chosen to run at MAX tunnable settings on an SVT and to reduce the Pre-det you've used a complex, ( relative to an air-air IC), system to do it. instead of simply lowering the compression and running an air/air IC. There's a reason why no one but draggers use air/water system. It's not nearly as reliable as air/air IC.

with My TT kit the first thing I will reccomend for those that wish to run over 7 psi on an SVT is to change out the slugs for lower compression. I've really targeted the standard 24V with my kit as it is more boost friendly. Then the NA specific SVT setup. Even the bump sticks overlap too much on an SVT for proper boosting.

In reply to:

Routing the piping to the front of the car for an air to air unit would add lag time to the turbo and drop significantly more psi from the turbo to the TB. This would make the turbo have to spin faster just to achieve the same psi level which in turn would add a substancial amount of extra heat to the incoming air temp. That's 3 strikes against it right off the bat!

really? so your saying a closed loop system will somehow bleed off line pressure ?? Your logic escapes me on this? Does your SF setup somehow loose internal pressure when your shifting or at idle ?? mine doesn't spoll time is spool time and a TT needs far less time to spool but a single turob, if trimmed out right, should not need more then a fraction of a sec to bring the system up to full boost once it's been charged already..

In reply to:

I don't know where you learned math; must be those conversion rates?)

a racial/nationailty slur how quaint.

In reply to:

The E-manage is overkill? For ~$400 total for all the tuning capabilities it offers that is a great choice and price. More is needed than simple A/F tuning. Please explain this statement if possible.

If your paying $400 us for the E-manage and the harnesses and SW then no wonder your charging $5k for it.. I can be had for less then that Candian coinage.. The statment was made as a cost effectness issue not a product complaint, as I stated I use the same product in my zetec race kit. but their are more fiscally viable alternatives to a $400 unit.

My comment on the Turbo was aimed at seeing the real numbers for the base kit offered not the upgraded kit dyno.. that's my comment, personally I find the custom turbo's I use to last as long and run cooler then a BB turbo. Speaking of which I saw no mention of how they plan to control pres drop across the turbo oiling system? have they valved the line or are they letting it free flow? if so do they have numbers on the oil press drop in the engine when the turbo is on the engine ??

Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 02:58 AM
So, uh, just out of curiosity, how far along are you on this twin turbo kit? and, do you have any photos/specs/details of the other kits you have said you've done?

oh, one last thing, what turbos do you plan to use for a TT duratech?
Posted By: PPC-Racing Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 03:06 AM
sorry, but until the TT is ready , NOTHING will be released about it, except what I may use as a comparison point..

You'll see the zetec turbo in a few short weeks.

and why am I going to tell you about my 'custom' turbos? it took me along time to souce, aquire and work with the manufacture to get these.

if you looking for info on our kits contact Performance Fords or look to thier website or ours for specific pics/details of some of the kits we've done.
Posted By: TommyBoy_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 03:13 AM
If there is a twin turbo delvolpoed for the tour I am as good as in!!!!! However something seems fishy..
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 03:34 AM
There is pressure drop across any intercooler. An air to air will have more then the much smaller water to air will. That is simple physics.

There is also pressure drop/flow degradation due to piping length, diameter, and the number of bends (past a certain point). The turbo must spin faster to produce the same amount of boost when filling up a larger volume.

Yes the standard Duratec is slightly more boost friend (9.7 vs 10), but .3 CR in the grand scheme of things is not a tremendous amount considering both are well past ideal compression levels for adding boost.

What other alternative for end user PCM tuning do you have at your disposal & how significantly cheaper than the E-manage is it?
If you really have such a unit at your disposal I would likely eat crow to get one. Nothing of that nature is available here in the states.(no "nationality" slur intended )

BTW - I neither have nor am affiliated with the Street Flight group or turbo. I just thought your slam of them was very unprovoked and miss-leading so I countered. Feel free to ignore me or not. Just be aware that by not answering my relevant questions you may end up looking worse in the long run.

Good luck finding room for 2 turbo's under the hood and even more luck with the intercooler placement and pipe routing. Not to mention all the heat they will produce and inflict on the underhood components.
BTW - Does this kit come with a new front bumper cover and what about the A/C condensor & radatior and airflow to them?
Posted By: Chi-TowNSVT_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 05:05 AM
will the TT kit be cheaper than the SF kit?
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Chi-TowNSVT:
will the TT kit be cheaper than the SF kit?

