Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/14/06 06:30 PM
Just wanted to say a little "hello" since I can now say that I am boosted. Even though I bought it that way, I can't begin to say how much I sincerely appreciate the hard work and effort that DID go in to creating such a wonderfully insane monster.

Anyway.. here I am.

Originally posted by "On Cloud 1001" Ray:
Just wanted to say a little "hello" since I can now say that I am boosted. Even though I bought it that way, I can't begin to say how much I sincerely appreciate the hard work and effort that DID go in to creating such a wonderfully insance monster.

Anyway.. here I am.

you lucky son of a [censored]
I'm jealous. But you do deserve it, Ray. That's fate thanking you for all the How-to's, LOL
Scott
Holy...I'm kinda sad, but kinda happy. We will have lost a big part of CEG if he leaves...

Congrats on the purchase tho
Someone care to "fill me in"?
That is Warmongers car in Ray's sig...
Could be Warmonger's car. Looks like Ray is in TX as well?!
I am in Texas.. have always been in Texas, and yes: I bought Tom's car. He was gracious enough to let me and I am entirely too happy right now. I can't thank him enough.

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/14/06 07:09 PM
Since I couldn't persuade Tom, I've got two words for you Ray: Spring Zing

Mark
I can see Ray making SZ before Tom. It seems like Ray has a little more free time. Maybe Tom can ride shotgun although a live view of Ray's wife would be nice.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/14/06 09:39 PM
Ray has a hot wife??? Ray, I'm paying your registration for Spring Zing!

Mark
Originally posted by todras:
I can see Ray making SZ before Tom. It seems like Ray has a little more free time. Maybe Tom can ride shotgun although a live view of Ray's wife would be nice.

Free time? Not I. I think I may seem that way because I, to be honest, haven't been prioritizing my time well. I certainly won't be making SZ this year. Next year, however, is already alloted for time and the budget is being filled even now.

Tom would always be welcome to go with me.. hell.. he can drive it better than I can, I am sure.

[sarcasm]Three or more days around a TON of Contours, doing track events and dynos? WOW.. my wife would SO be there![/sarcasm]

I'll bring her, virtually, though. pictures are worth a thousand words anyway (and I have about a 1000 pictures of her on the computer, so thats.. what? a million words worth? You guys could say anything you wanted with that kind of an allotment!)

What kind of pictures?
Posted By: Swazo Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/15/06 01:24 AM
I'm glad Tom's car went to a good home! I was worried some dingle berry would get it and destroy it.

What are your plans so far?
Congrats Ray. Glad to see a great guy got the car. I hope War sticks around...I NEED HIS BRAIN!!!
Posted By: Swazo Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/15/06 01:40 AM
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
Congrats Ray. Glad to see a great guy got the car. I hope War sticks around...I NEED HIS BRAIN!!!

Warmonger has been a very valuable CEG'er, it'd really suck to loose his insight/input!
Congrats Ray. I knew about this just about as long as you did and give you full kudos for being such a stand up guy.

Have a blast and remember you are still technically slower then me until you aren't.
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

Have a blast and remember you are still technically slower then me until you aren't.

haha man. Greg isnt going to let that die until someone finally beats his 13.4 with Tom's car.
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
Greg isnt going to let that die until someone finally beats his 13.4 with Tom's car.

Originally posted by Swazo:
What are your plans so far?

Two birds with one stone. lol

A dual stage or EBC would be in the near future. Tom and I were talking about this and I think that 3-4psi in 1st and 2nd would help traction tremendously. a 6-7(or even 10ish)psi in 3rd, 4th and 5th would then be switched to.

Oh.. and Greg..

Read the forum name. I'm not even going to argue with you on beating you. Without being used to the car, or the fact that you can NOT launch this car ar all, I wouldn't be able to pull anything remotely worth bragging about. Give me time, and a little work.. I'll see what I can't post up for you guys.

Posted By: Tourige Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/15/06 03:26 AM
so whats warmonger driving now?
A volvo S40 and a Mazda 5
who makes a dual stage EBC?

i have the HKS EVC EZ and i can have 2 boost settings but it will not let me change the settings while the car is under load. if it will help with traction i'd consider changing boost controllers......
Congrats!
Originally posted by LocoGSR:
Congrats!

and thanks!
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoââ??¢:
A volvo S40 and a Mazda 5

Tell Tom to slap a HiBoost turbo kit on that Mazda 5, 235 FWHP @ 7 PSI.
Pfft.. waited too long to edit.

