Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 What does your Walbro sound like? - 09/17/05 07:20 AM
I went a little nuts and picked up a 255lph Walbro fuel pump. To those that have done the upgrade, what does yours sound like? The sound on mine varies at about a 2Hz rate. The fuel pressure also varies about 1psi at the same rate.

It is WAY too loud so I'm going to get a 190lph unit and swap it out. I knew it was overkill.

Do you think that the change in pitch/pressure is because this unit is just way to big for my system? Or is there something wrong with the unit itself?

BTW, I also have an Aeromotive FPR.

Thanks,
Ben
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: What does your Walbro sound like? - 09/17/05 12:44 PM
They are all noisy.

When you have a full tank you don't hear it. It is only when you get down to about 1/4 tank that it sets up a good whine.
I monitored the fuel pressures with it on my system and the fuel pressure regulator still regulates to 45psi at idle, just like stock and 55psi wide open throttle. I can't see it being too big for the system if the pressures are still being where they are supposed to be. If it was too much the regulator would be wide open and the pressure at idle would be higher than 45psi. THEN you would have to change it.
If you don't need that much pump then don't used it. Are you return style or returnless. I didn't look at your info.
I'm return style. '96 Zetec. I'm bulletproofing my fuel system before the turbo upgrade.

BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: What does your Walbro sound like? - 09/17/05 08:48 PM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
I'm return style. '96 Zetec. I'm bulletproofing my fuel system before the turbo upgrade.

BP

Really didn't need a 255lph pump though!
I know.

Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
I knew it was overkill.

I'm going to swap it out with a 190lph when I have the cash.

BP
Posted By: Seawulf_dup1 Re: What does your Walbro sound like? - 09/18/05 11:21 AM
Why do you want to swap out something smaller? A 255 Walbro isn't unheard of for custom setups on the Focaljet. How much HP do you want?

My exhaust is fully 3" and that's overkill for my setup, but no way am I going to downgrade to something smaller. Granted if I had to do it over, I probably wouldn't go that big, but what's done is done. And I guarantee my exhaust is louder than your fuel pump.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: What does your Walbro sound like? - 09/19/05 12:43 AM
If it works, just leave it. Things will be getting louder with every upgrade as Seawulf pointed out.
Actually, now that I have the body gasket back in, it's not too bad. Once I have the rear seat bottom back in, it should be pretty tolerable.

I'm shooting for no more than 200WHP with my current near-stock Zetec/ATX combo. I figure any more than that and I'm asking for trouble. I'm going to try to limit myself to around 6psi as my daily driver. ...even though I have a spare motor and tranny.

BTW, I also have a 3" exhaust. My friend with a '69 Camaro laughed his azz off when he saw this...

As with the fuel pump, it's overkill now but will be perfect when the turbo is on.

Thanks guys.

Later,
Ben
Posted By: Seawulf_dup1 Re: What does your Walbro sound like? - 09/19/05 07:25 AM
Ooh, very nice.

Personally I think even a stock fuel pump would be good for 200whp. That's why you put in 42lb injectors, so you can keep the fuel pressure stock, but yeah keep it if you've got it.

I'd be more worried about the ATX. But totally stock the Zetec can do 200whp easy. If properly tuned.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: What does your Walbro sound like? - 09/19/05 11:21 AM
that 200 will turn into 250 pretty quick if he tunes it right!

I know the addiction of power. As soon as someone takes you its over.
Originally posted by Seawulf:
I'd be more worried about the ATX.

Me too.

I know that it's days are going to be numbered as soon as I throw on the turbo. I'm doing as much as I can to keep it alive. 24,000GVW B&M Supercooler, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, and I'm probably going to throw an upgraded valvebody on (about $200 according to unisys).

Warmonger, I know what you mean about power. I've never owned a car that wasn't underpowered. Having something that is actually fun to drive will be a nice change. I don't have a backup car so I'm going to have to be conservative on the boost. We'll see how long that lasts.

BP
Posted By: DanG Re: What does your Walbro sound like? - 09/19/05 03:33 PM
Mine's not loud- Nice little whine, but honestly it's overshadowed by the intercooler pump, even as it's mounted under the car!
Posted By: svtProdigy Re: What does your Walbro sound like? - 09/19/05 04:34 PM
mine whines really loud...
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: What does your Walbro sound like? - 09/19/05 04:35 PM
You should hear one of the local guys with his Supra (the one in the pics of the CU car show I posted). Dual Walbros. WOW!
Posted By: Seawulf_dup1 Re: What does your Walbro sound like? - 09/20/05 07:07 AM
It's not the boost so much as how you drive it. With gas prices being what they are I rarely take it past 3000rpms these days. Full spool is 2700rpms and that's around 180wtq right there.

So put on a small turbo, with quick spool, pushing 9psi or so and an easy 200whp and just don't thrash it much and it will last. The engine at least, yeah the tranny is another story. But go for it, show us how much the stock ATX can take.
© CEG Archives