Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: MazTour Turbo or supercharge? - 11/06/05 05:43 AM
Well here's the deal. I've parked my Duratec for the winter. Motor is going to come out,and the 2.5 will either be rebuilt and highly modified,or be replaced with a 3.0L and be highly modified. I figure while I'm ahead,I'll go all out,as this is the point of this project.

I don't need stupid crazy 10 sec. 1/4 mi power,but I want something usable,reliable,fast,fun and that won't break the bank. What would you do with the V6? Supercharge it,or turbo it? I'm leaning towards a supercharger,but I'd like to look into my options a little more. What's easier too,as I'll be doing the majority of the work myself.

Appreciated!
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/06/05 05:45 AM
if you want something reliable, then you definetely DONT want the Vorcrap. It can be made reliable, but by then, your looking at spending just as much as an ADC turbo kit, and still not making anywhere near the power under the curve as the turbo kit.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/06/05 05:53 AM
Turbo, hands down. Although, you said not breaking the bank...the turbo kits offered from ADC are top notch quality, but cost roughly $5,500. I remember someone here had a custom set-up but it slips my mind right now. No idea on how much power it produced or anything. And I wouldn't suggest it unless you know a great deal about Forced Induction and turbos, and how everything works.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/06/05 06:28 PM
I used to work at a shop that specialized in turbo work and chassis bracing. I primarily worked in the chassis bracing etc and didn't do much work with turbos myself. I could have them sort out the turbo kit for me.
Posted By: stilov Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/06/05 07:45 PM
Originally posted by TwoTwinTours:
I used to work at a shop that specialized in turbo work and chassis bracing. I primarily worked in the chassis bracing etc and didn't do much work with turbos myself. I could have them sort out the turbo kit for me.

You won't really get a lot of support to building your own set-up...b/c ADC has a good kit.

There are a small handful of people that have built their own, but if you have access to build the kit and to people that understand building kits...it's not much different than any other car. You may need some help with tuning, and then you could come here.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/07/05 12:19 AM
I'd prefer something to just bolt on,tune it if I have to and be done with it.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/07/05 01:02 AM

Neither the Vortech or ADC kit are just simple bolt on kits. Ive never installed a Vortech, but the ADC kit isnt too difficult as long as you have the right tools, especially when its comes to installing the turbo manifolds. Swivel head wrenches work wonders though. As far as tuning, youll definetely need a tune if going with the Vortech since they dont supply any kind of engine management to my knowledge. ADC of course supplies a chip.
Posted By: ZomzSVT Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/13/05 04:42 AM
Just as a curious question, is there a website available to check out the details of this ADC turbo kit? I searched google fairly briefly and didn't really find much...

HELP? thanks
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/13/05 05:55 AM

zex nitrous dry kit. Easy install no worries 75-100 hp on stock internals, much more if you build a 3L that can take it. Save yourself a few thousand dollars.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/13/05 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ZZCSVT:
Just as a curious question, is there a website available to check out the details of this ADC turbo kit? I searched google fairly briefly and didn't really find much...

HELP? thanks

www.arizonadynochip.com
Posted By: TGO Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/19/05 05:46 AM
considering the vortec has a 100% failure rate in it's stock form, i dont' see any other option than the turbo. Not to mentino you'll make more hp/tq as well.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/21/05 09:03 PM
thats a lot of money to turbo a car imo.. i hate having a SVT, makes me want to mod it, but then i wanna save for my Cobra.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/23/05 06:24 AM
What would be needed to make a stock SVT turbo-ready? the ADC kit is 5500 bucks already. I know you need a LSD which is about 1100. What else tho?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/23/05 03:29 PM
An upgraded clutch would help tremendously. A stock SVT clutch with low miles can(as Warmonger has proven) hold up to the power for a while.

Mark
Posted By: Tourige Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/23/05 07:19 PM
so just a clutch an an LSD?
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/23/05 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:
so just a clutch an an LSD?

A zetec FD would be of great benefit.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Turbo or supercharge? - 11/26/05 05:41 AM
Looking at the Jackson Racing supercharger right now. $2795 US from JR,and it comes with a 2 year 100k mi warranty. 6 to 8 hour bolt on application. Seems to make sense to me.
© CEG Archives