Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: striker2 proper turbo setup - 07/07/05 04:41 PM
im going to turbo my 97 gl but i need to know what the best location for the turbo is and how big of an intercooler will fit up front. Im goiong to be using a used TE04H turbo but i need to find a rebuild kit. Anyody know where i can get one? i would also like to know what the best intake setup would be. the compressor inlet will be facing the right side of the car and the outlet will be facing the front of the car. any info and pics would be very helpfull thanks.
Posted By: Stazi Re: proper turbo setup - 07/07/05 04:59 PM
Try searching this forum!

You want to put a T4 onto a 4cyl (assumed from the fact you have a GL)?

You are in way over your head.

At least buy the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell and read up on this because it's obvious you're going in totally blind from the turbo you picked for starters, as well as the other vague question you threw out there.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/07/05 07:48 PM
You could get a V6 GL in 97 stripped out. Vewy vewy rare. I'm guessing his isn't though.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: proper turbo setup - 07/08/05 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Plain ole' todras:
You could get a V6 GL in 97 stripped out. Vewy vewy rare. I'm guessing his isn't though.

I wondered if they were real, there's a tour out near me for sale, the badge was GL, but had the 24v dohc emblem, and i wasn't sure if it was a real or not. Guess it's real.
Posted By: striker2 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/08/05 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Stazi:
Try searching this forum!

You want to put a T4 onto a 4cyl (assumed from the fact you have a GL)?

You are in way over your head.

At least buy the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell and read up on this because it's obvious you're going in totally blind from the turbo you picked for starters, as well as the other vague question you threw out there.

im going up to UTI (Universal Technical Institute) in Chicago for auto training plus the Hot Rod U/Super Street in december. i will have the ability to put it on the dyno and tune it to get the boost perfect and to make a custom manifold, exhaust, and intake.

this is a small turbo capable of maybe 10-15 psi boost perfect for what i want to do (i only need about 10-12 psi to reach 200 hp). i'm aware that i would need a custom exhaust manifold and intake. my question is just what is the best way to route the intake?
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/08/05 02:44 AM
Originally posted by striker2:

this is a small turbo capable of maybe 10-15 psi boost perfect for what i want to do (i only need about 10-12 psi to reach 200 hp). i'm aware that i would need a custom exhaust manifold and intake. my question is just what is the best way to route the intake?

that turbo is HUGE! If thats a 4 cylinder, youll probably just start spooling the turbo at 4,000 rpms. I suggest you may want to take a set back and think again about what your doing here, because youve picked one of the biggest turbos for your platform.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/08/05 03:43 AM
Are you sure your thinking of the right turbo? Here's a map for a TE04H-13C.

It would actually almost be too small for a Zetec. At a PR of 1.5, at 6500rpms, you would hit 0.135m3/s. That's on the very edge of the map. It would be fully spooled by 1500rpm.

At a PR of 2.0, it would spool by 1900rpms but fall off the map at 5700rpms. A little small for that much boost.

If he's planning on sticking with the stock head, cam, and intake, it should be pretty perfect. There's really no room for expansion though.

BP
Posted By: Stazi Re: proper turbo setup - 07/08/05 01:54 PM
Yeah but he'll superheat the air and effectively render the added boost useless, seeing as he is going to be WAY out of the compressor efficiency.
Posted By: striker2 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/08/05 04:39 PM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
Are you sure your thinking of the right turbo? Here's a map for a TE04H-13C.

If he's planning on sticking with the stock head, cam, and intake, it should be pretty perfect. There's really no room for expansion though.

BP

Thank you buttonpuncher for backing me up on this. i do plan to stay with stock head, and cam.

the turbo is off an 89 plymouth voyager with the chrysler 2.5 turbo. i wont superheat the air if i send it through an intercooler
Posted By: Stazi Re: proper turbo setup - 07/08/05 05:11 PM
A 16 y.o. turbo!?

Man that thing is bound to be worn out.

YOu're better off finding a newer Garrett GT-25 off an Gen 2 DSM. Those are pretty easy to find, and are good for up to 14psi.
Posted By: 99cougar Re: proper turbo setup - 07/08/05 05:50 PM
i would find a T3 of an old Saab, and that way you wouls still have room for some more power.
Posted By: striker2 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/09/05 11:45 AM
hence the reason i need a rebuild kit. the turbo is in amazing condition considering its 16 yrs old. no bent or briken fins on either the turbine or the compresor and has very little shaft play.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/09/05 07:42 PM
A 16 y.o. turbo!?

Man that thing is bound to be worn out.

