Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Swazo Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/19/05 02:53 AM
I wasn't able to seal the heat wrap today, but it's all basicly done now

For those who don't know, I've fabricated my own turbo piping. The crossover piping and flanges are 321 stainless and the downpipe back is all 304L stainless. This kit uses modified MSDS headers. I used a ball type connector on the rear bank to allow expansion. As you can see, the wastegate is plumbed back into the downpipe to stay emissions friendly. I did everything from fitting the piping and tack welding it together, but I did have it all TIG welded by someone who knows how to weld well. Anyway, here are some pics

I'd like to thank Warmonger for basicly giving me the idea with his last setup, and for answering my odd ball questions here and there. Also, Stilov has been a huge help with various aspects of this project.
Posted By: obicanobi0_dup1 Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/19/05 03:07 AM
So you wnet right under the oil pan and in front of the subframe. Interesting, looks good none the less.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/19/05 03:34 AM
From what I've seen, ADC goes right under the oil pan too. My DP might get redone down the road a bit if I run into clearance issues.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/19/05 06:43 AM
If I were to put a tighter 90* and maybe a 45* to swing it in after the turbine, I could probably get the DP to exit through the subframe rather than around it. If I do encounter clearance issues, that's what I'll do. The DP is higher than my mirko, so I'm hoping for the best

Here is a pic without the turbo installed in the engine bay...
I used 2 45* bends rather than a 90* here, just incase I do want to run the DP under it.

I have a heat shield to protect the fan, radiator and wiring (which has also been wrapped in reflective wiring wrap to be on the analy safe side...), a heat blanket for the turbine and a stainless steel turbine/DP heat shield...
I hope to avoid ANY heat related issues.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/19/05 11:23 AM
Really nice! I was going to do the 3" transition on the downpipe but the ground clearance stopped me!
How are you planning on dealing with road obstacles?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/19/05 11:25 AM

It's actually a full 3" downpipe? Wow, nice creative way where you pulled it through the front and around the crossmember!

My only question is what about your AC system?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/19/05 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Swazo:
I'd like to thank Warmonger for basicly giving me the idea with his last setup, and for answering my odd ball questions here and there. Also, Stilov has been a huge help with various aspects of this project.

No problem! I am proud and really proud to see that you were very original about the way you took the good and then improved upon it in your own way. Very nice, can't wait to see the huge numbers.
Posted By: m!key Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/19/05 12:08 PM
straight under the gas tank. nice!
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/19/05 12:38 PM
Thats incredible, I love people who fabricate things for themselves!
Posted By: Swazo Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/19/05 03:47 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:

It's actually a full 3" downpipe? Wow, nice creative way where you pulled it through the front and around the crossmember!

My only question is what about your AC system?

Almost, it starts off as 2.5" but transitions to a 3" before the 90* bend around the subframe. The bulk of it is 3" though.

No A/C, that all went when the 2.5L got pulled. I never, ever used it. Originally I was going to clock my turbo and place it where the A/C compressor used to be. It's too big, but a T28 would fit IMO.... but that'd be too small for my 3L.

I'm 50/50 on how my downpipe is right now. I have a mirko that's molded on to my bumper and my car is lowered, so I have to be cautious of how I drive anyway. In theory.... I think it will work out as the DP still sits above the mirkos lowest point.
Posted By: Barge Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/19/05 11:39 PM
If at all possible I'd find a way to connect the wastegate dump to the downpipe smoother... but it does look pretty tight in there.

My WRX is getting an atmospheric wastegate dump Not like I have any cats anyway.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/20/05 12:25 AM
He can still put in a better turn for it but it complicates things a little.

Yeah, atmospheric is good stuff. Car sounds all tame until the wastegate opens then it sounds like a very open exhaust.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/20/05 12:47 AM
My biggest worry is to get this beyotch to pass saftey & emissions, after that I can find a fairly mod friendly place over the next year or there is a chance I may buy a home in a different county that does only saftey inspections

I'd be all for an atmosphere dump, my DP would be of a much better design!

All I have to do now is clean up my half a$$ed base tune from Modular Depot and I'm set.

Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/20/05 12:58 AM
What does the saftey inspection entail? How is the operator to know that your system is 'safe' (we know it is, but how does he?) just curious
Posted By: Swazo Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/20/05 01:26 AM
It'd basicly be dependant on if it is emissions compliant or not. I know people who've done swaps in their hon-duh, and they just needed to meet the emission output levels their stock engine would put out. Saftey is the basic crap like seat belts, brakes, turn signals, ect.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/26/05 05:43 AM
OK, I have decided to change the routing on my downpipe. I have what I need on-hand, so no real biggie. I will be loosing the 90* bend that routes around the subframe and will be replacing it with 2 45's that will route it through the subframe and under the crossover pipe. That will make it possible to retain the wastegate dump, even though I'd like an atmosphere dump to give it a meaner sound... I'll be doing this at night, during the week..... so wish me luck

Would it be a better design to have the wastegate dump into the DP, angled to flow with the flow of exhaust? Right now it shoots into the path, rather than with it.
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/26/05 12:36 PM
Are both cylinder banks feeding the turbo? I dunno why, but I can't seem to picture the uppiping.
Posted By: Barge Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/26/05 02:14 PM
Would it be a better design to have the wastegate dump into the DP, angled to flow with the flow of exhaust? Right now it shoots into the path, rather than with it.

You want the wastegate to enter the downpipe at the shallowest angle possible... so that would be a yes to that question.

You also want it to join as far back as possible.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/26/05 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Derk2000:
Are both cylinder banks feeding the turbo? I dunno why, but I can't seem to picture the uppiping.

Yes, this pic was from the passanger side facing towards the drivers side. You can see the rear bank trail off to the left along with the downpipe. You can also see the front bank come down and merge with the rear bank.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/26/05 02:36 PM
Originally posted by WRX Barge:

You want the wastegate to enter the downpipe at the shallowest angle possible... so that would be a yes to that question.

You also want it to join as far back as possible.

Cool, thanks for the input! I might just vent to atmosphere to make it easier.... and sound cooler
Posted By: Barge Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/26/05 03:33 PM
Just remember it will be loud.. of course since I don't mind loud i'm doing the atmospheric dump... but i've been called crazy before too...
Posted By: 99cougar Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/26/05 04:58 PM
i'd say screw it and go with an atmospheric dump!

PS make a video when your done!!!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Pics of my turbo piping...... - 09/26/05 10:23 PM
You can do atmo. dump or just pipe the wastegate pipe further back and then join in on the other side of the motor. This will allow you to use small pipe under the car and improve ground clearance.
© CEG Archives