Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Contouratic98 one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 01:39 AM
is it true that because i don't have an svt i need an engine management system....like a apex???
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 01:56 AM
Not sure quite what your asking here? But im guessing your asking whether you need an engine management system for your 3.0L.

The 3.0L will definetely have to be tuned, especially if you have a non svt because the injectors will have to be upgraded. An X-Calibrator 2 from brenspeed.com will do the trick. An apexi should never be used to do major tuning.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Contouratic98:
is it true that because i don't have an svt i need an engine management system....like a apex???

Your first two posts show that you don't know much of anything about contours. You need to stop posting immediately...and start reading ALL the FAQ's and stickied threads. Then you can post again.
Posted By: Contouratic98 Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 02:33 AM
actually i had to change my e-mail and get a new sn...i've done my research...just asking a few question...dont talk
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Contouratic98:
actually i had to change my e-mail and get a new sn...i've done my research...just asking a few question...dont talk

I think I'll do plenty of typing...keep reading.
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 02:17 PM
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:
Your first two posts show that you don't know much of anything about contours. You need to stop posting immediately...and start reading ALL the FAQ's and stickied threads. Then you can post again.

Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:

I think I'll do plenty of typing...keep reading.

Stop it, now.

By the way, I disagree with Mr. Hahn. You can run the 3L with 19# injectors just fine on the stock ECU without throwing a code. Just realize that you are missing out on a bit of performance without getting a tune. As for the tune itself, get a chip from Arizona guys, or the Duratec Performance guys if you're not into tuning yourself.
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 06:43 PM
I know the SVT's will run fine on 3L's with the stock 19lb injectors. The non SVT's which have smaller 17lb injectors will need a set of 19lb injectors and I've heard the car will still run on the stock ECU because the change in fuel is within the ECU's adaptability. A tune in either case is always optimal.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 06:57 PM
Mine starts and idles fine. Car runs very rich though. Needs a tune big time. I have 19's on a 96 SE computer BTW. Also don't have IMRC due to oval port heads.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 07:24 PM
Even with the SVT computer, the car was running a little rich on the 19# injectors with my 3L. I can imagine the SE computer would run a little bit more rich on 19#ers with no tuning, as they seem to have a little less aggressive tune to begin with. Either way, it should run, and run pretty good. I had some people tell me they could smell the fuel if I got on it in front of them.

Mark
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 08:27 PM
Originally posted by todras:
Mine starts and idles fine. Car runs very rich though. Needs a tune big time. I have 19's on a 96 SE computer BTW. Also don't have IMRC due to oval port heads.

Wow, I didn't realize that you didn't have a tune!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 09:21 PM
Does it change your life now?
Posted By: SvtTour98.5-3 Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 09:44 PM
From what I understand, the ECU can only correct about +/- 8% for fuel. If you go from 17's to 19's, that's almost 12% and you would run rich.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 09:48 PM
Originally posted by bnoon:

By the way, I disagree with Mr. Hahn. You can run the 3L with 19# injectors just fine on the stock ECU without throwing a code.

pssst. He doesnt have an svt which means he will have to upgrade his injectors to at least 19 lb. He will definetely need a tune. I think Todd proved my point. I stand by my original comment.
Posted By: 99cougar Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 10:22 PM
A local cougar owner has a 3L swap with 19's in his car without a chip...let's just say it "stinks" when you stand by it.

Not to mention without a tune on his car my 2.5L cougar w/o nitrous outpulls his SVT 3L ...he needs a tune.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/27/06 11:36 PM
Originally posted by todras:

Something as simple as the SAFC will be enough to pull fuel versus rpm and throttle position since you are only running 19s.
I recommend just getting a used SAFC and pull about 12-15% fuel below 1000rpm and idle, then progressively increase it until you are pulling only about 8-10% in the midrange, 2500-4000 rpm range. After that you can pull maybe 5% and then leave it until redline. This would probably get you more power right off the bat and still be safe enough.
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: one other thing.....none svt - 02/28/06 05:18 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
Originally posted by bnoon:

By the way, I disagree with Mr. Hahn. You can run the 3L with 19# injectors just fine on the stock ECU without throwing a code.

pssst. He doesnt have an svt which means he will have to upgrade his injectors to at least 19 lb. He will definetely need a tune. I think Todd proved my point. I stand by my original comment.

Psst back... I ran mine without a tune on the 19's, and later even with the 24's for almost 3 years. Never threw a rich code (though had a couple for exhaust leaks along the way). Stock SE ECU will run it fine for the time being, but as I said earlier, there's probably some power left in any custom combination without a custom tune.
© CEG Archives