YOu're better off finding a newer Garrett GT-25 off an Gen 2 DSM. Those are pretty easy to find, and are good for up to 14psi.

Either that or pick up a 14B from a Gen 1 DSM.

More then enough airflow (~420cfm at 15psi) to make you happy!

The T25's are tiny!!! (~330cfm IIRC)

Now a pair of T25's on a Duratec though...
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/09/05 08:03 PM
$80 on Ebay. Do it!

I don't want to be the 3rd turbo Zetec on the boards, but the more the merrier.

BTW, for everyday driving, your TE04H will be a ton of fun.

HTH,
BP
Posted By: striker2 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/09/05 08:31 PM
again thank you buttonpuncher.
just for the record the turbo was free. i pulled it off myself. the van had been donated to my school and my teacher let me have the turbo. by the way, does anyone know where i can get a rebuild kit for the turbo there are a few on ebay but i want to try and find one locally (Louisville Ky.) or even nearby. i dont want to have it shipped to far. bad things can happen with the USPS.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/10/05 02:34 AM
Maybe a Dodge dealership? It doesn't hurt to call around.

If you don't live in an apartment, I wouldn't be too worried about USPS loosing it. Also, the parts are pretty indestructable.

BP
Posted By: Stazi Re: proper turbo setup - 07/10/05 01:36 PM
Rebuilt turbnos don't usually fare well, because the shaft will bend when there is excessive play in the bearings, due to the extremely high rpms and corresponding centrifugal forces put onto the impellers. And once they bend they will wobble no matter if the bearings are new or old.

You're better off forgetting that old POS and getting a 14B or even a 16G off ebay.
Posted By: striker2 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/10/05 02:42 PM
i work at a GM dealership and the parts guy called the local chrysler guys and they said that they dont even rebuild any of their turbos. they send them off to Daimler Chrysler and get remains.

ive had the turbo apart and looked at all the parts. the shaft is perfectly straight, at least as far as i could tell.

for the custom manifold i can get stainless exhaust tubing for cheap. 10 Ft of 2in tubeing for about $8. the only thing im worried about finding is the intake tubeing and the rebuild kit.

oh yeah quick question. what size intercooler will fit up front. i need to know so that i can get the right one. if no one knows off hand i can go do some measuring and find out.
Posted By: striker2 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/10/05 02:50 PM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
$80 on Ebay. Do it!

I don't want to be the 3rd turbo Zetec on the boards, but the more the merrier.

BTW, for everyday driving, your TE04H will be a ton of fun.

HTH,
BP

actually im watching this one.
TE04h kit
Posted By: 24.2quick4u Re: proper turbo setup - 07/11/05 02:49 AM
i would not waste my time paying to have that turbo rebuilt and balanced by the time u do that u will have enough money in it to have just bought many other stock turbos in good condition. i would go with the suggestion from many others of the 14b from a 1g dsm or find a t3 from a saab,t-bird turbo coupe or mustang svo all good turbos with great efficiency for sub 14psi
Posted By: turbotrix Re: proper turbo setup - 07/11/05 03:18 AM
Id take a 14b of a 1G DSM (5spd only) autos are 13g.
Cost of a turbo rebuild is insane compaird to the cost of a good shape used one.

If you went on to ca.dsm.org to there forum , You could pick up a 14b for 175$cdn

A fairly well rounded turbo , TD05H compressor.

Save your self some coin and run off a DSM a (1g bov hold 21psi , 1g ICooler , 14b turbo ) pick it all up for under $300cdn .
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/11/05 03:53 AM
Don't uses any DSM bypass.
The 1G can do maybe 16-18psi when crushed but it leaks like a sieve at nearly any psi level.

Same with any DSM intercooler. Small & inefficient.
You are better off running 2-3psi less boost then having the intercooler drop 2-3psi across it. That's after you find a place to mount it where is gets airflow.

If you want an air to air get a small flat Spearco (their 4x6x18 IIRC) or angle fit a StarQuest FMIC. You will have issues with airflow to the radiator and subsequent piping though.

Remember with any F/I setup you would be running the thicker SVT radiator anyway unless you were quite insane.
Posted By: ButtonPuncher_dup1 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/11/05 04:22 AM
If you do decide on getting another turbo, the FocalJet forums have a T3 60 Trim with internal wategate and actuator. The guy is asking $450 without shipping which is pretty steep. I got my T3 Super60 for $420 shipped.

The nice thing about the T3 is that if you decide to go for more boost later, you can upgrade to a T04 compressor.

