Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 2slowtour nitrous question - 09/15/05 07:50 AM
Im fixing to spray the svt i was wondering what is the max shot you can do on a midly modded svt .In the meaning of being safe and not braking anything. my friend is spraying this cougar with a 50 and it holds up fine . thanks for your time phil
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: nitrous question - 09/15/05 12:25 PM
here
here
here
Posted By: 99cougar Re: nitrous question - 09/15/05 02:10 PM
Posted By: darpinian Re: nitrous question - 09/15/05 05:46 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
here
here
here

Just for the ignorant, the process used was search, copy, paste, search, copy, paste, search, copy, paste. Now he could have just answered your question but that would have been too nice and probably would have been followed by another already answered(a billion times) question. He could have stoned you mercilessly (which others will do) but that would have made you leave the site, or sink into a state of hibernation/troll. Moral of the story, you should thank him. Thank him twice.

~darp~
and send me money for pointing out the obvious

Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: nitrous question - 09/15/05 06:22 PM
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: nitrous question - 09/15/05 07:54 PM
Originally posted by darpinian:
here
here
here

Just for the ignorant, the process used was search, copy, paste, search, copy, paste, search, copy, paste. Now he could have just answered your question but that would have been too nice and probably would have been followed by another already answered(a billion times) question. He could have stoned you mercilessly (which others will do) but that would have made you leave the site, or sink into a state of hibernation/troll. Moral of the story, you should thank him. Thank him twice.

~darp~
and send me money for pointing out the obvious

Or you could just ramble out a paragraph and answer nothing.

Rule concerning nitrous, you can use a shot equal to half the HP output your engine has. So an SVT has 200HP so 100 shot is max. Would I ever consider a 100 shot? NEVER! I would suggest a 50 shot. And maybe if you did a 3L upgrade and some intake/exhaust mods maybe a 75 shot at most. And remember, a nitrous kit isn't just slapping it on and go...Hope this helps.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: nitrous question - 09/15/05 08:02 PM
So, if you wouldn't run 50< shot on a 2.5L why run a bigger shot on a 3.0L with the same internals? Myself and others have run just a tad under a 100hp shot with no problems. Matt (DukeofSHO) has a ZEX kit on his car and I believe he runs a 75-100 hp.

Originally posted by posthuman63t:

Rule concerning nitrous, you can use a shot equal to half the HP output your engine has. So an SVT has 200HP so 100 shot is max. Would I ever consider a 100 shot? NEVER! I would suggest a 50 shot. And maybe if you did a 3L upgrade and some intake/exhaust mods maybe a 75 shot at most. And remember, a nitrous kit isn't just slapping it on and go...Hope this helps.

Posted By: tropictour Re: nitrous question - 09/15/05 08:28 PM
Isnt Y2KSVT running an equivilent to a 125 shot with the Venom 2000?
-tropictour
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: nitrous question - 09/15/05 08:39 PM
I don't believe so. It was my understanding that he was running at I believe 30%, and it was about a 90-100hp shot.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: nitrous question - 09/15/05 11:57 PM
So, if you wouldn't run 50< shot on a 2.5L why run a bigger shot on a 3.0L with the same internals? Myself and others have run just a tad under a 100hp shot with no problems. Matt (DukeofSHO) has a ZEX kit on his car and I believe he runs a 75-100 hp.

Originally posted by posthuman63t:

For someone who isn't familiar with nitrous, I'd suggest not running the max shot possible. (im refering to the original poster, not you) Your asking for trouble.
And who said the 2.5L and 3L internals would be the same. Many people upgrade several parts for their 3L.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: nitrous question - 09/16/05 02:04 PM
I haven't really had the nitrous running right yet. Since the VCN-2000 kit rates their nitrous in percentage(%), and not horsepower(ie: 25,50,75,100 shots), it's hard to get an idea of what sort of shot I was running. I'm sure that with it running properly, at 50% I would be well over the 300fwhp mark. Doing 206 N/A, that makes my gains over 100hp to the wheels, which means >100 shot.

Posthuman:
SVT Contour = 200HP
Most 3.0L's = 200HP

You're correct with the general rule of thumb, 50% of what your original engines HP, is a good reference on how much nitrous it "should" be able to handle. A lot of people get the misconception that you can just throw the kit on your car with no tuning, and have yourself a grand ol' time. I would suggest getting the car on the nitrous before you go out spraying on the street.

Mark
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: nitrous question - 09/16/05 03:14 PM
I have a zetec and have run 100HP shots many times.
But 95% of the time its 65HP.
Its all about tuning.
If you don't plan on alot of time into tuning/safety, run 50% of BHP or less.
Posted By: evocontour Re: nitrous question - 09/20/05 01:30 AM
Right from the arcane books of wisdom at NOS. Reccommended ratings for engine size by cylinder.
4 - 50hp
6 - 75hp
8 and up 100-125hp
The tuning is done for you as long as you purchase a kit. They are tested and dyno'd on other stock vehicles that the kit was designed for. Now the only things I would reccommend upgrading is your FUEL PUMP and spark plugs(colder range). Most stock pumps run out of room very close to stock power limits. This is where the REAL danger lies with nitrous use. Run lean and your engine is toast. As long as you run good fuel - 93 octane or better, you shouldn't have any problems with detonation with a 50-75hp shot. Of course if you have a long runner intake I would run a dry nitrous kit so the fuel doesn't sperate from the mixture as velocity drops off in the long runners(as seen with wet nitrous kit use).
© CEG Archives