Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: stilov Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/08/06 10:00 PM
I know what they are and what they do...but what makes one "good".
We know about turbos and balancing and construction, and wastegates and the seals etc, but Blow valves? What's the deal...why do some handle more boost than others?
Posted By: Barge Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/08/06 10:13 PM
It's mostly due to design... the good ones that can handle lots of boost have properly designed valving inside so that the boost pressure is acting on a much bigger area then the manifold pressure. That way the BOV can never blow open. You'll notice that lots of the common cheap ones that people complain about do not do this.

And then there are material differences.

Look at the price of a good Tial BOV compared to some of the junk people run...
Posted By: ConcepTrs913 Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 03:35 AM
how about diverter valves and blowoffs?

what are the pros/cons of both?
Posted By: DanG Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 12:34 PM
What is considered "junk", though? I have had a very good experience with the TurboXS RFL. It took a few tries to get the washers set up right for the correct spring pressure, but it's a "set it and forget it" kind of thing. The only thing I don't really like is that it's a blow-off to atmosphere type. I don't like the thought of all that metered air blown off into space, but it's for such a short time... :shrug:
Posted By: Tourige Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 02:29 PM
What do most contour people use? Ive heard nothing but rave reviews about the HKS SSQV

Im not familiar with the exact turbo setup so i dont know if the BOV is before or after the MAF, so what do people run VTA or Recirc?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 04:58 PM
For the amount of boost any Contour would run.....just about any BOV would work within its effieciency range. A lot fo BOVs start to fail once you run more boost.

I have past experience with HKS and Greddy, both seem to be really good VTA and are adjustable. Both handle up to 22-25 psi.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 05:15 PM
Originally posted by DanG:
What is considered "junk", though? I have had a very good experience with the TurboXS RFL. It took a few tries to get the washers set up right for the correct spring pressure, but it's a "set it and forget it" kind of thing. The only thing I don't really like is that it's a blow-off to atmosphere type. I don't like the thought of all that metered air blown off into space, but it's for such a short time... :shrug:

Hey, the Type RFL can be converted into a bypass valve with an adapter. Just unscrew the bellmouth that is on the side and screw in a piece of pipe and then plumb the hose back into the intake at the inlet to the turbo. Then you have a good quality bypass valve.

Otherwise the type RFL works great.

Posted By: Barge Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 05:22 PM
Some of the better BOV's are the ones that come from the factory.. the subaru one is actually pretty good but the flange on it is retarded.

I've read good things about the HKS SSQV in that it meets the design standards i said above.

Many people here have had good experiences with the TurboXS's but most people who are running lots of boost have lots of problems with them because from what I recall.. and don't quote me on this... but they don't meet the design I noted above.

BOV vs. BPV (or diverter valve I guess)

BOV = dump to atmosphere
BPV = dump to post-MAF/pre-Turbo

For a MAF system you "should" have a BPV. The whole metered air thing and all that jazz. Now technically the BOV would only be open when you're under vacuum such as when you let off the throttle and there's a big pressure differential so you only really get rich conditions between shifts and dropping out of WOT (some people like it for the flame shooting effect). Lots of people get away with BOV but it's technically not the correct way to do it.

This is all with a draw-through system... if you're go blow through i think most of them put the BOV before the MAF and they can use a BOV just fine. Seems like that would cause some reversion through the MAF but what do I know.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 05:32 PM
Originally posted by WRX Barge:
Some of the better BOV's are the ones that come from the factory.. the subaru one is actually pretty good but the flange on it is retarded.

Except the Stock BOV on the WRX and STI's lose boost cause they are crappy pieces of plastic. Same with the Speed6, Thats why most change over, to hold the boost past 5500rpm's where the stocker tends to leak.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

Except the Stock BOV on the WRX and STI's lose boost cause they are crappy pieces of plastic. Same with the Speed6, Thats why most change over, to hold the boost past 5500rpm's where the stocker tends to leak.

Do you know who your talking to?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Decepticon:

Do you know who your talking to?

yea, and i know he knows his [censored], i just think the stock BOV's suck cause they leak boost at High RPM's
Posted By: Judge_dup1 Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 07:19 PM

dude...last I checked....ours are cast aluminum......(WRX)....
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Judge:

LOL thats what i was getting at!
Posted By: Barge Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 07:32 PM

and with a simple mod are known to handle 25psi +... mine seems to be doing all right at 21... but i still plan on doing the mod.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 08:22 PM

Which one is Plastic then? I know one of them is.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 08:26 PM

Tourige...this is another forum you need to be banned from.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 08:35 PM
Volvo and Audi/VW are plastic Bosch models.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 08:36 PM
Back on Topic.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 08:53 PM
Originally posted by MapOfTazi ohhh right:

Tourige...this is another forum you need to be banned from.

