Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: smoothlinez Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/05/06 09:58 PM
Hi, I recently installed water injection into a turbocharged duratec 3.0 v6. I have heard some good and bad things about running WI on these engines. I was wondering if anyone here has water injection on their turbocharged 3.0s and what experience you have had with them.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/05/06 10:03 PM
PM Stazi, unless he sees this post before you get to him. He has water injection on his turbocharged 2.5L(soon to be 3.0L) SVT. He's had a lot of success with his.

Mark
Posted By: RyeLou Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/05/06 11:13 PM
I just bought a kit for my SRT-4. Its sitting behind me right now in the box it came in. I gotta find the time to install it and my wideband. I've never read anything overly negative about W/I on any motor though. Nothing that would convince me not to do it anyhow. My kit will also work with alcohol...as most will with proper lines and what not.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/06/06 12:15 AM
I have had a lot of experience with water injection.

Let's cover a few basics. First the pro side. Water injection tends to cool the cylinder intake air charge. In that respect it is a little like an intercooler. The cooler charge is denser and thus will provide more power. There is also more power from the water turning to steam. The cooler charge also allows for more ignition timing advance and can contribute to additional power. It also tends to keep carbon from forming in the combustion chambers.

Now the con side. Water injection can be hard to control. Too heavy and it can contribute to engine wear or even severe engine damage. It can contribute to corrosion to intake components. Anyone that has done much heavy engine work knows that an engine that has been run very long with a mildly blown head gasket knows that the cylinder wear on any wet cylinders can be tremendous. Cylinder wear is almost a thing of the past on today's engines. It is not uncommon to find nearly no wear or taper on and engine with well over 100,000 miles. Thirty or forty years ago such an engine often had 10 to 20 thousands of an inch of wear by that time. A cylinder that is injesting water can get that much wear in a few thousand miles.

If not properly controlled water injection may not do much good. The systems that provide water when engine vacuum is high and little or not water whan vacuum is low doesn't do much more than help keep carbon buildup down.

Systems that provide water injection during load may help to reduce ping and provide all of the benefits mentioned above, but it can be tricky to determine the correct flow. Such systems cannot depend on engne vacuum to draw in the water, but must have a small pump as well as a means to meter the flow according to demand.

Most of my involvement was with motorhomes and trucks that pulled RV trailers. Remember that 25 to 30 years ago, there was not as much control over ignition timing. Water injection was used to cut ping pulling heavy grades. It worked, but I most certainly had mixed feelings about using it.

It is also important to have some failsafe systems built in. I remember more than one vehicle that drained the water tank into the crankcase due to some sort of malfunction as well as the water tank being mounted too high.

I remember reading about a lengthly study a few years ago showing the smog benefits of water injection. They showed that carefully controlled water injection not only generated additional power, but could eliminate the need for an EGR system.

Water injection is sometimes used on jet engines. Such aircraft are sometimes called "water wagons". Agressive water injection provides a lot of additional thrust and can be used for supplimentry power for take off. The water doesn't last long though, and when it runs out, the drop in thrust is so dramatic that a pilot using it for the first time may think his engines stalled.

Water/alcohol injection was factory equipment on the early 60's Olds F-85 with the optional turbo engine. It was used to eliminate ping under boost. The engine had the same compression ratio as the non turbo engine. Although timing was retarded under boost, it wasn't enough. The system didn't allow boost unless there was fluid in the water injection tank.

No mater what, adding water injection adds considerable complexity to engine management.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/06/06 12:37 AM
Some good stuff there.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/06/06 12:41 AM
WOW! I had no friggin' Idea...

(* scratches water injection off the list *)
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/06/06 12:51 AM
I don't think that means you shouldn't run it....it isn't rocket science. Just need to take the knowledge and build a good system. Contact Stazi.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/06/06 05:26 AM
BlackwidowSVT is also using water injection on his turbo 2.5 as well. Most of the s/c SHO guys in Denver are using W/I as well with success.
Posted By: ElKy Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/06/06 01:26 PM
My 1963 Ford Fairlane wagon with a 2bbl 221ci V8 had water injection from the factory.

