Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tourige Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/16/06 07:27 PM
Alrighty, so ive got the Zex wet kit coming, and im starting to prep. Ive read about colder plugs, checking for vac/ compression, getting a fuel pressure guage to check fuel pressure, and getting a Tune.

My engine mods are: K&N ru-1785 intake, Trubendz Resonated Catback, Weapon R headers and Y-pipe, Magnecore 8.5mm wires, and new plugs..

The car will be getting tuned on a diablo chip with a predator tune.

Im thinking of running a 75 Shot, my car has 128K KILOMETERS, Its been well kept by me, the engine runs fine too.

Ive read and been told that stock plugs are fine, ive got BRAND NEW APP764's in there right now, im thinking my tuner might know what's best.

Just looking for some insight, if anyone has anything else they want to throw out there that would rule. Thanks!
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/16/06 07:58 PM
put it on the dyno with a wideband to make sure you arent running lean even with your tune.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/16/06 08:05 PM
first get rid of the double plats. Personally, I think with that size shot you'll be fine with the stock heat range plugs. Just ensure that the gap is closed up. I ran stock heat range plugs when I had the bottom with no issues with about a 70hp wet shot....
Posted By: JustStock Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/17/06 07:57 PM
i would go 2 steps colder " if 75 shot" on the plugs ngk makes them there great "i'll get the number" get a fuel pressure switch instead of a fuel presure gauge. it wont alow the nitrous to go on if fuel presure is to low, get a window switch to make sure you don't spray before 3200rpm,

the reson for the plugs is i recently had to pull my new oem plugs becaude it melted the electrode's, i have a nx wet kit and they even said go 2 steps colder, get a bottle heater and nitrous tank guage, get a purge kit

Bottle heater and purge kit here

Fuel presure switch here

Window switch here

anymore questions pm me or post it..
Posted By: Judge_dup1 Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/17/06 10:33 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
put it on the dyno with a wideband to make sure you arent running lean even with your tune.

Screw the dyno...after the tune run the car on the street with wideband to make sure it does not lean out in real life situations.....
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/18/06 04:36 PM
NGK TR6s are a setp colder and will work excellent with nitrous.
Standard autolite plugs work too.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/19/06 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Judge:
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:

Screw the dyno...after the tune run the car on the street with wideband to make sure it does not lean out in real life situations.....

yea, ill be using a Road tune. My tuner said he can tune it with a flip chip style tune, he's also going to tune the car so it runs better so im happy.

Anyone ever had any experience with a dirct port nitrous injection? any benefits (and yes, i know what direct port is. I doubt it will clear our hoods tho)

Alrighty, now all i need is an A-piller Guage pod.
Posted By: ConcepTrs913 Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/19/06 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Tourige:

Alrighty, now all i need is an A-piller Guage pod.

Check out the classifieds, I think someone is selling one.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/19/06 03:33 PM
any idea on what guages to get? Im thinking A/F and possibly oil pressure.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/19/06 03:48 PM

I'd pass on the A/F gauge(although I have one). I'd get a wideband with a digital reading, so you know your exact AFR.

Mark
Posted By: Tourige Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/19/06 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

I'd pass on the A/F gauge(although I have one). I'd get a wideband with a digital reading, so you know your exact AFR.

Mark

Unless the wideband is for the tuning (my tuner has a wideband that he uses while tuning) basically all i want the A/F for is to know if im running lean, and that i know its a BAD idea to spray. If the Normal A/F isnt good enough for this then i dunno..
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/19/06 05:30 PM

Mark

Unless the wideband is for the tuning (my tuner has a wideband that he uses while tuning) basically all i want the A/F for is to know if im running lean, and that i know its a BAD idea to spray. If the Normal A/F isnt good enough for this then i dunno..

That was the same thought process I had when I was going that direction. IF you do go the A/F route, make sure to get it calibrated by the dood who does the calibration, I'm having a brain fart right now and can't remember the name of the guy. Otherwise, its just an annoying light show.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/19/06 05:47 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Mark

That was the same thought process I had when I was going that direction. IF you do go the A/F route, make sure to get it calibrated by the dood who does the calibration, I'm having a brain fart right now and can't remember the name of the guy. Otherwise, its just an annoying light show.

Can my tuner calibrate it?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/19/06 05:52 PM

Mark

I doubt it. I believe the website is www.gadgetseller.com
Posted By: Stazi Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/19/06 06:09 PM

Mark

I doubt it. I believe the website is www.gadgetseller.com

Yep, by it from this guy.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Some more Nitrous Questions. - 06/20/06 01:44 AM
Just by the standalone wideband with gauge from innovate motorsports.

It is basically and LC-1 with a nice white on black or black on white digital gauge that will fit in a 60mm gauge slot. Like a conversion on the coin tray.
It works awesome.
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: Some more Nitrous Questions - 06/20/06 03:09 PM
I bent my wookie
Posted By: Matty K Re: Some more Nitrous Questions - 06/25/06 06:16 PM
While we're discussing tuning, is it possible to have a "performance" tune that's still safe for nitrous? Or would that type of tune start leaning out the car?

Also, I have the ProFlow MAF; can this stay, or is this going to make tuning the car more difficult?

One last one; I have an SCT XCAL2; can anyone recommend a web-based tuner (a la Brenspeed, ADC, or wait, no, I got it...... Hypnotic Illusions, right?!)?

Thanks guys!

Edit: The full NGK part number is 739-TR6, correct?
Posted By: TRicker Re: Some more Nitrous Questions - 06/25/06 07:42 PM
TR6's at 1 step colder is what i go with. make sure you have a good set of plug wires. dont use any v type electrodes, or platinum etc. just standard copper core. i use a MSD ignition because it has a step retard with step off delay. which means my car isnt a dog with retarded timing when im off the nitrous, and i dont have to worry about a flip switch tune. you need a bottle heater, and a purge. pressure guage is a must. i run a fuel pressure guage instead of a safety switch but i would suggest the safety switch, get the one set at 30 psi.
© CEG Archives