Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Instigator FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/09/05 11:35 PM
Just thought I'd share over here. I read this board a lot but I don't post much.

over here on newcougar.org

i think you have to join to look at them, but i spent the last 20 minutes trying to post the pics on here and couldnt figure it out

Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/09/05 11:41 PM
Still can't access the pics. My biggest issue is that I am registered on NECO and my password no longer works and it doesnt recognize either of my email addys

I emailed the admin...post pics from like cardomain. I wanna see this@
Posted By: Instigator Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/10/05 12:25 AM
i would but i dont have a cardomain page....
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/10/05 01:17 AM
email me your pictures,
lorddwhite@gmail.com

i'll host them for you and post them up then.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/10/05 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Instigator:
Just thought I'd share over here. I read this board a lot but I don't post much.

over here on newcougar.org

i think you have to join to look at them, but i spent the last 20 minutes trying to post the pics on here and couldnt figure it out

WTF, I can't log onto the cougar forum and I can't see any pics. I'm hoping this is something good....
If anything you'd better email me a few pics.

Just click on the image button during your post and then paste the link to your pics.
Posted By: Instigator Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/10/05 02:42 AM
k im making a cardomain page right now, and ill link the pics here tomorrow morning.......or late tonight....i have to go see that Narnia movie with my g/f now
Posted By: Instigator Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/10/05 08:31 AM
okay i made a car domian page....it only took me 3 hours, but its there and the intercooler pics are theer too!!!

my car domain page

enjoy and tell me what you think!!!
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/10/05 08:59 AM
Looks good! The gauges in the A/C vents looks killer, very trick looking.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/10/05 01:41 PM
I wonder if your zetec FD will actually work for you. I know TH is the only one who offers to do that.

Looks like a very $ build. Wish I had the funds.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/10/05 03:08 PM
man, those gauges in the AC vents look like they were made to be put there. A very clean install. Cant wait to see some numbers!
Posted By: SVT SNOB Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/10/05 03:48 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
man, those gauges in the AC vents look like they were made to be put there. A very clean install. Cant wait to see some numbers!

Agreed.

Aaron
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/10/05 04:32 PM
Oh by the way, do you have any pics of the FMIC/pipe routing without the bumper on?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/10/05 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Instigator:
okay i made a car domian page....it only took me 3 hours, but its there and the intercooler pics are theer too!!!

my car domain page

enjoy and tell me what you think!!!

Overall beautifull job. Nice touch on the interior and I really like the intercooler piping.

I like everything except your claim that the escape/mazda6 exhaust cam combo being the best. Their performance is open for debate until you or DanG get us a dyno sheet.
It's worth trying out, but the idea behind using them is projected from simulations. I'm open minded but I don't hold my breath that they will be superior to stock 3L cams or SVT cams. I say this because both currently used cam sets do one thing better than the other and I suspect that the combo you chose will fall into the middle of them.
Posted By: Instigator Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/10/05 11:29 PM
we will see tom......we will see

my friend and i are gonna tackle the downpipe on monday and tuesday.....and as soon as my K&N Filter and 4" 90 degree silicone connector get here im gonna put all the little pieces together and fire her up. assuming i dont have to fix anything im gonna break her in and get her on the dyno ASAP

on the mazda6 cam thing.....i wanted to be with DanG and try something new......and if theres room for improvement with a different cam setup....im gonna wait a year or two....cuz im all "carred" out right now
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/11/05 04:14 AM
Very nice setup.....

I must say though, to all the people who have sunk so much money into their cars, why not spend a little extra and make an effort to get the damn thing to hook up. I can't believe none of you have tried a set of traction bars let alone boxed control arms. Only person I know of who has done the latter is Chris.
Posted By: Swazo Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/11/05 04:30 AM
I'm boxing in my LCA's, adding subframe connectors and have solid 94a urethane roll restrictors.

If there were traction bars or the like, I'd be buying them too.
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/11/05 05:48 AM
Originally posted by BiggsvT28:
Very nice setup.....

I must say though, to all the people who have sunk so much money into their cars, why not spend a little extra and make an effort to get the damn thing to hook up. I can't believe none of you have tried a set of traction bars let alone boxed control arms. Only person I know of who has done the latter is Chris.

I have a 94A poly rear roll resistor and poly inserts on my front mount. I will be installing a torsen soon. Other than that I have no idea what else will help me hook up. Till then I guess we will all just be forced to have fun going fast from a roll. I dont think traction bars are available.
Does boxing in the LCA's really help with traction?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/11/05 02:54 PM
I don't know, but last months Sport compact car talked about wheel hop in its suspension tech. It talked about geometry angles and how certain types of suspension can increase/decrease wheelhop.
If I were going to spend major money on mods for it, I'd look into what really causes it and then construct the required parts to adjust it.
Posted By: gotapex Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/11/05 10:06 PM
Very nice looking!
Posted By: DanG Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/12/05 03:57 AM
I put the 94A urethane in the front, had to revert to the stock (SVT) rear due to gawd-awful vibrations to the cabin... Not suitable for a daily driver. As for hooking up, no urethane in the world will help this platform use more than 300fwhp...

BTW- The 3L/Mazda 6 cam setup was recommended by Demon after analysis of the lift/duration/overlap of each setup (stock 3L, SVT, or "hybrid" 3L/Mazda 6) while under higher boost applications (12.5 for the street, not much really, can't wait for racing season)... Of course, I can't get the damn thing to hook up even with my R compounds...
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/12/05 07:03 AM
Originally posted by DanG:
I had to revert to the stock (SVT) rear due to gawd-awful vibrations to the cabin... Not suitable for a daily driver.

You rear end must be pretty sensitive! It vibrates more, but its not THAT bad. I stopped noticing it after a few weeks.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/12/05 12:48 PM
I put the 94A urethane in the front, had to revert to the stock (SVT) rear due to gawd-awful vibrations to the cabin... Not suitable for a daily driver. As for hooking up, no urethane in the world will help this platform use more than 300fwhp...

THANK YOU! Now you and others have found out what I've been saying forever, namely that 300-350 wheel horsepower is fun but already more than sufficient and too difficult to put to the ground for a street car that also sees track time.
This is the EXACT reason I went and experimented with using modified stock manifolds and in general the most easily accessible parts in order to Pave the way for others to build a DIY turbo kit. I figured you could use cheaper components and install a turbo that will take this platform to 300 wHP very affordably, the approximate power range where this platform can do very well and still get it to the ground.

BTW- The 3L/Mazda 6 cam setup was recommended by Demon after analysis of the lift/duration/overlap of each setup (stock 3L, SVT, or "hybrid" 3L/Mazda 6) while under higher boost applications (12.5 for the street, not much really, can't wait for racing season)... Of course, I can't get the damn thing to hook up even with my R compounds...

Yes, I'm well aware of the who/what/when the cam recommendations came from and I have always felt it merrited testing. However, I've not been too overly optimistic that they will exceed either the escape or SVT cams in the areas that those cams are already good at. Namely, the escape cams make huge midrange torque, the SVT cams have a broad powerband with excellent top end. I also ran simulations with my program on the combination and I think this combination may fall somewhere in the middle between these two cam setups. If so, it will be a good choice for someone who is tuning their engine's power band to a particular application.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: FMIC on my 3.0 Cougar - 12/12/05 01:47 PM
Wanna post a cost list? You're going to have to upgrade those brakes w/o a doubt.
© CEG Archives