Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Pixie Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 03:28 PM
Alright... This is for anyone that has done a 3.0 switch...I am thinkin of doin a 3.0 switch with my 2.5, 1998, SVT... In your opinion... what is the best year, make, and model to use and why.... All answers would be greatly appreciated... And Thank You!!!
Posted By: Stazi Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 03:32 PM
2002+ Taurus/Sable - cheap, tons of them around, and can be found with low miles.

The Escape motors are alway 50-100% more expensive.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 03:57 PM
SHO mota fa sho!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 04:24 PM
Posted By: touredon Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 06:06 PM
um... 426 Hemi?
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 08:36 PM
Originally posted by touredon:
um... 426 Hemi?

I hate Hemi's...the entire Dodge platform has Hemi's...its sickening.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 08:48 PM
Originally posted by posthuman63t:
um... 426 Hemi?

13b
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 08:55 PM
um... 426 Hemi?

those aren't hemis...
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 09:02 PM
I'll be a little less vague here, the NEW "Hemi's" regardless of size, have led me to hate hemi's in general. Don't blame me, blame them. Or blame me cuz i'm stubborn? hehe
Posted By: stocksvtcontour Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 09:20 PM
Use a 50 2 big block
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 09:21 PM
boosted k20
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 09:25 PM
Originally posted by stocksvtcontour:
Use a 50 2 big block

screw that, here's my new set up I'm working on!
Posted By: Pixie Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 10:24 PM
Alright so I should use a 2002 taurus/sable... Thanks to all for your help I really did appreciate it
Posted By: Tourige Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/27/06 10:58 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Use a 50 2 big block

wtf is that... is that guy riding on top?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/28/06 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Stazi:
2002+ Taurus/Sable - cheap, tons of them around, and can be found with low miles.

Yeah, but you can be more exclusive.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/28/06 01:36 AM
Isn't a modified Contour exclusive enough?
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/28/06 03:15 AM
escape may be more expensive....but factor in the cost of the oil pan and pickup if you buy a taruus/sable motor.....mine is a 2003 sable with 15K on it...
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/28/06 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
escape may be more expensive....but factor in the cost of the oil pan and pickup if you buy a taruus/sable motor.....mine is a 2003 sable with 15K on it...

how much did you pick that up for?
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/28/06 03:34 AM
i think it was around 500-550 shipped like a year ago
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/28/06 04:35 AM

Should i be going for the 2003 taurus engine with 30k, or 2001 with 11k if the prices are near the same? Because i thought all 2001+ would do the job fine.
Posted By: giddyup306 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/29/06 04:31 AM
Originally posted by warmonger:

Yeah, but you can be more exclusive.

How bout using a 96 engine. j/k stay the hell away from my Karma lol
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/29/06 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Tourige:
Use a 50 2 big block

http://www.tractorpulling.com/report/images/wierden1999/seasideaffair.jpg

wtf is that... is that guy riding on top?

That is a super modified tractor.
Posted By: touredon Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/29/06 11:42 PM
um... 426 Hemi?

those aren't hemis...

Thank you.
Posted By: SVTDave_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/31/06 01:08 AM
What about a 1999 Taurus 3.0 Duratec? I can get one pretty much complete for a tad less than $200. The odo in the car says 99k miles. My plans are to rebuild it while I still have my stock SVT 2.5 in my 'tour...
Posted By: giddyup306 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/31/06 02:57 PM
Originally posted by SVTDave:
What about a 1999 Taurus 3.0 Duratec? I can get one pretty much complete for a tad less than $200. The odo in the car says 99k miles. My plans are to rebuild it while I still have my stock SVT 2.5 in my 'tour...

I beieve with the 99 motor you will have to make a hybrid and you will have to modify the bellhouseing. It is a hell of a lot more work than an 01+ oval port swap. But if you don't mind doing some extra work...
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/31/06 03:20 PM
Why "start fresh" with an engine with almost 100K on it already? I know, I know.. you would "rebuild" it, but you're still using a 100K mile engine that's been rebuilt.