* Or 496 FWHP @ 20 PSI (GT35R)

http://www.msprotege.com/members/HiBoost%20TS/Mazda%203%20496%20WHP%20at%2020%20psi.wmv
Posted By: TGO Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/18/06 01:41 AM
ya know...i'm definitley not keeping my car once it's paid off, but i was contemplating dropping the cash on a boosted csvt since all the work would already be done, and it would probably be cheaper in the long run. That car was the one i was contemplating most.

Ah well, I guess MS6 it is...
Originally posted by TGO:
ya know...i'm definitley not keeping my car once it's paid off, but i was contemplating dropping the cash on a boosted csvt since all the work would already be done, and it would probably be cheaper in the long run. That car was the one i was contemplating most.

If you are considering a MS6, start writing down which stations in New York have 93-octane. You have to use 93-octane or you start seeing the powerloss issue they have. Without 93 it will go from 15 PSI to 0 PSI at 4,500 RPM. You don't know sluggish until you drive a 3,600 lbs sedan powered by 160 WHP.
Originally posted by Twisted6:

If you are considering a MS6, start writing down which stations in New York have 93-octane. You have to use 93-octane or you start seeing the powerloss issue they have. Without 93 it will go from 15 PSI to 0 PSI at 4,500 RPM. You don't know sluggish until you drive a 3,600 lbs sedan powered by 160 WHP.

Yes I do.

An SVT with 200-250lbs of audio equipment and two riders with luggage across country.. I know the feeling.

LOL
Posted By: TGO Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/18/06 03:34 AM
that car really weighs 3600lbs!?

anyway, every gas station in staten island, as well as most i've been to in NJ, other parts of NY and even PA all carry 93.
Posted By: JB1 Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/18/06 03:57 AM
don't ever drive out here to cali
that car really weighs 3600lbs!?

anyway, every gas station in staten island, as well as most i've been to in NJ, other parts of NY and even PA all carry 93.

Abouts, but it really hauls ass. 13.7 1/4 mile and fastest 0-60 of any sedan under $30,000. Still manages a .87g on the skidpad and nearly non-existant body roll.
Originally posted by "On Cloud 1001" Ray:
Originally posted by Twisted6:

Yes I do.

An SVT with 200-250lbs of audio equipment and two riders with luggage across country.. I know the feeling.

LOL

I hope you don't mean it feels sluggish with all that weight?

You know you're running between 10-11 lbs/hp (factoring the HP to weight ratio is just the reciprocal of 0.1 hp/pound);
whereas a stock CSVT runs anywhere form 17-20 lbs/hp ?
Its definitely a good way to look at it, but on the other hand you have twice the power for a given weight but only about 10% increase in tire width....215mm-235mm
kind of explains the launch issues.

I'm glad the buyer was someone who will take care of the car, and yet still enjoy it. Ray will also remain a CEG member and sort of keep it "in the family".

Oh yeah, be sure to tell these guys how good the driveability is, what kind of gas mileage you got, all while still extracting that much power out of it.
I bragged about it occasionally, but who knows if anyone actually believed me. Having another opinion may lend credibility to those claims. VERY FEW people ever get there project 'monster' cars to run very well and hence many end up selling the car because they are dissatisfied and frustrated.
Actually the MS6 gets beat by the Nissan Altima SER. 0-60 in the Altima is now 5.5sec! That can't be right... And the MS6 1/4 mile time is 14.7 not 13.7.

Specs:

Altima
http://www.modernracer.com/nissanaltimaser.html

MS6
http://www.modernracer.com/mazdaspeed6.html
Posted By: TGO Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/18/06 06:48 PM
doesnt the evo have like 10 more hp and run a 13.5? Not like i'm looking to drag the car, just comparing.
doesnt the evo have like 10 more hp and run a 13.5? Not like i'm looking to drag the car, just comparing.

Yes.
Originally posted by Blackcoog:
Actually the MS6 gets beat by the Nissan Altima SER. 0-60 in the Altima is now 5.5sec! That can't be right... And the MS6 1/4 mile time is 14.7 not 13.7.

