Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
alright well my heads are on and the lower engine mount is not....is there a way to grind down the mount to fit between the heads or do the heads have to come off?!

i remember stazi making a post of using the couger mount but i got a quote from ford for $160... and then doing about 45 minutes of grinding .could go to the junk yard again but i would like some input...please

this was not my doing but i am now woring on the car my self...
Originally posted by svtProdigy:
alright well my heads are on and the lower engine mount is not....is there a way to grind down the mount to fit between the heads or do the heads have to come off?!

i remember stazi making a post of using the couger mount but i got a quote from ford for $160... and then doing about 45 minutes of grinding .could go to the junk yard again but i would like some input...please

45 min to an hour of grinding. Just look at it and grind, then look again, grind, etc etc.
i don't have a couger mount though... i have a contour one and was curious if anyone has done it with a contour not couger like stazi has talked about grinding.
i don't have a couger mount though... i have a contour one and was curious if anyone has done it with a contour not couger like stazi has talked about grinding.

I did it with a contour mount, the cougar has a little bit less material to grind down. But literally, I do not recall exactly how it looked when it was done. Just do it!

I've got a brand new cougar mount if interested
Originally posted by mapoftazifoshoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:

I did it with a contour mount, the cougar has a little bit less material to grind down. But literally, I do not recall exactly how it looked when it was done. Just do it!

did you have to grind off anything off the head? and did you grind any bolt holes off?

did you have to grind off anything off the head? and did you grind any bolt holes off?

IIRC I DID have to get a non-ferrous bit and take a smiggen off the left head (if you are looking at the motor from the timing cover side)
yeah i saw that...just didn't think it was enough...i though i might have problems on the righ side...
Way to read the fuggin stickies.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=3L&Number=740593&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1

2nd up from bottom. And also in the top sticky. You need 2 long bolts and 2 short bolts. Contour mount will not bolt to the 3L block. Different bolt size. Cougar mount is $32 from Jenkins.
Originally posted by Todd aRRRRRRRRR.:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=3L&Number=740593&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1

2nd up from bottom. And also in the top sticky. You need 2 long bolts and 2 short bolts. Contour mount will not bolt to the 3L block. Different bolt size. Cougar mount is $32 from Jenkins.

OMG I overlooked something....?!?! That sucks...so technically ALL 3L's in tour Have to have the 01+ Cougar mount...

WHAT!?

Explain to me then how my car is on the road then!?
Then what did you do? Did you use a Contour mount?
Then what did you do? Did you use a Contour mount?

Yup!
And you used the thicker bolts on the block?
It's the other way around:

Bolt shanks are different diameters from Contour/Cougar to Escape ... not sure about the Taurus. The mounts are nearly identical and are interchangable, it's the bolts that must be swapped. I have pictures at home and can post them if you want ... both mounts side by side ... only difference is the bolt shank diameter.

IDK what bolts I used. Little bit a this, little bit a that...

But in all seriousness, I used the stock 2.5L bolts...they worked.
Originally posted by fastcougar:

Bolt shanks are different diameters from Contour/Cougar to Escape ... not sure about the Taurus. The mounts are nearly identical and are interchangable, it's the bolts that must be swapped. I have pictures at home and can post them if you want ... both mounts side by side ... only difference is the bolt shank diameter.

OK. Good to know. Would still get a Cougar mount as there is less to grind. Pete you couldn't have used the stock bolts unless you tapped the block to accept them.

OK. Good to know. Would still get a Cougar mount as there is less to grind. Pete you couldn't have used the stock bolts unless you tapped the block to accept them.

I installed the mount and the bolts worked! I don't recall stazi giving me some other bolts. I used the stock ones, 2 long and 2 short.
What year/make block? I used a 2002 Escape block and had to use the "skinnier" bolts.
my pos has the contour mount and bolts...
What year/make block? I used a 2002 Escape block and had to use the "skinnier" bolts.

03 Merc sable
well grinding wasn't going so well so i took off the head...see arp comes in handy!! sand blasted and painted the mount..looks good.... ...i ground off the dowl pins from the mount cause they would not fit in the block...took the dowel pin out of the block...I got new bolts...M8 1.25 x 100 millimeters two of these and\
M8 1.25 x 70 millimeters two of these also....i put some washers in and the mountbolts on perfectly...now i have to put the head back on...pictures will come later..mount doesn't budge! starting to like power tools...

