Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: stilov It's still leaking!!!! - 03/20/06 11:27 PM
I got a new o-ring, but it was so slippery up there and I can't see it to know if it is lining up right...does anyon have a pic of the oil cooler off with the o-ring on it?

I think if I can look at a pic...then I can feel around up there to see if it is fitting right. There are basically 2 places it could go on there...

one is strech around this lip edge part or the other is rest on the outside of the little humped up part...

anyone??? This is really what's stopping me from getting it on the road and tuning.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/21/06 03:05 PM
1)Remove oil filter
2)Remove oil coiler
3)Wipe the oil cooler mouting surface completely dry with the help of some acetone on a rag
4)Apply some Black RTV to the back of the o-ring
5)Press o-ring onto oil cooler.

There is a "channel" on the back of the oil cooler where the o-ring sits. I used the RTV simply to make the o-ring "sticky" so it wouldn't slip around within the channel and possibly fall out when I was positioning the oil cooler into place. Make sense?
Posted By: Swazo Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/21/06 03:37 PM
Originally posted by fastcougar:
1)Remove oil filter
2)Remove oil coiler
3)Wipe the oil cooler mouting surface completely dry with the help of some acetone on a rag
4)Apply some Black RTV to the back of the o-ring
5)Press o-ring onto oil cooler.

There is a "channel" on the back of the oil cooler where the o-ring sits. I used the RTV simply to make the o-ring "sticky" so it wouldn't slip around within the channel and possibly fall out when I was positioning the oil cooler into place. Make sense?

Exactly. Though, I just tacked the o-ring into place onto the oil cooler (just 4 tiny dots of cement) with some contact cement and then lubed up the o-ring liberally with oil. Nadda drop
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/21/06 06:50 PM
On most of the oil cooler's I've pulled off SVT engines they seem to have some type of glue or RTV holding the O ring in place right from the factory.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/22/06 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Blackcoog:
On most of the oil cooler's I've pulled off SVT engines they seem to have some type of glue or RTV holding the O ring in place right from the factory.

got any extras lying around?
Posted By: stilov Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/22/06 04:15 AM
I actually found my old o-ring if you need one...I paid like 15 bucks discounted they list for like 26. That's my plan...clean it ad tack it and let it set...

I have an oil filter relo kit, but I unhooked at the moment so if it does leak...I have much less to take...I am using a stock oil filter for testing.
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/24/06 10:30 PM
Grease works very well for holding o rings in place
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/24/06 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:
Grease works very well for holding o rings in place

Yes, but as grease warms, it becomes more visous and will eventually "melt" into the mix. RTV will form a gasket instead and thus why I used it more so than just to make it "sticky".
Posted By: stilov Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/25/06 12:00 AM
so i pulled it and cleaned it...let it dry...put some sealant on there and let that harden a bit...now I gotta put in back on, but it looks like the o-ring was in place and this time the gasket on the oil filter was screwed...long story...so I am off to buy another oil filter and then start it again...it'll be the 3rd time...3rd time's a charm!!!
Posted By: giddyup306 Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/26/06 04:58 AM
You don't need any sealer for the o-ring. Clean off all mating surfaces and try again.
Posted By: stilov Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/26/06 06:16 AM
I just used the sealer to hold it in place...I have yet to tighten it up again...

is there anything that needs to be ground down on the block for the cooler to fit flush? Just thought I'd ask.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/26/06 01:26 PM
Nope. Just have the correct bolt/pipe and the allen head that threads it in place. There is a metal alignment pin on the cooler back that keeps it in place. If you cross thread the pipe it will not let the cooler tighten up, as you probably know. You should be able to hold the cooler in place as you start turning the pipe in by hand until snug.
The RTV should help in sealing it as long as the o-ring stays in place, in case there are any cuts/scores in the block or cooler sealing surface.
Posted By: stilov Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/26/06 06:48 PM
so it wasnt the cooler after all...it's the oil pressure sending unit...I just need a socket large enough...anyone know what size?
Posted By: Swazo Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/26/06 09:07 PM
That's gotta suck to go to all the trouble of redoing the oil cooler and filter only to find it was the oil pressure sending unit. Atleast that is all it was and nothing was fubar.

IIRC, it was 22mm or so. Teflon tape it while you're at it.
Posted By: stilov Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/26/06 09:29 PM
The one i have must be bigger...I could even get a 1in socket over it.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/26/06 09:45 PM
It's 1.125"
Posted By: stilov Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 03/26/06 10:20 PM
thanks!!
Posted By: stilov Re: It's still leaking!!!! - 04/04/06 05:55 PM
ok...so it was the oil pressure sending unit and the socket size is 1 and 1/16....not 1 and 1/8...(1.125)

No more leaking...and it idled by itself today...and I let it heat up.
© CEG Archives