BP
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: proper turbo setup - 07/11/05 04:37 AM
T3-60 maxes at 400cfm. (~18psi)
T3-S60 at 440cfm (~20psi)

The simple 14B I mentioned does 400cfm at 11psi, 440cfm at 15psi, and maxes at 490cfm. (~19psi)
Posted By: Stazi Re: proper turbo setup - 07/11/05 12:33 PM
Greg, I ran the 1G CBV (uncrushed!) to 18psi on my 97 GSX and it didn't leak. the 2G It came with was a complete POS!

I too switched to a Starion FMIC with a flipped tank to suit my DSM layout. It worked awesome.

I have old pics of my setup if you ever want to see them.

I miss that car.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: proper turbo setup - 07/11/05 02:19 PM
I have old pics of my setup if you ever want to see them.

SHOW! SHOW! SHOW! We all want to see

Mark
Posted By: Stazi Re: proper turbo setup - 07/11/05 03:16 PM
Hang on. I'll upload them to fototime.
Posted By: Stazi My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/11/05 03:33 PM

Intelligent IC Water Sprayer (from Australia)

Water sprayer installed behind mesh.
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/11/05 04:13 PM
Oddly enough, i have been thinking about selling my SVT and picking up a 2nd gen GSX or a AWD TSI. What inspired you make the transition from AWD to WWD?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/11/05 05:30 PM
Crank walk.
Posted By: Stazi Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/11/05 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Plain ole' todras:
Crank walk.

Exactly
Posted By: Swazo Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/11/05 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Quick_SVT:
Oddly enough, i have been thinking about selling my SVT and picking up a 2nd gen GSX or a AWD TSI. What inspired you make the transition from AWD to WWD?

I also had a mod'd 2nd Gen GSX, before my CSVT. I had a lot of recalls done (one for the transfercase because they were locking up @ freeway speeds on other cars ) The 1st Gen's had the larger bearing 4G63, better turbo, better BOV, better IC...... well they were just a lot better cars. 2nd Gen DSM's just look better.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/11/05 05:59 PM
I was actually looking for a GST or GSX before i found my CSVT.
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/11/05 06:05 PM
Couldn't the crankwalk problem be remedied by a 1st gen long block?
Posted By: BlackwidowSVTT Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/11/05 06:17 PM
I own both, a 97 GSX and a Turbo SVT Contour. I can gladly say my car will walk it. But it is very fast stock and with $1500 in mods, look out ! Now only if my wife would let me modded it ! Its her's for now -B.
Posted By: Stazi Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/11/05 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Quick_SVT:
Couldn't the crankwalk problem be remedied by a 1st gen long block?

Yes but it's not exactly a direct drop-in, and at the time I was still a newbie with cars and wasn't up to ripping apart my only car to try and build a hybrid motor for it.

Looking back I should've kep it.

From what I've read a possible reason for the crank walk is the piston oil squirters failing and staying open ALL the time even at idle and low oil pressure, thus starving the mains of oil and thus allowinf excessive wear to the thrust bearings.

I'm not sure if they REALLY know what the solution is, but the 1st Gen swap was popular among the OG's in the DSM crowd.

If I could find one that was in good condition for a reasonable price I'd buy it. The 1st Gen's look like poo - so I wouldn't even bother with one.
Posted By: Quick_SVT Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/11/05 06:46 PM
I agree the 1st gens are pretty fugly, although i kinda like the 1gen TSI AWD. I love the 2nd gen's!

Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/11/05 07:30 PM
Originally posted by SVT Driver627:
I was actually looking for a GST or GSX before i found my CSVT.

I had an Eclipse before I had the Conquest TSi before I had the SVT.

I liked the Conquest the best out of the three but the maintenance was deadly. (typical Mitsubishi )
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/12/05 01:54 AM
Stazi, so which is faster? I mean I know the GSX will tear it up from a stop (it is AWD right?) but which car is actually faster just running down the street or on the highway?
I swapped cars with my buddy back in 2003 for a couple of hours. He had a stock 2002 330HP firebird with about 15K miles on it and I drove it for about 4 hours while he drove my turbo 3L on 6psi. It was interesting. Very similar performance. He missed the low-end take off grunt/traction of his firebird but loved the acceleration/passing power of my car as well as the handling. I noticed that mine felt a bit stronger at 6 psi on the highway and totally outhandled the firebird, but from a stop I couldn't touch it on the launch. So it was a nice fast car but the engine is the only really nice thing about it. My car killed it in every other category (visibility, braking, shifting handling, etc.)