03 Merc sable

That right there might be why ... Taurus/Sable block is definitely different from Escape/Mariner/Tribute block.

After seeing that...I'm afraid to ride in your car...

Anyways...Lets get this all straightened out.

The Contour mount/bolts(?) will work on which blocks?
The Cougar mount/bolts(?) are needed for which blocks?
Well all those bolts are from the 3L that I didn't need. I don't need 2 sets of header bolts and studs. I also didn't need all the timing cover bolts, and then the valve cover bolts.

As far as the taurus motor, I think Todd used a taurus block.
Well all those bolts are from the 3L that I didn't need. I don't need 2 sets of header bolts and studs. I also didn't need all the timing cover bolts, and then the valve cover bolts.

As far as the taurus motor, I think Todd used a taurus block.

psst...I was only kiddin...hehe. Call it poor sportsmanship, because you beat me on finishing the 3L. hehe
Originally posted by posthuman63t:

take the spark plugs out of the picture and the bolts with
the rubber washer which are for the valve covers and there is really not much left...looks like you have some front cover bolts...couple lower intake bolts...tranny bolt

After seeing that...I'm afraid to ride in your car...

Anyways...Lets get this all straightened out.

The Contour mount/bolts(?) will work on which blocks?
The Cougar mount/bolts(?) are needed for which blocks?

take the spark plugs out of the picture and the bolts with
the rubber washer which are for the valve covers and there is really not much left...looks like you have some front cover bolts...couple lower intake bolts...tranny bolt

Originally posted by posthuman63t:

OMG I overlooked something....?!?! That sucks...so technically ALL 3L's in tour Have to have the 01+ Cougar mount...

No, you can just drill out the holes in the motor mount to fit the larger holes on the older blocks and on the newer blocks the bolt holes are the same as the 99+ bolts.
wrong...my 2001 block has smaller bolt holes in the block than the 2.5...its not the size of the holes in the mount but the size of the bolt that fits in the block. the dowel pins pressed in the mount were too big to fit in the 3 liter block also.
okay, you had the earlier mount/bolt style, no biggie. I mentioned the later style. In your case you just use the escape/contour mount with the smaller bolts. They were identical on my engines. 99SVT->'01ESC
2001 is an earlier bolt style? 99+ for some reason they were not the same for mine....
No later, they use the 8mm bolts.
My 99 used 8mm bolts as well but the 98's seem to have been a crossover year and had 10mm or 8mm bolts.
My 98 Taurus block used 10mm bolts so to make it fit I drilled/tapped the 99 contour motor mount to fit the 10mm bolts and problem was solved.

On the '01 escape it used an identical mount as the 99contour mount I had, both in bolt size, shape, and functionality.
So consider it another source of a motor mount if you wish.
thanks for the explanation...i was confused...lol
if anone wants to get an idea of what i went throught today take a look...

check these out...not your typical motor....all work was done by me...all in one day...
Umm why are you asking about installing with the heads on if one is off?
cause i said fug it and tore the motor apart!
Okaaaaay. A little grinding would have saved $ on a new gasket, TTY bolts, removing the cams, redoing the timing if that was done.

40 minutes of grinding > removing a head.
Okaaaaay. A little grinding would have saved $ on a new gasket, TTY bolts, removing the cams, redoing the timing if that was done.

gasket was fine..the engine has never been run..ARP head studs....did the work my self so it didn't cost me a thing..

diamond pistons and gasket

the most beutiful friggen cylinders and pistons i have ever seen

gasket was fine..the engine has never been run..ARP head studs....did the work my self so it didn't cost me a thing..

diamond pistons and gasket

the most beutiful friggen cylinders and pistons i have ever seen

That was a bonehead move!

gasket was fine..the engine has never been run

From I've been told it doesn't matter. The gaskets are coated and have been compressed. Reuse is not recommended.
Under "stock" conditions, I could see why ... the damn heads are torqued down to like a gazillion lbs/ft of torque. However, IIRC, the ARP studs are only torqued to 60 lbs/ft. I guess it depends if any of the coating was transfered between the heads/gasket/block???

gasket was fine..the engine has never been run

From I've been told it doesn't matter. The gaskets are coated and have been compressed. Reuse is not recommended.

© CEG Archives