Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: CSVT#49 My new turbo - 04/26/06 04:51 PM
Well I picked up a turbo from work. It was defective on the line because it was leaking oil. They scrapped it and I got it for free. I figure I can tear into it an figure out what caused the leak and then fix it. I'm guessing theres a seal somewhere that wasn't placed correctly during the assmebly process. Anyhow it seems a bit large for my 2.5L CSVT engine to be pushing it, so it may end up on my Camaro's 358. Assuming I can fix it. Anyhow take a look and toss out your opinions. It's a Caterpillar Perkins turbo, P/N 2674A348, it came from a 6 cylinder diesel. For the moment thats all I know about it.

Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: My new turbo - 04/26/06 07:24 PM
You'll have to read the trims sizes stamped in the housings.
Or research the caterpillar engines and see what turbos are used on them to size it.
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: My new turbo - 04/26/06 10:52 PM
I took it apart to see what was going on. It appears oil had seaped out through the connection in the middle. I'll let pictures do the talking (to be posted later). Where are these stampings and what should I be looking for?
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: My new turbo - 04/27/06 12:12 AM
Pics of the insides...

Note the three marks.

Now in this next picture I'm not quite sure what this is. There are a total of three of these little gaps (they made the marks in the previous picture), which are evenly spaced. Just because of that it makes me believe they are there for a reason, but at the same time there is oil leaking from the same area so I don't know. I know the picture is a little blurry, sorry.

Posted By: Stazi Re: My new turbo - 04/27/06 12:12 PM
A turbo that blows oil.......hmmm, you may want to read the post called "Crap" - an faulty turbo is NOT exactly the best basis from which to build a turbo-kit. (Nor is a honking HUGE turbr from a monster deisel, for that matter)
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: My new turbo - 04/27/06 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Stazi:
an faulty turbo is NOT exactly the best basis from which to build a turbo-kit.

Stazi it was FREE. If I can fix it for under $75 it's worth it.

Nor is a honking HUGE turbr from a monster deisel, for that matter

Well maybe not on a Contour, but if you read this:

Originally posted by CSVT#49:
Anyhow it seems a bit large for my 2.5L CSVT engine to be pushing it, so it may end up on my Camaro's 358.

I'm pretty sure my Camaro's engine can push it.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: My new turbo - 04/27/06 06:52 PM
I realize you probably work there, but among the trucking industry, Caterpillar engines have the reputation for being giant boat anchors. I wouldn't trust it.
Posted By: Stazi Re: My new turbo - 04/27/06 07:40 PM
And I doubt the displacement of your Camaro is even HALF the displacement of the CAT engine this came off of.
Posted By: 99cougar Re: My new turbo - 04/27/06 07:44 PM
And I doubt the displacement of your Camaro is even HALF the displacement of the CAT engine this came off of.

but i bet it would FLY down the second half of the 1/4!
Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: My new turbo - 04/28/06 01:27 AM
its a pretty cool yellow paper weight
Posted By: stilov Re: My new turbo - 04/28/06 01:58 AM

an faulty turbo is NOT exactly the best basis from which to build a turbo-kit.

Stazi it was FREE. If I can fix it for under $75 it's worth it.

Well I could crap in your hand for free...would you use that too?
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: My new turbo - 04/28/06 02:21 AM

Well last time I checked 7.2L (straight six) divided by 2 was a lot less then 5.8L. But what do I know I'm just engineer, hell I barely know how to do serious math let alone basic arithmetic.

Seriously though these are the kind of responses I'm looking for... well minus all the smartass comments, but how it would work as a setup. So thanks.

Originally posted by csvtjohnga :
its a pretty cool yellow paper weight

Yea it looks pretty sweet sitting on my work bench. If I don't end up using it you can bet it will be sitting pretty on my office desk.
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: My new turbo - 04/28/06 04:09 AM
It is really (REALLY) yellow. The Honda guys claim that anything in yellow is good for 5-15 additional ponies.
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: My new turbo - 04/28/06 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Rev. Po-Jay:
It is really (REALLY) yellow. The Honda guys claim that anything in yellow is good for 5-15 additional ponies.

