Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Ryan4 Mazda6 3.0 - 03/04/06 03:31 AM
I was just wondering if a 04 mazda6 engine would work in a 3.0l swap in my SVT
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/04/06 04:30 AM
nope,vvt,coil on plug,just to name a few differences
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/06/06 03:20 AM
Why would it not? If you brought over all the engine management I would think that the only thing left to do would be have the PATS info flashed in by a dealer.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/06/06 03:38 AM
Originally posted by 69Boss302:
Why would it not? If you brought over all the engine management I would think that the only thing left to do would be have the PATS info flashed in by a dealer.

Getting engine management to tie in with the non-engine components would be a real [censored]. Not to mention the fact the Contour is OBD-II while the Mazda6 is CAN.
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/06/06 03:46 AM
OBD-II and CAn is just the management, right? What affect would that have on a straight up swap?

And to get the PATS and other functions to tie in is just a matter of finding someone that can merge the two programs. I can't see it being that hard if one knows what they're doing.
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/06/06 03:51 AM
OBD-II and CAn is just the management, right? What affect would that have on a straight up swap?

And to get the PATS and other functions to tie in is just a matter of finding someone that can merge the two programs. I can't see it being that hard if one knows what they're doing.

CAN reads and writes differently, a prime example is when I would hook up a Snap-On MT2500 scantool to the 6, the DTCs it would pull would be completely different, as well as the data, than that of an actual CAN-compatible scantool.

Feel free to pour over the ECU wiring diagrams for the 6 3.0:

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/wiring/
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/06/06 03:58 AM
I see I have a bit of reading and looking ahead of me. Do you happen to know what other Duratec engines are using CAN right now?
Posted By: Twisted6 Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/06/06 04:02 AM
I see I have a bit of reading and looking ahead of me. Do you happen to know what other Duratec engines are using CAN right now?

The new Taurus (IIRC) and of course all the 6 variants, Fusion. Milan and Zephyr.
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/06/06 04:04 AM
Thank you sir
Posted By: Ryan4 Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/06/06 04:36 AM
ok so i guess thats out of the question um i found a 03 taurus duratec with 20000 on it for $750. It was pulled from a taurus with the last VIN being "S" is this a good deal?
Posted By: zrated_dup1 Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/06/06 04:46 AM
I guess I should get back on that, I was in the middle of testing out the vvt output on the tour's ecm but never did a dynamic test. All I need is the cam angle specs and I will do that soon.

The factory computer has built-in vvt controls according to my SCT software. With that software you can enable and disable certain functions like egr, knock sensor, vvt. I already have the wiring setup. I did some initial testing but I want to get all the cam angle info from the lincon then do a couple runs with my multi meter or something setup to see if the sol control works. Then if all goes well vvt would be a fairly easy add-on.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/06/06 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Ryan4:
ok so i guess thats out of the question um i found a 03 taurus duratec with 20000 on it for $750. It was pulled from a taurus with the last VIN being "S" is this a good deal?

No. Not a good deal at all. I got my 03 Taurus engine with under 7500 on the clock for about $320 I think it was...

...Try searching LKQ (I think thats the site....)
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/06/06 07:58 PM
Originally posted by zrated:
I guess I should get back on that, I was in the middle of testing out the vvt output on the tour's ecm but never did a dynamic test. All I need is the cam angle specs and I will do that soon.

The factory computer has built-in vvt controls according to my SCT software. With that software you can enable and disable certain functions like egr, knock sensor, vvt. I already have the wiring setup. I did some initial testing but I want to get all the cam angle info from the lincon then do a couple runs with my multi meter or something setup to see if the sol control works. Then if all goes well vvt would be a fairly easy add-on.

That sounds promising and I'm sure there are a few of us that would be anxiously awaiting your findings. I thought I had my hands on a 3.0 Fusion motor but that vanished when I grabbed it today.
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/15/06 05:44 AM
Originally posted by zrated:

Zrated,
have you had a chance to do anything yet?
Posted By: zrated_dup1 Re: Mazda6 3.0 - 03/17/06 12:50 AM
Zrated,
have you had a chance to do anything yet?

No not yet, my dad is in and out of the hospital right now getting kimo so I am running the shop with little help (he usualy runs the show) and haven't had much time. It is near the top of my list, I am pretty interested to find out myself so I will try to get at it as soon as I can.
© CEG Archives