Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: RyeLou New(er?) wideband option - 12/04/05 06:07 PM
Just though I would post this for you guys to check out. Innovative has a newer wideband they're selling now with a gauge type display instead of their normal hand held unit. I'll be picking one up shortly. They have a few color combos and a handful of othre custom junk you can do to them (looks wise), but Innovative is one of the best widebands I've had experience with. I was going to go with the UEGO, but I've been seeing more than a few people say the readings you get from it are quite jumpy. Anyhow, I'm using the wideband to tune a map clamp I have on my car which controls the AFR. The map clamp is sort of like the an Apexi AFC, only I can just tune it once for the whole RPM band as opposed to in specific RPM incraments. Sounds cheap, and it is ($32), but its very functional and as long as you keep an eye on your AFR its easily the best bang for your buck mod on the SRT4. The AFR on the SRT4's are goofy though. Anything over 12.4 or so is dangerous without some type of high octane fuel and a decent amount of luck. I will be tuning my car to see no more than a 12.2 AFR.

Here it is:
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=252
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/04/05 06:39 PM
I have the EUGO...I have yet to use it, but I will report on it when I get the chance. I paid way under retail too!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/04/05 07:05 PM
Originally posted by RyeLou:
Just though I would post this for you guys to check out. Innovative has a newer wideband they're selling now with a gauge type display instead of their normal hand held unit. I'll be picking one up shortly. They have a few color combos and a handful of othre custom junk you can do to them (looks wise), but Innovative is one of the best widebands I've had experience with. I was going to go with the UEGO, but I've been seeing more than a few people say the readings you get from it are quite jumpy. Anyhow, I'm using the wideband to tune a map clamp I have on my car which controls the AFR. The map clamp is sort of like the an Apexi AFC, only I can just tune it once for the whole RPM band as opposed to in specific RPM incraments. Sounds cheap, and it is ($32), but its very functional and as long as you keep an eye on your AFR its easily the best bang for your buck mod on the SRT4. The AFR on the SRT4's are goofy though. Anything over 12.4 or so is dangerous without some type of high octane fuel and a decent amount of luck. I will be tuning my car to see no more than a 12.2 AFR.

Here it is:
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=252

So, UMMM where have you been? That's been out since 2003. Suprised no one has bought it yet. I have bought the LC-1 wideband controller but I'm using it to drive my GReddy air fuel gauge. Basically mine is all analog with numbers instead of digital like theirs. I'd rather use theirs but I already had a nice gauge and the all analog look matches stock.
Posted By: RyeLou Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/04/05 07:55 PM
I just went to their website today for the first time. I've seen their hand held unit forever but never considered checking into other products. This is why I put the "new(er?)" in the title, haha. I like their set-up with the gauge. The UEGO is a nice alternative, and theres a GB on the SRTForums for $275 shipped. I haven't heard anything bad about them, just that they can be jumpy.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/05/05 01:38 AM
for $275, jump on it. the innovate one is a good setup.
Posted By: RyeLou Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/05/05 04:07 PM
Thats what I was thinking (about the UEGO GB). Theres another one for the NGK wideband for $250 shipped, but I don't like it as much. Looks goofy IMO

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/air-fuel/index.asp?nav=19000&country=US
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/05/05 04:17 PM
If you have an Xcal, I would read this: http://www.sctflash.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2894

Some guys are using the LC 1 with the Xcal, a very reasonable price!

Im going to keep my eye on this thread, the NGK unit looks like a good option as well
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/05/05 09:44 PM
Here are some more options:
http://www.plxdevices.com/onlinestore_domestic.htm

Scroll down a bit.
Posted By: gotapex Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/05/05 10:26 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
Here are some more options:
http://www.plxdevices.com/onlinestore_domestic.htm

Scroll down a bit.

I have the R-500 on my setup. Seems to work ok.
Posted By: RyeLou Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 01:49 AM
Kingpin, if you're intersted in the NGK let me know. I have one reserved for me right now, but I decided I didn't want it which is why I'm getting the UEGO or the Innovative. I think the GB for the NGK is over, but the one for the UEGO at $275 shipped goes on for a bit longer.

