Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: rkneeshaw SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/21/04 03:27 AM
Half-assed searched, and kind of confused.

I'm goign to be going with a 3L hybrid with SVT heads so I can use my existing LIM/UIM etc. Its been recommended that I put in 19# injectors.

SVT came with orange and green 19# injectors, did it also come with a bottom feed type? If I have to use top-fed, that means using a different return-style fuel rail. Will I have to change my injector wiring harness to use the other (probably early SVT) fuel rail? The early SVT's had a return-style rail right?

If I install the 19# injectors, can I get away with installing a SVT MAF and will it run ok? Or should I stick with my 17# injectors and stock MAF until just before I get the chip burned (like, through the break-in period of 1000 miles)?

Posted By: Russell-3L Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/21/04 03:34 AM
you can use 17s for break-in, i would recommend to stay below 5K though, as they will lean out up top!

the svt injectors need a new fuel rail, they are cheap, i paid like $25 shipped or something for mine. keep in mind you gotta change the connectors for the injectors too!

i ran 19s with no tuning for a little bit, the car will throw a CEL for running rich!
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/21/04 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
keep in mind you gotta change the connectors for the injectors too!

Thats if you use the green injectors though, you don't have to change connections for the orange 19# injectors right?

Originally posted by Russell-3L:
i ran 19s with no tuning for a little bit, the car will throw a CEL for running rich!

Did you run the 19's with your stock MAF or did you try to use a SVT MAF (which would be calibrated for the 19s) to compensate?
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/21/04 03:55 AM
stock maf, i was running rich
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/21/04 04:10 AM
Orange is return and green is returnless.
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/21/04 05:59 AM
So I'm wondering if I used a SVT MAF, which is calibrated for 19# injectors, if I would be just right. Might not even need a tuned chip?

Did they ever make the orange 19# injectors bottom feed though? If they did, I could use my existing fuel rail.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/21/04 06:33 AM
Originally posted by rkneeshaw:
So I'm wondering if I used a SVT MAF, which is calibrated for 19# injectors, if I would be just right. Might not even need a tuned chip?

The injector size is controlled by the PCM and not the MAF or it's calibration.
Posted By: 2.3Turbochicken Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/22/04 02:14 AM
you will also need the lim, if you have the side feed vs. the top feed injectors, the lowers are different,
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/24/04 12:42 PM
Ryan contact beyondloadedSE. He has an SVT lower with 19 lbers for sale. Brand new too.
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/24/04 03:56 PM
If you're not strapped for time, you can find take out 19# injectors on Ebay for around $80 a set of 8 (Mustang). The electrical connector will be the same as your stock connectors. Just make sure your wires are in good shape as the coating can become brittle over time.

Get a fuel rail from a '98-'99 and a LIM from a '98-'00 2.5L as they will mount up the same. You will have to get creative and extend the fuel rail to meet your car's chassis fuel lines though, just FYI. Make sure to use fuel injection rated hose and connectors, or there will be a big fuel filled ballon popping party under your hood.

No car came with 19# side feed injectors to match your pre'98 tour rail. The only other car that even has those style injectors that I know about are '93-'97 Ford Probes, and they were all 17#'s.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/24/04 05:07 PM
I agree with Brad except for one point.

DO NOT bother paying for any LIM except the returnless LIM. ("returnless" ONLY denotes what engine to find it on - Late 99+ 2.5L)
You are just pissing your money away otherwise!
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/24/04 05:28 PM
Are the actual LIM's different, or just hte injectors and fuel rails different between returnless and return?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/24/04 05:36 PM
The LIM should be the same. The rails & injector are different. One line for returnless.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/24/04 05:51 PM
Originally posted by todras:
The LIM should be the same. The rails & injector are different. One line for returnless.

That is true here.

Just to clarify for general knowledge:

95 LIM's are unique to themselves having a vacuum and reverse operation IMRC.
Swapping it out requires fabrication of the IMRC linkage and mounts.
i have a 98 return sytle fuel rail if ur interestesd i could let it go for 40 shipped. it also comes with 17lbs injectors with less then 20k on them. email me at nossvtcontour@aol.com
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/24/04 06:35 PM
Originally posted by bnoon:

Get a fuel rail from a '98-'99 and a LIM from a '98-'00 2.5L as they will mount up the same. You will have to get creative and extend the fuel rail to meet your car's chassis fuel lines though, just FYI. Make sure to use fuel injection rated hose and connectors, or there will be a big fuel filled ballon popping party under your hood.

i just "bent" my stock lines a bit and they connect to the new style fuel rail im using!
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: SVT Injector Types in a pre-98 - 05/26/04 10:09 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Originally posted by todras:

That is true here.

Just to clarify for general knowledge:

95 LIM's are unique to themselves having a vacuum and reverse operation IMRC.
Swapping it out requires fabrication of the IMRC linkage and mounts.

While the SVT LIMs are all the same, the non-SVT LIMs differ from year to year. '98-'99 will have smaller ports (same small ports as your pre '98, but it's a return style with top feed injectors) while the '00 non-SVT (returnless top feed injectors) have the same LIM as the SVT's do. Cougars from late '99 returnless systems also share the larger port LIM. What you want is a '00 non-SVT LIM (because it'll probably be cheaper) and a '98-'99 return style rail from Cougar/SVT/ or non.

http://www.car-part.com

Are you confused yet?
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 LIM 101 - 05/27/04 03:48 AM
Originally posted by bnoon:
1. While the SVT LIMs are all the same, the non-SVT LIMs differ from year to year.[/url]

Are you confused yet?

1. Now you are confused.

Stock LIM (roughly 28mm/30mm) - Diameter never changed
98, 98.5, & early 99 SVT LIM = +2mm (30mm/32mm)
Late 99, 00 SVT, and all returnless = +5mm (33.5mm/35mm)

So all SVT LIM's are not the same.

All stock return LIM's have the same internal diameter.

Also I always tell people to get a 00+ Cougar RLIM because they are the cheapest and easiest to find.
Posted By: ScottK Re: LIM 101 - 05/27/04 04:47 AM

Ha - just to prove you wrong (how often does that happen?!), I got a lower from a 99 Cougar with a returnless fuel rail, but the lower itself was a 98 mfg'd part and had the smaller ports. Damn emptying out the parts bin!!!!
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: LIM 101 - 05/27/04 05:59 AM
Originally posted by ScottK:

Ha - just to prove you wrong (how often does that happen?!), I got a lower from a 99 Cougar with a returnless fuel rail, but the lower itself was a 98 mfg'd part and had the smaller ports. Damn emptying out the parts bin!!!!

heheh...

You did notice my advice of what RLIM to buy right.

I specifically left 99's off the list because some folks had that same problem. Definitely emptying the parts bin.
© CEG Archives