Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 99CougarNY Hours of research, so i have questions! - 07/07/06 08:37 AM
Ok i understand what everything is, but I'm having problems understanding how it shoud all be piped up. i'm going to explain how i believe everything goes, but once again after hours of research i'm still confused.

Setup:
Garret t3 setup, .63 AC/ internal wastegate, and intercooled. looking for 5-8 PSI on a stock 01 taurus 3L to be dropped into my 99 cougar.

Exhaust line:
stock manifolds to turbo. Turbo exhaust exit, as well as wastegate exhaust exit to cat and on out the exhaust pipes.

Air inlet line:
Filtered Intake Air > Turbo > Intercooler > Bypass valve > MAF > intake

Ok now the bypass vale, how is this air exactly circulated back into the air inlet? this is the one piece i am truely stumped on ... oh what i would do to be able to look at a CEG or cougar, turbo'd, in person!

thanks in advance
ya, I don't see you actually completing this swap. The 3L maybe, but not boost.

Someone will answer your questions in the coming hours, but I have to go to work.

google is your friend as this is pretty generic stuff.
Originally posted by 99CougarNY:
Ok now the bypass vale, how is this air exactly circulated back into the air inlet?

i'd recommend a hose, but magic pixie dust might work as well. DO IT!

~Andrew
Originally posted by Pimpalicious316:
Ok now the bypass vale, how is this air exactly circulated back into the air inlet?

i'd recommend a hose, but magic pixie dust might work as well. DO IT!

~Andrew

now thats what i like to see! someone a little more, motivating. except, thanks it goes by a hose, but if this pressurized air is brought back into the inlet, wouldn't the pressure force air back out of the intake side?
Posted By: Stazi Re: Hours of research, so i have questions! - 07/07/06 02:14 PM
Before you "think" you can build a turbo kit, especially in a Contour. I suggest, no, I insist you read up a LOT. If you don't know how turbo systems work, how do you think you're going to fab upa custom kit?

Do yourself, and everyone else a favor and go buy the book "maximum Boost" by Croky Bell. THEN sit down and rethink your game plan.
its in the mail =)
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Hours of research, so i have questions! - 07/07/06 07:48 PM
You're being awfully nice to the newbies lately, Stazi. Are you feeling alright?
except i've been over on the NECO forums for a good 2 years now
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: Hours of research, so i have questions! - 07/07/06 08:19 PM
Even so, I highly suggest you follow Stazi's recommendations.

But this isn't NECO . . . just in case you were confused while they migrate thier hosting . . .
Originally posted by Rara:

But this isn't NECO . . . just in case you were confused while they migrate thier hosting . . .

hehe
youve been on neco for how long and you havent seen the thread in the Forced Induction section i MADE over there telling you how to pretty much do EVERYTHING?

inst. now you know where the ideas started sparking from =) yes, and i hoping to look at your how to again, but the guy a few posts up is migrating to godaddy
well, if you want to buy my setup (or parts of it) i am selling it at this time.
Originally posted by Instigator:
well, if you want to buy my setup (or parts of it) i am selling it at this time.

What Mark? Giving up?
accident with the car, its totaled, but the entire drivetrain is still perfect. still ran perfectly after the accident. highway patrol wouldnt let me drive it home.
accident with the car, its totaled, but the entire drivetrain is still perfect. still ran perfectly after the accident. highway patrol wouldnt let me drive it home.

What! I swear, that car was cursed and knew you had the transplant in and wanted nothing to do with it.

I'm glad you are OK! Check your PM's on here ... newcougar.org will be down for awhile
Posted By: DanG Re: Hours of research, so i have questions! - 07/10/06 02:11 PM
Mark- WTF???!!! What happened?! Finally get WOT and she got away from you??? Oh, man... Words can't describe...

Real Sorry man.
when is newcougar coming back online? i have A LOT of stuff to get rid of.

You haven't thought of just saving the powertrain and picking up a used Cougar or SVT?

I'm sure if you offered the whole powertrain or actually the whole front clip to one of the Taurus guys they'd snatch it up in a heartbeat to do a conversion.

Seems to me you could take the money from the collision and pick up a used SVT/Cougar with a blown motor and just drop it in, then sell it to recoup any remaining losses.

You have the experience now so it should be very fast.
If it comes to it, the lightest car out there is the Contour GL 5spd 95-97 that has four wheel disk brakes. It wouldn't take much to throw in a rollcage and gut one of those cars out.
Originally posted by DanG:
Mark- WTF???!!! What happened?! Finally get WOT and she got away from you??? Oh, man... Words can't describe...

hit on the driver side. impact caused some wires of mine to finally get to the point where they grounded themselves on the chassis and cause a small fire. electrical wires on the driverside were destroyed, as was the fender,front bumper, hood is bent. some brake lines off of the reservoir melted as well.

the rest of the car is still perfect. hopefully ill get about 75% out of what ive put into it, seeing as all moving parts have less than 2000 miles on them.

i never thopught i would cry for my car for whatever reason. well, i did.......and alot.

its fixable, but the last time the car went down (for the wheel hubs) i said if something major happened i'm going to be done and cut my losses. im going to wait till i finish college here soon and have a real job to fuel my need for speed.
Posted By: 99cougar Re: Hours of research, so i have questions! - 07/10/06 04:34 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:

You haven't thought of just saving the powertrain and picking up a used Cougar or SVT?

For sure! Even if you have to wait to find a car that is in good shape...i would just save it. And hey...if you pick up an CSVT...then you could take the cams out of it and make more power than your curent setup would have made anyway!
thanks for the suggestions guys but i cant possibly put anymore man hours into this. over the past 1.5 years, i let this car drive a hole in between my g/f and i and it almost ended everything. i promised if another catastrophe happened id get rid of everything. she is way more important than the car.

i just want something new with a warranty.
Posted By: COUGAR99 Re: Hours of research, so i have questions! - 07/11/06 12:34 AM
Damn Mark...Sorry to hear about the car and I'm glad your alright!!!

I know we would all like to see you finally get that powertrain into something but your life has to come first.
Aw man that sucks! That was a sweet Cougar. There are always more chicks. j/k
© CEG Archives