So I wonder, which car is actually better in all categories, which one is more fun to drive. Which is more practical.
Your 2.5 turbo or your GSX?
Posted By: striker2 Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/12/05 02:20 AM
you know whats really fun to drive are the new 05 vettes. 1st gear does at least 45 mph and they handle really well also. i got to drive one at work. ah the advantiges of being a technician. then i got to deliver it to the guy who had us work on it. they're a lot of fun. you should go test drive one sometime.

also i just had a thought about my turbo setup. what if i run a water/air intercooler instead of an air/air intercooler. then i wouldnt have to mount it up front blocking the radiotor. how efficient are they. its just a thought.
Posted By: turbotrix Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/12/05 07:13 AM
The 1g bov crushed has been proven to handel 21psi with out leaking , Its the 2g BOVs that were made of plastic that sucked .

as for the comment on the IC i can agree, But if your looking for some thing cheap and still good then its a option

Im glad to see Im not the only person to go from a DSM to a contour. mine was a 91 AWD 5spd white 2g are nice but 1gs look mean

Any ways the 14b (TD05H) would start to crap out past 16psi in the higher RPM . Has any one thought of maybe grabing 2 8b turbos from a 3000gt make a TT 2.5 ?
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/12/05 01:05 PM
Originally posted by turbotrix:
Has any one thought of maybe grabing 2 8b turbos from a 3000gt make a TT 2.5 ?

Umm... do a search for twin turbo. You will see why.
Posted By: Stazi Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/12/05 05:00 PM
The SVT has a better top-end, but the GSX would crush it from the light and basically would kill it in the 1/4.

If both carrs were crusing at 100mph down the-way my SVT would walk my old GSX all the way to 150mph.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/12/05 08:06 PM
Originally posted by turbotrix:
Any ways the 14b (TD05H) would start to crap out past 16psi in the higher RPM .

Your BOV was leaking or the turbo was.

A solid 14B can make power up to 18 maybe 19psi before it's doing nothing but pushing hot air.

Since the engine is question a 2L Zetec with HIGHER COMPRESSION then the 4G63 the 14B will defintely make more power then they can handle.

I can't believe how many DSM owners swear by the so so 1G BOV. It's decent for a stock valve but it's not that great.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/12/05 08:49 PM
Originally posted by striker2:
you know whats really fun to drive are the new 05 vettes. 1st gear does at least 45 mph and they handle really well also. i got to drive one at work. ah the advantiges of being a technician. then i got to deliver it to the guy who had us work on it. they're a lot of fun. you should go test drive one sometime.

also i just had a thought about my turbo setup. what if i run a water/air intercooler instead of an air/air intercooler. then i wouldnt have to mount it up front blocking the radiotor. how efficient are they. its just a thought.

I used to be a tech for a Chevy/Infinity dealership about 10 years ago. I had the pleasure of driving vettes then (as a young azzed PUNK! ) not to mention a couple of Corvette ZR-1's
I remember having to test drive one because the owner (old azsed man) kept complaining about the brakes. The car was maybe 3 years old with low miles. There was nothing wrong with the brakes, it just needed to be driven. So I turned on the power key to kick it up to max power with all 16 injectors firing, then hit the road. I hit about 85 MPH at the top of 2nd gear and then shifted to third. I held it a moment then hit the brakes. That motha fugga stopped so damned fast I had to catch up with my teeth!
I still have never driven a more satisfying car than that.
That double overhead cam v8 with 400 HP was the shiznit then and probably still is since it was all NA power. Actually they came in 375HP andf 405HP the last year.

So yeah, I know how it feels. How long has it taken Chevy to produce another 400 HP corvette?

The second fasted car I've ever been in was a nice assed 97 or 98 Toyota supra manual.
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/13/05 02:06 AM
The SVT has a better top-end, but the GSX would crush it from the light and basically would kill it in the 1/4.

If both carrs were crusing at 100mph down the-way my SVT would walk my old GSX all the way to 150mph.

If the cars were equal HP, yeah, no doubt you're car and mine both would walk a GSX, but put ur car against an evenly matched GST and it'll be pretty close. GSX's are quick cars, not nessecarily fast. Those AWD drive trains really hold back on being fast. But are deadly from a dig. I drive my sisters 2G GST from time to time and that thing can rocket. They are nice cars if they are properly maintained.

Robert
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/13/05 02:18 AM
And mine will walk both your cars even tied together.
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: My FMIC (my old 97 GSX) - 07/13/05 10:31 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:
And mine will walk both your cars even tied together.

....For now
© CEG Archives