it was as simple as a mayonaise jar with a small hose that ran up to the carb.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/06/06 02:07 PM
I run a mix of alcohol and water through a modified Spearco system. It allows me to run ~12psi of boost with no pinging (and no intercooler). Lets just say that with the water injection I was able to extract about another 25hp form my system than I was getting without it.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/06/06 11:45 PM
In the Turbo Buick (GN' and Pont. TTA's) world progressive alcohol injection is the #1 mod for big HP and lots of boost on 93 octane pump gas. On a mildly modded TTA with alcohol injection you can run up to 24 psi on the stock turbo putting the car into low 11's. This guy is KING in the TURBO Buick world...Julio Don from http://www.alkycontrol.com/ Currently his 89 TTA (3.8L 6) is running 10.550 at 132.22, 1.539 60ft, 3850 race weight w/driver on stock internals and has recently posted a 548 hp / 636 lb at 27 psi dyno run and a 584 hp at 25 PSI with a 35 shot of NOS during some recent R&D. He also designs systems for other Turbo & S/C cars as well. He is one of the Moderators on TurboBuick.com (screen name "Razor") and has posted tons of info in the Alcohol, Nitrous and Propane Tech forum http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14 . If you have any questions check him out and read up...he knows his sh!t and is known and respected by all in the Turbo Buick community. Check out his video demonstrating his PAC controller on his 89 TTA... http://www.bmcomputersource.com/pachires.wmv

This system will be on my TTA this comming Spring/Summer along with a few other goodies he has suggested to keep me looking stock but run low 11's at 120+ guaranteed
Posted By: smoothlinez Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/07/06 12:39 AM
The reason for my question was that I have always kinda used WI on my turbocharged cars. Recently I was told that they do more harm on the Duratec motors than good because there are oil squiters to lube the cyl walls and the WI will kill the lubrication. Any comments about WI use on the duratec motors?
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/07/06 12:53 AM
SnowPerformance now sells an adjustable MAF variable WI controller, that you can set the water injection to start as little as 1-volt or all the way up to 5-volts on the MAF signal. I think that is the safest bet for water injection.
Posted By: smoothlinez Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/07/06 01:13 AM
We sell the Snowperformance WI kits now. I have nothing but great things to say about their kits. I just wanted to know who has WI running on their duratec motors and if they have seen any drawbacks or damage to the engine due to lack of lubrication. I installed the snowperformance kit on a customers car and he was told that WI is good but not for the ford duratec V6. Rather than yanking the thing out, I wanted to know who was using them on the high hp contours, etc.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/07/06 02:00 AM
Originally posted by smoothlinez:
I was told that they do more harm on the Duratec motors than good because there are oil squiters to lube the cyl walls

Im no expert but im almost positive we dont have that. Im sure someone on here that knows more will post about it.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/07/06 03:46 AM
Originally posted by dubkatz:
I was told that they do more harm on the Duratec motors than good because there are oil squiters to lube the cyl walls

Im no expert but im almost positive we dont have that. Im sure someone on here that knows more will post about it.

V6 Duratec's do not have them, at least not from the factory they don't . The 2.3l Duratec does though. Is this Svt prodigy's car I wonder, aka Brian?
Posted By: BlackwidowSVTT Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/07/06 04:21 AM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
BlackwidowSVT is also using water injection on his turbo 2.5 as well. Most of the s/c SHO guys in Denver are using W/I as well with success.

Yes I am ! I am using methenal in my WI system. Using water in Colo. will freeze in my lines from the trunk to the engine bay. (I ran my lines through the subframe conectors) I am so impressed with the way it keeps the engine from knocking and pinging. I am running 13psi with no problems, 32k miles so far. I bought the ADC WI kit out of there test mule car for there SVT turbo kit. Thanks again Keyser ! I took apart the UIM and LIM about 6 months ago. The WI kit had been on 1 year at that point. The UIM and LIM were cleaner then the outside of the motor. I was very happy. If WI wears out my engine, just gives me a reason to get a 3.0L -B.
Posted By: gotapex Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/08/06 06:44 AM
Originally posted by livinsvt:
Originally posted by dubkatz:

V6 Duratec's do not have them, at least not from the factory they don't . The 2.3l Duratec does though. Is this Svt prodigy's car I wonder, aka Brian?

Only the Duratecs from AER have those.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/08/06 04:23 PM
I did a bit of research into adding oil squirters.

Procyon stated more than once that the Mazda6 oil pump is higher volume than the stock duratec pump because of vvt.
Using that pump and designing an oil squirter system could greatly increase the durability for track racing. I was going to do it but then I realized that I don't do enough track time to justify the added complexity and costs.

If I do a motor for someone else then I would be willing to build the setup I planned to use.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/08/06 05:43 PM
Could of sworn that reading through Mitchell On Demand sometime ago, that the Mazda Millenia (sp?) used oil squirters. If memory serves, both engines were Duratecs, the 2.3L was just a de-stroked 2.5L or maybe smaller bore, I can't truely remember.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/08/06 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Twisted6:
Could of sworn that reading through Mitchell On Demand sometime ago, that the Mazda Millenia (sp?) used oil squirters. If memory serves, both engines were Duratecs, the 2.3L was just a de-stroked 2.5L or maybe smaller bore, I can't truely remember.

