Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: bret 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 08:48 PM
Will the 3L upper/lower intake manifolds bolt up to the SVT heads?
Posted By: Lance Kinley Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 08:51 PM
The lower will work with modifications (the IMRC linkage is different), but doesn't the upper have the throttle body on the opposite side?

-Lance
Posted By: Terry Haines Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 08:52 PM
Nope,Taurus is on the same side but not sure of the 'package' clearence under the hood.
Posted By: bnoon Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bret:
Will the 3L upper/lower intake manifolds bolt up to the SVT heads?

Not as factory pieces, no. The 3 liter lower must be modified if you want it to work with the 2.5 upper, or leave the 3 liter lower stock and modify the EGR and vacuum lines to work on the 3 liter upper. Not a direct swap. There may be some clearance issues with the hood as well with the 3 liter upper, but by my mearurements, it "SHOULD" fit. One benefit of the 3 liter upper would be convensional porting is possible because of the straighter flow paths... I have an extra one if you want to work a deal on it...
Posted By: bret Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 08:53 PM
i think the 01 builds have it on the same side as the contour... correct me if i am wrong...
Posted By: bnoon Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 08:54 PM
Heheheheh, hot topic I guess. 4 responses in less than 5 minutes... laugh I have two uppers with the TB on the same side as 2.5. Slightly different angle too. Add to the mods list to make it possible, custom throttle/cruise cables.
Posted By: bret Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 08:54 PM
i am not talking about fitting one or the other, but both...
Posted By: bnoon Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bret:
i am not talking about fitting one or the other, but both...

Find an upper first. Cheaper. The lowers have the same height and mounting points, so any measurements should be the same.

:EDIT: The TB being on the same side on my manifolds are one '98 and one '99.
Posted By: Dan Nixon Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 09:05 PM
Bret, the 99 SVTs have the (modified)3L lower already (I think). My lower is 35mm, same as David Z measured for his 3L lower (his E0 lower was only 32mm). Also, I had a conversation with an SVE engineer who said something to the effect of "they changed to the 3L lower" on SVT engines but did not give a date - so it may be that E1s have it as well. Interestingly, several Cougar guys have reported a 35mm lower but I think Brad Noon had a 32mm on his 99SE. Go figure.
Posted By: bnoon Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 09:07 PM
I have yet to find a return type fuel system with the larger lower intake. I'm thinking that it goes together with the fuel system switch over... Just a thought... BTW, my '99 SE is return type.
Posted By: Sparks WRX Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 09:10 PM
Looking at the wifes 2000 Taurus 3.0, you'd need a throttle body (60MM) and the bracket for the cables.

Our speed and cruise cables should work with the different bracket.

Forget switching to a 65 TB because the 3.0 bracket mounts into the TB.

Let me get you a picture of the Taurus' set up
Posted By: Dan Nixon Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 09:17 PM
Add
The real question is will a 3L upper benefit your SVT. The SVT upper measures 30mm primary and 32mm secondary. The SVT lower is 33/35, with the cylinder head ports being about the same (pretty well port matched). But, the intake valves are only 32mm so the ports must taper down. A bigger upper (either 3L or further Extrude Honed 2.5L) may just result in lower gas velocity and possible power loss (with standard SVT cams). Or maybe it will gain flow & power. Unfortunately, I dont think we will know until someone does this and dynos.
Posted By: Terry Haines Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 09:19 PM
Need 'data' Dan, ....need data !!Right?
Posted By: Dan Nixon Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 09:28 PM
Absolutely, Terry! I love data.
Posted By: Sparks WRX Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 09:30 PM
Pictures from a 2000 taurus 3.0 24V

Posted By: bnoon Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sparks:
Looking at the wifes 2000 Taurus 3.0, you'd need a throttle body (60MM) and the bracket for the cables.

Our speed and cruise cables should work with the different bracket.

Forget switching to a 65 TB because the 3.0 bracket mounts into the TB.

