Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Swazo Intercooler pump wiring - 09/05/05 08:26 AM
I've never done much wiring, and could use some help coming up with the best way to wire up my intercooler pump.

What I want to do is run it with a boost switch so that it only runs when at a set boost level. I also would like to have a bypass toggle switch to be able to run it at will.

What is the best way to get do this? This is one of the last things I need to get done, and I don't want to cook anything and delay my car's rebirth even more than it has been already
Posted By: stilov Re: Intercooler pump wiring - 09/05/05 04:13 PM
IC pump
|
|\
| \
T B
| /
|/
|
12 v SOURCE

T-toggle switch
B-boost switch
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Intercooler pump wiring - 09/05/05 04:32 PM
Why would you want a boost switch? So sitting at a stop light you have no cirulation? I drove with the pump off to see what would happen once. I could hear the intercooler BOILING in the garage when I got back. This will happen when you are at an intersection or heavy traffic.
Posted By: stilov Re: Intercooler pump wiring - 09/05/05 04:36 PM
really? screw a boost switch then!!!

Does the ADC kit have a temp switch to turn it on or just a toggle?

I wondered about that actually.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Intercooler pump wiring - 09/05/05 04:48 PM
OK, boost switch gets the ax! I take it the pump should just run all the time?
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Intercooler pump wiring - 09/05/05 05:35 PM
I just ran off of a key on hot to a relay.
Posted By: stilov Re: Intercooler pump wiring - 09/05/05 05:38 PM
Well it's decided...always on. Anyone want a boost activated switch? I used it previously on my IC spayer...it's adjustable from 5-15psi or clsoe to that. I had it set at about 7psi to turn on.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Intercooler pump wiring - 09/05/05 06:43 PM
Originally posted by stilov:
Well it's decided...always on. Anyone want a boost activated switch? I used it previously on my IC spayer...it's adjustable from 5-15psi or clsoe to that. I had it set at about 7psi to turn on.

Why not use it to make a multi-stage boost controller? You already have the main part of that circuit.
Posted By: stilov Re: Intercooler pump wiring - 09/05/05 07:24 PM
I could...but I am probably going to get a nicer boost controller anyway.
Posted By: DanG Re: Intercooler pump wiring - 09/05/05 11:41 PM
I'll take it - Water/alcohol injection is my next step... PM please!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Intercooler pump wiring - 09/06/05 01:21 AM
Yeah, bad idea to have no circulation.
I'm going to be installing a solid state controller for mine that runs it at low speed at idle and high speed for thottle positions over 50%. It will also shut off automatically whenever the engine is not running. Of course it isn't done yet. It will help the longevity of the pump and not kill the battery if you are KOEO.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Intercooler pump wiring - 09/06/05 10:03 PM
Cool, that sounds like an ideal setup.

I think I'm going to just start out with Painless Wiring's EWP relay kit.
© CEG Archives