Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 06:42 AM
I picked up a harness for another car from a guy tonight that runs a shop called forecedfab out of dayton oh. He bought the shop from the previous owner that I believe caused some trouble but is now working on a contour kit absed off a similar design as adc with hopefully a lower price. he has a guy's svt there he's working with and this should be getting interesting. He's got roughly 15 different turbo cars with custom setups, IS300, mustang 4.6 and 5.0, dodges, nissans and so on. The guy does quality work and also was highly respectful of the fit and finish of the adc kit. Keep your ear open in the future and there should be another turbo kit floating around.
Forcedfab
Posted By: Stazi Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 01:41 PM
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 01:45 PM
Heh, that's SVT Prodigy's car in their shop.
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 02:22 PM
looked nice...just dusty
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:

my thoughts exactly. Were all still waiting for that FMIC setup.
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 03:48 PM
Originally posted by 2.3Turbochicken:
looked nice...just dusty

lol thanks....

Yeah that IS300 is baddazz...
I was looking under the hood of my sc300 once i saw that..
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 04:01 PM
As long as somebody makes one that will fit an ATX...
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 04:01 PM
So whats up with your car then man? I havent seen or heard anything about it since last SZ at the corvette museum...
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 04:03 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

That is what ADC is currently working on. The donor car is an ATX cougar.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 05:21 PM
sweeeet!
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 05:29 PM
Make it cheap :-D not that I can afford it either way but still!
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
Make it cheap

No. Make it high quality as usual, but inexpensive.

Just havin' a little fun with ya, man.
Posted By: Tourige Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 07:08 PM

so you can go ahead and break the slushbox...
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

The CD4E is not ideal for a performance tranny, but YOU and many others underestimate the automatic. Early versions had their problems, but the latest units are much more durable. There are also a few items to help longevity (like adding a cooler) and a few minor mods that will make it into a very robust transmission.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 07:25 PM
I'll see what I can do about releasing some information on it.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Keyser:
I'll see what I can do about releasing some information on it.

Thanks Keyser!
Posted By: Stazi Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 08:40 PM

Let the turd-polishing begin!
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Pudmunkie:
Make it cheap

No. Make it high quality as usual, but inexpensive.

Just havin' a little fun with ya, man.

Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 09:47 PM

Let the turd-polishing begin!

Well, we will find out on the donor car soon enough. I'm sure Keith will dyno the tires off like he did on my car. I had approximently 1200 dyno runs on that SVT before I sold it. 1000 were on the stock engine and 200 on the built.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 10:45 PM
Chris, is the $5500 and $6000 original ADC turbo kits done for good or would ADC be willing to make these if someone wants to purchase the higher quality kit for big hp numbers?

Im thinking way into the future here, but Im thinking of starting another project car in a few years (hopefully adc is still around) and id like to get the higher quality kit.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: New turbo kit info - 03/10/06 11:08 PM
Jim -you will have to talk to ADC about that. My gut feeling is no. However the new design will be very upgradable.
Posted By: Swazo Re: New turbo kit info - 03/11/06 06:42 AM
If the CD4E could be beefed up well enough to take 300HP/TQ with a high stall conveter, it'd make for a super fun DD in FI form IMO
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: New turbo kit info - 03/11/06 04:32 PM
Originally posted by TC'd Swazo:
If the CD4E could be beefed up well enough to take 300HP/TQ with a high stall conveter, it'd make for a super fun DD in FI form IMO

I dunno if it'll take that kind of pounding at the wheels. I may find out...
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/11/06 07:49 PM
It should be okay with a modest turbo on a 2.5L. THe torque isn't as sudden as like nitrous or even a tough 3L. With a little progressive increase in torque it will preserve most of the components.
The only concern on an ATX with higher torque loads that I would be concerned with is premature clutch pack wear. This can be reduced by installing a shift kit that allows the clutches to engage faster, reducing the slip time but makes the shift not as smooth. That of course increases the shock on the gearsets but anyways a good balance can be achieved.
So I think with just a decent shift kit the atx will hold up well enough to a 230-240 at the wheels.
No need to change the stall rate on the converter either.
Posted By: Stazi Re: New turbo kit info - 03/12/06 12:17 AM
But the biggest issue is not having a decent diff available for the CD4E
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/12/06 02:18 AM
if we can expect this kind of work then Im sure not many will be interested:

Way to route a cold side IC pipe right back next to the white hot turbine housing . . .
Posted By: stilov Re: New turbo kit info - 03/12/06 02:22 AM
hey...you don't want it to get too cold right???
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/12/06 02:49 AM
I think they just need to get their tune . . .
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/12/06 04:49 AM
Yeah, not preferable but you can use a turbo blanket and heat wrap to minimize the effects.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: New turbo kit info - 03/12/06 05:08 AM
But the biggest issue is not having a decent diff available for the CD4E

I, for one, don't plan on spinning the tires off. This is simply a project for me to add more enjoyment to my ride. The fun factor will certainly take a sharp up-turn!
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken Re: New turbo kit info - 03/12/06 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Horse:

Way to route a cold side IC pipe right back next to the white hot turbine housing . . .

its all about cramming it in an engine bay.. do you think the adc kit didnt have the turbo right under the intercooler and 6 inches from the throttle body....like someone else said theres ways around it.
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/12/06 04:08 PM
"cramming" in a fox body? yeah - thats like trying to cram a dodge viper in an oil tanker.

PLENTY of room to not have to do that
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 12:46 AM

this is from proturbo kits.. ic piping right next to the turbo show a pic of a better setup..

forced fab kit below
Posted By: stilov Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 01:00 AM
how about this one???

or this (same set-up)

the engine/setup is just shy of 24k makes 1000hp and runs mid 9's to high 8's...hmmmm.....
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 01:13 AM
the exhaust pipe from the turbine is still hot and its going past the intercooler piping but obviously not as hot as a turbo right next to it. the set up is nice and very expensive.
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 04:39 AM

man...Horse look at all that engine bay space. they shoulda twin turboed and then supercharged it...screw every having to work on it... theres plenty of space in there. forgive me I was mistaken I've never seen a 5.0 in a mustang before.....
Posted By: Tourige Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 04:52 AM
i want a turbo
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 06:43 AM

man...Horse look at all that engine bay space. they shoulda twin turboed and then supercharged it...screw every having to work on it... theres plenty of space in there. forgive me I was mistaken I've never seen a 5.0 in a mustang before.....

thats a different setup than the one I posted for one. Second I never said you hadnt seen a 5.OH - who hasnt??

I just said that it was not a very well designed system. And for the record - Im no turbo designer either, but I know a bit about that kind of stuff.
Posted By: 111R Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 06:50 AM
i want a turbo

Posted By: svtProdigy Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 07:04 AM

thats a different setup than the one I posted for one. Second I never said you hadnt seen a 5.OH - who hasnt??

I just said that it was not a very well designed system. And for the record - Im no turbo designer either, but I know a bit about that kind of stuff.

THAT NOT EVERN FORCED FABS SET UP BUT ITS MADE FROM ANOTHER SHOP AND ITS SIMULAR.
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 02:19 PM
maybe I confused you I wasnt saying I fab turbos for a living either but when you get headers, cross pipes, intercooler pipes, air intake pipes, filters, and oil feed/drains it gets a little crowded. is it better than a 4.6..yes but theres by no means a whole boat load of space thats why half the turbo sits in the fender well. wasnt trying to be a dick, sheesh.
Posted By: Barge Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 02:24 PM
Originally posted by svtProdigy:
THAT NOT EVERN FORCED FABS SET UP BUT ITS MADE FROM ANOTHER SHOP AND ITS SIMULAR.

Seriously.. I think you need to slow down when you type... and lay off the caps lock.. nobody likes a screamer.
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 08:48 PM
Originally posted by MeCutHairLongTime:
nobody likes a screamer.

speak for yourself I like em to be noisey....
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 10:58 PM
Originally posted by MeCutHairLongTime:
nobody likes a screamer.

speak for yourself I like em to be noisey....

left the caps on sorry...was typing from the blackberry
Posted By: Forcedfab_Jon Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 11:30 PM
In our Defense, that FMIC routing is not how we actually route the piping , that was setup due to the display space we had to work with at PRI. our current FMIC routing routes the piping well away from the turbine housing. we also ceramic coat all hotparts including the turbine housing with our kits. there have been several revisions on our fox body kits.