Specs:

Altima
http://www.modernracer.com/nissanaltimaser.html

MS6
http://www.modernracer.com/mazdaspeed6.html

Come on, if a 3,400 lbs 220 BHP Mazda6S can manage a high-14 1/4 mile, then how come a high compression, DFI, turbocharged 3,600 lbs 275 BHP Speed6 can only match that of it's 200 lbs lighter and open differential, FWD cousin?

Remember what I just said, when magazine testers, who are just about all based in California, can, at best, get 91 octane at the pumps, thus bringing on the powerloss issue, dumping all boost at 4,500 RPM. Funny thing is, only Road & Track actually owned up to putting in 91, the rest "forgot" that fact and made the Speed6 off to be a slow, heavy and expensive "performance" sedan.

Now here is an ACTUAL test of the Speed6 with 93 octane versus a base WRX and the Speed6 wins:

http://www.justlikeed.net/StripDir/?url=http://www.passwird.com/wow

CPe is nearly done with development of their intake system and piggyback (AFR corrections and possible boost controller), as well as the FMIC they wanted to do and exhaust system. The intake and FMIC would easily put the Speed6 over 300 at the crank due to the poor ducting and placement of the factory intercooler.
Originally posted by warmonger:

I'm glad the buyer was someone who will take care of the car, and yet still enjoy it. Ray will also remain a CEG member and sort of keep it "in the family".

w3rd! Im glad your car went to someone who will actually appreciate and maintain all your work instead of letting it deteriorate into a hunk 'o junk. I cant think of many people better than Ray to sell a car of that caliber to. Im just glad he picked it up instead of some punk teen with more $$$ than brains.

Good pickup Ray. Im very jealous.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/18/06 10:13 PM
I'm almost thinking of selling mine now...I'm kinda hoping that the 3L and bigger turbo will make me more interested in keeping the car, but I've kinda got less and less interested in the car over the last year.

Who wants it?
Originally posted by Stazi:
I'm almost thinking of selling mine now...I'm kinda hoping that the 3L and bigger turbo will make me more interested in keeping the car, but I've kinda got less and less interested in the car over the last year.

Who wants it?

dude are u effin serious ?? I DO!!

Who wants it?

Hee hee hee. Let me know before you sell it. A'ight?
Posted By: Stazi Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/19/06 12:07 AM
I'm serious if you're serious.

Money talks, BS walks.

I'd not consider less than $14k - so don't (anyone) even consider low-balling me. For another $2000 I'll go ahed and do the 3L and turbo-upgrade too.
Posted By: Harrry Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/19/06 03:54 AM
I'm serious if you're serious.

Money talks, BS walks.

I'd not consider less than $14k - so don't (anyone) even consider low-balling me. For another $2000 I'll go ahed and do the 3L and turbo-upgrade too.

Aww man are u serious!!
Don;t get rid of it!!
Posted By: Barge Re: Okay, so I bought my way in to the club. - 02/19/06 11:43 PM

Who wants it?

Just because you I beat you at 2 autocrosses doesn't mean your car is slow... it'll be all right... it was probably the driver anyway
OUCH!

Don't worry, Stazi's car is pretty badass already, after his next mods it'll be quite kickass.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Ray, how's the turbo feel??? - 02/21/06 10:59 PM
So how many cars tried creeping on you that you felt the need to open up a can-o-whoop-ass on?

I so miss being able to spank anything I come up against. I almost had fuggin tear in my eye this morning as this friggin Camaro was on my azz and zoomed around me in a very disparaging manner this morning.
I'm going to be planning for the Volvo if this keeps up!!!!
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Ray, how's the turbo feel??? - 02/22/06 12:37 AM
Haha.. ouch . I have thoroughly enjoyed the car, and still just can't get used to what it offers. It just keeps giving and giving. If you ask for more, she's ready and willing to give it to you. The power just keeps spooling and spooling, with no hint of letting up in any gear.

1st gear traction is getting easier, and smooth, though I couldn't dare launch the car hard at all (though something tells me that no amount of practice would cure that for me, with this much power...)

She rides smooth, and quietly. Road noise is minimal at best. You can hear the baby breathing in her sleep at 70 and 80mph, at cruise!!!!

And, of course, you can't go that fast without being able to stop quickly, too, which is NO problem! These brakes are perfect. Smooth, effortless, but powerful!