Let me get you a picture of the Taurus' set up

Only one bolt of the bracket goes to the TB. I'm sure a custom bracket wouldn't be to hard. I'll work on it after I get this 3 liter rebuilt and sold. I could always use an outlet for "spare" parts off of the 3 liters... :rolleyes: wink BTW, I have only pre '00 uppers... Wonder if the plastic one would be a better heat barrier... wonder if the lowers are the same on '00+? I know for a fact the gaskets are different... A rare mistake of Bill Jenkins let me onto that one.
Posted By: bret Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/28/01 11:48 PM
wow, thanks for all the pics sparks. cool
Posted By: 1st 3L 95SE Wannabe Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/29/01 02:26 AM
It looks like the upper intake from the Taurus engine has different mounting points?
Posted By: bnoon Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/29/01 03:12 PM
The pre '00 uppers don't have a different mounting point for sure, not sure about the plastic one shown, but it looks to be the same, only plastic. Look carefully Dom, three bolts per bank in about the same spacing as the 2.5. The manifolds just looks so vastly different it throws you off until you see both side by side... laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Y2K-SVT Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/29/01 05:28 PM
What about intake velocity????? the 3.0 intake looks like one very large runner (correct me if im wrong) i would think that this would hurt a standard 2.5 down low, the seperate runners allow good low speed torque and both for that screaming upper we all love........ also seeing how the rear bank intake tracks are shorter (at least it appears that way form the pics) wouldnt that cause more intake balance problems with the motor????? without seeing it first hand i dont know but thats how it looks to me
Posted By: bnoon Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/29/01 05:38 PM
Down low schmow laugh The upper is one merged piece which separates just before the lower. Not going to be a mod for someone after low speed TQ me thinks. It's going to be much easier to hog it out though!!!

The front and rear banks have similar lengths because they draw air from different sides of the main runner which has separate air channels to balance the distance to each bank.
Posted By: Y2K-SVT Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/29/01 05:53 PM
thanx for the quick reply bnoon i guess its just me :rolleyes: anyway could you take the 3.0 block, with the svt heads and cams then toss the 3.0 lower and upper on would that setup work???? also if you were to go forced in duction which would be better the 3.0 upper and lower or the svt one i already have???

ps what would it take to convert a non-return to a return style setup??? seeing as i have a 2000 svt its limiting my choices on new toys (vortec, nos)
Posted By: Terry Haines Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/29/01 06:06 PM
Whats the 'kick in' revs for the Taurus secondaries? ....anybody?
Posted By: bnoon Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/29/01 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Haines:
Whats the 'kick in' revs for the Taurus secondaries? ....anybody?

Perhaps you could ask here to be sure Terry. http://www.tauruscarclub.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

Quote:
Originally posted by RELENTLESS1214:
thanx for the quick reply bnoon i guess its just me anyway could you take the 3.0 block, with the svt heads and cams then toss the 3.0 lower and upper on would that setup work???? also if you were to go forced in duction which would be better the 3.0 upper and lower or the svt one i already have???
ps what would it take to convert a non-return to a return style setup??? seeing as i have a 2000 svt its limiting my choices on new toys (vortec, nos)

Unknown which intake combo works the best. Experimentation and data to back it up is the key. Swapping returnless for return type is as easy as selling your car and buying another one... Different fuel rails, fuel lines, tank, fuel pump, pressure regulator...
Posted By: DemonSVT Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 08/29/01 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RELENTLESS1214:

An entirely new fuel system (injectors, pump, fuel rail, FPR, harnesses, etc!) and PCM. Not remotely close to worth it or easily done.

You'd be better off going to a stand alone fuel management system. Still going to run you several grand though...
Posted By: Jason King Re: 3.0L intake manifolds - 10/30/01 04:25 PM
Sparks:
Your sucking in way too much hot air. I connected an OBD 2 puter to an open cone filter such as yours and one to a modified air box and the air box was MUCH cooler. Also, a modified air box will flow quite a few more cfm then a stock taurus air box (I don't have hard numbers YET, but I'm working on it) 3" pipe from fender to air box with no hard edges usually means better air flow then the 1" hole at the end of the saxacone. Another thing to consider is your filtering media. Amsoil pannel filters are quite nice for removing dirt and keeping cfm flow high. All in all, cost of modified air box (not including Amsoil filter) $6

Terry:
I'll hook up my dyno and go for some fun in the new duratec sable I just got. Where the curve dips momentairly is where the secondaries open right?

Air Knight:
Mounting bolts for the pree and post 2000 3.0 duratec are the same.

General:
Also, some of the Tauri guys are switching to the 2.5 intakes for increased torque, the 3.0 have shorter (hp) runners simply b/c the extra .5L helps in the low end. I know, I know 200/200 is nice, but some people like torque.
© CEG Archives