Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tourige Zex Box - 07/22/06 09:33 PM
Just wondering.

I wired up everything for my zex kit today, and i went through and calibrated my brain box the proper way.

Now when i go WOT i can hear it click, but it clicks A LOT. now im wondering if its supposed to do that, or if its supposed to just click once.

Also, my bottle warmer isnt getting warm, everything is wired properly and ive checked the ground and they are all right. Im just thinking maybe the bottle is already to warm (it was 31 degrees Celcius here today) mind you that the bottle is empty sitting in my trunk while my car sits in the sun.

One last thing. I still cant find a schraeder valve fitting, anyone know if the ZEX one is the proper one? or if it wont fit our schraeder valve?
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Zex Box - 07/23/06 02:47 PM
If the box is still clicking when u go WOT, it might be a bad box. Try recalibrating it. Check all the electrical connections, make sure they are all very secure.

Robert
Posted By: Tourige Re: Zex Box - 07/23/06 05:15 PM
Originally posted by RobSVT-t:
If the box is still clicking when u go WOT, it might be a bad box. Try recalibrating it. Check all the electrical connections, make sure they are all very secure.

Robert

so it should only click the once right?

i cant even hear it click when im driving the car.. cars to loud, any chance it just clicks like crazy when the acessory switch is on?
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Zex Box - 07/23/06 06:33 PM
When i helped randy install his, even with the engine off, it only clicked once. It sounds like there might be a faulty internal ground in the box itself. Did you buy the system used or new? If it's new, you should have a warrenty and should be able to send it back to Zex and they'll fix/replace. I'd definately double check your system ground, make sure it's very secure.

Robert
Posted By: Tourige Re: Zex Box - 07/24/06 02:01 AM
When i helped randy install his, even with the engine off, it only clicked once. It sounds like there might be a faulty internal ground in the box itself. Did you buy the system used or new? If it's new, you should have a warrenty and should be able to send it back to Zex and they'll fix/replace. I'd definately double check your system ground, make sure it's very secure.

Robert

ill try recalibrating it again.
The ground is tough, its mounted to the body, the wheel well bolt actaully.
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Zex Box - 07/24/06 02:38 PM
If you have a tune for the nitrous already, go ahead and give it a run. If it starts to studder at all, get out of the throttle. But be careful when doing it. Dont want you to blow your motor.

Is this a wet or dry system?

Robert
Posted By: Tourige Re: Zex Box - 07/24/06 03:18 PM
If you have a tune for the nitrous already, go ahead and give it a run. If it starts to studder at all, get out of the throttle. But be careful when doing it. Dont want you to blow your motor.

Is this a wet or dry system?

Robert

its not tuned yet.
I havent run the bottle.. havent even got it filled.

Its a wet system.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Zex Box - 07/24/06 03:58 PM
The clicking noise is the solenoids opening and closing. DO NOT just run it with that going on unless you don't mind blowing your engine.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Zex Box - 07/24/06 05:54 PM
Originally posted by SleeperZ:
The clicking noise is the solenoids opening and closing. DO NOT just run it with that going on unless you don't mind blowing your engine.

yea, i dont know why it would be opening and closing contantly.

I seriously need to get the car in 5th, going slow. stick my head out the window and gun it to see if it clicks once, or crazy times.

Any chance the TPS wire was the wrong one i wired into?

ill check my ground again, i dont see how it would have come loose.. but it was in a stupid location.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Zex Box - 07/24/06 11:23 PM
Hook jumper wires up to your solenoids manually just to test that they will operate correctly first. If they work fine when you hook them up manually to 12v, then check your ground/power wires.
Also, does the zex kit have a linear or a smoothing function? I wonder if it has a programmed curve like the Venom systems that smooths the onset of the nitrous shot by varying the duty cycle on the solenoids.

Sometimes bad relay contacts used to turn the solenoids on can cause the intermittent connection. I don't know much about the zex kit but it must have an internal relay or an external relay that may need a little cleaning or replacement.
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Zex Box - 07/25/06 12:22 AM
No smoothing function with the Zex kit, just on & off.

There have been the occasional failures of the TPS activation circuity of the box.

There isn't a way to test the solenoids by themselves (without opening up the box), you have to go through the control circuits. If your connections check out, call Zex and you should be able to send it to them to have the box fixed.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Zex Box - 07/25/06 02:34 AM
Confirmed it was the ground, i found a better postion and it works perfectly now.

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Zex Box - 07/25/06 02:46 AM
Against

Away from the throttle body for better atomization....
Posted By: Tourige Re: Zex Box - 07/25/06 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
Against

Away from the throttle body for better atomization....

thats what i thought, but wouldent it spray all over the MAF and IAC?

i mounted it pointing towards the UIM.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Zex Box - 07/25/06 03:36 AM
I dont think the nitrous is going to get very far with all that air rushing at it....

I learned from Mark (that douche bag) so you'll have to wait for him to chime in.....

I do know when / if I spray ill have it pointing away from the TB, Dont want that stuff pooling.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Zex Box - 07/25/06 03:55 AM
I dont think the nitrous is going to get very far with all that air rushing at it....

I learned from Mark (that douche bag) so you'll have to wait for him to chime in.....

I do know when / if I spray ill have it pointing away from the TB, Dont want that stuff pooling.

i mounted my nozzle RIGHT after the IAT so it has some way to move before it gets to the TB.

I thought the same thing about the better air disapation of the nitrous, but i didnt know if it would hit the MAF and cause an error.
Posted By: 99cougar Re: Zex Box - 07/25/06 05:01 AM

I've sprayed the 125 shot many many times now and it has not puddled as of yet. I have my nozzle RIGHT AFTER the MAF sensor. I drilled and tapped the MAF housing itself for the nozzle.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Zex Box - 07/25/06 02:14 PM
My nozzle WAS tapped into my T/B, pointing back, towards the MAF. Now, it's in a box, in my garage, awaiting pickup from Aaron.

Mark
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Zex Box - 07/25/06 02:24 PM
The zex systems are very picky about the ground. On Randy's car, we actually grounded it directly to the battery itself. Glad to hear you found the problem and fixed it.

Robert
Posted By: 99cougar Re: Zex Box - 07/25/06 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Now, it's in a box, in my garage, awaiting pickup from Aaron.

Mark

Mark i already have a nitrous sytem...i don't need yours!
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: Zex Box - 07/25/06 03:52 PM
The zex systems are very picky about the ground. On Randy's car, we actually grounded it directly to the battery itself. Glad to hear you found the problem and fixed it.

Robert

now it is grounded by a rpm window switch. Nitrous safety here I come!
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: Zex Box - 07/25/06 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
My nozzle WAS tapped into my T/B, pointing back, towards the MAF. Now, it's in a box, in my garage, awaiting pickup from Aaron.

Mark

I shall pick it up soon, stupid POS car that I bought is throwing a kink in my plans . I can't wait until I have this kit in my car .

Aaron
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Zex Box - 07/26/06 01:23 AM
That is true. But even the window switch is grounded to the battery.

Robert
© CEG Archives