The old analogy of "poor man's BMW" has been completely and utterly revamped. This is the smart man's BMW. Any idiot that would spend the same amount on a BMW is a bonafide idiot. I looked, originally, at the car as a possible "upgrade" from my prior SVT. After going on the test drive, I could instantly see that it was an "upgrade" to ANY car I could have owned. Even for what people could "technically" claim is better (sheer power of a $60K sports car, etc) this car would still stomp it. The acceleration, speed, handling, braking, and ride quality make this a CLEAR choice amongst just about ANY car I could have looked at.. period.

I can't think of anything that, for even double the price (or more) would compete, even close.
What kind of pictures?

Yea, are we talking Moe or MY99SVT pictures?
Posted By: Trapps_dup1 Re: Ray, how's the turbo feel??? - 02/22/06 02:02 AM
Ray, Congrats. I'm glad you ended up with the car!
Tom, thanks for everything. Slowly you'll get involved with the Volvo and you won't miss the SVT as much; until you see a nice clean one on the raod. I still miss mine and all the good time we had together. Mikey's taking good care of it though.
Stazi, take it to the next level before you sell. The passion will see you through.
Originally posted by Trapps:
What kind of pictures?

We're talking... yeah.. I had my run-ins with the rules in the past about posting them, sure.

I've only shown the tip of the iceberg to a few select people, off the forums. Even they only saw a tiny bit.

but, yeah... the car is amazing!

Originally posted by Ray:
Originally posted by Trapps:
What kind of pictures?

We're talking... yeah.. I had my run-ins with the rules in the past about posting them, sure.

I've only shown the tip of the iceberg to a few select people, off the forums. Even they only saw a tiny bit.

but, yeah... the car is amazing!

Tip of What Iceberg? What kind of cool pictures did I miss...
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Ray, how's the turbo feel??? - 02/22/06 03:05 AM
and im thinking of throwing mine on the auction block too!
though mine's not turbo'd
i thought about getting one but then thought, hell, i might as well get that cobra i always wanted and vert to boot!
Posted By: Stazi Re: Ray, how's the turbo feel??? - 02/22/06 05:01 PM
Yeah I'll do the 3L and bigger snail and then see how I feel.
Posted By: stilov Re: Ray, how's the turbo feel??? - 02/22/06 06:02 PM
WHOA!!!! I like Tom's old car, and I am sure it is powerful, but to call a BMW owner an idiot?

Come on...there is way more to a BMW than performance.

I know you are excited Ray...so I forgive you.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Ray, how's the turbo feel??? - 02/22/06 07:35 PM
Originally posted by stilov:
WHOA!!!! I like Tom's old car, and I am sure it is powerful, but to call a BMW owner an idiot?

The whole idea of a BMW 3 series is driving experience. The only thing the turbo SVT wouldn't have over it is fit & maybe the interior quality, but the SVT is a pretty darn good package. With the turbo & other upgrades Ray has, the driving experience is well beyond any BMW. The only other objection would be the headache of having to mod the car to get it to that level. Was no trouble for Ray as he bought the car in that condition.

Are you talking status symbol? The BMW is losing its appeal as a status symbol as every wanna-be on the planet has one now. At this point in my life, I wouldn't buy a new one even if I could afford it because of all the whiney p[self sensored]s that own them around here.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Ray, how's the turbo feel??? - 02/22/06 10:12 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

The whole idea of a BMW 3 series is driving experience. The only thing the turbo SVT wouldn't have over it is fit & maybe the interior quality, but the SVT is a pretty darn good package. With the turbo & other upgrades Ray has, the driving experience is well beyond any BMW. The only other objection would be the headache of having to mod the car to get it to that level. Was no trouble for Ray as he bought the car in that condition.

Are you talking status symbol? The BMW is losing its appeal as a status symbol as every wanna-be on the planet has one now. At this point in my life, I wouldn't buy a new one even if I could afford it because of all the whiney p[self sensored]s that own them around here.

Ding!

That, and I said "anyone who would pay the SAME AMOUNT" for a BMW would be an idiot"., not that anyone who would buy a BMW at all would be. Which IS true.

Posted By: stilov Re: Ray, how's the turbo feel??? - 02/23/06 04:34 AM
I have a turbo SVT. I know what they are...and yes I realize that Tom's has more power. I am on my 2nd turbo build now...I am just saying...

It's true in most things...you get what you pay for.