It's a nice conversation piece/desk ornament. Nothing wrong with that.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: My new turbo - 04/28/06 03:40 PM
www.turbomustangs.com They can probably tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=45148.0 Something interesting. ARRRGH!!!
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: My new turbo - 04/28/06 06:05 PM
Originally posted by BloodyTomFlint:
http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=45148.0 Something interesting. ARRRGH!!!

Man thanks thats some seriously interesting info. I might have to try that when I start fabbing exhaust for my Camaro.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: My new turbo - 04/28/06 07:15 PM
Originally posted by BloodyTomFlint:

Man thanks thats some seriously interesting info. I might have to try that when I start fabbing exhaust for my Camaro.

Not a problem. Make sure you take pics of the build. ARRRGH!!
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: My new turbo - 04/28/06 07:16 PM
"Iss decurashun, dass all jus decurashon"
-Lil Sis
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: My new turbo - 04/29/06 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Tourgasm:

Eat decurashun, that all just decurashon?

Or

It's just for decurashon, that's it and that's all?

So what the hell does decurashun mean?
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: My new turbo - 04/29/06 11:06 AM

Or

decoration

~Andrew
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: My new turbo - 05/01/06 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Princess Tong Po:

Or

decoration

~Andrew

WooWoo~
Posted By: batteredSVT Re: My new turbo - 05/02/06 02:36 AM
Are you sure that thing couldn't be re geared for better power/rpm match up. Last I checked those diesels were made for low rpm matchup well at least on the duramax diesel it is. I am not sure about the exhaust pressure relation is between gas and diesels are. I.e. do diesels flow the same amount of air at lower rpm as a gas motor?
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: My new turbo - 05/02/06 02:42 AM
Originally posted by batteredSVT:
I.e. do diesels flow the same amount of air at lower rpm as a gas motor?

i would guess they would flow more cfm since they are larger displacement engines.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: My new turbo - 05/02/06 02:42 AM
Originally posted by batteredSVT:
I.e. do diesels flow the same amount of air at lower rpm as a gas motor?

i would guess they would flow more cfm since they are larger displacement engines.
Posted By: batteredSVT Re: My new turbo - 05/02/06 03:14 AM
that was my thought exactly. Seriously guys, read that thread directed to turbomustangs.com. The idea is ingenious. I love the idea of simply halving the a/r. Bigger housings for more fun. This could be the biggest gains in forced induction with a little R&D from people with the money talent and experience in this stuff. The idea of having a control valve on the blocked inlet to continually gain power and relieve back pressure is phenominal. I'd say go all out technical on this and get a computer driven module that would allow you to make adjustments on the fly to the valve for different conditions and different needs (i.e. who you're gonna smoke some honda or a viper) Go for it man and post some results. I am all into this one.
Posted By: stilov Re: My new turbo - 05/02/06 03:32 AM
How about one of those cutout controls? Of course you'd have to make it to withstand extreme heat...???
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: My new turbo - 05/02/06 12:59 PM
Originally posted by stilov:
How about one of those cutout controls? Of course you'd have to make it to withstand extreme heat...???

It is all discussed in the thread I linked to. None of those cutout things can withstand 1200 degree exhaust gas temperatures. Someone will have to try something else.
Posted By: SvtEdwardo420 Re: My new turbo - 05/02/06 03:54 PM
i think the turbo will work, is it exactly what you want for your tour , no . with as much air as a diesel flows, it might be a little sluggish during acceleration, that isnt really big turbo for a CAT so itll be better than a 12l one. make is a VG turbo look how durmax and international is doing it
Posted By: SvtEdwardo420 Re: My new turbo - 05/02/06 04:16 PM
i do have a turbo program that i got from my diesel teacher a couple sessions ago ill try and get it uploaded
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: My new turbo - 05/02/06 04:28 PM
Originally posted by SvtEdwardo420:
i think the turbo will work, is it exactly what you want for your tour , no . with as much air as a diesel flows, it might be a little sluggish during acceleration, that isnt really big turbo for a CAT so itll be better than a 12l one. make is a VG turbo look how durmax and international is doing it

