Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TRicker it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 12:38 AM
looks like i'm going to have to run a set of stock pistons if i want to run the 2.5 block. there isnt anything that is stock or higher compression and i dont want to go with the diamond racing pistons because i am shooting for a stock range of compression. i guess i have to go with stock oo' pistons unless anybody knows of anything
Posted By: COUGAR99 Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 01:07 AM
You need to provide more information on what your planning to do...

If you want stock compression go with the revised pistons.
If you want a higher compression go with SVT pistons.
You can get Diamond pistons in any compression ratio your heart desires.
Posted By: TRicker Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 01:09 AM
200 HP shot of nitrous. 2 stages, direct port (tapped into the secondary port)

stock rods, and i was hoping for forged pistons. the motor has to be able to handle approx. 350 ft/lb of trq
Posted By: cougarguy939 Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 02:18 AM
no problem with the n2o but how do you plan to put that power to the pavement?
Posted By: TRicker Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 02:22 AM
spec stage2 and quaife, broken axles and smoked tires. i'm not going for the track record here, but i wanna beat some arse on the street
Originally posted by TRicker:
spec stage2 and quaife, broken axles and smoked tires. i'm not going for the track record here, but i wanna beat some arse on the street

just wondering...why would you get a stage 2 if its made of kevlar?
Posted By: TRicker Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 02:41 AM
its supposed to last longer than the stage 3, and its not that organic crap like the stage 1.. ive heard good things from them, why what do you suggest? im going for 350 ft/lbs trq like i said
i think youve got it all mixed up.

kevlar = glazed clutch

the stage 2 consensus is no. Either get the stage 1 or stage 3.
Posted By: TRicker Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 02:51 AM
stage1=too weak for me. its not going in my car.

stage3= on/off switch. i drive toomuch i would put one in every couple months.

anybody tried a centerforce?
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 03:15 AM
A Stage 3 is not that difficult for driving around, I say go with that.

Aaron
Posted By: 99cougar Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 03:16 AM

I have put 25,xxx miles on my Stage 3, and over 25 bottles of nitrous(some of it 100/125 shot) and my stage 3 is just fine. I think you should get the stage 3...traffic is not as bad as you imagine it is. And it holds/lasts great!
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 04:52 AM
Diamond pistons are made to order. All you need to do is ASK for stock compression. I sent them OEM pistons years ago. They have the specs.

I drove a stage III clutch for over a year as a daily driver. It's not that tough. Man up and drive it!
Posted By: muntus Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 05:32 AM
If you contact a sales rep from Spec directly, they can custom build you a clutch with organic on one side and ceramic on the other, whatever you want. You'll just pay more than if you got it from Cuervo.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 12:45 PM
stage1=too weak for me. its not going in my car.

anybody tried a centerforce?

This post right here, just goes to show that you have ZERO clue. First off, who told you that the stage 1 is too weak? Show me a post where someone has maxed it out. Then tell me how many people have gone through a stage 3. While you're at it, do a search for the stage 2 clutches, and see how many people recommend it.

Oh yeah, and Centerforce....

Mark
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 12:46 PM
Drove a Spec St. 3 and it wasn't bad at all. A LOT better than the Kevlar clutch I have.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 01:39 PM
idk if spec clutches are basically the same through make/models, but the stg 2 i have on my jetta sucks.

~Andrew
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 02:50 PM
At first (first 2 hours), the SPEC Stage III felt like an on/off switch. Either I got used to it or broke it in within 3 hours, because now it's much more bearable and would work OK in city driving. Pedal pressure is only slightly harder than stock (which I think is on the soft side anyways). Only the "window" of engagement is closed smaller, thus making it feal more on/off. However, once you know where the window is open, you can easily modulate it.
Posted By: DanG Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 05:22 PM
Stage 3 for a year plus, running 366ft/lbs. It's touchy, but quite livable once you get accustom to it. It's my daily driver, loads of traffic here in DC.
Posted By: 111R Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 05:34 PM
i drove a spec III for a few miles (short trip) and the engagment was perfect. took me a few minutes to get used to it. after my short trip was over i wanted one soooo bad
yeah, the engagement does take some getting used to. Its by no means hard to drive at all though. Imho, its no firmer than stock. Ive got about 8K on mine so far. Still holding up great. Its a daily driver too.
Posted By: TRicker Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 08:32 PM
your stock pedals are soft? mine is hard as hell, and already grabs like an on/off switch. it seems to me with any harder of a grab youw ould have to milk the hell out of the clutch.

oh ya and y2ksvt, shove it up your <censored>. i dont like you.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 08:51 PM
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/17/06 09:37 PM
The CDW-27 platform has one of the softest clutches I have ever used in a car. For the record, here are all the manual cars I have driven in my lifetime:

1978 VW Wagon (my brother is a tree hugger ... No, it didn't have any Greatfull Dead stickers ... that's the only way he could find his at a dead show)
1989 Mazda Miata
1992 Subaru Loyal Station Wagon [4x4]
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2001 BMW Z3 3.0
2002 BMW M3 Convertible

And of course,

1999 Mercury Cougar
1998 SVT Contour

I have probably driven more standards that I can't remember ... point being that the clutch found in these cars is definitely on the soft side.

If your clutch feels that hard, there is either something physically wrong with you or mechanically wrong with your car.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/18/06 12:55 AM
Spec III here, driven for going on 5 months, previous owner (Tom) had it in the car MUCH MUCH longer.

It is a small window, but upon getting used to it, any other car feels like I am trying to use a freakin canoe oar to engage the transmission. LONG movements. The Spec III is by far and away the choice for me. Daily driver, used with 356ft.lbs every day. Holds like a champ, and feels great.

Oh, and TRicker, You dont have to like Y2KSVT, but you DO have to watch your language. period.
Posted By: TRicker Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/18/06 02:51 AM
i put <censored> lol what more do you want.

oh and yeah i suspect my tranny has had some work done, the gears are unusually tight for a car with 100k+ on it, both wheels lay rubber when i dump the clutch (like a LSD) and it grabs like an aftermarket clutch. the tranny has been out i believe, there are socket marks on the tranny bolts looking from underneath the car. we'll see whats in there when i pull it apart.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/18/06 03:50 AM

Don't like free, educated advice? You came to the wrong forums! But hey, it's your money, and your car, so throw as many parts at it that you can.

Mark
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/18/06 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Don't like free, educated advice? You came to the wrong forums! But hey, it's your money, and your car, so throw as many parts at it that you can.

Mark

Why Mark, you showed remarkable restraint in your reply.
I'm impressed.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/18/06 03:57 AM
Originally posted by todras:

LOL where do you get these graemlins.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: it'll probably blow up....... - 07/18/06 12:24 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Mark

Why Mark, you showed remarkable restraint in your reply.
I'm impressed.

This was the calm, and collected Mark. Now, I'm at work, where the a-hole, prick, SOB Mark comes out.

Mark
© CEG Archives