LMAO! Such a simple approach! I like it.
Posted By: PPC-Racing Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 05:48 AM
Originally posted by TommyBoy:
If there is a twin turbo delvolpoed for the tour I am as good as in!!!!! However something seems fishy..

Feel free to contact Performance Fords for surety of this product's development.

Chi-Town;
From preliminary spec pricing I beleive the cost will be lower then SF BUT do not quote me on this.. as of this moment the exsisting design seems to suggest it is possible.

ALSO! as I stated when I posted the FIRST Time, I was looking for discussion on what I saw as design and system short comings, if some people are too immature to discuss it rationally then don't respond at all. Frankly thier is a market for single and twins.. Just like in the 13B and 7M/2JZ world.. people have thier own preference.

Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 05:58 AM
I agree there will be markets for both.
However, I do see building a TT setup for a transverse mounted front engine/fwd V6 as being slightly difficult.
Not saying you can't do it or can't be done.
Though I don't understand why there will be an inherent head loss disadvantage of an air/water IC over an air/air IC. Design of said IC will be the major contributing factor over this aspect over any other...
If the V-Dub and Honda group can have a plethora of front mount intercoolers, why can't we? It can be done.
With the technological advancements that turbos have had (dual and twin ball bearing setups, ceramic bearings, etc), there is no reason a single turbo setup for the SVT's can be introduced with virtually the same spoolup characteristics as a TT setup.
No, I don't have a side. It all depends on what the consumer wants to spend his money on.
Posted By: Pascal_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 12:28 PM

For some reason, APR doesn't seem to be going out of business...
.. yet their 4-banger Stage 3 kit retails at 4k$! I really wouldn't worry.

My personal opinion is that 5k$ is the bargain of the century for that quality of setup, considering R&D.
Posted By: The Davis Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 04:05 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
BTW - I neither have nor am affiliated with the Street Flight group or turbo.

I'm glad you stated that. Everyone please keep in mind that the only representatives of SF that post here are Keyser and Chris Hightower. Opinionated discussion is fine, but please don't think SF is getting on here and bashing a possible competitor right out of the box.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 04:50 PM
oh, boy, I wish I had some more time to post my design critique, and critique of Mr. PPC-Racing's comments . . . but alas, it will have to wait
Posted By: PPC-Racing Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 06:26 PM
it's amazing, how, ' clique', like places become after a short while, heaven forbid someone come in a comment, not with a slam on a product but opinions and in some cases options or questions about parts of what they have done..

I was pretty sure grown-ups resided here, with mr. Rara's comments forth coming and other comments, not focusing on the comments about the product but rather aimed at the person saying them, I see that I was mistaken.

this being my fouth post I beleive.. I will make it my last and leave, so save your attacks on ME for email if you wish me to see them.

wish I could say I enjoyed the ' debate' but it seems I've ended up defending, myself at large.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 07:17 PM
PPC-Racing,
This forum ends up like that about impassioned things like this indefatigable V6 turbo that's been R&D for at least a year now.
SO, I think the comments are welcome, some people just digress into attacking the person making the comments, instead of focusing on the intention, which is a healthy discussion about how to mod our cars.
If your TT setup is indeed infinitely better than the single SF, so be it, if not, fine. Introducing some competition and asking some germane questions is what this forum is about, so ignore the personal attacks, those people are so wound up on the development of the product they forgot that there isn't such thing as perfection.

Just as a side comment, SF has put a lot of R&D into the development of this thing, and the pics, from the old contour.org, looked like they experimented with everyting, so until we get a comment from Keyser or Chris or Terry, none of us should really be getting all up in PPC's face.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Rara:
oh, boy, I wish I had some more time to post my design critique, and critique of Mr. PPC-Racing's comments

Beware. He may not answer your valid questions either...
Posted By: holycowSVTpaul_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 10:05 PM
Well, I hope he comes back. I liked the engaging dialogue. Besides, I believe if your product, much like any truth claim in life (I'm exMormon so I am big on any truth claims standing up to scrutiny) SHOULD stand up to scrutiny. If you have to back down on your product, that doesn't show credibility. Hey, the Beta was better than the VHF but look what most VCR users own? So, a good marketing plan is valid point for criticism too. Who wants a better product if a manufacturer doesn't stand by it. That is how I feel about Ford and their SVT contour. In any case, let's have an adult debate on the finer points of design engineering and let the educated consumer decide. Come back and answer the questions. Enjoy the diversity of the board.

