Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Swazo NGK "extreme" iridium plugs (TR55IX) - 09/01/05 07:31 AM
Since I'm at a higher altitude, I got the stock heat range. Stilov played with colder plugs, and found the stock heat range to be better for as high as we are in Salt Lake City, Utah.

He was running less boost with his old setup, but had a higher CR and a "decent" air to air top mount IC. I have about 9.5-9.75:1 and will be running a bit more boost.... but with what should be a really efficiant water to air IC.

What are some thoughts about this?
Posted By: Stazi Re: NGK "extreme" iridium plugs (TR55IX) - 09/01/05 12:14 PM
They're the plugs I use.
looser

Posted By: Stazi Re: NGK "extreme" iridium plugs (TR55IX) - 09/01/05 12:41 PM
What's looser? The nut behind your steering wheel?
Posted By: Swazo Re: NGK "extreme" iridium plugs (TR55IX) - 09/01/05 03:40 PM
Ah, good to know! Non-intercooled, but w/water injection and a higher CR......

Ok, that makes me feel a lot better
Nippondenso
Posted By: Swazo Re: NGK "extreme" iridium plugs (TR55IX) - 09/02/05 01:11 AM
If they weren't so expensive, I would have got them. But for $5.50 each, the NGK's were hard to pass up.
Posted By: stilov Re: NGK "extreme" iridium plugs (TR55IX) - 09/02/05 01:51 AM
Aren't they the same? Kind of like Ford and Autolite?
Ha. You I never said YOUR name combined with the word looser...got a complex I see.

I'm just messing with you. How do you like your irridiums and what makes them better than plats?
Posted By: stilov Re: NGK "extreme" iridium plugs (TR55IX) - 09/02/05 01:54 AM
I 'thought' the iridiums would hold up at a smaller point so it makes a little more complete combustion b/c it sparks more of a sphere pattern than half a sphere...is that clear?
No. Spark energy is what I'd be concerned with. Shape of the spark would be a bonus though. Just think, splitfires sold millions based on the shape of the spark but manufacturers still went back to standard single electrode.
Posted By: stilov Re: NGK "extreme" iridium plugs (TR55IX) - 09/02/05 02:08 AM
ya but part of Splitfire was that you got a bigger spark (or a v) due to the split...that isn't the way electricity travels...it takes the path of least resistance... (same with plat 2 and 4's)

Anyway...I imagine there is a longevity benefit as well...in fact that is what I always heard was the benefit of copper v. plat...hence the auto companies 'upping' the tune up mileage...most guys I know running FI use copper...ADC recommended and Audi tech that races his S4 runs copper in his car...all the LS1 guys are running copper...and they cae with plat from the factory.

I just figured if you change them as much as I do...why run anything but copper?

© CEG Archives