Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: rkneeshaw Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/05/06 06:35 PM
So I dont have a problem finding a oil cooler (sandwich style, like the one on the CSVT's), but the hoses I hear are a problem on the 3L because of an "ear" on the block.... so those hoses must be metal lines (otherwise couldn't they be re-routed?)?

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if I could just pick up some generic 3/4" coolant hose or something and make this thing work on my 96 w/ 3L, tapping into the cooling system in the same place the CSVT's oil cooler does. Has anyone who's had a look up in there know if rubber coolant hoses could be routed around in there or is it really necessary to get the actual factory hoses?

I found the factory 3L hoses for the escape... $90
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/05/06 06:35 PM
oh, and any pics would be shhhaaweeeeeeeet
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/05/06 06:41 PM
I luv sandwiches!
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/05/06 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Decepticon:
I luv sandwiches!

damnit what are you doin in my thread?
10 minutes with a diegrinder and hacksaw will solve the problem.

Read this post for a pictoral: http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=turbo&Number=1158152
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/05/06 06:50 PM
In the car though?
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/05/06 06:52 PM
those pics help A LOT... but ya, the engine is in the car. Those hard lines must be there to make sure there is no contact with the exhaust manifolds....
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/05/06 06:53 PM
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=perf&Number=5213&Forum=perf&Words=oil%20cooler&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=99&Old=allposts&Main=5213&Search=true#Post5213

go to summitracing.com type in this part number

DER-15502

and that will work. Talk to Gyer (sp?) on NECO he has one and it fit like a glove plus was only $70
Doh! Completely missed the point that it was in the car
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/05/06 06:58 PM
Would you want to buy the oil cooler off my parts car? All hoses are still there. PM me if you're interested.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/05/06 07:17 PM
anyone know if you can install the oil cooler with out having to remove the manifold, obviously it would be easier but I don't know when I will be installing my headers and I would like install the cooler asap on my 2.5L
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/05/06 07:24 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:
anyone know if you can install the oil cooler with out having to remove the manifold, obviously it would be easier but I don't know when I will be installing my headers and I would like install the cooler asap on my 2.5L

I don't see why it would be necessary to remove the manifold. The hoses will just slip behind the manifold and connect it up from there. I'll double check today when I get home to see if anything else is in the way of it.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/05/06 07:25 PM
Yes it can removed with the manifold in place. How easy I don't know.
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/06/06 12:17 AM
Got a diagram from Bill:

Cost is still $97

Tony, you have a PM

Todd, good link, I saw that in my search results. I'm upgrading my entire cooling system (SVT rad, water wetter, 160degree tstat) and wanted to pop in the SVT-style oil cooler too while I'm at it. I dont really have a good logical reason for going the SVT cooler route instead of that one from summit, I just like it better I guess

I'm taking advantage of the oppertunity pulling out the radiator creates and doing my headers at the same time
Originally posted by fastcougar:
10 minutes with a diegrinder and hacksaw will solve the problem.

Read this post for a pictoral: http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=turbo&Number=1158152

Amen Brutha, that piece of metal can just be removed. I did it on my pre99 motor too.
I used a sawzall though.

As far as in the car, they have small reciprocating air saws that can be used if you have air...kind of like a jig saw in a straight line.
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
Got a diagram from Bill:

Cost is still $97

Tony, you have a PM

Todd, good link, I saw that in my search results. I'm upgrading my entire cooling system (SVT rad, water wetter, 160degree tstat) and wanted to pop in the SVT-style oil cooler too while I'm at it. I dont really have a good logical reason for going the SVT cooler route instead of that one from summit, I just like it better I guess

I'm taking advantage of the oppertunity pulling out the radiator creates and doing my headers at the same time

Then definitely just use an angle die grind and air jigsaw to cut that section of metal out. It won't be that bad and shoul still be easier if you have the radiator out..... maybe. lol
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/06/06 03:23 PM
Yea rad and fans out makes for a lot of room. Next time I do headers they are coming out. I don't care what anyone says. Makes it much easier in the long run.
Originally posted by todras:
Yea rad and fans out makes for a lot of room. Next time I do headers they are coming out. I don't care what anyone says. Makes it much easier in the long run.

Just removing the fans frees up a ton of room ... like 3-4 inches and makes a HUGE difference!
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/26/06 02:21 PM
Bill J comes through again. This guy is awesome. He hopped on some sort of dealer network and found a dealer that had this hose kit in stock (and they couldn't sell it, wanted to get rid of it) so I got it for $50. Worth saving myself the major PITA of procuring a die grinder and trying to get in there to remove that thingy on the engine block. Bolted up beautifully. Mega thanks to Bill!

Originally posted by todras:

Freakin'-A that made it EASY. Front header isntalled, now for the rear.. I'm hoping I remember it correctly that the front was the harder one hehe
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/26/06 02:59 PM
Good to hear!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/26/06 06:47 PM
From TH...
if owners feel they must use the Modene style
cooler DON'T use an SVT unit...use the X Type Jaguar
unit. Unlike the SVT type, which has small coolant feed
and return from the heater circuit, the Jag has larger
hoses and bigger connections and is piped 'in series'
with the cold return and forms part of the bottom hose
'circuit'...lower oil temps etc...worth a thought!!!

Posted By: mond12345 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/26/06 08:06 PM
Part number?? Cost??
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/26/06 08:16 PM
Call dealer.
Posted By: mond12345 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/26/06 08:16 PM
For what year Jags?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 06/26/06 08:27 PM
02 to current.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 07/10/06 12:37 AM
so bill found a hose kit that doesnt rub into that metal ear?
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Sandwich-style/SVT Oil Cooler hoses - 07/10/06 05:06 AM
Yes he did, the one pictured with that part number there is the whole hose assembly that you will need. It goes around that ear on the 3L block
© CEG Archives