Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: RTE117 Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/22/06 05:58 PM
Hi I signed up in hopes that someone could answer a few questions about this car for me. I found it at a local dealer with 100K for $5990 and was tempted, but first, I want to know where the potential lies. I see that many people drop a 3.0L shortblock on this car for relatively cheap, which sounds nice, but I want to know what are the limits of the factory 2.5L under boost? I can fabricate a turbo setup myself, but will the engine conservatively make anywhere near 300 WHP? Or is the 3.0L shortblock the better way to approach this? Thanks for any help. Oh, and also, this is the first time I've considered a twin-bank engine, so must a turbo setup be done in a twin configuration? Or can I run a single off one bank? Sorry I've been turbo'ing I4 and this is new. THanks
Posted By: RTE117 Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/22/06 08:02 PM
I guess noone boosts the 2.5L here? Eh damnit.
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/22/06 08:07 PM
Chris Wong from CTA Motorsports has a supercharged 2.5 motor. All stock internal and it's 275hp at the wheels. Warmonger had over 300hp on stock internals on his 3L with a turbo. Alot of this can be found using the search function .

Aaron
Posted By: stilov Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/22/06 08:08 PM
#1 I think they are asking too much for the car
#2 some boost the 2.5, but almost all go to the 3.0 eventually
#3 300whp is pushing it for a stock 2.5 (yes some have done very close to that, but I don't believe anyone much more)
Posted By: RTE117 Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/22/06 08:10 PM
Thanks! Um, how much should I offer? The car is in decent condition for a 98. No rust, but the paint has some blemishes. Is the car strong enough to run a long time? I've never owned a Ford lol. I figure I could shoot for 250 WHP then. That should be enough to trap 105-107 assuming the torque is there.
Posted By: stilov Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/22/06 08:15 PM
well as far as "strong enough" doubt it...the 98's have weaker ring lands. Another issue with them is the differential...they break on stock contours.

I "think" a lot of boosted 2.5 guys (stock 2.5 that is) are hitting avg 275-285 to the wheels...trust me more power than this car was designed to handle.

I guess they are asking about what other dealers are, but if you search around...I can't imagine paying much more than about 4k for one like that..I may be wrong...I haven't been shopping for SVT Contours lately.
Originally posted by RTE117:
I guess noone boosts the 2.5L here? Eh damnit.

Hey, you really haven't waited long enough for a proper response.... Wait for some other people to chime in.
$5990 is too much. I payed $5800 for my 2000 with 95K on the clock and in great shape.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/23/06 12:50 AM
Yes you can boost a stock 2.5L and see 300 wHP with good conservative tuning and a properly sized turbo. The 3L just gives you better low end torque and more overall power.
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/24/06 03:12 PM
I just sent you a PM. If you are interested I have a 3L SVT I'm building that will be for sale soon. It would be much cheaper and easier to get one with a 3L in it already than to pick that other one up with the plans to put a 3L in it.
Posted By: SHOgoFast Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/25/06 02:51 PM
Also, check out the classifieds on this site if you are interested in an SVT, the selection will be better than just about any other resource and the maintenance done by CEGers is typically wayyyy above the average owner/driver.

This was the only place I was able to find clean SVTs with the mileage and price I wanted.

Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/25/06 06:17 PM
Look for rust on the bottom of the doors...thats where I tend to find rust on tours...

but that much money for a car w/ 100K on it is rediculous, you could buy 3 cavaliers for that price...(don't know why you'd want to)

Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/25/06 08:25 PM
Quote:

you could buy 3 cavaliers for that price

I'd still buy the Contour over 3 Cavaliers....
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/25/06 09:36 PM
I would too, ...I'd pay double for one... oh wait! I already did. I spent near 10k on my 00' SVT. had about 65K on the clock at the time...lots of moolah! (this was 2 years ago of course)
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/26/06 12:53 PM
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
I would too, ...I'd pay double for one... oh wait! I already did. I spent near 10k on my 00' SVT. had about 65K on the clock at the time...lots of moolah! (this was 2 years ago of course)

That seems steep. I payed $13,800 for my 2000 in 2002. It had about 32,000 miles on it at the time. You can find them today for 3-5K if you look.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/27/06 12:26 AM
Yea, it was pretty much a unplanned buy. I was looking for cars (I was looking at a 2000 eclipse and a 2000 stratus rt) and they were both around 10k. I got a call from my cousin who is a tech at a local dealer and he told me that had a 00 csvt and he just got done doing the safety on it, so i went down there, took it for a drive and I loved it so I never really had the chance to do any homework on them. But, If I was faced with the situation again, I'd still probably do it.
Posted By: cannondalemtb Re: Questions about SVT Contour.. - 07/27/06 07:40 PM
When I bought my car about three months ago, it had 98k miles on it and it is a 98 SVT. It needed a clutch, but that was it. I ended up paying $2000 for it when he was asking $3000.
© CEG Archives