One little comment though, changing out the slugs in an engine to change the compression ration is not my idea of a true bolt on kit. Response?
Posted By: The Davis Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/05/02 10:14 PM
Originally posted by holycowSVTpaul:
compression ration

HA!! I'm not the only one that messes that word up
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/06/02 12:27 AM
PPC-Racing,

In reply to:

it's amazing, how, ' clique', like places become after a short while, heaven forbid someone come in a comment, not with a slam on a product but opinions and in some cases options or questions about parts of what they have done..

Hmm, I don't understand, maybe I'm just dumb, but I saw a pretty hefty slam on a product, including insulting the engineering behind the kit multiple times. Not that I have a problem with offering an opinion on a product, but don't expect to not get other's opinion of your opinion. You seem to be one of those "everybody's free to have an opinion" type people, excpet of course, if thier opinion, or the actual truth conflicts with your own opinion. I seem to remember someone else like this.

In reply to:

I was pretty sure grown-ups resided here, with mr. Rara's comments forth coming and other comments, not focusing on the comments about the product but rather aimed at the person saying them, I see that I was mistaken.

I can assure you that adults certainly do reside here, and sometimes we engage in somehting called "technical discussion". It's fun really, where one side posts their insights and opinions on a technical matter, and then another person does the same, either agreeing or disagreeing with the other person, but giving real reasons why; and the discussion goes round and round with all parties benefiting from the sharing of technical information. Really its too bad you don't feel up to that. You imply I would focus on you as a person, rather than your comments, I am offended, seeing as how I do not know you, nor do I know your name, or even what you look like, how could I possibly have anything to comment on but your comments? You were mistaken, but only in the fact that you seemed to think everyone would simply take your evaluation as gospel, without some sort of discussion on the matter.

In reply to:

this being my fouth post I beleive.. I will make it my last and leave, so save your attacks on ME for email if you wish me to see them.

wish I could say I enjoyed the ' debate' but it seems I've ended up defending, myself at large.

Again, do you expect no one to disagree with your evaluation? You come in and make an attempt at ripping this kit apart technically, and expect no-one to defend it? If you are truly capable of an intelligent technical discussion on the matter of forced induction, then I will truly be quite sad to see you go.

Well, on to the technical discussion . . .

In reply to:

I am building a TT kit for the duratec

First, have you discovered yet, that locating the turbo for the rear bank is going to be a quite difficult task?

In reply to:

I can just reash 1480F on the manifold.. now I don't know where your boys get thier metal info from but 321 is good for sustained use at 1850F and 304 is good to 1400F. I also don't know about your welders but I'm sure you've been told that mixing very different alloys like 321 and 304 is not a good idea as even TIG welds will be compromised.

First, exhaust gas temperatures are completely dependant on tune, and the exhaust port design, so the temperature on your supra manifold may or may not be anywhere near what this kit may see.

Second, I don't recall ever reading that they are welding together 321 and 304. It may well be that the headers are 321 while the downpipe may be 304, I don't know, and I highly suspect you don't either.

In reply to:

the water/air IC is an odd chioce given the very low boost levels your working at, adding more complexity to a design is a Jr. Eng. students folly. a simple air/air IC will do the same job with less parts to go worng.

Are you a Jr. engineering student? because I see any twin turbo setup in a contour as needlesly complex.
Anyway, The water to air IC however, is, IMHO, an excellent choice in this application, due to the extremely limited package space, and the desire to limit tear-up to the vehicle receiving the installation. An air to air unit, is typically more desirable, however, in the case of the contour, space is so limited, that an adequate sized core would require considerable modification to the vehicle, and tear-up to fit, and could possibly jeapordize the concept of maintaining an adequate engine cooling system.

Yes, and air to air will do the same job, but requires significantly more continuous package space, and significantly more complex and longer plumbing to achieve the same charge cooling effect as the small water to air unit. This is package space the contour just doesn't have, at least not without ripping lots of things apart, and re-engineering most everything to work properly again. Not that it cant be done, but the water/air IC is a much better overall choice for this application.

In reply to:

I noticed the dyno info was done with the upgraded BB T28, not the bushing model. I'd like to see those numbers..