Unfortunatly the Xcal doesn't work on the SRT4 I don't think.
Posted By: RyeLou Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 01:53 AM
Oh, another option here. The guy who owns/runs the site/company is awesome. His name is Rob and he lives about 20 minutse from me. I have his downpipe on my car. Sounds rediculous with the cut-out. Anyhow, the wideband kits he sells are great. I've seen them it in his car. Pretty cool with the LCD display, but you can get it w/o and run it on any lap top or palm pilot.
Posted By: Stazi Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 02:28 AM
Ryan who/where is this Rob guy and do you have any more info on his Wideband Kit?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 03:00 AM
I'm telling you that the Innovate gauge and LC-1 is an excellent producat and not that expensive. You won't go wrong since they were the first ones to really bring us the wideband option and even offered the CEG a group buy two years ago. I still have my regular handheld wideband LM-1 for tuning purposes and ONLY bought the LC-1 so I could have a stand alone in my car the whole time. If you have a laptop, the LC-1 is the way to go with the gauge.
Their products are great quality.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 06:13 AM
I have heard nothing but good things about the Innovative unit. Most people on the SCT forums seem to like them as well.
Posted By: Stazi Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 01:15 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:
I'm telling you that the Innovate gauge and LC-1 is an excellent producat and not that expensive. You won't go wrong since they were the first ones to really bring us the wideband option and even offered the CEG a group buy two years ago. I still have my regular handheld wideband LM-1 for tuning purposes and ONLY bought the LC-1 so I could have a stand alone in my car the whole time. If you have a laptop, the LC-1 is the way to go with the gauge.
Their products are great quality.

Tom you may be right onn thw quality of the Innovative stuff - but I sure as hell am not paying $400 for a A/F gauge.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 05:02 PM
C'mon, you're an engineer right? They make LOTS of money.

BTW. What are you talking about??? The LC-1 is not $400. The XD-1 is $400 with the standalone kit and digital gauge.
However, the basic standalone programmable wideband LC-1 that can be tuned and operated from a laptop is only $199.00 and gives anyone wideband capability.
LC-1 from Innovate Catalog

The LC-1 has programmable outputs so you can drive your existing A/F gauge/meter with a simulated switching narrow band output or a wideband within a narrow range.
If you have the LED type you can drive it with a non switching output in a 1 volt range so that although not as sensitive or precise, Green will truly mean good and Red will truly mean bad. You can do full wideband datalogging with your laptop and dial everything in while leaving the sensor mounted in the car and then for normal driving use your less precise, cheap gauge to give you the sort of Analog indication of air fuel ratio. It also comes with a small calibration button and led to give error codes and such. I have it in my car and I use it to drive my GReddy Air Fuel gauge because the GReddy Air Fuel gauge has a much nicer numbered Analog meter that matches the gauges in the car. I leave the datalink hookup in the glove box along with the LED and calibration button.

I know you have an O2 sensor from one of your little add-on goodies because I remember you saying something about it. So you're halfway there. The LC-1 can replace an existing O2 sensor and feed the pcm the switched narrow band output while simultaneously providing wideband to a gauge. It really is a great product for the money.

Posted By: Stazi Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 05:25 PM
I have a numerical output of the A/F on my Apexi Turbo Timer which is WAY more useful than some random blinking light - so you are saying I could plug the wideband in my extra bung I had installed (post turbo in the exhaust) for dyno tuning and then hook it up to the Apex'i - all for $199.

The thing I wonder about is you say it is "tuneable" - how do you nean - isn't it calibrated from the factory?

EDIT: after watching the video it all makes sense now - I'll be getting one of these for sure.

Now all I need is a tuning package for my ECU.
Posted By: Stazi Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 05:49 PM
Just watched the video and this thing looks awesome!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Just watched the video and this thing looks awesome!

Finally. I was trying to explain it. Your Apexi can datalog too right? You should be good to go.
The LC-1 can be configured from the laptop and the analog outputs can be "tuned" to meet the requirements of your Apexi sensor inputs. That's all I meant.
The real wideband datalogging is done on a laptop with the serial port cable. The software is convenient and can graph multiple inputs as well if you get or make something like the AUX box.
Posted By: Stazi Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 07:03 PM
The Apexi Turbo Timer doesn't datalog. I do have a different datalogger though that taps into the OBD2 port - so that is a problem as I wouldn't be able to do both at the same time.....or could I?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 07:16 PM
The Apexi Turbo Timer doesn't datalog. I do have a different datalogger though that taps into the OBD2 port - so that is a problem as I wouldn't be able to do both at the same time.....or could I?

Yes. It will run a narrow band sensor output, a wideband sensor output, AND has the serial datalink output for datalogging all at the same time.

I told you, $200 will be well spent on a proven product like this.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 10:01 PM
I've had the LM-1 unit about 2 years now. Installed and flawlessly functioning for all of those 2 years as well.
It is an excellent unit that has many capabilities that other units do not have. The completely computer programmable inputs and outputs make it bar none the best datalogging unit for the money.
Posted By: RyeLou Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/06/05 10:38 PM
Ryan who/where is this Rob guy and do you have any more info on his Wideband Kit?