Jon

Posted By: Forcedfab_Jon Re: New turbo kit info - 03/13/06 11:48 PM

This Kit was built in house by a former employee, it was his roomates car. the kit was a special one off design, its built the way it is because the owner did not want to have the car cut up what so ever. the car is a 93 Cobra and its in cherry condition with under 40K on it. we custom fabbed the accessory brackets using a Vortec super charger bracker plate so we could mount the turbo where a super charger would normally sit. the fmic piping does run close to the turbine housing and the down pipe. the orginial down pipe and waste gate placement was different but after getting the stuff back from ceramic coating he had failed to test fit everything with the new custom valve covers he had for the motor, they didn't fit and a second downpipe was fabbed with a few changes. tthe car made over 457 with in the first few mins of tuning, but we ran out of fuel due to a previous owner not having installed a 255 but telling the present owner that it was in there. the second day at the dyno it blew the headgaskest we knew it was coming as it is a turbo mustang.

every Foxbody turbo kit we have sold has made 450+ RWHP on the dyno. our kits make the power and our fitment has been praised, we still need to work on is our delivery times, and we are working on it.
i never claim to be the best or know everything, i am always open for ideas

Jon
Posted By: Pope Re: New turbo kit info - 03/14/06 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Forcedfab_Jon:
In our Defense, that FMIC routing is not how we actually route the piping , that was setup due to the display space we had to work with at PRI. our current FMIC routing routes the piping well away from the turbine housing. we also ceramic coat all hotparts including the turbine housing with our kits. there have been several revisions on our fox body kits.

Jon

Out of curiosity, why not flip the intake and make it a rather straight shot out of the FMIC into the intake on the driver's side instead.
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: New turbo kit info - 03/14/06 01:27 AM
can you do that with the maanifold? because that sounds like an awesome idea.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: New turbo kit info - 03/14/06 01:42 AM
There would be other plumbing, wiring, & throttle cable concerns, but I suppose it could be done... I wouldn't want to be the one to do it.
Posted By: Horse_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/14/06 03:46 AM

Jon

good, nice to hear it from the source. Thanks for posting, I totally understand about the display version. I hope your business does well - I never wish people who do this type of thing bad becuase its hard enough to do it as is.

Good Luck! I hope you keep the good stuff coming.
Posted By: Swazo Re: New turbo kit info - 03/14/06 07:35 AM

This Kit was built in house by a former employee, it was his roomates car. the kit was a special one off design, its built the way it is because the owner did not want to have the car cut up what so ever. the car is a 93 Cobra and its in cherry condition with under 40K on it. we custom fabbed the accessory brackets using a Vortec super charger bracker plate so we could mount the turbo where a super charger would normally sit. the fmic piping does run close to the turbine housing and the down pipe. the orginial down pipe and waste gate placement was different but after getting the stuff back from ceramic coating he had failed to test fit everything with the new custom valve covers he had for the motor, they didn't fit and a second downpipe was fabbed with a few changes. tthe car made over 457 with in the first few mins of tuning, but we ran out of fuel due to a previous owner not having installed a 255 but telling the present owner that it was in there. the second day at the dyno it blew the headgaskest we knew it was coming as it is a turbo mustang.

every Foxbody turbo kit we have sold has made 450+ RWHP on the dyno. our kits make the power and our fitment has been praised, we still need to work on is our delivery times, and we are working on it.
i never claim to be the best or know everything, i am always open for ideas

Jon

What CR's are you seeing 450 at? Stock internals??? What tuning have you been using?

I'm looking at 92 - 95 'vert for a summer car to play with, and to put the CSVT-T as a winter FWD terror
Posted By: Forcedfab_Jon Re: New turbo kit info - 03/14/06 04:04 PM
most of the mustangs are stock motors some had heads,but most are stock CR running between 7-12 PSI. majority of people have been tuning with SuperChips
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: New turbo kit info - 03/15/06 05:03 PM
Anything yet?
Posted By: Pope Re: New turbo kit info - 03/16/06 01:48 AM
Originally posted by svtProdigy:
can you do that with the maanifold? because that sounds like an awesome idea.

There would be other plumbing, wiring, & throttle cable concerns, but I suppose it could be done... I wouldn't want to be the one to do it.

Actually, flipping the upper intake is really easy. You simply unclip the throttle linkage, undo the bolts that secure it, rotate 180 degrees, bolt down and reconnect the throttle.

well... it's not quite that easy, but close, you do have to reroute the IA wiring and the TP wiring, but that usually isn't an issue, and you do have to swap a few vacuum lines, but that's not a big deal either. The only time it becomes an issue is if you are trying to maintain the smog equipment, but let's be serious, anyone putting a turbo on a fox mustang isn't worried about smog anyway since no turbo kits carry CARB EO numbers.
Posted By: ghodge_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/16/06 04:25 AM
Actually Incon had twin turbo kit for the Mustang that was CARB certified. Unfortunately they closed shop a long time ago.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: New turbo kit info - 03/16/06 04:04 PM
Originally posted by ghodge:
Actually Incon had twin turbo kit for the Mustang that was CARB certified. Unfortunately they closed shop a long time ago.

I'm sure that CARB certification process went a long way to them having to close shop
© CEG Archives