Why not pay $100-$250 more and get an 01+ with 15K or 10K(or hell even LESS if you search around) miles?

Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/31/06 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Ray:
Why "start fresh" with an engine with almost 100K on it already? I know, I know.. you would "rebuild" it, but you're still using a 100K mile engine that's been rebuilt.

Why not pay $100-$250 more and get an 01+ with 15K or 10K(or hell even LESS if you search around) miles?

excactly, by the time you add in the 'rebuild' cost you could have bought a brand new short block
Posted By: bradSVT Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 03/31/06 07:51 PM

I wish i could find that price.
Posted By: SVTDave_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 04/01/06 03:05 AM

Well, that's why I was asking you guys' advice!

Now I know to get an '01+ engine...see, isn't that how this forum stuff is supposed to work?

Thanks for the response. As you can probably tell, I'm still in the "gathering info" stage. My car is in great running condition as of right now...I'm just wanting an engine I can take my time to rebuild and make right without taking my driveable car off the road.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 04/01/06 03:19 AM

Now I know to get an '01+ engine...see, isn't that how this forum stuff is supposed to work?

Thanks for the response. As you can probably tell, I'm still in the "gathering info" stage. My car is in great running condition as of right now...I'm just wanting an engine I can take my time to rebuild and make right without taking my driveable car off the road.

Yes, but that information has been passed numerous times nad is also in the stickies.
Posted By: SVTDave_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 04/04/06 03:30 AM

Yes, but that information has been passed numerous times nad is also in the stickies.

I didn't see where anyone listed reasons why 01's are better to use than 99's. But my question is now answered...isn't that the important part? And the reason forums like this exist?
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 04/04/06 04:15 PM
Originally posted by giddyup306:

I beieve with the 99 motor you will have to make a hybrid and you will have to modify the bellhouseing. It is a hell of a lot more work than an 01+ oval port swap. But if you don't mind doing some extra work...

A hybrid is more work than an oval port swap?!?! Now that's a good one! Total B.S. You have to modify the bell housing on all 3L's when mating a 3L to the Contour transaxle, or clearancing the extra tang for the SVT cooler. For the oval port head swap, you either have to modify the heads for the twin port Contour manifolds, or fabricate a fuel line (if you've got a return system).

The fact is, there is no "best" engine out there that fits everyone's needs. To some, "best" is going to get them the most HP ('01+ oval port to twin port adaptation seems to be the hot ticket). To others, "best" is going to be as cheap as possible (junkyard '99 hybrid for less than $850 total for mine). To others, it's going to be which one is easy... then that brings up which one everyone thinks is easiest... and that's another opinion based answer.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 04/04/06 05:08 PM

I didn't see where anyone listed reasons why 01's are better to use than 99's. But my question is now answered...isn't that the important part? And the reason forums like this exist?

Your right, not in this specific thread.
01+ are preferred because of a redesign/cast piston design..I can't remember which.
Posted By: giddyup306 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 04/04/06 06:28 PM

I think the whole thing is that the 01+s have an extra drain back hole (and you can use the 3.0l heads). 3l valve are in and you don't have to replace the head gaskets. Much less work is required to make it work. That is if you can only use the 2.5 heads... I know for damn sure that anything with the 2.5 heads had the oil puddiling problem (but you can modify that too).
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 04/04/06 07:28 PM

I think the whole thing is that the 01+s have an extra drain back hole (and you can use the 3.0l heads). 3l valve are in and you don't have to replace the head gaskets. Much less work is required to make it work. That is if you can only use the 2.5 heads... I know for damn sure that anything with the 2.5 heads had the oil puddiling problem (but you can modify that too).

WUT!?
Posted By: giddyup306 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 04/04/06 09:09 PM
What are you confused about????
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Whats the best motor to use??? - 04/05/06 12:04 AM

For N/A engines yes. For FI'd engines then the revised piston on the '01+ engines is much better.
© CEG Archives