Why? the kit includes the ball bearing T28.

In reply to:

E manage is overkill, nice, but over kill, I use that in my full race kits for 400hp zetecs. Thier are better products for the boost level your working with.

I see proper fuel management as essential to a healthy turbo engine calibration. I would be interested to see what you deem to be a better product for this boost level, and how much it costs.

In reply to:

So you've chosen to run at MAX tunnable settings on an SVT and to reduce the Pre-det you've used a complex, ( relative to an air-air IC), system to do it. instead of simply lowering the compression and running an air/air IC. There's a reason why no one but draggers use air/water system. It's not nearly as reliable as air/air IC.

I already covered why a water/air IC is a better choice for the contour application, but I would also like to point out that a properly designed water/air IC system is extremely reliable, and is very often used in OEM applications. Oh yeah, and lowering the compression on a Duratech isn't really that easy or inexpensive, nor is fitting an air/air IC. Of course, if you are shooting for more than 350hp, then yeah, the lower compression is required to keep the dynamic compression ratio in check.

In reply to:

with My TT kit the first thing I will reccomend for those that wish to run over 7 psi on an SVT is to change out the slugs for lower compression.

Good, finally we at least sort of agree. Lower compression, yes. Though, I think the SVT even is ok up to ~9 psi with a good tune.

In reply to:

Then the NA specific SVT setup. Even the bump sticks overlap too much on an SVT for proper boosting.

Also agreed, the SVT cams are not the most ideal for forced induction.

In reply to:

really? so your saying a closed loop system will somehow bleed off line pressure ?? Your logic escapes me on this? Does your SF setup somehow loose internal pressure when your shifting or at idle ??

No, he is referring to losses due to fluid flow in pipes, a simple fluid mechanics principle. Its too bad logic escapes you (your words, not mine)

In reply to:

mine doesn't spoll time is spool time and a TT needs far less time to spool but a single turob, if trimmed out right, should not need more then a fraction of a sec to bring the system up to full boost once it's been charged already..

On a small displacement engine like the duratech, I highly doubt the spool time is much different from a BB T28 to twin T03s, in fact, unless the T03s have really small turbine housings, then I'm betting they would take longer to spool (not to mention that normal size T03s would be capable of supporting waaay more power than the block or con rods or pistons could support, and possibly the crank)

In reply to:

a racial/nationailty slur how quaint.

Wow, I wasn't aware that Canadian was now its own race, I was always under the impression that Canadians, like the British were lumped in with the rest of us white folk . . .

In reply to:

My comment on the Turbo was aimed at seeing the real numbers for the base kit offered not the upgraded kit dyno..

Again, there is no base/upgraded kit. The std. kit includes the BB T28.

In reply to:

Speaking of which I saw no mention of how they plan to control pres drop across the turbo oiling system? have they valved the line or are they letting it free flow? if so do they have numbers on the oil press drop in the engine when the turbo is on the engine ??

Woohoo, a real, legitimate question, I've been waiting for one of these
Of course, since I am not involved in the design of the kit, I cannot say for sure what method they have chosen to regulate the oil feed to the turbo, BUT I do know that there are a myriad of very simple and effective ways of throttling fluid flow, and because of this I have little concern over it.

In reply to:

sorry, but until the TT is ready , NOTHING will be released about it, except what I may use as a comparison point..

How unfair! you can use it as a comparison point, but I can't? I know nothing at all about it, quite unfair To be honest, I find it hard to believe you have done more than think about what parts you would like to use on the kit, and especially hard to believe that you would have started attempting to package any of the major components yet.

In reply to:

and why am I going to tell you about my 'custom' turbos? it took me along time to souce, aquire and work with the manufacture to get these.

So, you are using completely custom, one-off turbos? Anyway, I figured you might want to give people a reason to wait for the kit you say is superior to the kit already in discussion, but that's up to you.

In reply to:

if you looking for info on our kits contact Performance Fords or look to thier website or ours for specific pics/details of some of the kits we've done.

I did look, unfortunately, all I could find were "coming soon" comments on everything, and on your site, the Coming Soon for the zetec kit had a pretty old date, IIRC. I was really hoping to see some detail on the kits you said you have done, and the turbos you use. Oh, all I found on turbos, was standard T03 center sections for sale (btw, what do you charge for the center sections? I may need a pair of them sometime in the near future) and some rebuild kits, also for std T03s.