That turbo will be WAY too big for the Contour. He is thinking about putting it on his Camaro.
Posted By: SvtEdwardo420 Re: My new turbo - 05/02/06 04:35 PM
yea i read that i was just talking about the contour. the camaro will be fine with it i think , when i get that program on here i belive it will be a big hit
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: My new turbo - 05/02/06 05:22 PM
Cool, I would like to see it. ARRRGH!!
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: My new turbo - 05/03/06 01:33 AM
Awesome. Can't wait to see the results.

I just wish there was a way to figure out what the trim is. My brother came by and was trying to tell me it looked like a T3/T4.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: My new turbo - 05/03/06 02:22 AM
You won't know ANYTHING until he checks the trim sizes and finds the map. It MAY or MAY NOT work.
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: My new turbo - 05/05/06 05:54 PM
I found some more information about the engine this came off of. It's a lot smaller then I though it was, only 5.98L.

4-stroke 6 cylinder electronic turbocharged Diesel

Ratings
Gross Power @ 2200RPM 150Hp

Dimensions
Bore 3.94"
Stroke 5"
Displacment 5.98L, 365 cu. in.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: My new turbo - 05/06/06 03:10 PM
what is the that the engine made max torque at? And the boost pressure at that max torque rating?

If you get that then we can calculate max airflow at the most efficient point and then see what that would translate to on another engine.
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: My new turbo - 05/08/06 08:56 PM
Engine
Gross Power 150 hp / 112 kW
Engine Model Cat�® 3056E ATAAC
Net Power - EEC 80/1269 143 hp / 107 kW
Net Power - ISO 9249 143 hp / 107 kW
Net Power - SAEJ1349 142 hp / 106 kW
Bore 3.94 in / 100 mm
Stroke 5 in / 127 mm

Here is what I could get from he Caterpillar website to share with you guys.

I'm still looking for boost data, but I doubt I'll find it.

Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: My new turbo - 05/09/06 03:17 AM
Well, from looking at the figures I'm thinking that unless this turbo is running 1.5 bar or more boost, then it wouldn't be worth your time. This is assuming the turbo is sized efficiently to the tractor engines size and desired rpm range.

So lets think it through:
It maxes out at 2200 rpm with max torque attained at 1400 rpm. It is a four stroke engine so you take displacement times half the rpm range and find out that the engine moves around 240 cfm of air at normal atmospheric pressure. It is hard to determine how much of the torque curve sloping off is due to the engine design and the massive rotating assembly and how much is from turbo efficiency range. I'd guess the former.
But anyway, back to the calculations.

240 cfm at 0psi boost. Lets assume the tractor is running 20psi boost, that is a pressure ratio of 2.36 or 1.36 bar above atmospheric.
2.36x240cfm = 566cfm

This is about the cfm I was using to push about 320 wHP on my car.

So until you get the boost pressure the turbo is run at, you won't know. You don't have a map so what I am doing here is a qualitative comparison of exhaust and intake flow volume of two different engines.....because the turbo doesn't car how many cylinders or the rpm range, it only is relevant based upon how much exhaust is flowing through the turbine, and the compressor is only concerned with the pressure and volume flow of the intake.
Or look at it this way:
A 6 liter diesel engine (2x larger than the 3L engine) operating at 2200 rpm max(1/3 the rpm range of the 3L engine) will move about 2/3 the airflow that a normal 3L engine would at max rpm, comparatively speaking. So unless the turbo is sized with for significantly higher pressures on the diesel than those that you will use on the 3L, or the 5.7L, then you are wasting your time.
Incidentally, your 5.7L engine will push about 450 cfm at max rpm and 80% VE. The 3L will push about 300 cfm at about 90%VE.
So when you find out the boost level of the CAT engine, then use this explanation and the math to see if the turbo would support one of the above engines....and if the boost is it used at is high enough then you have a good shot of it working fine.
© CEG Archives