Why, cause ive been mis informed, sorry not everyone in the Car world is as smart as you.. frig..

I'm not...idk [censored] about BOVs. All I know is that I own a bosch(maybe) BPV and it cost me 150$

I try to stay away from things I know little about or have 2nd hand questionable information.

If it isn't from first hand experience well then you run the risk of looking like an
Posted By: gotapex Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 08:59 PM
The HKS Racing Bypass works well. It can be used either free to air, or plumbed back to the intake.

Unit + flange:

As Blowoff:

As Bypass:

and with a simple mod are known to handle 25psi +... mine seems to be doing all right at 21... but i still plan on doing the mod.

Please let me in on this mod...I'm just getting into this and am looking to learn more about the Scoobies. PM me if you can
Posted By: Tourige Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 09:54 PM
anyone know if the HKS SSQV will bolt to the ADC kit? Or if you need an adapter plate.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 10:07 PM
Originally posted by timeless420:

Please let me in on this mod...I'm just getting into this and am looking to learn more about the Scoobies. PM me if you can

It's probably just replacing the spring or loading in some commonly found washers for dirt cheap!
Posted By: tsSVT Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 11:18 PM
This is pure speculation on my part.Wouldn't the temporary rich condition actually be a good thing?i.e. causing a small drop in EGT.
Posted By: Barge Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 11:27 PM
Originally posted by tsSVT:
This is pure speculation on my part.Wouldn't the temporary rich condition actually be a good thing?i.e. causing a small drop in EGT.

Depends... a temporary rich could also cause a spike in EGT... hence the whole premise of the Bang-bang anti-lag system... too much unburnt fuel in a really hot exhaust manifold..well.. goes bang.

EGT's are influenced by so many things you have to be careful... you can have high EGT from too much timing, too little timing.. and as I said above even too much fuel could cause spikes and explosions in the exhaust manifold (especially for turbo cars which this centers on since it's about BOV's)

Also note that a drop in EGT's reducing exhaust temps reduced exhaust velocity which in turn reduces the amount of energy to spin the turbine on a turbocharger which means more lag (OK.. it's not necessarily lag but i'm using the term anyway so :-P on you). This is one of the reasons on a turbocharged car you want to preserve as much exhaust heat as you can until it's done doing its job.
Posted By: Barge Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/09/06 11:30 PM
Originally posted by timeless420:

There is a lot of info on this on NASIOC. I can't remember what good search terms will bring it up though. The stock BPV on the WRX has a small bleed orifice.. and if I remember where it bled to where I would say but I don't want to mispeak. However you can block this orifice with a small setscrew and I believe drill a new one to atmosphere and there ya go. Search on NASIOC for cheap BPV mods and you'll probably find it.

It's like a 10 minute job.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/10/06 12:00 AM
Evo is the car with the crappy stock PLASTIC BPV.

So I replaced it with this....

Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/10/06 01:11 AM
Ahhh!!! A bling-bling chrome EGR.. gotcha!

Posted By: tsSVT Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/10/06 01:13 AM
Originally posted by tsSVT:

Depends... a temporary rich could also cause a spike in EGT... hence the whole premise of the Bang-bang anti-lag system... too much unburnt fuel in a really hot exhaust manifold..well.. goes bang.

EGT's are influenced by so many things you have to be careful... you can have high EGT from too much timing, too little timing.. and as I said above even too much fuel could cause spikes and explosions in the exhaust manifold (especially for turbo cars which this centers on since it's about BOV's)

Also note that a drop in EGT's reducing exhaust temps reduced exhaust velocity which in turn reduces the amount of energy to spin the turbine on a turbocharger which means more lag (OK.. it's not necessarily lag but i'm using the term anyway so :-P on you). This is one of the reasons on a turbocharged car you want to preserve as much exhaust heat as you can until it's done doing its job.

"I see" said the blind man.Arich condition can be a pro or con,I guess it would safest to avoid the possible complications.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Let's talk about Blow off valves - 06/10/06 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Ray:
Ahhh!!! A bling-bling chrome EGR.. gotcha!

EGR woot!
© CEG Archives