Posted By: Hightower GT Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/06/02 04:31 AM
321 was used because it was pretty much the same price as 316, the initial choice of metals.

Originally posted by PPC-Racing:

You're kidding, right? Try preaching that to OEM's that use water/air for intercooling. Air/water is cheaper, just as effective for cooling, and there is a VERY short path between the turbo and the TB.

Personal thoughts..

It nice that your building kits and offering up solutions to power up the duratec.. but in the end, your overbuilding your way out of exsistence..

Oh, and twin turbo isn't "overbuilding" ?

with My TT kit the first thing I will reccomend for those that wish to run over 7 psi on an SVT is to change out the slugs for lower compression. I've really targeted the standard 24V with my kit as it is more boost friendly.

So, in the end, your kit will be cheaper?

Then the NA specific SVT setup. Even the bump sticks overlap too much on an SVT for proper boosting.

Umm.... We are seeing the SVT cams are actually better than the non-SVT ones. SVT cams, by far, wouldn't beconsidered "radical" cams.

If we are having a hard enough time selling just this "simple" kit, what makes you think there is a market for something that will cost more, and be more of a pain to install? That's going to be fun jamming 2 turbo's under that hood without having long tubes going to them from the headers.

If it seems like I am slamming your "proposed kit", well maybe I am. Tit for tat.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/06/02 03:58 PM
How can it be much cheaper when there will be two turbos and housings to pay for? Even factoring that the eManage can be had for less money and you can fabricate your own harnesses, the software and data cable are at least $100 more, so $400 is not too far off. I can't stay silent any longer on this post either.
The twin turbo set-up just has more strikes against it than for it. I have looked at these cars longingly for four years trying to determine if a twin would work. You might fit it, but then you would GREATLY decrease the life of the components that are located near the turbos, such as the plastic cooling fans and wiring harnesses in back of the engine. The heat would be very high, and since you have two turbos you will have to locate at least one of them close to this stuff.
Ok, wrap them to protect the surroundings and then you have higher operating temperatures on the turbo and its piping than it would normally see. That means even if it is still in the operating temperature range of a one of the other stainless steels, it will still be HIGH in that range and the material will degrade faster with the higher kinetics. This alone is a good reason to use the better alloy so that it will indeed last a long time without eating away at all the metal. Think of it this way, annealing a piece metal is can be accomplished by running it at 2/3 the melting point for some fixed time period. This much heat gives you enough energy to allow a short time for kinetic processes to occur. What is the melting point of these steels? Take 2/3 of it and then make sure your operating temperature range is less. That is a good enough check as a rule of thumb without doing any significant research on the alloys.
That is unless you want your kit to 'just outlast the warranty period'. Or perhaps the kit may fall into the 'No Warranty' category?

Besides, when your kit is running and you have measured its power, then compare costs/benefits. People will listen and if it is better they will buy it. Your ideas/kit may well be highly competitive, so don't take it as a bashing on your non-existing kit.
As of now, you don't have a kit, which makes any 'working' kit BETTER, overbuilt or not.

One other thing, you use the emanage on the Zetecs? I would like to see that. I know for a fact that the emanage was only released to the use at the end of last year. The emanage was available in Japan, but the software was all in japanese before that. It also does NOT, I repeat NOT support the standard Ford ignition system used on the duratecs or zetecs. So what did you use it for, A/F control only? What about the cost of ignition timing control? If you were tuning this kit before the US version of the software was released, do you read Japanese? If not, did you design and tune 'many' Zetec kits with it in just the last 6 months? I would like to see that info as well. Again, not saying you didn't do it but I would be surprised at your resourcefullness and your... Should I say "energy" in producing all those kits in such a short time.

Feel free to square me away if you have the answers to all these questions as I am not 'bashing' just voicing my thoughts in the form of questions.

warmonger
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/06/02 04:38 PM
Dang - Rara, Chris...blow on your fingers! They're getting hot!!
BTW, good explainations from both of you. Thank you both for being calm and rational. That's how I like to see discussions go!
Posted By: Cathode Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/06/02 05:26 PM
and now that he's been properly disputed he will not likely return......how unfair.
Posted By: Hightower GT Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/07/02 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Cathode:
and now that he's been properly disputed he will not likely return......how unfair.

