Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: MLuko Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 06:36 PM
What are the pros and cons of each of them? i need help for a project
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 06:40 PM
I have N20, so my vote would be for a turbo.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 06:41 PM
Depends a lot on the vehicle that it's going on, and what type of nitrous or supercharger setup you are going for. Just to keep this somewhat Contour related, the Contour reacts awesome to nitrous. Just for an example, a 50 shot will generally give you ~50HP to the WHEELS on the Duratec motor. Not to mention all of the torque you get! The Supercharger gives really linear HP on the Duratec motor, and not a lot of torque. Roots style blowers on the Cobra/Lightning are great off the line, but don't make the power up top like most centrifugal blowers. Blowers though, can be used anytime you want. Nitrous obviously needs to be refilled. Nitrous on the other hand, needs the change of jets to up the "boost", while a Supercharger needs a pulley swap. Nitrous doesn't really require an intercooler, while S/C's create a lot of heatsoak without one. There are TONS of differences, good and bad. It's up to the end user which route they want to take.

Mark
Posted By: Tourige Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 06:42 PM
What car is this for? A contour? in any case Nitros is going to get you places where the broken vortec cant.

Supercharger:
Pros:
Instant Boost
Reusable
Sounds Great
Decent Power gains

Cons:
Needs a Tune
unreliable
need new clutch/LSD etc.
Expensive

Nitros:
Pros:
75 HP easy
Relativly cheap compared to SC
Dont need a LSD/Clutch etc.

Cons:
Have to refill bottle
Cant always use it
Needs a Tune
Needs a Flip Chip
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 06:44 PM
boost = always there,
spray = got to fill the bottle, got to open the bottle. only good for a couple of runs
Posted By: MLuko Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 06:48 PM
sweet, thanks for the info guys.. its very usefull anything else i should know?

:edit: i got an A... i just BS'ed a pursusaive topic..
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
Supercharger:
Pros:
Instant Boost
Reusable
Sounds Great
Decent Power gains

Cons:
Needs a Tune
unreliable
need new clutch/LSD etc.
Expensive

Nitros:
Pros:
75 HP easy

Cons:
Have to refill bottle
Cant always use it
Needs a Tune
Needs a Flip Chip

The Vortec for the Contour doesn't exactly make "instant boost." It takes quite a while to make full boost, so there's actually less stress on the diff and clutch than Nitrous. Nitrous is generally an instant shock to your drivetrain. So basically, you're going 200HP to 300HP, INSTANTLY! I would put an LSD and clutch in EITHER car, not just the S/C car. Besides, clutches are generally measured by torque load, and nitrous FAR outdoes the Vortec in torque. Next, you'll want to tune for ANY forced induction that you add to a car. I don't care if it's 3lbs. of boost out of a S/C or a 30 shot of N20, you NEED A TUNE!

Mark
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
The Vortec for the Contour doesn't exactly make "instant boost." It takes quite a while to make full boost, so there's actually less stress on the diff and clutch than Nitrous. Nitrous is generally an instant shock to your drivetrain. So basically, you're going 200HP to 300HP, INSTANTLY! I would put an LSD and clutch in EITHER car, not just the S/C car. Besides, clutches are generally measured by torque load, and nitrous FAR outdoes the Vortec in torque. Next, you'll want to tune for ANY forced induction that you add to a car. I don't care if it's 3lbs. of boost out of a S/C or a 30 shot of N20, you NEED A TUNE!

Mark

imagine that, some common sense

~Andrew
Posted By: Pre98 Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 07:26 PM
Mark beat me to it. Ya gotta upgrade your tranny for any heavy FI or Nitrous mods.

Unless you like boom and grind. :shrugs:
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 09:30 PM
vortech can be reliable,and you get more than a couple of runs out of a bottle,a run at the track is generally 14-15 seconds long...spray time is ruf'ly half that time
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 09:31 PM
if you dont want the instant shock of nitrous,get the right pieces, so you can start with a smaller shot and work yourself up to the larger one in the upper gears
Posted By: 99cougar Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 09:31 PM
I don't care if it's 3lbs. of boost out of a S/C or a 30 shot of N20, you NEED A TUNE!

Mark

I wouldn't exactly say "need" a tune. I would say "could benefit from a tune" when it comes to the nitrous. If my car NEEDED a tune to run the juice it would have blown up 16 bottles ago! lol

Although i don't personally recommend someone spray without ANY type of tuning ability...it will not necessarily bring about bad things.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/21/06 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
Supercharger:
Pros:
Instant Boost
Reusable
Sounds Great
Decent Power gains

Cons:
Needs a Tune
unreliable
need new clutch/LSD etc.
Expensive

Nitros:
Pros:
75 HP easy

Cons:
Have to refill bottle
Cant always use it
Needs a Tune
Needs a Flip Chip

Mark

Amen! I think nitrous is the cheapest and most fun just because of how much trouble you can get into in such a short time.
After that, Turbo because a turbo can just get insane too if you want to keep going and there is NOTHING coooler than the whooshing sound as the intake charge builds up and the power just keeps coming on until you think you'll blow the engine! Properly sized of course.

SC, a close third place to the other two. Basically, I wouldn't buy one for this engine unless I had some other intrictate setup.
Like I could really really see using nitrous with a 50 shot on the Vortec setup so that the engine would have massive torque when you wanted it and as the boost builds up you just phase out the nitrous. Would be an awesome yet different combo I think.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Nitrous Vs. super charger - 02/22/06 02:42 AM
nitrous - more torque than supercharger, lots of power under the curve, cheap, but have to refill the bottle.

supercharger - makes slightly more torque on a 2.5L than some N/A 3.0L's , boost starts at about 4,500 rpms and peaks at redline, reliability issues, dont have to worry about the refill issue. And just for Greg, "Still outran by a naturally aspirated 3.0L."
© CEG Archives