Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 1998tred3.0 Tick at idle while hot - 08/15/06 08:18 PM
I just completed my 3.0 swap in April. 3.0 block and heads p&pd. SVT upper and low intake, etc. Its ran great for about a month and then started ticking at idle, which progressivly gets louder while accellerating and is downright obnoxious above 4000rpm. It sounds like its behind the timing cover. Someone told me a worn oil pump or bad tensioner possibly could be the culprit. Its the tensioners from my blown 2.5litre and the origional oil pump, which im kicking my self now for not replacing. I have to pull the drive train out again because i blew the trany, (yah i know about all the treads telling you to upgrade the trany tbd and such, shut up i was stupid and in a hurry.) Anyone experienced anythign similar with the timing noises and any suggestions about anything wlse tht might be causing it? Thnx for any help guys, Youve been life saver through my 3.0 conversion.
Posted By: 1998tred3.0 Re: Tick at idle while hot - 08/15/06 08:32 PM
Oh and did i say, It dosent do it when cold
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: Tick at idle while hot - 08/15/06 10:18 PM
Dead HLA might be the culprit ... now, pinpointing which one(s) ... that's the hard part! Post a sound file so we can hear what you are talking about.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Tick at idle while hot - 08/16/06 12:54 AM
Sounds like it could be some lifters if it only does it when hot. I really doubt it is the oil pump or tensioners as I'd normally expect that they would do it all the time.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Tick at idle while hot - 08/16/06 01:23 AM
Originally posted by 1998tred3.0:
(yah i know about all the treads telling you to upgrade the trany tbd and such, shut up i was stupid and in a hurry.)

Hmm. Haste makes waste comes to mind. More time, work and $ in this case. Who did the heads?
Posted By: TRicker Re: Tick at idle while hot - 08/16/06 01:58 AM
you might wanna check the bolts on the valvetrain. lol.
Posted By: "shotty driving"-ds Re: Tick at idle while hot - 08/16/06 03:58 AM
Exhaust leak at the manifolds.
Posted By: 1998tred3.0 Re: Tick at idle while hot - 08/16/06 09:27 PM
Im pretty sure its behind the timing cover, i can hear it pretty good behind there both above the engine while its hot and while its on a lift, i might need to check those guide bolts, perhaps 1 worked loose. i agree completly, more time, more money and more attention to detail would have paid dividends here, sometimes u have to work with what u got, espesially when its your only vehicle. i port matched my heads, had the centers welded and i ground the runners down, had them sent out to be smoothed. Any transmission tricks i should know about while im getting ready to put my trany together, im looking for a tbd, but having trouble fronting the cash nessary for a unit.
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Tick at idle while hot - 08/16/06 10:04 PM
Noisy lifter.
© CEG Archives