He disputed all my stuff and I'm still here.
Posted By: Chi-TowNSVT_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/07/02 03:37 AM
To the creators of the SF kit
would it be possible to buy only parts of the kit?
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/07/02 05:48 AM
I actually had that conversation with them the other day. What parts were you looking to get? I was thinking about testing the kit without the intercooler system.
Posted By: Chi-TowNSVT_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/09/02 01:06 AM
everything except the turbo and intercooler system
Posted By: FoxEric_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/09/02 02:59 AM
does anyone know how much trunk space is effectively lost due to the battery and coolant reservoir?
Eric
Posted By: KnightJPR74 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/09/02 05:32 PM
You mean you actually care about trunk loss with the turbo system relocations? I'm just kidding, but it can't really be that bad of a loss. I think that larger speaker enclosures would take more usable space than the battery and coolant.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/10/02 02:08 AM
Chi-town-
I posed the question but don't have an answer for you yet.

FoxEric-
Space lost depends on the size of your battery. The tank is 8x8x15 and holds 3 gallons.
Posted By: TGO Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/10/02 02:14 AM
Put the battery and tank in either corner of the trunk (nearest the taillights). That space is useless anyways...you'd be surprised how much crap you can fit in the trunk and still have usable space!!
Posted By: Dustyn_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/10/02 03:09 AM
Chi-town-
I posed the question but don't have an answer for you yet.

FoxEric-
Space lost depends on the size of your battery. The tank is 8x8x15 and holds 3 gallons.

What speciality or fab parts do we have to buy now before the kit becomes defunct. Say I buy the custom piping and what not and then buy the fmic later on from spearco. Also I have heard chris and you talk about how there is stuff left to tune to produce more hp. Is the latesst header design suppose to give more hp or is it in the EEC. Can we get any updates on your car how it is doing?
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/10/02 03:42 AM

becomes defunct.

i wouldn't be that cynical about it. . .the kit has a solid following right now, I hope it's around so the 20-somethings on this forum, once they graduate and can afford luxuries like that, have a chance to splurge and pimp the proverbial family sedan. . .
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/10/02 04:40 AM
We have changed the header and piping design one last time because we believe that we can hit a higher low end torque number. The new design is just awesome and I will have pictures this week. I have most of the components already on disk. I apologize for the delay in posting of pictures. Without any unforseen issues, I would like to lay down a new number on the dyno next week.
Posted By: The Red Magi_dup1 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/16/02 10:11 PM
Originally posted by ssmumich00:

i wouldn't be that cynical about it. . .the kit has a solid following right now, I hope it's around so the 20-somethings on this forum, once they graduate and can afford luxuries like that, have a chance to splurge and pimp the proverbial family sedan. . .

You don't know HOW much I appreciate that comment. Or should I say resemble that comment

NOT gainfully employed 20 something MSU grad,
Ray
Posted By: devonb_37 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/17/02 04:54 AM
Guys! I totally figured out the whole problem. (Time for me to get bashed!!!) Sell the Contours and the mods and the turbos (Twin or otherwise) and buy a mid 80's Porsche C4 for 15,000 or so. It way outperforms 95% of the 'tours and is way cooler looking!

So now... have at it. I won't check my e-mail for a week or so.
Posted By: Lee_dup2 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/17/02 08:31 PM
Originally posted by devonb_37:
Guys! I totally figured out the whole problem. (Time for me to get bashed!!!) Sell the Contours and the mods and the turbos (Twin or otherwise) and buy a mid 80's Porsche C4 for 15,000 or so. It way outperforms 95% of the 'tours and is way cooler looking!

So now... have at it. I won't check my e-mail for a week or so.

Where's the fun in that? You have an OLD Porsche.
Posted By: Ausgedient the Ninja Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/17/02 09:49 PM
Originally posted by devonb_37:
buy a mid 80's Porsche C4 for 15,000 or so.
When the time comes to repairing things on your two decade old vehicle, have fun paying inexpensive part and labor costs!
Posted By: devonb_37 Re: V6 Turbo news - 09/19/02 03:13 AM
kinda out of line, but try finding someone to repair a Contour inexpensively. I've found the cost difference to be marginal. But it's apples and oranges. A race car vs. a family sedan that kicks ass. and that has a lot of perks (i.e. with the cops!)
© CEG Archives