The millenia is a supercharged miller cycle engine...totally different.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/08/06 06:39 PM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:
Originally posted by Twisted6:

The millenia is a supercharged miller cycle engine...totally different.

And? What does the intake valve being open longer, during the compression stroke to pressurize against the supercharger rather than the cylinder walls, have to do with the pistons that is still within a Duratec block?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/09/06 12:25 AM
well, the millenia used a six cylinder, not a four cylinder, irregardless of the cycles.
The 2.3 is a four cylinder family. You might be able to take the 2.3 oil squirting system and convert it over, maybe its just a rail or perhaps it is individual jets that tap into an oil gallery.
That would be nicer!
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/09/06 05:34 AM
Originally posted by warmonger:
well, the millenia used a six cylinder, not a four cylinder, irregardless of the cycles.
The 2.3 is a four cylinder family. You might be able to take the 2.3 oil squirting system and convert it over, maybe its just a rail or perhaps it is individual jets that tap into an oil gallery.
That would be nicer!

Mazda had a 2.3L DOHC V6 Miller Cycle engine. Supercharged even. (210HP IIRC)
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/09/06 06:48 PM
Here are the oil squirters:

The Milly's pistons:

Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/09/06 08:05 PM
The millenia motor is NOT a duratec...that was my point.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/09/06 08:07 PM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:
The millenia motor is NOT a duratec...that was my point.

Mazda KL-engine family now that I remember it.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/09/06 08:18 PM
Very nice! Those squirters look good, wish I'd known about them before, assuming we have an oil gallery in that area.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/09/06 08:18 PM
Interesting article I found...talks about both engines!
Posted By: Stazi Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/09/06 08:32 PM
I'm gonna check where the oil gallery is on the Duratech. Must be somewhere in that vicinity. Only question is who is willing to sacrifice a block to try and retrofit squirter and the cost would be high. I'd be worried about to much oil pressure loss - and with these engines, it's something we've found out that we cannot afford at all!
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/09/06 08:37 PM
I have the 3.0L shortblock on the engine stand ... I will snap pictures tonight ... if the girdle isn't covering up too much
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/09/06 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
I'm gonna check where the oil gallery is on the Duratech. Must be somewhere in that vicinity. Only question is who is willing to sacrifice a block to try and retrofit squirter and the cost would be high. I'd be worried about to much oil pressure loss - and with these engines, it's something we've found out that we cannot afford at all!

Upgrade to the Mazda6 high volume oil pump.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/09/06 09:07 PM
That is probably a marketing gimick as they most likely don't differ from the stock units ... I could be wrong though ... does it have a ford part #?
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/09/06 09:26 PM
Originally posted by fastcougar:
That is probably a marketing gimick as they most likely don't differ from the stock units ... I could be wrong though ... does it have a ford part #?

Doesn't look like a typical Motorcraft number to me:

Originally posted by procyon:
A little more info on the higher flow pump...It's only used on the Mazda6, Fusion, and Lincoln LS(2003+ with VCT). It's not used on the Jag versions even though they have VCT. As I understood it was needed to provide enough oil pressure at lower rpm for the VCT operation. The Jag has a different VCT strategy which I guess activates at higher rpm.

Also, the higher flow pump costs more and causes very slight fuel economy hit. All those tenths of mpg add up.

Service PN is 3W4Z-6600-AA.

Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/10/06 03:06 AM

Hate to say it, but the information given to me about the pump being higher volume came from Procyon, and he is 99% never wrong on his facts about these engines. I doubted him once years and years ago but I was sufficiently convinced shortly thereafter that he knew his stuff.

The pump has to push more oil to supply the standard duratec needs along with provide oil to actuate the cam sprockets for the variable valve timing.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/10/06 02:50 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:

Hate to say it, but the information given to me about the pump being higher volume came from Procyon, and he is 99% never wrong on his facts about these engines. I doubted him once years and years ago but I was sufficiently convinced shortly thereafter that he knew his stuff.

The pump has to push more oil to supply the standard duratec needs along with provide oil to actuate the cam sprockets for the variable valve timing.

I had no idea that the information originated from Procyon. Try and understand that my statement was based on a reply by someone with 187 posts. Also note that I clearly state " ... I could be wrong though ... "

I hereby reserve the right to be incorrect in my assumptions and thoughts
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Anyone with Water Injection? - 01/10/06 04:03 PM
I had no idea that the information originated from Procyon. Try and understand that my statement was based on a reply by someone with 187 posts. Also note that I clearly state " ... I could be wrong though ... "

I hereby reserve the right to be incorrect in my assumptions and thoughts

Ahem, . To make it up, you can post those pictures you promised us.
© CEG Archives