Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: bullion Looking for some advice... - 10/27/05 05:01 PM
Hey guys, it's been a while since I have posted due to my new job and recent purchase of a Mazda 6s. Any ways, I still kept the 98 CSVT and have made it my toy car. Any ways, I am toying with the idea of running some sort of forced induction setup and from what I have read, many of you guys prefer turbos but there are a few die-hard super charger guys out there as well. Honestly, I don't want to drop a ton of money into this project, but can I get a run down of some available turbo and supercharger kits out there (price and ease of installation would be a big deciding factor)?
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/27/05 05:04 PM
What are your goals? 1320? Road Course? If its just going to be 1/4.....nitrous.....road course, personally, I like the S/C. Day to day drivability and fun...t/c
Posted By: mamisano_dup1 Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/27/05 05:50 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but at this point in time there is only 1 Forced Induction kit on sale for the V6 'Tour, the ADC Turbo kit. Vortech has discontinued their S/C kit.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/27/05 06:21 PM
I'd take the turbo personally, just for a toy car. For something I would have to live with, blower all the way.
Posted By: bullion Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/27/05 07:51 PM
I don't know what 1320 means. But I can answer the other questions....this would not really be a car that I would be racing so you an take the 1/4 mile out or any other kind of competition driving. I pretty much just want the car to be fun when I drive it. With that in mind which would you say to go with? Also, of the two (SC or Turbo) which would have an easier installation and is one cheaper than the other after everything is installed?
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/27/05 08:22 PM
1320 feet in a quarter mile. Are you sure you searched for your answer on this? This question has already been asked and answered multiple times.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/27/05 11:41 PM
Originally posted by bullion:
I don't know what 1320 means. But I can answer the other questions....this would not really be a car that I would be racing so you an take the 1/4 mile out or any other kind of competition driving. I pretty much just want the car to be fun when I drive it. With that in mind which would you say to go with? Also, of the two (SC or Turbo) which would have an easier installation and is one cheaper than the other after everything is installed?

if you want something thats fun to drive, than hands down for the ADC turbo kit. I mean, after all you want to feel it in the seat of your pants right? Ive ridden in both turbo and sc'ed contours, and the turbo is so much more fun. The Vortech power comes in too late in the rpm range and makes so little torque, its boring imho. Give me something where Im gonna feel some torque and its gonna throw me back in my seat. Now thats fun!

SC will be easier to install since it doesnt come with headers, intercooler, etc like the ADC kit does. Thats not to say that you cant install a turbo kit on your own though.
Posted By: bullion Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 01:37 AM
Well, what about the cost of turbo vs. sc?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 01:39 AM
turbo hands down is the most powerfull and most fun.
IF sized right should get better off throttle gas mileage too.
Downsize is cost and complexity.
The supercharger compliments the stock engine very well and makes it just seem like its got an extra long flat torque curve. Still a potent performer but if all else is equal to include engine size and boost pressure, etc.; then the turbo wins in almost every category.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 02:20 AM

$5200 vs. $0

S/C kit no longer exists!
Posted By: 99cougar Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 02:25 AM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:

$5200 vs. $0

S/C kit no longer exists!

it exist...you just can't buy it "brand new from Vortec"
Posted By: bullion Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 02:57 PM
Well, given the amount of free time I have and I would probably have more success installing a sc rather than a turbo I am more interested in the sc at this point. I really don't car if the sc is new, just so long as it works and everything comes with it that I need to install it. How do I find more info on the sc? Like where to buy it and if I need to make any modifications to the stock engine to accomodate it.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 03:00 PM
Look at spending $1000+ to upgrade the jack-shaft in the S/C before you put it on, otherwise you'll join all the other saps who had the jackshaft fail on them.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Look at spending $1000+ to upgrade the jack-shaft in the S/C before you put it on, otherwise you'll join all the other saps who had the jackshaft fail on them.

If you can find one... since the SC is no longer supported by Vortec.
Posted By: bullion Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 04:43 PM
Where can I find a Vortec SC then? Also, what was all that talk about the Jackson Racing Supercharging kit? Is that worth looking into?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 04:56 PM
You're going to have to find the S/C used, plain and simple. Start searching the classifieds, ebay, FCO, etc. It's pretty much certain that you WILL strip the jack shaft, which is going to run you another $1000 down the road, unless you do it before you install. Not to mention the tune they give you was pretty generic IIRC. So look to spend some money getting it dyno tuned. After all that money you dumped on top of a used S/C kit, you'll get that sick to your stomach feeling when you see that you're putting out 280fwhp and 200fwtq, when for another $1000 or so, you could be putting down 350fwhp and 300+fwtq, with an awesome tune, better quality pieces, better gas mileage, and the ability to adjust boost settings with the turn of a dial.

Mark
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 04:58 PM
I thought Vortec was making the kits, but only as 'tuner' kits?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 05:32 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

From their web site - All products for Ford vehicles:

No Contour
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 05:56 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

From their web site - All products for Ford vehicles:

No Contour

Tuner Kit
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 06:56 PM
Does the tuner kit have a revised jack-shaft now? I haven't really kept up with it. So $3627.XX. I'll assume worse case scenerio and say another $1000.00 for the upgraded jack-shaft. Then tuning should fall in the $500-$700 range. Now you're up over $5000 for something that gets you pretty minimal gains for the $$. for the extra $700-$1000 with the ADC kit, you get headers, injectors(NOT A FRIGGIN' FMU!!!) and a tune!

Mark
Posted By: bullion Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 07:14 PM
Yeah that is a lot of money. What other options are out there that are less expensive? Or are you saying that if I found a used kit it would be much cheaper than the $4-$5k for a new SC kit?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 07:39 PM
Whenever I see used kits, they're usually selling in the $2500 range. Honestly, unless you're going to be in the boost for long periods of time with road courses, etc., I'd just spray some nitrous for a lot less money, and you can have just as much horsepower and twice the torque.

Mark
Posted By: mamisano_dup1 Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 08:27 PM
How about a 3L conversion and be done with it
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/28/05 08:54 PM
Wait, why pick only one form of FI? Do both!
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/29/05 05:27 AM
3L hybrid with a non-intercooled T4 at 30psi and a 125 shot of nitrous.

It would make about 850 HP for .0000012763 seconds. It would be the sh`t. Do it man!
Posted By: bullion Re: Looking for some advice... - 10/29/05 04:01 PM
I honestly, don't have the mechanic skills to do a 3L swap although I am the type of person who will give anything a try and usually succeed since I don't give up. Although, I remember hearing that the Contour SVT is actually a highly sought after car and might eventually become a collecter's car so I would want to keep the engine original since I plan to keep the car forever. That is why a turbo or SC sound good to me. Well....how much would a turbo kit cost me. It sounds like that might be tougher to install but worth it in the long run. Also, don't you have to make some engine upgrades to accomodate the turbo? If so, what are they?
© CEG Archives