Seems as though you're sold on the Innovative unit now, but I'll pass along what I know either way.

His name is Rob. Hes a guy I've met a handful of times now from a Michigan SRTs website. He owns and operates the company from that webpage. He designed the downpipe I have, blah blah blah. Anyhow, he lives out by where Brian used to live (696/94 area). The only info I have about that wideband kit is whats on his website. I do know that what he offers is a great price, and I know he had a few used ones last time I talked to him too. I'm sure you could find something from the manufacturer page. Very nice looking LCD display though. Let me know if you change your mind.
Posted By: Stazi Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/07/05 01:34 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
I've had the LM-1 unit about 2 years now. Installed and flawlessly functioning for all of those 2 years as well.
It is an excellent unit that has many capabilities that other units do not have. The completely computer programmable inputs and outputs make it bar none the best datalogging unit for the money.

Greg,
Does the LM-1 log the A/F against another variable, like RPM - or do you need the AuxBox for that? Does it just log the A/F against time?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/07/05 02:15 PM
Since greg is lazy, I'll answer for you.

The LM-1, meaning the handheld box logs against time unless you build a little signal to voltage converter. Greg did build one of these so he gets both.

If you want to use an LC-1 and don't have an added datalogger, then you will want to build something to provide RPM as well as the air fuel data. The LC-1 uses a DB9 pin seral connector and only the serial port send and recieve to log from the LC-1. You would have to build a datalink to log rpm though there are enough circuits on the web that you could copy if you have any electrical digital circuit experience.

With the LM1 you can log it versus as many sensors as you want up to whatever the maximum is. For tuning multiple cars, the LM-1 is the best way to go and probably worth the investment for as many cars as you play with if you felt like getting into tuning. You just need to tap as many sensors as you find necessary and feed them into the custom cable you will build for your LM1. THe RPM is the tricky one because it uses a frequency instead of a varying voltage. You have to make a frequency to voltage converter. THe other sensors you just can tap into in some cases.

****Sorry if it sounds complicated, it really isn't though. hope this helps****

Just FYI, this Basically is what Wayne of Hypillauto does. He uses an SCT Pro package (Dealer setup) and an LC-1 wired into it to tune and datalogg ford cars and sell tunes and chips.

I also saw a pair of dudes that did mobile tuning service go through texas. THey just called up performance shops as they drove around and set up appointments for the shops' customers that the shop didn't know how to tune. After they pretty much milked the local area of for people needing tunes, they drove off to another area.
Kind of a cool way to make money, Drive around in a Fast Mod'd car and earn your living working on them too. Actually they charged a lot of money too, like $50 an hour or so IIRC.
Armed with just an LM-1 I can tune any car that has an Apex-I or add on type of fuel computer. If the owner possesses tuning software it becomes easier. Something like the emanage allows a significant amount of tuning and those are quite popular in the import world.
With the SCT pro package (if I convert to dealer software) I can handle quite a few Fords too.
Posted By: Stazi Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/07/05 04:06 PM
Ok so the software with the LC-1 does NOT have a datalogging function at all?
If not - that sucks!

I would think that with the LC-1 connected to your laptop you could do what the LM-1 does, and log against time. Is not the signal to the standard tach a voltage signal or is it a frequency signal also?
Posted By: Barge Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/07/05 07:56 PM
Frequency Signal

I also believe the LC-1 does datalogging vs. time

Widebands are the most usefull when you can tie them into your other datalogging software anyway...
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/08/05 01:24 AM
Ok so the software with the LC-1 does NOT have a datalogging function at all?
If not - that sucks!

I would think that with the LC-1 connected to your laptop you could do what the LM-1 does, and log against time. Is not the signal to the standard tach a voltage signal or is it a frequency signal also?

Yes, the LC-1 dataloggs just like the LM-1 when using a laptop. The software can accept up to 5 additional inputs on top of the A/F input. It is very powerfull.

The signal is a frequency both to the pcm and to the tach.

Lookup the LM2907 or LM2907n. Those are TTL logic chips that convert frequency to a voltage with a simple circuit. You can look up a sample circuit for them from a chipmaker website and build your converter with simple parts from radio shack in about a half an hour. The total parts, including a hobby box would be less than $10. THe chips run about 50 cents to a dollar each.
Posted By: RyeLou Re: New(er?) wideband option - 12/10/05 04:13 AM
Theres a GB for the XD-1 on the SRT Forums I just found. Its been there since the 15th of Nov. and ends the 15th of Dec, so only a few days. The deal is $350 shipped as opposed to the normal $390 + shipping. I'm thinking of getting in on it. I like the XD-1 by far the most. And I trust Innovative.
© CEG Archives