It depends what you are looking for. What driving experience do you like? So little traction that it's tough to drive? Or a solid smooth, controlled one?

Don't get me wrong...I don't have a BMW, I am not saying they are even better. It's just relative.

Although I do have to say..."fit and maybe interior quality" come on...go see how long the BMW leather lasts compared to ford's pleather.

Again please understand...I love my SVT. I have spent SO much money and time on it...it's unreal. Just don't make judgement calls for other people and what their preferences might be.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Ray, how's the turbo feel??? - 02/23/06 02:05 PM
Well, I used to own a BMW and I loved it! I would buy one new but that wasn't the point I guess.
You would really have to drive my (old car) because I had pretty much the same philosophy that BMW had....which is:

-Understated
-Lots of power
-Handling
-All the creature comforts
-logical layout
-No compromise on stock functionality

So you really couldn't buy a car of similar size with all the amenities that I put into it. It isn't a racecar. It is a drivers car. From the suspension to the wheels to the interior comfort like retaining AC and high quality stereo to tastefull gauge mounting, switch mounting, etc. Quiet ride with sound deadening....I mean it is all there. Not "Boy Racer" wings or yellow paint and [censored]. You can race it but then it performs admirably as a touring car without any discomfort.
As far as traction, if you modulate the throttle, there is NO problem with accelerating fast and retaining traction. This car isn't hard to drive, the turbo is sized perfectly for a 3L engine with SVT cams. With the escape cams it was hard to drive and hook up, but not once I returned the SVT cams. There is only one BMW that has beat me by the way. It was a supercharged M3, about a year 2000 and he beat me by 0.02 seconds in the 1/4 mile because he got the launch on me but I had him by 3mph in trapp speed. When we got done he was oohing and ahhing over my simple SVT Contour, even though I told him I would have bought an M3 instead if I could have afforded it. This was early on in my turbo days with less drag racing experience and that was the last time too.

I think what Ray meant is that there is no affodable BMW, and I say this lightly as the M3 is nice but new or used it's out of the price range, but there is no affordable BMW that could compete with my old car when you take ALL categories into account. I say that hands down, bet money on it!
And no, I'm not

To give you an understanding, that car rode almost as quiet as my brand new Volvo. Interior is almost like it was new, just broke-in a little. It was a night and day difference riding in mine after riding in another CEG'rs SVT with less miles, talk about road noise and rattles! I sound deadened and tied up everything under that dash and every panel that could move years ago and never looked back or even realized how good a job I'd done until I rode in a 2000 SVT with none of that attention. Huge difference.

This stuff is more or less what I've hinted at and mentioned over the years but is not truly understood unless you have the chance to just live with the car.
You find over and over again that you just choose to drive it over other cars even when they are newer and sitting in your garage.
I almost never drove my Volvo when I had the SVT. I like the Volvo and it is fun to drive; it was supposed to be a future project car, but it is nowhere near as fun to drive as the SVT and it doesn't have any creature comforts above the SVT other than dual climate controls.
I just had several things that happened in the last two years ...like have two MORE kids, the newest of which is 1 month old now that forced me to buy a larger capacity vehicle and the fact that getting stationed in different places makes keeping 3+ cars a big expense and problem.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Ray, how's the turbo feel??? - 02/23/06 03:13 PM
Although I do have to say..."fit and maybe interior quality" come on...go see how long the BMW leather lasts compared to ford's pleather.

Well, I have a 1986 325e and I have a pair of front seats to replace the old ones that have been deteriorated (torn/cracked) for the last 10 years. I'll be dying & treating all the leather to match starting next month. I had to get fresh seats because the padding in the BMW seats is BADLY compressed & worthless.

I do admit that the car was not properly cared for & sat in the sun WAAAAAY too much before I owned it. It'll get new paint too.

BMWs are nice, but they ain't "all that" either. I've had 3, so I think I know more about them than the average bear. Frankly, not worth the extra $$$ they ask IMNSHO.

Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Ray, how's the turbo feel??? - 02/23/06 04:09 PM
I've always found BMW interiors to be a bit...inscrutable. Oddly labeled buttons and dials that fit practically flush to the center console don't make for quick and easy adjustments when you're driving. So far, the Contour console has been the easiest panel I've ever used, probably even a bit simpler than my old Integras were.
© CEG Archives